BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

Mikio

The following bug has been logged online:

Bug reference:      5660
Logged by:          Mikio
Email address:      [hidden email]
PostgreSQL version: 9.0 RC1
Operating system:   Windows XP SP3 Japanese
Description:        Can't start db service if specify
effective_io_concurrency
Details:

I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1, and I specified 10 for
effective_io_concurrency in postgresql.conf.
I restarted postgresql windows service, but the service didn't start.
I looked a log file in pg_log directory, but no relative entries.
I looked windows event viewer, I found an event from PostgreSQL, and it was
below.(The characters in the message were broken.)

>FATAL:  p[^"effective_io_concurrency"ύXł܂

I changed the value from 10 to 1, but the symptom was same.
I commented the line out like as default, the service started up successful.

Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

ITAGAKI Takahiro-3
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Mikio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Operating system:   Windows XP SP3 Japanese
> I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1, and I specified 10 for
> effective_io_concurrency in postgresql.conf.
> I restarted postgresql windows service, but the service didn't start.

Unfortunately, effective_io_concurrency is not supported on Windows.
It works on Linux and UNIXes, but must be 1 on Windows.

Itagaki Takahiro

Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

In reply to this post by Mikio
"Mikio" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1, and I specified 10 for
> effective_io_concurrency in postgresql.conf.
> I restarted postgresql windows service, but the service didn't start.

This is unsurprising: you can only set effective_io_concurrency on
platforms that have posix_fadvise(), which I rather doubt Windows does.

> I looked windows event viewer, I found an event from PostgreSQL, and it was
> below.(The characters in the message were broken.)

>> FATAL:  p[^"effective_io_concurrency"ύXł܂

Hm, what I get when I try that on a machine without posix_fadvise()
is

FATAL:  parameter "effective_io_concurrency" cannot be changed

I think you have some other configuration problem that's messing up
your log entries.

Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

Mikio

Thank you very much for your quick support.
I've understood. Please close this bug ticket.

I hope add comment e.g"(unix only)" onto effective_io_concurrency line
in postgresql.conf if possible.

Regards.

<[hidden email]>

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:36:19 -0400
Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Mikio" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1, and I specified 10 for
> > effective_io_concurrency in postgresql.conf.
> > I restarted postgresql windows service, but the service didn't start.
> This is unsurprising: you can only set effective_io_concurrency on
> platforms that have posix_fadvise(), which I rather doubt Windows does.
> > I looked windows event viewer, I found an event from PostgreSQL, and it was
> > below.(The characters in the message were broken.)
> >> FATAL:  p[^"effective_io_concurrency"マ更ナま〓>
> Hm, what I get when I try that on a machine without posix_fadvise()
> is
> FATAL:  parameter "effective_io_concurrency" cannot be changed
> I think you have some other configuration problem that's messing up
> your log entries.
> regards, tom lane

Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:

Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

Bruce Momjian
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you very much for your quick support.
> I've understood. Please close this bug ticket.
> I hope add comment e.g"(unix only)" onto effective_io_concurrency line
> in postgresql.conf if possible.

We currently have in our docs:

Asynchronous I/O depends on an effective <function>posix_fadvise</>
         function, which some operating systems lack.  If the function is not
         present then setting this parameter to anything but zero will result
         in an error.  On some operating systems (e.g., Solaris), the function
         is present but does not actually do anything.

It is not Unix-only, but only some versions of Unix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Regards.
> --
>  <[hidden email]>
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:36:19 -0400
> Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "Mikio" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1, and I specified 10 for
> > > effective_io_concurrency in postgresql.conf.
> > > I restarted postgresql windows service, but the service didn't start.
> > This is unsurprising: you can only set effective_io_concurrency on
> > platforms that have posix_fadvise(), which I rather doubt Windows does.
> > > I looked windows event viewer, I found an event from PostgreSQL, and it was
> > > below.(The characters in the message were broken.)
> > >> FATAL:  p[^"effective_io_concurrency"?????>
> > Hm, what I get when I try that on a machine without posix_fadvise()
> > is
> > FATAL:  parameter "effective_io_concurrency" cannot be changed
> > I think you have some other configuration problem that's messing up
> > your log entries.
> > regards, tom lane
> --
> Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-bugs

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ It's impossible for everything to be true. +

Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription: