COPY FREEZE and setting PD_ALL_VISIBLE/visibility map bits

COPY FREEZE and setting PD_ALL_VISIBLE/visibility map bits

Pavan Deolasee

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Pavan

Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

copy_freeze_v3.patch (12K) Download Attachment

Kuntal Ghosh
Hello Pavan,

Thank you for the patch. It seems to me that while performing COPY
FREEZE, if we've copied tuples in a previously emptied page, we can
set the PageSetAllVisible(page) in heap_muli_insert only. Something
like,

bool init = (ItemPointerGetOffsetNumber(&(heaptuples[ndone]->t_self))
== FirstOffsetNumber &&
         PageGetMaxOffsetNumber(page) == FirstOffsetNumber + nthispage - 1);
if (init && (options & HEAP_INSERT_FROZEN))
 PageSetAllVisible(page);

Later, you can skip the pages for
CheckAndSetAllVisibleBulkInsertState() where PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag is
already set. Do you think it's correct?

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 11:35 AM Pavan Deolasee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Jeff Janes raised an issue [1] about PD_ALL_VISIBLE not being set correctly while loading data via COPY FREEZE and had also posted a draft patch.
> I now have what I think is a more complete patch. I took a slightly different approach and instead of setting PD_ALL_VISIBLE bit initially and then not clearing it during insertion, we now recheck the page for all-frozen, all-visible tuples just before switching to a new page. This allows us to then also mark set the visibility map bit, like we do in vacuumlazy.c
> Some special treatment is required to handle the last page before bulk insert it shutdown. We could have chosen not to do anything special for the last page and let it remain unfrozen, but I thought it makes sense to take that extra effort so that we can completely freeze the table and set all VM bits at the end of COPY FREEZE.
> Let me know what you think.
> Thanks,
> Pavan
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU%3D1w3osJJ2FneELhhNRLxfZitDgp9FPHee08NT2FQFmz_pQ%40mail.gmail.com
> --
>  Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
>  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Simon Riggs
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 15:38, Kuntal Ghosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for the patch. It seems to me that while performing COPY
FREEZE, if we've copied tuples in a previously emptied page

Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Kuntal Ghosh
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 6:46 PM Simon Riggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 15:38, Kuntal Ghosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you for the patch. It seems to me that while performing COPY
>> FREEZE, if we've copied tuples in a previously emptied page
> There won't be any previously emptied pages because of the pre-conditions required for FREEZE.
Right, I missed that part. Thanks for pointing that out. But, this
optimization is still possible for copying frozen tuples in a newly
created page, right? If current backend allocates a new page, copies a
bunch of frozen tuples in that page, it can set the PD_ALL_VISIBLE in
the same operation.

Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Jeff Janes
In reply to this post by Pavan Deolasee
On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 1:05 AM Pavan Deolasee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let me know what you think.

Hi Pavan, thanks for picking this up.

After doing a truncation and '\copy ... with (freeze)' of a table with long data, I find that the associated toast table has a handful of unfrozen blocks.  I don't know if that is an actual problem, but it does seem a bit odd, and thus suspicious.

perl -le 'print join "", map rand(), 1..500 foreach 1..1000000' > foo

create table foobar1 (x text);
begin;
truncate foobar1;
\copy foobar1 from foo with (freeze)
commit;
select all_visible,all_frozen,pd_all_visible, count(*) from pg_visibility('pg_toast.pg_toast_25085') group by 1,2,3;
 all_visible | all_frozen | pd_all_visible |  count
-------------+------------+----------------+---------
 f           | f          | f              |      18
 t           | t          | t              | 530,361
(2 rows)

Cheers,

Jeff

Pavan Deolasee

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 7:05 AM Jeff Janes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jeff, thanks for looking at it and the test. I can reproduce the problem and quite curiously block number 1 and then every 32672th block is getting skipped.

postgres=# select * from pg_visibility('pg_toast.pg_toast_16384') where all_visible = 'f';
 blkno  | all_visible | all_frozen | pd_all_visible
--------+-------------+------------+----------------
      1 | f           | f          | f
  32673 | f           | f          | f
  65345 | f           | f          | f
  98017 | f           | f          | f
 130689 | f           | f          | f
 163361 | f           | f          | f
 <snip>

Having investigated this a bit, I see that a relcache invalidation arrives after 1st and then after every 32672th block is filled. That clears the rel->rd_smgr field and we lose the information about the saved target block. The code then moves to extend the relation again and thus skips the previously less-than-half filled block, losing the free space in that block.

postgres=# SELECT * FROM page_header(get_raw_page('pg_toast.pg_toast_16384', 0));
    lsn     | checksum | flags | lower | upper | special | pagesize | version | prune_xid
------------+----------+-------+-------+-------+---------+----------+---------+-----------
 1/15B37748 |        0 |     4 |    40 |    64 |    8192 |     8192 |       4 |         0
(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT * FROM page_header(get_raw_page('pg_toast.pg_toast_16384', 1));
 1/15B39A28 |        0 |     4 |    28 |  7640 |    8192 |     8192 |       4 |         0
(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT * FROM page_header(get_raw_page('pg_toast.pg_toast_16384', 2));
 1/15B3BE08 |        0 |     4 |    40 |    64 |    8192 |     8192 |       4 |         0
(1 row)

So the block 1 has a large amount of free space (upper - lower), which never gets filled.

I am not yet sure what causes the relcache invalidation at regular intervals. But if I have to guess, it could be because of a new VM (or FSM?) page getting allocated. I am bit puzzled because this issue seems to only occur with toast tables since I tested the patch while writing it on a regular table and did not see any block remaining unfrozen. I tested only upto 450 blocks, but that shouldn't matter because with your test, we see the problem with block 1 as well. So something to look into in more detail.

While we could potentially fix this by what you'd done in the original patch and what Kuntal also suggested, i.e. by setting the PD_ALL_VISIBLE bit during page initialisation itself, I am a bit circumspect about that approach for two reasons:

1. It requires us to then add extra logic to avoid clearing the bit during insertions
2. It requires us to also update the VM bit during page init or risk having divergent views on the page-level bit and the VM bit.

And even if we do that, this newly discovered problem of less-than-half filled intermediate blocks remain. I wonder if we should instead track the last used block in BulkInsertState and if the relcache invalidation flushes smgr, start inserting again from the last saved block. In fact, we already track the last used buffer in BulkInsertState and that's enough to know the last used block.

Thanks,
Pavan

Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Masahiko Sawada
In reply to this post by Pavan Deolasee
On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM Pavan Deolasee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,

I might be missing something but why do we need to recheck whether
each pages is all-frozen after insertion? I wonder if we can set
all-frozen without checking all tuples again in this case.

Regards,

Masahiko Sawada
NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
NTT Open Source Software Center

Pavan Deolasee

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Masahiko Sawada <[hidden email]> wrote:

I might be missing something but why do we need to recheck whether
each pages is all-frozen after insertion? I wonder if we can set
all-frozen without checking all tuples again in this case.

It's possible that the user may have inserted unfrozen rows (via regular INSERT or COPY without FREEZE option) before inserting frozen rows. So we can't set the all-visible/all-frozen flag unconditionally. I also find it safer to do an explicit check to ensure we never accidentally mark a page as all-frozen. Since the check is performed immediately after the page becomes full and only once per page, there shouldn't be any additional IO cost and the check should be quite fast.

Thanks,
Pavan
 Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Masahiko Sawada
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:54 PM Pavan Deolasee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Masahiko Sawada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I might be missing something but why do we need to recheck whether
>> each pages is all-frozen after insertion? I wonder if we can set
>> all-frozen without checking all tuples again in this case.
> It's possible that the user may have inserted unfrozen rows (via regular INSERT or COPY without FREEZE option) before inserting frozen rows.

I think that since COPY FREEZE can be executed only when the table is
created or truncated within the transaction other users cannot insert
any rows during COPY FREEZE.

> So we can't set the all-visible/all-frozen flag unconditionally. I also find it safer to do an explicit check to ensure we never accidentally mark a page as all-frozen. Since the check is performed immediately after the page becomes full and only once per page, there shouldn't be any additional IO cost and the check should be quite fast.

I'd suggest to measure performance overhead. I can imagine one use
case of COPY FREEZE is the loading a very large table. Since in
addition to set visibility map bits this patch could scan a very large
table I'm concerned that how much performance is degraded by this
patch.
Regards,

Masahiko Sawada
NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
NTT Open Source Software Center

Pavan Deolasee

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Masahiko Sawada <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think that since COPY FREEZE can be executed only when the table is
created or truncated within the transaction other users cannot insert
any rows during COPY FREEZE.

postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION pageinspect ;
CREATE EXTENSION
postgres=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
postgres=# TRUNCATE testtab ;
TRUNCATE TABLE
postgres=# INSERT INTO testtab VALUES (100, 200);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# COPY testtab FROM STDIN WITH (FREEZE);
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself, or an EOF signal.
>> 1 2

Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Masahiko Sawada
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:17 PM Pavan Deolasee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Masahiko Sawada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think that since COPY FREEZE can be executed only when the table is
>> created or truncated within the transaction other users cannot insert
>> any rows during COPY FREEZE.
> Right. But the truncating transaction can insert unfrozen rows into the table before inserting more rows via COPY FREEZE.
> postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION pageinspect ;
> CREATE EXTENSION
> postgres=# BEGIN;
> BEGIN
> postgres=# TRUNCATE testtab ;
> TRUNCATE TABLE
> postgres=# INSERT INTO testtab VALUES (100, 200);
> INSERT 0 1
> postgres=# COPY testtab FROM STDIN WITH (FREEZE);
> Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
> End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself, or an EOF signal.
> >> 1 2
> >> 2 3
> >> \.
> COPY 2
> postgres=# COMMIT;
> postgres=# SELECT lp, to_hex(t_infomask) FROM heap_page_items(get_raw_page('testtab', 0));
>  lp | to_hex
> ----+--------
>   1 | 800
>   2 | b00
>   3 | b00
> (3 rows)
> The first row in inserted by regular insert and it's not frozen. The next 2 are frozen. We can't mark such as page all-visible, all-frozen.

Understood. Thank you for explanation!

>> I'd suggest to measure performance overhead. I can imagine one use
>> case of COPY FREEZE is the loading a very large table. Since in
>> addition to set visibility map bits this patch could scan a very large
>> table I'm concerned that how much performance is degraded by this
>> patch.

Agreed. I had been misunderstanding this patch. The page scan during
COPY FREEZE is necessary and it's very cheaper than doing in the first
vacuum.

Regards,

Masahiko Sawada
NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Re: COPY FREEZE and setting PD_ALL_VISIBLE/visibility map bits

David Steele
Hi Pavan,

On 3/14/19 2:20 PM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:17 PM Pavan Deolasee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok. I will run some tests. But please note that this patch is a bug fix to address the performance issue that is caused by having to rewrite the entire table when all-visible bit is set on the page during first vacuum. So while we may do some more work during COPY FREEZE, we're saving a lot of page writes during next vacuum. Also, since the scan that we are doing in this patch is done on a page that should be in the buffer cache, we will pay a bit in terms of CPU cost, but not anything in terms of IO cost.
> Agreed. I had been misunderstanding this patch. The page scan during
> COPY FREEZE is necessary and it's very cheaper than doing in the first
> vacuum.

I have removed Ibrar as a reviewer since there has been no review from
them in three weeks, and too encourage others to have a look.

Regards,

Master:
 COPY FREEZE: 40243.725   40309.675    40783.836
 VACUUM: 2685.871  2517.445    2508.452

Patched:
 COPY FREEZE: 40942.410  40495.303   40638.075
 VACUUM: 25.067  35.793   25.390

So there is a slight increase in the time to run COPY FREEZE, but a significant reduction in time to VACUUM the table. The benefits will only go up if the table is vacuumed much  later when most of the pages are already written to the disk and removed from shared buffers and/or kernel cache.

Thanks,
Pavan

Pavan Deolasee                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Darafei Praliaskouski
The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
make installcheck-world:  not tested
Implements feature:       not tested
Spec compliant:           not tested
Documentation:            not tested

This patch is particularly helpful in processing OpenStreetMap Data in PostGIS.
OpenStreetMap is imported as a stream of 300-900 (depending on settings) gigabytes, that are needing a VACUUM after a COPY FREEZE.
With this patch, the first and usually the last transforming query is performed much faster after initial load.

I have read this patch and have no outstanding comments on it.
Pavan Deolasee demonstrates the expected speed improvement.

The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

Masahiko Sawada
In reply to this post by Pavan Deolasee
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:27 PM Pavan Deolasee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Masahiko Sawada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > Ok. I will run some tests. But please note that this patch is a bug fix to address the performance issue that is caused by having to rewrite the entire table when all-visible bit is set on the page during first vacuum. So while we may do some more work during COPY FREEZE, we're saving a lot of page writes during next vacuum. Also, since the scan that we are doing in this patch is done on a page that should be in the buffer cache, we will pay a bit in terms of CPU cost, but not anything in terms of IO cost.
>> Agreed. I had been misunderstanding this patch. The page scan during
>> COPY FREEZE is necessary and it's very cheaper than doing in the first
>> vacuum.
> Thanks for agreeing to the need of this bug fix. I ran some simple tests anyways and here are the results.
> The test consists of a simple table with three columns, two integers and one char(100). I then ran COPY (FREEZE), loading 7M rows, followed by a VACUUM. The total size of the raw data is about 800MB and the table size in Postgres is just under 1GB. The results for 3 runs in milliseconds are:
> Master:
>  COPY FREEZE: 40243.725   40309.675    40783.836
>  VACUUM: 2685.871  2517.445    2508.452
> Patched:
>  COPY FREEZE: 40942.410  40495.303   40638.075
>  VACUUM: 25.067  35.793   25.390
> So there is a slight increase in the time to run COPY FREEZE, but a significant reduction in time to VACUUM the table. The benefits will only go up if the table is vacuumed much  later when most of the pages are already written to the disk and removed from shared buffers and/or kernel cache.
> I hope this satisfies your doubts regarding performance implications of the patch.

Thank you for the performance testing, that's a great improvement!

I've looked at the patch and have comments and questions.

+    /*
+     * While we are holding the lock on the page, check if all tuples
+     * in the page are marked frozen at insertion. We can safely mark
+     * such page all-visible and set visibility map bits too.
+     */
+    if (CheckPageIsAllFrozen(relation, buffer))
+        PageSetAllVisible(page);
+    MarkBufferDirty(buffer);

Maybe we don't need to mark the buffer dirty if the page is not set all-visible.

-----
+    if (PageIsAllVisible(page))
+    {
+        uint8       vm_status = visibilitymap_get_status(relation,
+                targetBlock, &myvmbuffer);
+        uint8       flags = 0;
+        /* Set the VM all-frozen bit to flag, if needed */
+        if ((vm_status & VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_VISIBLE) == 0)
+            flags |= VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_VISIBLE;
+        if ((vm_status & VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_FROZEN) == 0)
+            flags |= VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_FROZEN;
+        Assert(BufferIsValid(myvmbuffer));
+        if (flags != 0)
+            visibilitymap_set(relation, targetBlock, buffer, InvalidXLogRecPtr,
+                    myvmbuffer, InvalidTransactionId, flags);

Since CheckPageIsAllFrozen() is used only when inserting frozen tuples
CheckAndSetPageAllVisible() seems to be implemented for the same
situation. If we have CheckAndSetPageAllVisible() for only this
situation we would rather need to check that the VM status of the page
should be 0 and then set two flags to the page? The 'flags' will
always be (VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_FROZEN | VISIBILITYMAP_ALL_VISIBLE) in
copy freeze case. I'm confused that this function has both code that
assumes some special situations and code that can be used in generic
situations.

-----
Perhaps we can add some tests for this feature to pg_visibility module.

Regards,