Hint and detail punctuation

Hint and detail punctuation

Daniel Gustafsson
While looking at error messages downstream, I noticed a few hints and details
in postgres which aren’t punctuated as per the style guide.  The attached patch
fixes the ones where it seemed reasonable to end with a period.

cheers ./daniel

errhint_punctuation.patch (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Michael Paquier-2
On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 05:22:25PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> While looking at error messages downstream, I noticed a few hints and details
> fixes the ones where it seemed reasonable to end with a period.

Good point.  I am spotting a couple more places:
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c:
GUC_check_errdetail("effective_io_concurrency must be set to 0 on
platforms that lack posix_fadvise()");
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c:
GUC_check_errdetail("recovery_target_timeline is not a valid number");
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c:
GUC_check_errdetail("recovery_target_name is too long (maximum %d
characters)",

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Daniel Gustafsson
> On 6 Dec 2018, at 05:46, Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 05:22:25PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> fixes the ones where it seemed reasonable to end with a period.
> Good point.  I am spotting a couple more places:
> src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c:

Ah, for some reason I hadn’t thought about looking at the GUCs.  I agree with
your findings, patch updated.

cheers ./daniel

errhint_punctuation-v2.patch (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Michael Paquier-2
On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 09:42:26AM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Ah, for some reason I hadn’t thought about looking at the GUCs.  I agree with
> your findings, patch updated.

Thanks Daniel, that looks fine to me at quick glance.  I'll try to get
that committed tomorrow my time if there are no objections until then.
Michael

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Alvaro Herrera-9
In reply to this post by Daniel Gustafsson
On 2018-Dec-06, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> > On 6 Dec 2018, at 05:46, Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 05:22:25PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> >> While looking at error messages downstream, I noticed a few hints and details
> >> in postgres which aren’t punctuated as per the style guide.  The attached patch
> >> fixes the ones where it seemed reasonable to end with a period.
> > Good point.  I am spotting a couple more places:
> > src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c:
> Ah, for some reason I hadn’t thought about looking at the GUCs.  I agree with
> your findings, patch updated.

LGTM.

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Michael Paquier-2
On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 09:44:22AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> LGTM.

Thanks Álvaro for the additional lookup.  I have committed the patch,
after updating the regression test output as this stuff was forgotten,
but that was easy enough to fix.
Michael

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Daniel Gustafsson
> On 6 Dec 2018, at 23:51, Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 09:44:22AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> LGTM.
> Thanks Álvaro for the additional lookup.  I have committed the patch,
> after updating the regression test output as this stuff was forgotten,
> but that was easy enough to fix.

Oh..  sorry about that, I should’ve known better.  Thanks for tidying up!

cheers ./daniel

Re: Hint and detail punctuation

Michael Paquier-2
On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 01:27:52AM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Oh..  sorry about that, I should’ve known better.  Thanks for tidying up!

No problem.  Thanks for the report and for caring on the matter.  So do
I.