Advice on logging strategy

Advice on logging strategy

Mike Martin
I have a question on logging strategy

I have loggin set to

Is there any way around this?

I cant find any way to filter dml statements

thanks

lup

Re: Advice on logging strategy

lup

> On Oct 11, 2018, at 4:26 AM, Mike Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a question on logging strategy
> I have loggin set to
> log_statement = 'all' on a network database with logging set to csv so I can import it to a logging table
> However the database is populated via a nightly routine downloading data via REST APIusing prepared statements
> This results in enormous log files which take ages to import using copy becuase each execute statement is logged with the parameters chosen
> Is there any way around this?
> I cant find any way to filter dml statements
> thanks
Do you want all the log lines in you logging table?
There was a thread yesterday (10.Oct.2018) on COPY which mention the possibility of multiple processes COPYing to same table.

Re: Advice on logging strategy

Mike Martin
I suppose the ideal would be to log the prepared statement once and detail only if error rather than one per execution

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 11:33, Rob Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2018, at 4:26 AM, Mike Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a question on logging strategy
> I have loggin set to
> Is there any way around this?
> I cant find any way to filter dml statements
> thanks
Do you want all the log lines in you logging table?

Re: Advice on logging strategy

Jeff Janes
In reply to this post by Mike Martin
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:27 AM Mike Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a question on logging strategy

I have loggin set to

Is there any way around this?

One option is to convert to using COPY...FROM STDIN rather than prepared INSERTs.

Another is to create a user specifically for bulk population, and do a 'ALTER USER bulk_load SET log_statement=none` to override the global log_statement setting.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: Advice on logging strategy

David Steele
In reply to this post by Mike Martin
On 10/11/18 11:26 AM, Mike Martin wrote:
> This results in enormous log files which take ages to import using copy
> becuase each execute statement is logged with the parameters chosen
> Is there any way around this?
> I cant find any way to filter dml statements

pgAudit (https://github.com/pgaudit/pgaudit) gives you fine-grain
control over what is logged by command type, table, or user as well as a
lot more detail.

-David
[hidden email]

Re: Advice on logging strategy

Mike Martin
Thanks!

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 at 14:33, David Steele <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/11/18 11:26 AM, Mike Martin wrote:
> This results in enormous log files which take ages to import using copy
> becuase each execute statement is logged with the parameters chosen
> Is there any way around this?
> I cant find any way to filter dml statements