How to post to this mailing list from a web based interface

How to post to this mailing list from a web based interface

RaviKrishna
I am planning to switch to a web based tool to read this mailing list.  While reading is easy via web, how do I post a reply from web.
I recollect there use to be a website from where one can reply from web.

thanks

Álvaro Herrera
On 2021-Jan-28, Ravi Krishna wrote:

> I am planning to switch to a web based tool to read this mailing list.

That's great.

> While reading is easy via web, how do I post a reply from web.

Yeah, "how" indeed.

> I recollect there use to be a website from where one can reply from web.

The community does not maintain such a service.

There used to be a Gmane archive of this list that you could use to
post.  Seems it's still online at postgresql-archive.org.  They have a
"Reply" button and it says to require your account, but given SPF and
DMARC and other restrictions on email generation, it seems pretty
uncertain that emails posted that way would work correctly.  I think we
would even reject such emails if they reached our mailing list servers.

Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W

Ron-2
On 1/28/21 9:27 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Jan-28, Ravi Krishna wrote:
>> I am planning to switch to a web based tool to read this mailing list.
> That's great.
>> While reading is easy via web, how do I post a reply from web.
> Yeah, "how" indeed.

Gmail is a web interface... :)

Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Hemil Ruparel
> Gmail is a web interface... :)
I was gonna say that Ron, but I figured it would not be polite to say the least

Matthias Apitz
In reply to this post by Álvaro Herrera
El día jueves, enero 28, 2021 a las 12:27:21p. m. -0300, Alvaro Herrera escribió:

> On 2021-Jan-28, Ravi Krishna wrote:
> > I am planning to switch to a web based tool to read this mailing list.
> That's great.
> > While reading is easy via web, how do I post a reply from web.

Everyone is free to use whatever he/she wants. For me a we based MUA
would be the worst thing ever.

matthias
Matthias Apitz, ✉ [hidden email], http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
Public GnuPG key: http://www.unixarea.de/key.pub
¡Con Cuba no te metas!  «»  Don't mess with Cuba!  «»  Leg Dich nicht mit Kuba an!

Magnus Hagander-2
In reply to this post by Álvaro Herrera
On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 4:27 PM Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2021-Jan-28, Ravi Krishna wrote:
> > I am planning to switch to a web based tool to read this mailing list.
> That's great.
> > While reading is easy via web, how do I post a reply from web.
> Yeah, "how" indeed.
> > I recollect there use to be a website from where one can reply from web.
> The community does not maintain such a service.
> There used to be a Gmane archive of this list that you could use to
> post.  Seems it's still online at postgresql-archive.org.  They have a
> "Reply" button and it says to require your account, but given SPF and
> DMARC and other restrictions on email generation, it seems pretty
> uncertain that emails posted that way would work correctly.  I think we
> would even reject such emails if they reached our mailing list servers.

Yeah, given the amount of trouble we've had around that one, I would
strongly advise you not to use it.

Another option is to read it through the web interface and use the
"resend to me" functionality once you want to reply to something, and
then reply to that through your normal email. It's not the most
convenient workflow, but if you mostly read and only very seldom post,
it works.

Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Ravi Krishna-19
In reply to this post by Matthias Apitz
> Everyone is free to use whatever he/she wants. For me a we based MUA
> would be the worst thing ever.

thanks all who took time to reply to this.

Álvaro Herrera
On 2021-Jan-28, Ravi Krishna wrote:

> > Everyone is free to use whatever he/she wants. For me a we based MUA
> > would be the worst thing ever.
> Oh well.  I have created a seperate email account for this to keep the clutter out.

In any half-decent email program, you can tag incoming email in such a
way that it doesn't clutter your main "inbox" view, while still having
such tagged messages if you specifically request them.  Just saying.

Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W

RaviKrishna
In reply to this post by RaviKrishna
Eventually I found out.  It is Nabble service.

Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Adrian Klaver-4
On 2/14/21 5:37 PM, Ravi__Krishna wrote:
> Eventually I found out.  It is Nabble service.

I would search the --general archives for the problems with using Nabble
to post. Short version, you will get answers quicker(or at all) by not
using it.

> --
> Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Thomas Munro-5
In reply to this post by Álvaro Herrera
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:27 AM Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2021-Jan-28, Ravi Krishna wrote:
> > I recollect there use to be a website from where one can reply from web.
> The community does not maintain such a service.
> There used to be a Gmane archive of this list that you could use to
> post.  Seems it's still online at postgresql-archive.org.  They have a
> "Reply" button and it says to require your account, but given SPF and
> DMARC and other restrictions on email generation, it seems pretty
> uncertain that emails posted that way would work correctly.  I think we
> would even reject such emails if they reached our mailing list servers.

While catching up with some interesting new threads just now I was
quite confused by the opening sentence of this message (which also
arrived in my mailbox):

... until I got to the last line.  I wonder if the "Resend" facility
on our own archives could be better advertised, via a "Want to join
this thread?" link in the Quick Links section that explains how to use
it and what problem it solves, or something...

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
On 2021-02-14 22:44, Thomas Munro wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:27 AM Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While catching up with some interesting new threads just now I was
> quite confused by the opening sentence of this message (which also
> arrived in my mailbox):
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1611355191319-0.post%40n3.nabble.com
> ... until I got to the last line.  I wonder if the "Resend" facility
> on our own archives could be better advertised, via a "Want to join
> this thread?" link in the Quick Links section that explains how to use
> it and what problem it solves, or something...

I haven't read the whole thread, but my take on it as a newjoiner:

Nable didn't seem to work. I got a bounce iirc. The reply/quoting format
was quite uncommon too..

As part of the process I had to join the ML anyway, so I went to the
archives to find the thread I wanted to reply to.

The "download mbox" option doesn't work, I get asked for a user/password
every time (I would've downloaded archives for the lats two months to
get continuation on most threads).

The resend option does work, but you have to wait 30 seconds between
messages, and I like to have the entire thread as it makes it easier to

Regards,

Thomas

Adrian Klaver-4
On 2/15/21 9:24 AM, Thomas Guyot wrote:

> The "download mbox" option doesn't work, I get asked for a user/password
> every time (I would've downloaded archives for the lats two months to
> get continuation on most threads).

The user/password is in the message in the prompt.

> The resend option does work, but you have to wait 30 seconds between
> messages, and I like to have the entire thread as it makes it easier to
> Regards,
> --
> Thomas

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Álvaro Herrera
On 2021-Feb-15, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 2/15/21 9:24 AM, Thomas Guyot wrote:
> > The "download mbox" option doesn't work, I get asked for a user/password
> > every time (I would've downloaded archives for the lats two months to
> > get continuation on most threads).
> The user/password is in the message in the prompt.

Sadly, some browsers choose not to display that message -- apparently
the message itself has been used somehow by certain sites to attack
something or other.

Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
In reply to this post by Adrian Klaver-4
On 2021-02-15 12:30, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 2/15/21 9:24 AM, Thomas Guyot wrote:
>> The "download mbox" option doesn't work, I get asked for a user/password
>> every time (I would've downloaded archives for the lats two months to
>> get continuation on most threads).
> The user/password is in the message in the prompt.

Ha, thanks! Turning on developer mode I could see it in the response
headers. It's a shame Chrome doesn't show it, yet I guess there may be a
good reason such as phishing sites trying to make the prompt more legit
while impersonating an organization...

Possible suggestions though - maybe allow cookie-based auth when logged
in, or show the user/password in the 401 error page.

I could get the archives this time, thanks!

Thomas

RaviKrishna
In reply to this post by Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
> Nable didn't seem to work. I got a bounce iirc.

Not sure what you are doing?  My previous reply a day ago and this reply are
from Nable with no issues.

Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Magnus Hagander-2
On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:47 PM RaviKrishna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Nable didn't seem to work. I got a bounce iirc.
> Not sure what you are doing?  My previous reply a day ago and this reply are
> from Nable with no issues.

Not wtih "no issues".

A lot of email sent from Nabble through the lists end up being spam
flagged and either ignored or blocked by individual subscribers,
because they basically fake the email sender. In this case your mail
provider (yahoo) explicitly instructs recipients to treat it as spam
when you send it through Nabble.

There's enough issues with delivery of emails posted through Nabbel
that we have many times considered simply blocking it so that people
dont' *think* it works well, when it doesn''t. (Since most of the
time, the emails end up in the spam folder, there is no way that you
as a sender end up knowing about it).

Buttom line is that while it may be a good tool for reading, it is
*not* a good tool for posting, at least not until they fix their basic
handling of email.