2 articles

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2 articles

Neil Conway-2
I didn't see these posted here:

http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/news/04282005.asp
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1821359,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000608

-Neil

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Andy Astor
Regarding the eWeek article, Lisa Vaas's included several unfortunate
inaccuracies, even after she updated it with my comments. Most important
for this audience, though, is her implication that EnterpriseDB hasn't
contacted the development team. As many of you know, we have been -- and
are -- working with several community leaders/members to find the right
ways to contribute. Much of that thought process was undercover until a
couple of weeks ago, when we emerged from stealth, but will be much more
public over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Neil Conway
> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:44 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [pgsql-advocacy] 2 articles
>
> I didn't see these posted here:
>
> http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/news/04282005.asp
>
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1821359,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K000
06
> 08
>
> -Neil
>
> ---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings



---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Christopher Kings-Lynne
Well, she implied with quoting my comment that "most developers were
unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with the community".  I'd never
heard anything about you, so of course I said I didn't remember you
contacting the list.  If that's all been private between EnterpriseDB
and some special developers, then it just makes me look stupid, doesn't it?

Andy Astor wrote:

> Regarding the eWeek article, Lisa Vaas's included several unfortunate
> inaccuracies, even after she updated it with my comments. Most important
> for this audience, though, is her implication that EnterpriseDB hasn't
> contacted the development team. As many of you know, we have been -- and
> are -- working with several community leaders/members to find the right
> ways to contribute. Much of that thought process was undercover until a
> couple of weeks ago, when we emerged from stealth, but will be much more
> public over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: [hidden email] [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-
>>[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Neil Conway
>>Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:44 PM
>>To: [hidden email]
>>Subject: [pgsql-advocacy] 2 articles
>>
>>I didn't see these posted here:
>>
>>http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/news/04282005.asp
>>
>
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1821359,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K000
> 06
>
>>08
>>
>>-Neil
>>
>>---------------------------(end of
>
> broadcast)---------------------------
>
>>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Robert Treat
I think the article was accurate (well on this point anyway)... most
developers were, and still are, unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with
the community, so it seems pretty natural to me you wouldn't have remembered
much about them.  

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 06:50, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Well, she implied with quoting my comment that "most developers were
> unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with the community".  I'd never
> heard anything about you, so of course I said I didn't remember you
> contacting the list.  If that's all been private between EnterpriseDB
> and some special developers, then it just makes me look stupid, doesn't it?
>
> Andy Astor wrote:
> > Regarding the eWeek article, Lisa Vaas's included several unfortunate
> > inaccuracies, even after she updated it with my comments. Most important
> > for this audience, though, is her implication that EnterpriseDB hasn't
> > contacted the development team. As many of you know, we have been -- and
> > are -- working with several community leaders/members to find the right
> > ways to contribute. Much of that thought process was undercover until a
> > couple of weeks ago, when we emerged from stealth, but will be much more
> > public over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...
> >
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: [hidden email] [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-
> >>[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Neil Conway
> >>Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:44 PM
> >>To: [hidden email]
> >>Subject: [pgsql-advocacy] 2 articles
> >>
> >>I didn't see these posted here:
> >>
> >>http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/news/04282005.asp
> >
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1821359,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K000
> > 06
> >
> >>08
> >>
> >>-Neil
> >>
> >>---------------------------(end of
> >
> > broadcast)---------------------------
> >
> >>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
> >
> > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> > TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

--
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Bruce Momjian-2
Robert Treat wrote:
> I think the article was accurate (well on this point anyway)... most
> developers were, and still are, unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with
> the community, so it seems pretty natural to me you wouldn't have remembered
> much about them.  

Yea, they have been talking to specific community members while they
were in stealth mode and now that they are public they are working on
stuff, but companies can't broadcast everything they do and still be
effective, so yea, the article was right that few know about them, but
they just started, so that is natural.  I am not sure what the _point_
of the article was, really, other than to try to find a problem that
is to be expected from a company just opening up to the community.

Enterprisedb announced, Lisa writes a positive article, then a week
later writes an article that the community doesn't know much about them.
Well, yea, it has only been a week.  :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


>
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 06:50, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Well, she implied with quoting my comment that "most developers were
> > unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with the community".  I'd never
> > heard anything about you, so of course I said I didn't remember you
> > contacting the list.  If that's all been private between EnterpriseDB
> > and some special developers, then it just makes me look stupid, doesn't it?
> >
> > Andy Astor wrote:
> > > Regarding the eWeek article, Lisa Vaas's included several unfortunate
> > > inaccuracies, even after she updated it with my comments. Most important
> > > for this audience, though, is her implication that EnterpriseDB hasn't
> > > contacted the development team. As many of you know, we have been -- and
> > > are -- working with several community leaders/members to find the right
> > > ways to contribute. Much of that thought process was undercover until a
> > > couple of weeks ago, when we emerged from stealth, but will be much more
> > > public over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...
> > >
> > >>-----Original Message-----
> > >>From: [hidden email] [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-
> > >>[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Neil Conway
> > >>Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:44 PM
> > >>To: [hidden email]
> > >>Subject: [pgsql-advocacy] 2 articles
> > >>
> > >>I didn't see these posted here:
> > >>
> > >>http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/news/04282005.asp
> > >
> > > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1821359,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K000
> > > 06
> > >
> > >>08
> > >>
> > >>-Neil
> > >>
> > >>---------------------------(end of
> > >
> > > broadcast)---------------------------
> > >
> > >>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
> > >
> > > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> > > TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> >
> > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >
> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>
> --
> Robert Treat
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend
>

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [hidden email]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [hidden email])
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Josh berkus
In reply to this post by Robert Treat
Robert, Chris,

> I think the article was accurate (well on this point anyway)... most
> developers were, and still are, unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with
> the community, so it seems pretty natural to me you wouldn't have
> remembered much about them.

Pretty much.   It's normal for a pre-launch company to contact a couple of key
Core members but insist on secrecy until they're public.    In the US, it's
the law (SOX).  The only companies who have launched PostgreSQL-related
offerings in the last 3 years which have been a surprise were Metapa and
Netezza (and both companies have friendly relationships with us now, alougth
only Metapa/GreenPlum has contributed to date).

Obviously, though, I should have followed up here with commentary about
EnterpriseDB after they launched.   Sorry, I've been pulled in a lot of
different directions lately.

I did contact Lisa Vaas and fill her in.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

               http://archives.postgresql.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Bruce Momjian-2
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert, Chris,
>
> > I think the article was accurate (well on this point anyway)... most
> > developers were, and still are, unaware of EnterpriseDB's interaction with
> > the community, so it seems pretty natural to me you wouldn't have
> > remembered much about them.
>
> Pretty much.   It's normal for a pre-launch company to contact a couple of key
> Core members but insist on secrecy until they're public.    In the US, it's
> the law (SOX).  The only companies who have launched PostgreSQL-related
> offerings in the last 3 years which have been a surprise were Metapa and
> Netezza (and both companies have friendly relationships with us now, alougth
> only Metapa/GreenPlum has contributed to date).

Do we have any relationship with Netezza?  If so, I have not heard it.

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [hidden email]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Josh berkus
Bruce,

> > Pretty much.   It's normal for a pre-launch company to contact a couple
> > of key Core members but insist on secrecy until they're public.    In the
> > US, it's the law (SOX).  The only companies who have launched
> > PostgreSQL-related offerings in the last 3 years which have been a
> > surprise were Metapa and Netezza (and both companies have friendly
> > relationships with us now, alougth only Metapa/GreenPlum has contributed
> > to date).
>
> Do we have any relationship with Netezza?  If so, I have not heard it.

Sort of.  They offered to donate $$$ to the foundation as soon as we get our
501(c)3.  And provided a nice quote at one point.  I've not really followed
up with them since I have a conflict of interest.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 articles

Bruce Momjian-2
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> > > Pretty much.   It's normal for a pre-launch company to contact a couple
> > > of key Core members but insist on secrecy until they're public.    In the
> > > US, it's the law (SOX).  The only companies who have launched
> > > PostgreSQL-related offerings in the last 3 years which have been a
> > > surprise were Metapa and Netezza (and both companies have friendly
> > > relationships with us now, alougth only Metapa/GreenPlum has contributed
> > > to date).
> >
> > Do we have any relationship with Netezza?  If so, I have not heard it.
>
> Sort of.  They offered to donate $$$ to the foundation as soon as we get our
> 501(c)3.  And provided a nice quote at one point.  I've not really followed
> up with them since I have a conflict of interest.

Oh, good.

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [hidden email]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings