[HELP] Query regarding failover

[HELP] Query regarding failover

Praveen Kumar K S
Hello Experts,

I'm using pgpool and configured postgres cluster with 1 master and 1slaves with synchronous replication. Master is archiving WAL logs to a NAS share. I'm using 9.6
I have read a few documentations and the failover and recovery are  handled in different ways. Few wrote shell scripts and passed it to pgpool and few used tools like repmgr to handle automatic failover and recovery without any manual intervention.
My requirement is to set up a process to handle failover and recovery without manual intervention. I would like to know your suggestions if there is any standard way of doing this or is it better to write custom scripts. TIA.

Regards,
K S Praveen Kumar

Re: [HELP] Query regarding failover

Laurenz Albe
On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 20:54 +0530, Praveen Kumar K S wrote:
> My requirement is to set up a process to handle failover and recovery without manual intervention.
> I would like to know your suggestions if there is any standard way of doing this or is it better to write custom scripts.

I don't think you can do that reliably with "custom scripts".
There is no standard way, but have a look at Patroni.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

Re: [HELP] Query regarding failover

Praveen Kumar K S
Hello,

Thanks for your response. I will look into it. According to you, which is better ? repmgr/patroni for automated switch over and switch back ?

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:08 PM Laurenz Albe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 20:54 +0530, Praveen Kumar K S wrote:

I don't think you can do that reliably with "custom scripts".
There is no standard way, but have a look at Patroni.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

Regards,

K S Praveen Kumar
M: +91-9986855625

Re: [HELP] Query regarding failover

Marlene Villanueva
Cancel switch

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020, 4:26 AM Praveen Kumar K S, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:08 PM Laurenz Albe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 20:54 +0530, Praveen Kumar K S wrote:

I don't think you can do that reliably with "custom scripts".
There is no standard way, but have a look at Patroni.

Yours,