Does pgadmin4 work with postgresql 8.4?

Does pgadmin4 work with postgresql 8.4?

Benedict Holland
The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use postgresql 4?

Thanks,
~Ben

Adrian Klaver-4
On 8/5/19 1:15 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
> The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant
> upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use postgresql 4?

Trolling the docs does not offer any insight. If you have pgAdmin4
already installed I would just set up a connection to the 8.4 instance
and see if it works:)

> Thanks,
> ~Ben

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Benedict Holland
Yea. I did look in the doc's. What I really dont want is some strange feature that is unique to 8.4 not have support. Like, a select option for example. I am fairly sure most of it will work but my "not supported" does it mean that it wasnt tested but will probably work or that it really isnt supported at all. Either is fine as I can use pgadmin3 if I have to but I would prefer at least 1 piece of software to have support rather than none.

Thanks,
~Ben

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 4:48 PM Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/5/19 1:15 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
> The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant
> upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use postgresql 4?

Trolling the docs does not offer any insight. If you have pgAdmin4

> Yea. I did look in the doc's. What I really dont want is some strange
> feature that is unique to 8.4 not have support. Like, a select option
> for example. I am fairly sure most of it will work but my "not
> supported" does it mean that it wasnt tested but will probably work or
> that it really isnt supported at all. Either is fine as I can use
> pgadmin3 if I have to but I would prefer at least 1 piece of software to
> have support rather than none.

You might have more luck getting a definitive answer here:

> Thanks,
> ~Ben
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 4:48 PM Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     On 8/5/19 1:15 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
>      > The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant
>      > upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use
>     postgresql 4?
>     Trolling the docs does not offer any insight. If you have pgAdmin4
>     already installed I would just set up a connection to the 8.4 instance
>     and see if it works:)
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      > ~Ben
>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Melvin Davidson-5
>What I really dont want is some strange
> feature that is unique to 8.4 not have support.

Actually, the reverse is more likely. Newer versions of PostgreSQL have newer and additional
features, so it is highly unlikely that PgAdmin4 would not be able to support all features in 8.4.

That being said, what is the specific reason you cannot upgrade to a newer version of PostgreSQL?

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/5/19 1:51 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
> Yea. I did look in the doc's. What I really dont want is some strange
> feature that is unique to 8.4 not have support. Like, a select option
> for example. I am fairly sure most of it will work but my "not
> supported" does it mean that it wasnt tested but will probably work or
> that it really isnt supported at all. Either is fine as I can use
> pgadmin3 if I have to but I would prefer at least 1 piece of software to
> have support rather than none.

You might have more luck getting a definitive answer here:

> Thanks,
> ~Ben
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 4:48 PM Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     On 8/5/19 1:15 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
>      > The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant
>      > upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use
>     postgresql 4?
>     Trolling the docs does not offer any insight. If you have pgAdmin4
>     already installed I would just set up a connection to the 8.4 instance
>     and see if it works:)
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      > ~Ben
>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Melvin Davidson
Maj. Database & Exploration Specialist

Universe Exploration Command – UXC

Employment by invitation only!

Murtuza Zabuawala
In reply to this post by Benedict Holland
No, pgAdmin4 only supports PostgreSQL 9.2 and later versions.

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, 01:45 Benedict Holland, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks,
~Ben

Adrian Klaver-4
On 8/5/19 7:04 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala wrote:
> No, pgAdmin4 only supports PostgreSQL 9.2 and later versions.

Where is that mentioned in the documentation?

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, 01:45 Benedict Holland,
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant
>     upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use postgresql 4?
>     Thanks,
>     ~Ben

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Murtuza Zabuawala
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/5/19 7:04 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala wrote:
> No, pgAdmin4 only supports PostgreSQL 9.2 and later versions.

Where is that mentioned in the documentation?

It is mentioned on the front page of https://www.pgadmin.org/
(Check introduction texts on the elephant wallpaper)

-- Murtuza

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, 01:45 Benedict Holland,
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     The subject says it all. I am using a very old database that I cant
>     upgrade. Do I have to manage it with pgadmin3 or can I use postgresql 4?
>     Thanks,
>     ~Ben

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Luca Ferrari-2
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 7:02 AM Murtuza Zabuawala
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is mentioned on the front page of https://www.pgadmin.org/
> (Check introduction texts on the elephant wallpaper)

"pgAdmin may be used on Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows to manage
PostgreSQL 9.2 and above."

However, I would suspect it can work even on older versions.

Luca

Benedict Holland
We cant upgrade because of business reasons but that is very high on our agenda to fix. To me, there is a huge difference between unsupported and wont work. I dont expect support for this but are there significant changes between 8.4 and 9.2 that would prevent pgadmin4 from working?

Thanks,
~Ben

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 3:21 AM Luca Ferrari <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 7:02 AM Murtuza Zabuawala
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is mentioned on the front page of https://www.pgadmin.org/
> (Check introduction texts on the elephant wallpaper)

"pgAdmin may be used on Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows to manage
PostgreSQL 9.2 and above."

However, I would suspect it can work even on older versions.

Luca

Tony Shelver
8.4's final release was 5 years ago, so unlikely anyone would know the answer to your question.
The only way to really know is to try it.

I just had an issue with the current version (4.11) against PG11.4, where the version of psycopg2 was out of date by a release (2.7x instead of 2.8).  Most stuff works, but there are a few things that don't.
Based on that example, I reckon any reply either way is pure guesswork.

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 14:46, Benedict Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Adrian Klaver-4
In reply to this post by Murtuza Zabuawala
On 8/5/19 10:02 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     On 8/5/19 7:04 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala wrote:
>      > No, pgAdmin4 only supports PostgreSQL 9.2 and later versions.
>     Where is that mentioned in the documentation?
> It is mentioned on the front page of https://www.pgadmin.org/
> (Check introduction texts on the elephant wallpaper)

Making a request that it be included in the actual documentation, say here:

It's current location is obscured by the wallpaper and hidden by the
screenshot as you mouse over it.

> -- Murtuza

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Luca Ferrari-2
In reply to this post by Benedict Holland
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Benedict Holland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> To me, there is a huge difference between unsupported and wont work. ote:

Thta' why the only truly working software you has is psql 8.4.
As other has stated, it is too far in the past to say what is working
and what not, you have to walk thru the release notes and find
yourself which features are not going to work. Or stick with psql.

Good luck,
Luca

Adrian Klaver-4
On 8/6/19 9:11 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Benedict Holland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> To me, there is a huge difference between unsupported and wont work. ote:
> Thta' why the only truly working software you has is psql 8.4.
> As other has stated, it is too far in the past to say what is working
> and what not, you have to walk thru the release notes and find
> yourself which features are not going to work. Or stick with psql.

Or as the OP stated earlier use pgAdmin3. It works with Postgres 7.3 up