Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Robins Tharakan-2
Hi,

The 2019b DST update [1] disables DST for Brazil. This would take effect starting November 2019. The last DST update in Postgres was 2019a in v11.3 (since this update came in after the recent-most Postgres release).

Since a ~3 month release cycle may be too close for some users, are there any plans for an early 11.5 (or are such occurrences not a candidate for an early release)? 

Reference:
-
robins
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Michael Paquier-2
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 01:42:59PM +1000, Robins Tharakan wrote:

> The 2019b DST update [1] disables DST for Brazil. This would take effect
> starting November 2019. The last DST update in Postgres was 2019a in v11.3
> (since this update came in after the recent-most Postgres release).
>
> Since a ~3 month release cycle may be too close for some users, are there
> any plans for an early 11.5 (or are such occurrences not a candidate for an
> early release)?
>
> Reference:
> a) https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz-announce/2019-July/000056.html
So 2019b has been released on the 1st of July.  Usually tzdata updates
happen just before a minor release, so this would get pulled in at the
beginning of August (https://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/).
Tom, I guess that would be again the intention here?
--
Michael

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Robins Tharakan-2

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 14:04, Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 01:42:59PM +1000, Robins Tharakan wrote:
So 2019b has been released on the 1st of July.  Usually tzdata updates
happen just before a minor release, so this would get pulled in at the
beginning of August (https://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/).
Tom, I guess that would be again the intention here?
--
Michael

An August release does give a little more comfort. (I was expecting that the August
date would get pushed out since 11.4 was an emergency release at the end of June).

-
robins 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Tom Lane-2
In reply to this post by Robins Tharakan-2
Robins Tharakan <[hidden email]> writes:
> The 2019b DST update [1] disables DST for Brazil. This would take effect
> starting November 2019. The last DST update in Postgres was 2019a in v11.3
> (since this update came in after the recent-most Postgres release).

Yeah.  I intend to install 2019b (or later?) before our next minor
releases.

> Since a ~3 month release cycle may be too close for some users, are there
> any plans for an early 11.5 (or are such occurrences not a candidate for an
> early release)?

We do not consider tzdb updates to be a release-forcing issue.
The fact that we ship tzdb at all is just a courtesy to PG users who
are on platforms that lack a more direct way to get tzdb updates.
The usual recommendation on well-maintained production systems is to
configure PG with --with-system-tzdata, then rely on your platform
vendor for timely updates of that data.

                        regards, tom lane


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Magnus Hagander-2


On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Robins Tharakan <[hidden email]> writes:
> The 2019b DST update [1] disables DST for Brazil. This would take effect
> starting November 2019. The last DST update in Postgres was 2019a in v11.3
> (since this update came in after the recent-most Postgres release).

Yeah.  I intend to install 2019b (or later?) before our next minor
releases.

> Since a ~3 month release cycle may be too close for some users, are there
> any plans for an early 11.5 (or are such occurrences not a candidate for an
> early release)?

We do not consider tzdb updates to be a release-forcing issue.
The fact that we ship tzdb at all is just a courtesy to PG users who
are on platforms that lack a more direct way to get tzdb updates.
The usual recommendation on well-maintained production systems is to
configure PG with --with-system-tzdata, then rely on your platform
vendor for timely updates of that data.

It should be noted that this is not true on Windows -- on Windows we cannot use the system timezone functionality, and rely entirely on the files we ship as part of our release. 

--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Tom Lane-2
Magnus Hagander <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The usual recommendation on well-maintained production systems is to
>> configure PG with --with-system-tzdata, then rely on your platform
>> vendor for timely updates of that data.

> It should be noted that this is not true on Windows -- on Windows we cannot
> use the system timezone functionality, and rely entirely on the files we
> ship as part of our release.

IMO this is one of many reasons why Windows isn't a great choice of
platform for production use of Postgres ;-).

I hear that Microsoft is going to start embedding some flavor of
Linux in Windows, which presumably would extend to having a copy of
/usr/share/zoneinfo somewhere.  It'll be interesting to see how that
works and whether they'll maintain it well enough that it'd be a
plausible tzdata reference.

                        regards, tom lane


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Tomas Vondra-4
In reply to this post by Robins Tharakan-2
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 02:52:53PM +1000, Robins Tharakan wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 14:04, Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 01:42:59PM +1000, Robins Tharakan wrote:
>> So 2019b has been released on the 1st of July.  Usually tzdata updates
>> happen just before a minor release, so this would get pulled in at the
>> beginning of August (https://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/).
>> Tom, I guess that would be again the intention here?
>> --
>> Michael
>>
>
>An August release does give a little more comfort. (I was expecting that
>the August
>date would get pushed out since 11.4 was an emergency release at the end of
>June).
>

I think the plan is still to do the August release. One of the fixes in
the out-of-cycle release actually introduced a new regression, but we've
decided no to do another one exactly because there's a next minor release
scheduled in ~three weeks anyway.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update

Tom Lane-2
Tomas Vondra <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 02:52:53PM +1000, Robins Tharakan wrote:
>> An August release does give a little more comfort. (I was expecting that
>> the August
>> date would get pushed out since 11.4 was an emergency release at the end of
>> June).

> I think the plan is still to do the August release.

Yes, the August releases will happen on the usual schedule.

                        regards, tom lane