[FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

[FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

Julian Markwort
Hello psql-hackers!

TL:DR;
We extended the functionality of pg_stat_statements so it can track
worst and best case execution plans.

Based on a suggestion of my colleague Arne Scheffer, Marius Timmer and I
extended pg_stat_statements so it can also record execution plans,
whenever the execution time is exceeded (or deceeded) by a definable
factor.
We were largely inspired by the pg_stat_plans extension by Peter
Geoghegan and Simon Riggs - we don't claim any originality on this part
- which is unfortunately not available on newer postgresql versions.
There are a few differences which will become apparent in the following
lines.

By default, the modified pg_stat_statements extension will now track
good plans and bad plans for each entry in pg_stat_statements.
The plans are not normalized or hashed (as opposed to pg_stat_plans),
they represent discreet statements.
A good plan is saved, whenever this sort of query has been used for the
first time or the time of the previously recorded good plan has been
deceeded by a smaller factor than 0.9 .
Analogous to this, a bad_plan is saved, when the time has been exceeded
by a factor greater than 1.1 .
There are GUCs available so these parameters can be tuned to your
liking. Tracking can be disabled for both plans individually.
A plan_format can be defined to enable better readability or
processability through other tools.

You can reset your good and bad plans by using a
select on pg_stat_statements_good_plan_reset([queryid]);
resetting bad plans uses pg_stat_statements_bad_plan_reset, obviously.
In case of a reset, the execution time, timestamp and plan itself are
just set to 0 respective NULL.

The pg_stat_statements view now provides six extra columns:
good_plan, good_plan_time, good_plan_timestamp, bad_plan, bad_plan_time
and bad_plan_timestamp.

Plans are only displayed if the showtext argument is true and the user
is the superuser or the user who has been associated with that entry.

Furthermore, we implemented a GUC that allows you to control the maximum
refresh frequency to avoid performance impacts on restarts or resets.
A plan is only updated when tracking is enabled and more time than
"plan_min_interval" has passed (default: 5 seconds) and the previously
mentioned conditions for the execution time have been met.

The major selling point of this feature?
Beeing able to find plans that need optimization (e.g. by creating
indexes). As pg_stat_statements tracks normalized queries, there might
be certain values or even daytimes that result in very bad plans, while
others result in perfectly fine plans.
Of course, the GUC log_min_duration_statement can also detect long
runners, but the advantage of pg_stat_statements is that we count the
total calls of normalized queries, which enables us to find plans, that
don't count as long runners, while their aggregated time might show
shortcomings regarding their plans.

We've found this sort of tool really useful when dealing with queries
produced by ORM libraries, where optimization is not intuitive.

Various tests using pg_bench suggest that this extension does not worsen
the performance of the database.

We're really looking forward to your opinions and feedback on this
feature patch
Julian, Marius and Arne

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

pgss_plans_v01.patch (37K) Download Attachment

Re: [FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

Simon Riggs
On 25 January 2017 at 17:34, Julian Markwort
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Analogous to this, a bad_plan is saved, when the time has been exceeded by a
> factor greater than 1.1 .

...and the plan differs?

Sounds good.

Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: [FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

David Steele
In reply to this post by Julian Markwort
Hi Julian,

On 1/25/17 12:34 PM, Julian Markwort wrote:

> TL:DR;
> We extended the functionality of pg_stat_statements so it can track
> worst and best case execution plans.

pg_stat_statements is an important tool and perhaps one of the most used
core extensions.  Any improvements would be greatly welcome by the admin
community, I'm sure.

However, this is a rather large change which could be destabilizing to
the many users of this extension.  Even though the patch was posted well
in advance of the last CF it has received little discussion so is
essentially new.

I recommend moving this patch to the 2017-07 CF.

-David
[hidden email]

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: [FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

Peter Eisentraut-6
In reply to this post by Simon Riggs
On 1/25/17 12:43, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 25 January 2017 at 17:34, Julian Markwort
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Analogous to this, a bad_plan is saved, when the time has been exceeded by a
>> factor greater than 1.1 .
> ...and the plan differs?
> Probably best to use some stat math to calculate deviation, rather than fixed %.

Yeah, it seems to me too that this needs a bit more deeper analysis.  I
don't see offhand why a 10% deviation in execution time would be a
reasonable threshold for "good" or "bad".  A deviation approach like you
allude to would be better.

The other problem is that this measures execution time, which can vary
for reasons other than plan.  I would have expected that the cost
numbers are tracked somehow.

There is also the issue of generic vs specific plans, which this
approach might be papering over.

Needs more thought.

Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: [FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

Julian Markwort
In reply to this post by David Steele
> Any improvements would be greatly welcome by the admin
> community, I'm sure.
That's good to hear - on the other hand, I really appreciate the opinion
of admins on this idea!
> However, this is a rather large change which could be destabilizing to
> the many users of this extension.
I'm fully aware of that, which is why there are already several switches
in place so you can keep using the existing functionality without
compromises or added complexity.
At the same time, I'm always open to suggestions regarding the reduction
of complexity and probably more importantly the reduction of disk IO.
> I recommend moving this patch to the 2017-07 CF.
Since I do not have very much time for this at the moment I'll be
looking forward to discussions on this patch in the next commitfest!

kind regards
Julian

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: [FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

David Steele
Hi Julian,

On 3/4/17 8:41 AM, Julian Markwort wrote:

>> Any improvements would be greatly welcome by the admin
>> community, I'm sure.
> That's good to hear - on the other hand, I really appreciate the opinion
> of admins on this idea!
>> However, this is a rather large change which could be destabilizing to
>> the many users of this extension.
> I'm fully aware of that, which is why there are already several switches
> in place so you can keep using the existing functionality without
> compromises or added complexity.
> At the same time, I'm always open to suggestions regarding the reduction
> of complexity and probably more importantly the reduction of disk IO.
>> I recommend moving this patch to the 2017-07 CF.
> Since I do not have very much time for this at the moment I'll be
> looking forward to discussions on this patch in the next commitfest!

Since some concerns were raised about the implementation, I have instead
marked this "Returned with Feedback".  I encourage you to continue
developing the patch with the community and resubmit into the
appropriate CF when it is ready.

-David
[hidden email]

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: [FEATURE PATCH] pg_stat_statements with plans

Julian Markwort
In reply to this post by Peter Eisentraut-6
Alright, for the next version of this patch I'll look into standard
deviation (an implementation of Welfords' algorithm already exists in
pg_stat_statements).

On 3/4/17 14:18, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The other problem is that this measures execution time, which can vary
> for reasons other than plan.  I would have expected that the cost
> numbers are tracked somehow.
I've already thought of tracking specific parts of the explanation, like
the cost numbers, instead of the whole string, I'll think of something,
but if anybody has any bright ideas in the meantime, I'd gladly listen
to them.

> There is also the issue of generic vs specific plans, which this
> approach might be papering over.
Would you be so kind and elaborate a little bit on this? I'm not sure if
I understand this correctly. This patch only tracks specific plans, yes.
The inital idea was that there might be some edge-cases that are not
apparent when looking at generalized plans or queries.

kind regards
Julian

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Julian Markwort
Hello hackers,

I'd like to follow up to my previous proposition of tracking (some) best
and worst plans for different queries in the pg_stat_statements extension.

Based on the comments and suggestions made towards my last endeavour,
I've taken the path of computing the interquartile distance (by means of
an adapted z-test, under the assumption of normal distribution, based on
the mean_time and stddev_time already used by the extension).

A bad plan is recorded, if there is no previously recorded plan, or if
the current execution time is greater than the maximum of the previously
recorded plan's time and the query's mean+1.5*interquartile_distance.
A good plan is recorded on a similar condition; The execution time needs
to be shorter than the minimum of the previously recorded good plan's
time and the query's mean-1.5*interquartile_distance.

The boundaries are chosen to resemble the boundaries for whiskers in
boxplots.
Using these boundaries, plans will be updated very seldomly, as long as
they are more or less normally distributed.
Changes in the plans (for example the use of indices) used for each kind
of query will most likely result in execution times exceeding these
boundaries, so such changes are (very probably) recorded.

The ideal solution would be to compare the current plan with the last
plan and only update when there is a difference between them, however I
think this is unreasonably complex and a rather expensive task to
compute on the completion of every query.

The intent of this patch is to provide a quick insight into the plans
currently used by the database for the execution of certain queries. The
tracked plans only represent instances of queries with very good or very
poor performance.

I've (re)submitted this patch for the next commitfest as well.

Kind regards
Julian

On 03/04/2017 02:56 PM, Julian Markwort wrote:

> Alright, for the next version of this patch I'll look into standard
> deviation (an implementation of Welfords' algorithm already exists in
> pg_stat_statements).
> On 3/4/17 14:18, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The other problem is that this measures execution time, which can vary
>> for reasons other than plan.  I would have expected that the cost
>> numbers are tracked somehow.
> I've already thought of tracking specific parts of the explanation,
> like the cost numbers, instead of the whole string, I'll think of
> something, but if anybody has any bright ideas in the meantime, I'd
> gladly listen to them.
>> There is also the issue of generic vs specific plans, which this
>> approach might be papering over.
> Would you be so kind and elaborate a little bit on this? I'm not sure
> if I understand this correctly. This patch only tracks specific plans,
> yes. The inital idea was that there might be some edge-cases that are
> not apparent when looking at generalized plans or queries.
> kind regards
> Julian

pgss_plans_v02.patch (36K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

David Fetter
On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 03:05:39PM +0100, Julian Markwort wrote:
> Hello hackers,
> I'd like to follow up to my previous proposition of tracking (some) best and
> worst plans for different queries in the pg_stat_statements extension.
> Based on the comments and suggestions made towards my last endeavour, I've
> taken the path of computing the interquartile distance (by means of an
> adapted z-test, under the assumption of normal distribution, based on the
> mean_time and stddev_time already used by the extension).

Is the assumption of a normal distribution reasonable for outlier
plans as you've seen them?

Best,
David.
David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> http://fetter.org/
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Julian Markwort
On 01/11/2018 03:43 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> Is the assumption of a normal distribution reasonable for outlier
> plans as you've seen them?
This is a difficult but fair question.
First of all, I'd like to clarify that the normal distribution is
assumed for the set of all execution times matching a queryid; No
assumptions are made about the distribution of the outliers themselves.
The primary goal of this approach was the limitation of plan updates, to
avoid unnecessary IO operations.
When query performance does not vary much, no updates of the plans
should be necessary, but as soon as query performance varies too much,
the new plan should be stored.
For the purpose of distinguishing reasonable variance between execution
times and great variance due to changing conditions which ultimately
might result in a different plan, the assumption of a normal
distribution for all execution times suits well.

Based on some early testing, this results in only a few percent of
updates (1-3%) in relation to the total number of calls, when running
some short pgbench tests.
As the sample size grows, the assumption of a normal distribution
becomes increasingly accurate and the (unnecessary) sampling of plans
decreases.
In a different test, I ran several queries with identical table sizes,
the queries were fairly simple,  and the statistical evaluation led to
few updates during these tests. When I increased the table size
significantly, the database switched to a different plan. Because the
execution time differed significantly, this new bad plan was stored.
Similarly, after running a certain query a couple of times, I created an
index on my test data, which resulted in a speedup which was significant
enough to result in an update of the good plan.

Now, if a change to the data or the index situation only resulted in an
insignificant performance increase or decrease (one that falls into the
interval defined as [mean - 1.5*IQD, mean + 1-5*IQD] ), I think it might
be possible to assume that we are not interested in an updated plan for
this scenario.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Andres Freund
In reply to this post by Julian Markwort

On 2018-01-10 15:05:39 +0100, Julian Markwort wrote:
> I'd like to follow up to my previous proposition of tracking (some) best and
> worst plans for different queries in the pg_stat_statements extension.

Cool feature.

I think the patch probably doesn't apply anymore, due to other changes
to pg_stat_statements since its posting. Could you refresh?

I've not done any sort of review. Scrolling through I noticed //
comments which aren't pg coding style.

I'd like to see a small benchmark showing the overhead of the feature.
Both in runtime and storage size.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Julian Markwort
Andres Freund wrote on 2018-03-01:
> I think the patch probably doesn't apply anymore, due to other changes
> to pg_stat_statements since its posting. Could you refresh?

> I've not done any sort of review. Scrolling through I noticed //
> comments which aren't pg coding style.

I'll fix that along with any other problems that might be found in a review.

> I'd like to see a small benchmark showing the overhead of the feature.
> Both in runtime and storage size.

The results of the ten successive tests, each running 60 seconds and then waiting for 30 seconds, are displayed in the attached plot.
I've tinkered with different settings with pgbench for quite some time now and all I can come up with are runs with high variance between them.

Finally, the more interesting metric regarding this patch is the size of the pg_stat_statements.stat file, which stores all the metrics while the database is shut down. I reckon that the size of pgss_query_texts.stat (which holds only the query strings and plan strings while the database is running) will be similar, however it might fluctuate more as new strings are simply appended to the file until the garbagecollector decides that it has to be cleaned up.
After running the aforementioned tests, the file was 8566 bytes in size for pgss in it's unmodified form, while the tests resulted in 32607 bytes for the pgss that collects plans as well. This seems reasonable as plans strings are usually longer than the statements from which they result. Worst case, the pg_stat_statements.stat holds two plans for each type of statement.
I've not tested the length of the file with different encodings, such as JSON, YAML, or XML, however I do not expect any hugely different results.

Greetings
Julian

pgss_plans_pgbench.pdf (17K) Download Attachment

Andres Freund
On 2018-03-02 18:07:32 +0100, Julian Markwort wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote on 2018-03-01:
> > I think the patch probably doesn't apply anymore, due to other changes
> > to pg_stat_statements since its posting. Could you refresh?
> pgss_plans_v02.patch applies cleanly to master, there were no changes to pg_stat_statements since the copyright updates at the beginning of January.
> (pgss_plans_v02.patch is attached to message [hidden email] and can be found in the current commitfest as well.)

Yea, I misread the diff to think you added a conflicting version. Due
to:
-DATA =3D pg_stat_statements--1.4.sql pg_stat_statements--1.4--1.5.sql \
+DATA =3D pg_stat_statements--1.5.sql pg_stat_statements--1.4--1.5.sql \

and I'd checked that 1.5 already exists. But you just renamed the file,
presumably because it's essentially rewriting the whole file?  I'm not
sure I'm a big fan of doing so, because that makes testing the upgrade
path more work.

> I've tried to gather some meaningful results, however either my testing methodology was flawed (as variance between all my passes of pgbench was rather high) or the takeaway is that the feature only generates little overhead.
> This is what I've run on my workstation using a Ryzen 1700 and 16GB of RAM and an old Samsung 840 Evo as boot drive, which also held the database:
> The database used for the tests was dropped and pgbench initialized anew for each test (pgss off, pgss on, pgss on with plan collection) using a scaling of 16437704*0.003~=50 (roughly what the phoronix test suite uses for a buffer test).
> Also similar to the phoronix test suite, I used 8 jobs and 32 connections for a normal multithreaded load.
> I then ran 10 passes, each for 60 seconds, with a 30 second pause between them, as well as another test which ran for 10 minutes.

What workload did you run? read/write or readonly? This seems like a
feature were readonly makes a lot more sense. But ~1800 tps strongly
suggests that's not what you did?

That's quite some overhead, I'd say.

I'd suggest disabling turboost, in my experience that makes tests
painful to repeat, because it'll strongly depend on the current HW
temperature.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Andres Freund <[hidden email]> writes:
> Yea, I misread the diff to think you added a conflicting version. Due
> to:
> -DATA =3D pg_stat_statements--1.4.sql pg_stat_statements--1.4--1.5.sql \
> +DATA =3D pg_stat_statements--1.5.sql pg_stat_statements--1.4--1.5.sql \

> and I'd checked that 1.5 already exists. But you just renamed the file,
> presumably because it's essentially rewriting the whole file?  I'm not
> sure I'm a big fan of doing so, because that makes testing the upgrade
> path more work.

Yeah, that is not project style anymore.  Just add a delta file and leave
it at that.  See e.g. de1d042f5979bc1388e9a6d52a4d445342b04932 for an
example.

(We might from time to time roll up the deltas and replace the base
file with a newer version, but I think that should happen in separate
housekeeping commits.)

Julian Markwort
In reply to this post by Andres Freund
Andres Freund wrote on 2018-03-02:
> Yea, I misread the diff to think you added a conflicting version. Due
> to:
> -DATA =3D pg_stat_statements--1.4.sql pg_stat_statements--1.4--1.5.sql \
> +DATA =3D pg_stat_statements--1.5.sql pg_stat_statements--1.4--1.5.sql \

> and I'd checked that 1.5 already exists. But you just renamed the file,
> presumably because it's essentially rewriting the whole file?  I'm not
> sure I'm a big fan of doing so, because that makes testing the upgrade
> path more work.

> What workload did you run? read/write or readonly? This seems like a
> feature were readonly makes a lot more sense. But ~1800 tps strongly
> suggests that's not what you did?

I'm sorry I forgot to mention this; I ran all tests as read-write.

> > With pg_stat_statements on, the latter test (10 minutes) resulted in 1833 tps, while the patched version resulted in 1700 tps, so a little over 7% overhead? Well, the "control run", without pg_stat_statements delivered only 1806 tps, so variance seems to be quite high.

> That's quite some overhead, I'd say.

Yes, but I wouldn't give a warranty that it is neither more nor less overhead than 7%, seeing as for my testing, the tps were higher for (unmodified) pgss enabled vs no pgss at all.

> > If anybody has any recommendations for a setup that generates less variance, I'll try this again.

> I'd suggest disabling turboost, in my experience that makes tests
> painful to repeat, because it'll strongly depend on the current HW
> temperature.
This might be a problem for average systems but I'm fairly certain this isn't the issue here.

I might try some more benchmarks and will in particular look into running read-only tests, as the aforementioned 840 EVO SSD ist -comparatively speaking- pretty slow.
Do you have any recommendations as to what constitutes adequate testing times regarding pgbench?

Kind regards
Julian

Julian Markwort <[hidden email]> writes:
> Andres Freund wrote on 2018-03-02:
>> and I'd checked that 1.5 already exists. But you just renamed the file,
>> presumably because it's essentially rewriting the whole file?  I'm not
>> sure I'm a big fan of doing so, because that makes testing the upgrade
>> path more work.

> You're right about 1.5 already existing. I wasn't sure about the versioning policy for extensions and seeing as version 1.5 only changed a few grants I quasi reused 1.5 for my intentions.

Nope, that's totally wrong.  You can get away with that if we've not
already shipped a 1.5 release --- but we did ship it in v10, so that
version is frozen now.  You need to make your changes in a 1.5--1.6
upgrade file.  Otherwise there's no clean path for existing installations
to upgrade to the new version.

Julian Markwort
Tom Lane wrote on 2018-03-02:
> You need to make your changes in a 1.5--1.6
> upgrade file.  Otherwise there's no clean path for existing
> installations
> to upgrade to the new version.

I've adressed all the issues that were brought up so far:
1. there is now only an added 1.5--1.6.sql file.
2. the overhead, as previously discussed (as much as a 12% decrease in
TPS during read-only tests), is now gone, the problem was that I was
collecting the plan String before checking if it needed to be stored at
all.
The patched version is now 99.95% as fast as unmodified
pg_stat_statements.
3. I've cleaned up my own code and made sure it adheres to GNU C coding
style, I was guilty of some // comments and curly brackets were
sometimes in the same line as my control structures.

I'd love to hear more feedback, here are two ideas to polish this
patch:
a) Right now, good_plan and bad_plan collection can be activated and
deactivated with separate GUCs. I think it would be sensible to collect
either both or none. (This would result in fewer convoluted
conditionals.)
b) Would you like to be able to tune the percentiles yourself, to
adjust for the point at which a new plan is stored?

Greetings
Julian

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

Julian Markwort
I've goofed up now, sorry for failing to attach my updated patch.

Am Donnerstag, den 08.03.2018, 14:55 +0100 schrieb Julian Markwort:

> Tom Lane wrote on 2018-03-02:
> > You need to make your changes in a 1.5--1.6
> > upgrade file.  Otherwise there's no clean path for existing
> > installations
> > to upgrade to the new version.
> I've adressed all the issues that were brought up so far:
> 1. there is now only an added 1.5--1.6.sql file.
> 2. the overhead, as previously discussed (as much as a 12% decrease
> in
> TPS during read-only tests), is now gone, the problem was that I was
> collecting the plan String before checking if it needed to be stored
> at
> all.
> The patched version is now 99.95% as fast as unmodified
> pg_stat_statements.
> 3. I've cleaned up my own code and made sure it adheres to GNU C
> coding
> style, I was guilty of some // comments and curly brackets were
> sometimes in the same line as my control structures.
> I'd love to hear more feedback, here are two ideas to polish this
> patch:
> a) Right now, good_plan and bad_plan collection can be activated and
> deactivated with separate GUCs. I think it would be sensible to
> collect
> either both or none. (This would result in fewer convoluted
> conditionals.)
> b) Would you like to be able to tune the percentiles yourself, to
> adjust for the point at which a new plan is stored?
> Greetings
> Julian

pgss_plans_v03.patch (41K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

a.zakirov
Greetings,

On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 02:58:34PM +0100, Julian Markwort wrote:
> > I'd love to hear more feedback, here are two ideas to polish this
> > patch:
> > a) Right now, good_plan and bad_plan collection can be activated and
> > deactivated with separate GUCs. I think it would be sensible to
> > collect
> > either both or none. (This would result in fewer convoluted
> > conditionals.)
> > b) Would you like to be able to tune the percentiles yourself, to
> > adjust for the point at which a new plan is stored?

I'd like to review the patch and leave a feedback. I tested it with
different indexes on same table and with same queries and it works fine.

First of all, GUC variables and functions. How about union
'pg_stat_statements.good_plan_enable' and
'pg_stat_statements.bad_plan_enable' into
'pg_stat_statements.track_plan' with GUC_LIST_INPUT flag? It may accept
comma separated values 'good' and 'bad'. It lets to add another tracking
type in future without adding new variable.

In same manner pg_stat_statements_good_plan_reset() and
pg_stat_statements_bad_plan_reset() functions can be combined in
function:

pg_stat_statements_plan_reset(in queryid bigint, in good boolean, in bad
boolean)

Further comments on the code.

+-- test to see if any plans have been recorded.
+SELECT
+  CASE WHEN good_plan_time > 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END,
+  CASE WHEN bad_plan_time > 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END,
+  CASE WHEN good_plan_timestamp >= timestamp '1970-01-01 00:00:00' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END,

I think here is a typo. Last case should be bad_plan_timestamp.

+ good_plan_str = palloc(1 * sizeof(char));
+ *good_plan_str = '\0';
...
+ bad_plan_str = palloc(1 * sizeof(char));
+ *bad_plan_str = '\0';

Here we can use empty string literals instead of pallocs. For example:

const char *good_plan_str;
const char *bad_plan_str;
...
good_plan_str = "";
...
bad_plan_str = "";

+ interquartile_dist = 2.0*(0.6745 * sqrt(e->counters.sum_var_time / e->counters.calls));

It is worth to check e->counters.calls for zero here. Because the entry
can be sticky.

Arthur Zakirov
Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
Russian Postgres Company

Arthur Zakirov
Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
Russian Postgres Company

Julian Markwort
Arthur Zakirov wrote on 2018-03-09:
> I'd like to review the patch and leave a feedback. I tested it with
> different indexes on same table and with same queries and it works fine.

Thanks for taking some time to review my patch, Arthur!

> First of all, GUC variables and functions. How about union
> 'pg_stat_statements.good_plan_enable' and
> 'pg_stat_statements.bad_plan_enable' into
> 'pg_stat_statements.track_plan' with GUC_LIST_INPUT flag? It may accept
> comma separated values 'good' and 'bad'. It lets to add another tracking
> type in future without adding new variable.

This sounds like a good idea to me; Somebody already suggested that tracking an "average plan" would be interesting as well, however I don't have any clever ideas on how to identify such a plan.

> In same manner pg_stat_statements_good_plan_reset() and
> pg_stat_statements_bad_plan_reset() functions can be combined in
> function:

> pg_stat_statements_plan_reset(in queryid bigint, in good boolean, in bad
> boolean)

This is also sensible, however if any more kinds of plans would be added in the future, there would be a lot of flags in this function. I think having varying amounts of flags (between extension versions) as arguments to the function also makes any upgrade paths difficult. Thinking more about this, we could also user function overloading to avoid this.
An alternative would be to have the caller pass the type of plan he wants to reset. Omitting the type would result in the deletion of all plans, maybe?
pg_stat_statements_plan_reset(in queryid bigint, in plan_type text)

I'm not sure if there are any better ways to do this?

> Further comments on the code.
 You're right about all of those, thanks!

Previous Thread Next Thread