Add primary keys to system catalogs

Add primary keys to system catalogs

Peter Eisentraut-6
I saw someone ask once for a schema diagram of the system catalogs.
Things like that have occasionally been produced manually, but they are
not regularly updated.  That made me wonder, why can't we add primary
and foreign keys to system catalogs and then have existing tools produce
such a schema diagram automatically?

Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key
for an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level
early bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually.
Another option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling
create those declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog
files.  That would also allow declaring unique constraints for the
unique indexes that don't end up being the primary key.

I'm not dealing here with how we might do foreign keys between system
catalogs, but I think the idea would be to have some way to declare a
foreign key "on paper" without any actual triggers.

Any thoughts on this direction?

Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

0001-Add-primary-keys-to-system-catalogs.patch (13K) Download Attachment

Craig Ringer-5

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020, 14:40 Peter Eisentraut, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw someone ask once for a schema diagram of the system catalogs.
Things like that have occasionally been produced manually, but they are
not regularly updated.  That made me wonder, why can't we add primary
and foreign keys to system catalogs and then have existing tools produce
such a schema diagram automatically?

Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key
for an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level
early bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually.
Another option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling
create those declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog
files.  That would also allow declaring unique constraints for the
unique indexes that don't end up being the primary key.

Any thoughts on this direction?

I like the general idea a lot. I've used Pg for a long time and I still struggle to march up relationships sometimes. Especially given that some things use relation oid oid keys and some use named cols as keys.

I don't object to simply declaring them without any implementing triggers. You aren't supposed to mess with the catalogs anyway. I'd actually like it to be defended against more actively by default. So the FKs are implicitly always valid, because the implementation says so. Much the same way trigger based FKs are unless you break the rules and mess with the triggers.

Bruce Momjian
On Sat, Oct  3, 2020 at 09:27:02PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 2020, 14:40 Peter Eisentraut, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>     I saw someone ask once for a schema diagram of the system catalogs.
>     Things like that have occasionally been produced manually, but they are
>     not regularly updated.  That made me wonder, why can't we add primary
>     and foreign keys to system catalogs and then have existing tools produce
>     such a schema diagram automatically?
>     Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key
>     for an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level
>     early bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually.
>     Another option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling
>     create those declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog
>     files.  That would also allow declaring unique constraints for the
>     unique indexes that don't end up being the primary key.
>     Any thoughts on this direction?
> I like the general idea a lot. I've used Pg for a long time and I still
> struggle to march up relationships sometimes. Especially given that some things
> use relation oid oid keys and some use named cols as keys.
> the relation 'oid' attribute has a declared PK and includes it in the column
> list.

> I don't object to simply declaring them without any implementing triggers. You
> aren't supposed to mess with the catalogs anyway. I'd actually like it to be
> defended against more actively by default. So the FKs are implicitly always
> valid, because the implementation says so. Much the same way trigger based FKs
> are unless you break the rules and mess with the triggers.
> or something and a way to mark them as NOT VALID. Rsther than expecting uses to
> fiddle with the implementation triggers. But I don't think FKs on system
> catalogs require that, it's just be cosmetic there.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee

John Naylor-3
In reply to this post by Craig Ringer-5

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:27 AM Craig Ringer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So a big +1 from me for the idea. Especially if we ensure psql recognises when the relation 'oid' attribute has a declared PK and includes it in the column list.

Oid has been in the normal column list since v12 when it stopped being a system column. Or did you mean something else?

Craig Ringer-5

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020, 01:32 John Naylor, <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:27 AM Craig Ringer <[hidden email]> wrote:

It means I've spent way too long working on extensions running mainly on pg11 lately and way too little reading -hackers. Ignore they bit.  Thanks..

Andres Freund
In reply to this post by Peter Eisentraut-6

On 2020-10-03 08:40:31 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key for
> an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level early
> bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually. Another
> option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling create those
> declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog files.  That
> would also allow declaring unique constraints for the unique indexes that
> don't end up being the primary key.

Hm. What prevents us from declaring the pkey during bootstrap? I don't
at all like adding yet another place that needs manual editing when
doing DDL changes.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Andres Freund <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2020-10-03 08:40:31 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key for
>> an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level early
>> bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually. Another
>> option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling create those
>> declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog files.  That
>> would also allow declaring unique constraints for the unique indexes that
>> don't end up being the primary key.

> Hm. What prevents us from declaring the pkey during bootstrap? I don't
> at all like adding yet another place that needs manual editing when
> doing DDL changes.

We don't add new catalogs often, so the cost-benefit ratio of automating
this looks pretty poor.  It's not like you'll be able to forget to do it,
given the proposed regression test check for catalogs without pkeys.

One thing I'm wondering about though is whether Peter's implementation
ends up with desirable pg_depend contents for the pkey constraints.
Probably we want them to just be pinned and not have any explicit
dependencies on the associated indexes, but I haven't thought hard
about it.

Andres Freund

On 2020-10-06 15:31:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Andres Freund <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On 2020-10-03 08:40:31 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key for
> >> an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level early
> >> bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually. Another
> >> option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling create those
> >> declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog files.  That
> >> would also allow declaring unique constraints for the unique indexes that
> >> don't end up being the primary key.
> > Hm. What prevents us from declaring the pkey during bootstrap? I don't
> > at all like adding yet another place that needs manual editing when
> > doing DDL changes.
> We don't add new catalogs often, so the cost-benefit ratio of automating
> this looks pretty poor.

True, we don't create new ones that often. Still think that distributing
such setup over fewer places is good. And it's not like there's only a
handful of pkeys to start with. To me it makes more sense to add a
DECLARE_PRIMARY_KEY in indexing.h, replacing the relevant
DECLARE_UNIQUE_INDEX stanzas. Or, possibly preferrable, do it as part of
the CATALOG() directly - which'd avoid needing the index statement in
the first place.

The Catalog.pm part is trivial. It's abit harder to implement actually
creating the constraint - but even the hard route of adding a new field
to Boot_DeclareIndexStmt or such wouldn't be particularly hard.

> One thing I'm wondering about though is whether Peter's implementation
> ends up with desirable pg_depend contents for the pkey constraints.
> Probably we want them to just be pinned and not have any explicit
> dependencies on the associated indexes, but I haven't thought hard
> about it.

That sounds right to me.

Wonder whether it's not time to move the DECLARE bits from indexing.h to
the individual catalogs, independent of what we're discussing here. With
todays Catalog.pm there's really not much point in keeping them
separate, imo.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

John Naylor-3

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 4:16 PM Andres Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
True, we don't create new ones that often. Still think that distributing
such setup over fewer places is good. And it's not like there's only a
handful of pkeys to start with. To me it makes more sense to add a
DECLARE_PRIMARY_KEY in indexing.h, replacing the relevant
DECLARE_UNIQUE_INDEX stanzas.

That seems logical.

Or, possibly preferrable, do it as part of
the CATALOG() directly - which'd avoid needing the index statement in
the first place.

That line is already messy in places. AFAICT, you'd still need info from the index statement (at least my shortened version below), leading to two syntaxes and two places for the same thing. Maybe I'm missing something?

Wonder whether it's not time to move the DECLARE bits from indexing.h to
the individual catalogs, independent of what we're discussing here. With
todays Catalog.pm there's really not much point in keeping them
separate, imo.

That would look nicer, at least. A declaration could go from

DECLARE_UNIQUE_INDEX(pg_subscription_rel_srrelid_srsubid_index, 6117, on pg_subscription_rel using btree(srrelid oid_ops, srsubid oid_ops));
#define SubscriptionRelSrrelidSrsubidIndexId 6117

to something like

DECLARE_UNIQUE_INDEX(btree(srrelid oid_ops, srsubid oid_ops), 6117, SubscriptionRelSrrelidSrsubidIndexId));

John Naylor
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Peter Eisentraut-6
In reply to this post by Peter Eisentraut-6
On 2020-10-03 08:40, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Since we have ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, we can declare a primary key
> for an existing index.  So this doesn't have to affect the low-level
> early bootstrapping.  The attached patch adds those commands manually.
> Another option might be to have the catalog generation Perl tooling
> create those declarations automatically from some marker in the catalog
> files.  That would also allow declaring unique constraints for the
> unique indexes that don't end up being the primary key.

I have reworked my patch like this.  Now, the primary key is identified
by using DECLARE_UNIQUE_INDEX_PKEY() instead of DECLARE_UNIQUE_INDEX()
in the catalog pg_*.h files.  This automatically generates the required
ALTER TABLE commands in a new file system_constraints.sql.  initdb is
ordered so that that file is run before dependency processing, so the
system constraints also end up pinned (as was requested during previous
discussion).

Note, this needs the get_constraint_index() patch I just posted
separately.  The old implementation of get_constraint_index() does not
handle pinned constraints.

There is something strange going on in the misc_sanity test, as seen by
the test output change

-NOTICE:  pg_constraint contains unpinned initdb-created object(s)

This previously detected some constraints from the information schema,
so it was correct to point those out.  But since it looks for the
min(oid) of a catalog, this will now find one of the new pinned
constraints, so it won't detect this case anymore.  I think that test is
not written correctly.

Peter Eisentraut
2ndQuadrant, an EDB company

v2-0001-Add-primary-keys-and-unique-constraints-to-system.patch (79K) Download Attachment

Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
> [ v2-0001-Add-primary-keys-and-unique-constraints-to-system.patch ]

I've reviewed this patch.  It looks pretty solid to me, with a couple
trivial nits as mentioned below, and one bigger thing that's perhaps
in the category of bikeshedding.  Namely, do we really want to prefer
using the OID indexes as the primary keys?  In most cases there's some
other index that seems to me to be what a user would think of as the
pkey, for example pg_class_relname_nsp_index for pg_class or
pg_proc_proname_args_nsp_index for pg_proc.  Preferring OID where it
exists is a nice simple rule, which has some attractiveness, but the
OID indexes seem to me like a lookup aid rather than the "real" object
identity.

> There is something strange going on in the misc_sanity test, as seen by
> the test output change
> -NOTICE:  pg_constraint contains unpinned initdb-created object(s)

Formerly the lowest OID in pg_constraint was that of the
information_schema.cardinal_number_domain_check CHECK constraint,
which is intentionally not pinned.  Now the lowest OID is that of
pg_proc_oid_index, which is pinned, hence the output change.  I think
that's fine.  The idea here is just to notice whether any catalogs have
been missed by setup_depend, and we have now proven that pg_constraint
wasn't missed, so it's cool.

The other catalog that is listed in the expected output, but is not
one of the ones intentionally excluded by setup_depend, is pg_rewrite.
That's because its lowest OID is a rewrite rule for a system view, which
we've intentionally made non-pinned.  So that's also fine, but maybe
it'd be worth explaining it in the comment above the DO block.

Anyway, on to the minor nits:

system_constraints.sql should be removed by the maintainer-clean target
in src/backend/catalog/Makefile; perhaps also mention it in the comment
for the clean target.  Also I suppose src/tools/msvc/clean.bat needs to
remove it, like it does postgres.bki.

The contents of system_constraints.sql seem pretty randomly ordered,
and I bet the order isn't stable across machines.  It would be wise
to sort the entries by name to ensure we don't get inconsistencies
between different builds.  (If nothing else, that could complicate
validating tarballs.)

I don't follow why the pg_seclabel, pg_shseclabel indexes aren't made
into pkeys?  There's a comment claiming they "use a nondefault operator
class", but that's untrue AFAICS.

Robert Haas
In reply to this post by Craig Ringer-5
On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:27 AM Craig Ringer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Frankly I think we really need a way to mark FKs to be DISABLED or NOT CHECKED or something and a way to mark them as NOT VALID. Rsther than expecting uses to fiddle with the implementation triggers. But I don't think FKs on system catalogs require that, it's just be cosmetic there.

Not really. I think the idea that users don't or shouldn't ever do
manual DDL on system catalogs is not very plausible, considering that
we suggest such steps in our own release notes.

I don't have any complaint about labelling some of the unique indexes
as primary keys, but I think installing foreign keys that don't really
enforce anything may lead to confusion.

Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Robert Haas <[hidden email]> writes:
> I don't have any complaint about labelling some of the unique indexes
> as primary keys, but I think installing foreign keys that don't really
> enforce anything may lead to confusion.

I'm not sure if I buy the "confusion" argument, but after thinking
about this more I realized that there's a stronger roadblock for
treating catalog interrelationships as SQL foreign keys.  Namely,
that we always represent no-reference situations with a zero OID,
whereas it'd have to be NULL to look like a valid foreign-key case.
Changing to real NULLs in those columns would of course break a ton
of C code, so I don't think that's gonna happen.

We could overlay an FK onto OID columns that should never have zero
entries, but that would miss enough of the interesting cases that
I don't find it a very attractive proposal.

So I think we should finish up the project of making real SQL
constraints for the catalog indexes, but the idea of making FK
constraints too looks like it'll end in failure.

The reason I got interested in this right now is the nearby
discussion [1] about why findoidjoins misses some catalog
relationships and whether we should fix that and/or make its results
more readily accessible.  I'd thought perhaps FK constraint entries
could supersede the need for that tool altogether, but now it seems
like not.  I still like the idea of marking OID relationships in the
catalog headers though.  Perhaps we should take Joel's suggestion
of a new system catalog more seriously, and have genbki.pl populate
such a catalog from info in the catalog header files.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/d1f413ff-0e50-413d-910c-bdd9ee9752c1%40www.fastmail.com

I wrote:
> ... I still like the idea of marking OID relationships in the
> catalog headers though.  Perhaps we should take Joel's suggestion
> of a new system catalog more seriously, and have genbki.pl populate
> such a catalog from info in the catalog header files.

On second thought, a catalog is overkill; it'd only be useful if the data
could change after initdb, which this data surely cannot.  The right way
to expose such info to SQL is with a set-returning function reading a
constant table in the C code, a la pg_get_keywords().  That way takes a
whole lot less infrastructure and is just as useful to SQL code.

[ wanders away wondering about a debug mode in which we actually validate
OIDs inserted into such columns... ]

Joel Jacobson-3
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021, at 19:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> On second thought, a catalog is overkill; it'd only be useful if the data
> could change after initdb, which this data surely cannot.  The right way
> to expose such info to SQL is with a set-returning function reading a
> constant table in the C code, a la pg_get_keywords().  That way takes a
> whole lot less infrastructure and is just as useful to SQL code.

Laurenz Albe
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 17:07 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
> > [ v2-0001-Add-primary-keys-and-unique-constraints-to-system.patch ]
> [...] do we really want to prefer
> using the OID indexes as the primary keys?  In most cases there's some
> other index that seems to me to be what a user would think of as the
> pkey, for example pg_class_relname_nsp_index for pg_class or
> pg_proc_proname_args_nsp_index for pg_proc.  Preferring OID where it
> exists is a nice simple rule, which has some attractiveness, but the
> OID indexes seem to me like a lookup aid rather than the "real" object
> identity.

I disagree.  The OID is the real, immutable identity of an object.
The "relname" of a "pg_class" encatalogtry can change any time.
Since there are no foreign keys that reference catalogs, that won't cause
problems, but I still think that primary keys should change as little as
possible.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Joel Jacobson-3
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021, at 18:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> I realized that there's a stronger roadblock for
> treating catalog interrelationships as SQL foreign keys.  Namely,
> that we always represent no-reference situations with a zero OID,
> whereas it'd have to be NULL to look like a valid foreign-key case.

Another roadblock is perhaps the lack of foreign keys on arrays,
which would be needed by the following references:

SELECT * FROM oidjoins WHERE column_type ~ '(vector|\[\])$' ORDER BY 1,2,3;
      table_name      |  column_name   | column_type | ref_table_name | ref_column_name
----------------------+----------------+-------------+----------------+-----------------
pg_constraint        | conexclop      | oid[]       | pg_operator    | oid
pg_policy            | polroles       | oid[]       | pg_authid      | oid
pg_proc              | proallargtypes | oid[]       | pg_type        | oid
pg_proc              | proargtypes    | oidvector   | pg_type        | oid
pg_statistic_ext     | stxkeys        | int2vector  | pg_attribute   | attnum
pg_trigger           | tgattr         | int2vector  | pg_attribute   | attnum
(18 rows)

I see there is an old thread with work in this area,  "Re: GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays":

The last message in the thread is from 2018-10-02:
>On Tue, 2 Oct, 2018 at 05:13:26AM +0200, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 05:20:57AM +0200, Mark Rofail wrote:
>> I am still having problems rebasing this patch. I can not figure it out on
>> my own.
>Okay, it's been a couple of months since this last email, and nothing
>has happened, so I am marking it as returned with feedback.
>--
>Michael

Personally, I would absolutely *love* FKs on array columns.
I always feel shameful when adding array columns to tables,
when the elements are PKs in some other table.
It's convenient and often the best design,
but it feels dirty knowing there are no FKs to help detect application bugs.

Let's hope the current FKs-on-catalog-discussion can ignite the old Foreign Key Arrays thread.

/Joel

>> other index that seems to me to be what a user would think of as the
>> pkey, for example pg_class_relname_nsp_index for pg_class or
>> pg_proc_proname_args_nsp_index for pg_proc.  Preferring OID where it
>> exists is a nice simple rule, which has some attractiveness, but the
>> OID indexes seem to me like a lookup aid rather than the "real" object
>> identity.
> I disagree.  The OID is the real, immutable identity of an object.
> The "relname" of a "pg_class" encatalogtry can change any time.
> Since there are no foreign keys that reference catalogs, that won't cause
> problems, but I still think that primary keys should change as little as
> possible.

This might be good advice for systems where the primary key defines the
physical layout of the table, but for postgres's heap there is no reason
not to prefer the natural key of the table.

My vote is with Tom on this one.
Vik Fearing

Mark Rofail
In reply to this post by Joel Jacobson-3
Dear Joel,

I would love to start working on this again, I tried to revive the patch again in 2019, however, I faced the same problems as last time (detailed in the thread) and I didn't get the support I needed to continue with this patch.

Are you willing to help rebase and finally publish this patch?

Best Regards,
Mark Rofail

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 2:22 PM Joel Jacobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021, at 18:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> I realized that there's a stronger roadblock for
> treating catalog interrelationships as SQL foreign keys.  Namely,
> that we always represent no-reference situations with a zero OID,
> whereas it'd have to be NULL to look like a valid foreign-key case.

Another roadblock is perhaps the lack of foreign keys on arrays,

The last message in the thread is from 2018-10-02:
>On Tue, 2 Oct, 2018 at 05:13:26AM +0200, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 05:20:57AM +0200, Mark Rofail wrote:
>> I am still having problems rebasing this patch. I can not figure it out on
>> my own.
>Okay, it's been a couple of months since this last email, and nothing
>has happened, so I am marking it as returned with feedback.
>--
>Michael

Personally, I would absolutely *love* FKs on array columns.
I always feel shameful when adding array columns to tables,
when the elements are PKs in some other table.
It's convenient and often the best design,
but it feels dirty knowing there are no FKs to help detect application bugs.

/Joel

In reply to this post by Laurenz Albe
Laurenz Albe <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 17:07 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> [...] do we really want to prefer
>> using the OID indexes as the primary keys?  In most cases there's some
>> other index that seems to me to be what a user would think of as the
>> pkey, for example pg_class_relname_nsp_index for pg_class or
>> pg_proc_proname_args_nsp_index for pg_proc.  Preferring OID where it
>> exists is a nice simple rule, which has some attractiveness, but the
>> OID indexes seem to me like a lookup aid rather than the "real" object
>> identity.

> I disagree.  The OID is the real, immutable identity of an object.
> The "relname" of a "pg_class" encatalogtry can change any time.
> Since there are no foreign keys that reference catalogs, that won't cause
> problems, but I still think that primary keys should change as little as
> possible.

Yeah, there's also the point that the OID is what we use for "foreign
key" references from other catalogs.  I don't deny that there are
reasons to think of OID as the pkey.  But as long as these constraints
are basically cosmetic, it seemed to me that we should consider the
other approach.  I'm not dead set on that, just wanted to discuss it.