BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.

BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.

Greg Sabino Mullane

The following bug has been logged online:

Bug reference:      1831
Logged by:          Greg Sabino Mullane
Email address:      [hidden email]
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
Operating system:   Linux
Description:        plperl gives error after reconnect.
Details:

Tested on 8.0.1 and in current cvs. This only happens if all the steps below
are followed, including the reconnect.

\c postgres

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <[hidden email]> writes:
> ERROR:  error from Perl function: creation of Perl function failed:
> (in cleanup) Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc called at (eval 4) line
> 2. at (eval 4) line 2.

I could not duplicate this in either 8.0 or HEAD branches.  It looks
a bit like an old bug that we had in plperl, though.  Are you sure your
plperl.so is up to date?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:46:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > ERROR:  error from Perl function: creation of Perl function failed:
> > (in cleanup) Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc called at (eval 4) line
> > 2. at (eval 4) line 2.
> I could not duplicate this in either 8.0 or HEAD branches.  It looks
> a bit like an old bug that we had in plperl, though.  Are you sure your
> plperl.so is up to date?

Could this be another "depends on the junk on your stack" bug?  I
get different results depending on the OS and version of PostgreSQL:

8.0.3 (from CVS), FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, Perl 5.8.7 (from ports)
* error with or without reconnect

HEAD, FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, Perl 5.8.7 (from ports)
* success without reconnect, error with reconnect

8.0.3 (from CVS), Solaris 9, Perl 5.8.7 (from source)
* error with or without reconnect

HEAD, Solaris 9, Perl 5.8.7 (from source)
* error with or without reconnect

The configure options for all PostgreSQL builds are nearly identical
except that the builds on FreeBSD don't have --enable-cassert.

TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
       match

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:49:11PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:46:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > ERROR:  error from Perl function: creation of Perl function failed:
> > > (in cleanup) Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc called at (eval 4) line
> > > 2. at (eval 4) line 2.
> > I could not duplicate this in either 8.0 or HEAD branches.  It looks
> > a bit like an old bug that we had in plperl, though.  Are you sure your
> > plperl.so is up to date?
> Could this be another "depends on the junk on your stack" bug?  I
> get different results depending on the OS and version of PostgreSQL:

Also, on my systems the trigger isn't necessary, but the function
call history is significant.  This is in HEAD:

\c test

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS text AS $$
return "foo";
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bar() RETURNS text AS $$
my $rv = spi_exec_query("SELECT foo() AS x");
return $rv->{rows}[0]->{x};
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

\c test

SELECT bar();
ERROR:  error from Perl function: creation of Perl function failed:     (in cleanup) Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc called at (eval 5) line 2. at (eval 5) line 2.

SELECT bar();

SELECT foo();
 foo
-----
 foo
(1 row)

SELECT bar();
 bar
-----
 foo
(1 row)

I verified that the postmaster is using a current plperl.so by
adding a debugging ereport() statement in plperl_call_perl_func()
(output not shown above).

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

In reply to this post by Michael Fuhr
Michael Fuhr <[hidden email]> writes:
> Could this be another "depends on the junk on your stack" bug?

Looks that way --- but I've still had no success in reproducing it,
either on x86/Linux or PPC/Darwin.  Anyone have some variant test
cases?

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
       subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:26:28AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Could this be another "depends on the junk on your stack" bug?
> Looks that way --- but I've still had no success in reproducing it,
> either on x86/Linux or PPC/Darwin.  Anyone have some variant test
> cases?

I see different results depending on whether the calling function
is plperl or plperlu.  Here again are the functions -- I'll change
only the language:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS text AS $$
return "foo";
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bar() RETURNS text AS $$
my $rv = spi_exec_query("SELECT foo()");
return $rv->{rows}[0]->{foo};
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

SELECT bar();

With HEAD on Solaris 9/sparc I don't have to reconnect before the
SELECT to get the error (I tested both ways, with and without a
reconnect, and it made no difference).  Here's what I get with
various language combinations:

foo plperl,  bar plperl  - Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc
foo plperl,  bar plperlu - ok
foo plperlu, bar plperl  - Undefined subroutine &main::mkunsafefunc
foo plperlu, bar plperlu - ok

I get the same results on FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE/x86 but I have to
reconnect before the SELECT to get the error.  On both systems,
if I execute SELECT foo() before SELECT bar() then I don't get
the error.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

Greg Sabino Mullane
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Tom Lane asked:
> I could not duplicate this in either 8.0 or HEAD branches.  It looks
> a bit like an old bug that we had in plperl, though.  Are you sure your
> plperl.so is up to date?

Looks like Michael is already far along, but yes, my plperl.so was up to date.
This is on a Red Hat Linux box, using --with-perl and --with-gnu-ld as the
only compile options. It's a very subtle bug: on my box, simply leaving out
the trigger definition, or having the function not do a spi_exec_query will
not raise the error. I've worked around this locally by not using plperlu
(hence the original reason to switch to another user), but I sure miss
being able to do "use strict" :)

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [hidden email]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200508181050
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iEYEARECAAYFAkMEoFkACgkQvJuQZxSWSsjTpwCgmt9kLApba6xDygvgl5qb/vdc
Zh4AoPx1or9LLWSTUZQDcDjxJCfNBb08
=5Jt7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 02:52:02PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Tom Lane asked:
> > I could not duplicate this in either 8.0 or HEAD branches.  It looks
> > a bit like an old bug that we had in plperl, though.  Are you sure your
> > plperl.so is up to date?
> Looks like Michael is already far along, but yes, my plperl.so was up to date.
> This is on a Red Hat Linux box, using --with-perl and --with-gnu-ld as the
> only compile options. It's a very subtle bug: on my box, simply leaving out
> the trigger definition, or having the function not do a spi_exec_query will
> not raise the error.

Tom Lane once mentioned that "Valgrind is fairly useless for debugging
postgres," but has anybody tried it for this problem?  I tried using
the FreeBSD port but it's having trouble (first I had to hack in
support for a system call, now it's terminating the postmaster with
SIBGUS on a call to setproctitle).

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
       subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Greg Sabino Mullane

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

> Tom Lane once mentioned that "Valgrind is fairly useless for debugging
> postgres," but has anybody tried it for this problem?  I tried using
> the FreeBSD port but it's having trouble (first I had to hack in
> support for a system call, now it's terminating the postmaster with
> SIBGUS on a call to setproctitle).

I've got valgrind working, but not sure exactly how to use it to debug
this problem. What's the procedure?

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [hidden email]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200508190955

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iEYEARECAAYFAkMF5N8ACgkQvJuQZxSWSsi6eQCggFJT5i9phqGomACJk/ZIKDgS
vv8AnROppubywG9bY2ZU26MMfG3lKPdj
=+srT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 01:56:39PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Tom Lane once mentioned that "Valgrind is fairly useless for debugging
> > postgres," but has anybody tried it for this problem?
> I've got valgrind working, but not sure exactly how to use it to debug
> this problem. What's the procedure?

I haven't used valgrind much, but I was thinking of initdb'ing a
test cluster, loading the PL/Perl functions into it, and running
valgrind on a single-user-mode postgres process in which you issue
a query that causes the problem.  I'm wondering if valgrind's memory
checks will show the code accessing memory that hasn't been initialized.

TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

In reply to this post by Michael Fuhr
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 11:37:58PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> With HEAD on Solaris 9/sparc I don't have to reconnect before the
> SELECT to get the error (I tested both ways, with and without a
> reconnect, and it made no difference).

> I get the same results on FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE/x86 but I have to
> reconnect before the SELECT to get the error.

I discovered why these systems behaved differently: the Solaris box
didn't have validator functions for plperl/plperlu.  Apparently I
had createlang'ed them before the validator function was added a
couple of months ago:

I dropped and recreated plperl and plperlu on the Solaris box and
now I do have to reconnect to get the error.

Here's a summary of what I see on both systems:

* The functions are foo() and bar(), both created as plperl.
  bar() calls foo() using spi_exec_query().

* In HEAD, where plperl has a validator, if I create the functions
  and call bar() in the same session, it works.  If I reconnect and
  call bar() then I get the error.

* In 8.0.3, where plperl has no validator, if I create the functions
  and call bar() in the same session, I get the error.  Likewise if
  I reconnect.

* In either version, if bar() is plperlu then I don't get the error,
  regardless of whether I've reconnected since creating the functions.
  Creating foo() as plperlu has no effect other than changing the
  undefined subroutine's name to mkunsafefunc.

Something about the calling function being plperlu and something
the validator does appear to be relevant, at least on my two systems.

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
       subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 09:03:48PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> Here's a summary of what I see on both systems:

I mentioned this before but forgot to include it in the summary:

* If I execute "SELECT foo()" before I execute "SELECT bar()" then
  I don't get the error.

Here's my current test case, run in HEAD in a database named "test"
that has plperl:

CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS text AS $$
return "foo";
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

CREATE FUNCTION bar() RETURNS text AS $$
my $rv = spi_exec_query("SELECT foo($_[0])");
return $rv->{rows}[0]->{foo};
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

SELECT bar();
 bar
-----
 foo
(1 row)

\c test
You are now connected to database "test".

SELECT bar();
ERROR:  error from Perl function: creation of Perl function failed:     (in cleanup) Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc called at (eval 7) line 2. at (eval 7) line 2.

SELECT foo();
 foo
-----
 foo
(1 row)

SELECT bar();
 bar
-----
 foo
(1 row)

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.

I'm wondering if this is Perl version dependent.  I've tried with

Fedora Core 3:
This is perl, v5.8.5 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
Darwin 10.4.2:
This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

with no failures observed... what are you guys using?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

In reply to this post by Michael Fuhr
[ eyeing current plperl code... ]

Would anyone like to explain what ::_plperl_to_pg_array is for, and
why it's only created by loose_embedding[] and not strict_embedding[]?

Not that this looks to have any immediate impact on the problem at
hand, but it still looks a tad broken.

TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:03:46AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm wondering if this is Perl version dependent.  I've tried with
> Fedora Core 3:
> This is perl, v5.8.5 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
> Darwin 10.4.2:
> This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
> with no failures observed... what are you guys using?

FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE/x86
This is perl, v5.8.7 built for i386-freebsd-64int
(built from ports directory with gcc 2.95.4)

Solaris 9/sparc
This is perl, v5.8.7 built for sun4-solaris
(built from source with gcc 3.4.2)

I just built PL/Perl on the Solaris box with Perl 5.8.6 and got the
same results.  I used ldd to verify that plperl.so was linked against
5.8.6, and I had one of the functions return Perl's $] variable just
to make sure.

I see that both of your Perl version strings have "thread-multi"
whereas neither of mine do.  I don't know if that's relevant, but
it's something different about the Perl builds.

% perl -V | grep thread
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef

You're doing the reconnect, right?  The error appears to happen
during the SPI call if the called function hasn't been compiled
yet, either by being previously called or by being validated during
creation.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?

Michael Fuhr <[hidden email]> writes:
> I see that both of your Perl version strings have "thread-multi"
> whereas neither of mine do.  I don't know if that's relevant, but
> it's something different about the Perl builds.

Hm.  I also have a 5.8.7-no-threads Perl build on HPPA.  I hadn't
tried that because that platform sucks at debugging shared libraries.
But building there now to see if I can reproduce the problem.

> You're doing the reconnect, right?

Sure.  It seems perfectly clear that this has something to do with
being the first call in a session.  (The validator function would
also count as the first call, which explains your previous Solaris
results.)

One thing I was kind of wondering about (this will betray the fact
that I haven't really studied Perl since it was Perl 4) is what are
the namespace issues for ::mksafefunc?  In particular, could the
inner invocation of foo() be executing in some context that makes
the original definition of mksafefunc inaccessible?  And why, if
we are careful to declare mksafefunc with ::, don't we call it
with :: too?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:22:05AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Would anyone like to explain what ::_plperl_to_pg_array is for, and
> why it's only created by loose_embedding[] and not strict_embedding[]?

It looks like plperl_convert_to_pg_array() calls that Perl function
to convert a Perl list reference to the string representation of
PostgreSQL array, so functions like this can work:

CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS integer[] AS $$
return [1, 2, 3];
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

SELECT foo();
   foo
---------
 {1,2,3}
(1 row)

But this example crashes the backend if plperl.use_strict is enabled :-(

TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Michael Fuhr <[hidden email]> writes:
> But this example crashes the backend if plperl.use_strict is enabled :-(

I suspect the croak() in plperl_convert_to_pg_array (the C function)
ought to be an ereport().  It looks like that is not called from inside
the Perl environment, and so croak is probably sending control to exit().

TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
       match

In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 01:14:02AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> One thing I was kind of wondering about (this will betray the fact
> that I haven't really studied Perl since it was Perl 4) is what are
> the namespace issues for ::mksafefunc?  In particular, could the
> inner invocation of foo() be executing in some context that makes
> the original definition of mksafefunc inaccessible?  And why, if
> we are careful to declare mksafefunc with ::, don't we call it
> with :: too?

You might be on to something there.  I just changed line 683 in
plperl.c to the following:

count = perl_call_pv((trusted ? "::mksafefunc" : "::mkunsafefunc"),

My test cases now succeed where they had been failing.  But if
that's the problem, why are your systems behaving differently?

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
       subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

In reply to this post by Michael Fuhr
On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:16:25PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> But this example crashes the backend if plperl.use_strict is enabled :-(

The PL/Perl regression tests also fail if use_strict is enabled,
mostly due to not using "my" in a few places.  I'll work on a patch.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?