Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

Atsushi Torikoshi
Hi,

When track_io_timing is on, I/O timing information is
displayed in pg_stat_database, in the output of EXPLAIN
when the BUFFERS option is used, and in pg_stat_statements
as documented in [1].

This is also described in the manual for pg_stat_statements
[2], however, manuals for pg_stat_database and EXPLAIN
doesn't refer to it.

I think it'll be better to add descriptions to both of them

Regards,

--
Atsushi Torikoshi

add_explanation_for_track_io_timing.patch (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

Fujii Masao-4


On 2020/05/13 21:54, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When track_io_timing is on, I/O timing information is
> displayed in pg_stat_database, in the output of EXPLAIN
> when the BUFFERS option is used, and in pg_stat_statements
> as documented in [1].
>
> This is also described in the manual for pg_stat_statements
> [2], however, manuals for pg_stat_database and EXPLAIN
> doesn't refer to it.
>
> I think it'll be better to add descriptions to both of them
> for consistency.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

+      in milliseconds(if <xref linkend="guc-track-io-timing"/> is enabled,
+      otherwise zero)

It's better to add a space character just after "seconds".

-      written.
+      written. In addition, If <xref linkend="guc-track-io-timing"/> is enabled,
+      also include I/O Timings.

Isn't it better to just use clearer description like "the time reading and
writing data blocks" here instead of "I/O Timing"?
What about the attached patch based on yours?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

add_explanation_for_track_io_timing_v2.patch (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

Atsushi Torikoshi
Thanks for reviewing!

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:27 PM Fujii Masao <[hidden email]> wrote:
What about the attached patch based on yours?

It looks better.

Regards,

--
Atsushi Torikoshi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

Fujii Masao-4


On 2020/05/15 9:50, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:
> Thanks for reviewing!
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:27 PM Fujii Masao <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     What about the attached patch based on yours?
>
>
> It looks better.

Pushed. Thanks!

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Add explanations which are influenced by track_io_timing

Atsushi Torikoshi

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 11:37 PM Fujii Masao <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 2020/05/15 9:50, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:
> Thanks for reviewing!
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:27 PM Fujii Masao <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     What about the attached patch based on yours?
>
>
> It looks better.

Pushed. Thanks!

Thanks for reviewing and improvements!
 
Regards,

--
Atsushi Torikoshi