Event Triggers and Dropping Objects

command_tag text,

object_type text,

schema_name text,

object_identity text,

in_extension bool,

transaction_id bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT txid_current(),

inserted timestamptz NOT NULL DEFAULT clock_timestamp()

);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ddl_log()
RETURNS EVENT_TRIGGER

FROM pg_event_trigger_ddl_commands();
END;
$$;

CREATE EVENT TRIGGER aa_ddl_info ON ddl_command_end
EXECUTE PROCEDURE ddl_log();

---------------------

About as simple as I can make it. If I run the following, either in the same transaction or separately, I see the CREATE TABLE tag, the CREATE INDEX tag for the primary key, the CREATE FUNCTION tag, and the CREATE COMMENT for the function, but no DROP tags.

CREATE TABLE test (

test_id uuid NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
  description text
);

CREATE FUNCTION simple_add(integer a, integer b)
RETURNS void
LANGUAGE sql STRICT IMMUTABLE PARALLEL SAFE AS $$
  SELECT a + b;
$$;
COMMENT ON FUNCTION simple_add(integer, integer) IS 'A basic addition';

DROP TABLE test;

DROP FUNCTION simple_add(integer, integer);

---------------------

I didn't see anything obvious in the docs that states that DROP statements require explicit tagging, so I assumed that not specifying any tags would include all tags. Is this an oversight in the docs and expected behavior or is this a bug? Doesn't fire in any version from 9.6 on. I didn't test versions before 9.6.

Thanks in advance,

Miles Elam

Re: Event Triggers and Dropping Objects

Luca Ferrari-2
On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:38 PM Miles Elam <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I think this is a little misleading:
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/event-trigger-matrix.html>.
The ddl_command_end is issued, and the function is invoked, but
pg_event_trigger_ddl_commands() returns NULL on such invocation
because sql_drop is the event with the attached data.

Hope this helps,
Luca

Re: Event Triggers and Dropping Objects

Miles Elam-4
Thanks, it does!

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 1:50 AM Luca Ferrari <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:38 PM Miles Elam <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I think this is a little misleading:
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/event-trigger-matrix.html>.
The ddl_command_end is issued, and the function is invoked, but
pg_event_trigger_ddl_commands() returns NULL on such invocation
because sql_drop is the event with the attached data.

Hope this helps,
Luca

Re: Event Triggers and Dropping Objects

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Luca Ferrari-2
On Sat, Oct  5, 2019 at 10:50:14AM +0200, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:38 PM Miles Elam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The event trigger firing matrix lists tags like DROP TABLE and DROP FUNCTION are listed below the ddl_command_end event, but when I created a basic audit table and event trigger, they don't seem to fire. I know sql_drop exists, but again the matrix lists DROP commands in the ddl_command_end event.
> Yes, I think this is a little misleading:
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/event-trigger-matrix.html>.
> The ddl_command_end is issued, and the function is invoked, but
> pg_event_trigger_ddl_commands() returns NULL on such invocation
> because sql_drop is the event with the attached data.

Do the Postgres docs need improvement here?

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Re: Event Triggers and Dropping Objects

Luca Ferrari-2
On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 10:12 PM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do the Postgres docs need improvement here?

I don't know, but I would probably add a flag column in the firing
matrix to indicate when the related function will return a null tuple.

Luca