Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Yugo Nagata

I would like to implement Incremental View Maintenance (IVM) on PostgreSQL.
IVM is a technique to maintain materialized views which computes and applies
only the incremental changes to the materialized views rather than
recomputate the contents as the current REFRESH command does.

I had a presentation on our PoC implementation of IVM at PGConf.eu 2018 [1].
Our implementation uses row OIDs to compute deltas for materialized views.
The basic idea is that if we have information about which rows in base tables
are contributing to generate a certain row in a matview then we can identify
the affected rows when a base table is updated. This is based on an idea of
Dr. Masunaga [2] who is a member of our group and inspired from ID-based
approach[3].

In our implementation, the mapping of the row OIDs of the materialized view
and the base tables are stored in "OID map". When a base relation is modified,
AFTER trigger is executed and the delta is recorded in delta tables using
the transition table feature. The accual udpate of the matview is triggerd
by REFRESH command with INCREMENTALLY option.

However, we realize problems of our implementation. First, WITH OIDS will
be removed since PG12, so OIDs are no longer available. Besides this, it would
be hard to implement this since it needs many changes of executor nodes to
collect base tables's OIDs during execuing a query. Also, the cost of maintaining
OID map would be high.

For these reasons, we started to think to implement IVM without relying on OIDs
and made a bit more surveys.

We also looked at Kevin Grittner's discussion [4] on incremental matview
maintenance.  In this discussion, Kevin proposed to use counting algorithm [5]
to handle projection views (using DISTNICT) properly. This algorithm need an
additional system column, count_t, in materialized views and delta tables of
base tables.

progress this.

Through our PoC inplementation and surveys, I think we need to think at least
the followings for implementing IVM.

1. How to extract changes on base tables

I think there would be at least two approaches for it.

- Using transition table in AFTER triggers
 - Extracting changes from WAL using logical decoding

In our PoC implementation, we used AFTER trigger and transition tables, but using
logical decoding might be better from the point of performance of base table
modification.

of performing delete & insert.

2. How to compute the delta to be applied to materialized views

Essentially, IVM is based on relational algebra. Theorically, changes on base
tables are represented as deltas on this, like "R <- R + dR", and the delta on
the materialized view is computed using base table deltas based on "change
propagation equations".  For implementation, we have to derive the equation from
the view definition query (Query tree, or Plan tree?) and describe this as SQL
query to compulte delta to be applied to the materialized view.

There could be several operations for view definition: selection, projection,
join,  aggregation, union, difference, intersection, etc.  If we can prepare a
module for each operation, it makes IVM extensable, so we can start a simple
view definition, and then support more complex views.

3. How to identify rows to be modifed in materialized views

When applying the delta to the materialized view, we have to identify which row
in the matview is corresponding to a row in the delta.  A naive method is matching
by using all columns in a tuple, but clearly this is unefficient. If thematerialized
view has unique index, we can use this. Maybe, we have to force materialized views
to have all primary key colums in their base tables.  In our PoC implementation, we
used OID to identify rows, but this will be no longer available as said above.

4. When to maintain materialized views

There are two candidates of the timing of maintenance, immediate (eager) or deferred.

In eager maintenance, the materialized view is updated in the same transaction
where the base table is updated. In deferred maintenance, this is done after the
transaction is commited, for example, when view is accessed, as a response to user
request, etc.

past transactions.

different transactions change base tables simultaneously as discussed in [4].

[1] https://www.postgresql.eu/events/pgconfeu2018/schedule/session/2195-implementing-incremental-view-maintenance-on-postgresql/
[2] https://ipsj.ixsq.nii.ac.jp/ej/index.php?active_action=repository_view_main_item_detail&page_id=13&block_id=8&item_id=191254&item_no=1 (Japanese only)
[3] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2750546
[4] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1368561126.64093.YahooMailNeo%40web162904.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
[5] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=170066

Regards,
Yugo Nagata <[hidden email]>

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

denty
Hi Yugo.

> I would like to implement Incremental View Maintenance (IVM) on
> PostgreSQL.

Great. :-)

I think it would address an important gap in PostgreSQL’s feature set.

> 2. How to compute the delta to be applied to materialized views
> Essentially, IVM is based on relational algebra. Theorically, changes on
> base
> tables are represented as deltas on this, like "R <- R + dR", and the
> delta on
> the materialized view is computed using base table deltas based on "change
> propagation equations".  For implementation, we have to derive the
> equation from
> the view definition query (Query tree, or Plan tree?) and describe this as
> SQL
> query to compulte delta to be applied to the materialized view.

We had a similar discussion in this thread
and I’m very much in agreement that the "change propagation equations”
approach can solve for a very substantial subset of common MV use cases.

> There could be several operations for view definition: selection,
> projection,
> join,  aggregation, union, difference, intersection, etc.  If we can
> prepare a
> module for each operation, it makes IVM extensable, so we can start a
> simple
> view definition, and then support more complex views.

Such a decomposition also allows ’stacking’, allowing complex MV definitions
to be attacked even with only a small handful of modules.

I did a bit of an experiment to see if "change propagation equations” could
be computed directly from the MV’s pg_node_tree representation in the
catalog in PlPgSQL. I found that pg_node_trees are not particularly friendly
to manipulation in PlPgSQL. Even with a more friendly-to-PlPgSQL
representation (I played with JSONB), then the next problem is making sense
of the structures, and unfortunately amongst the many plan/path/tree utility
functions in the code base, I figured only a very few could be sensibly
exposed to PlPgSQL. Ultimately, although I’m still attracted to the idea,
and I think it could be made to work, native code is the way to go at least
for now.

> 4. When to maintain materialized views
> [...]
> In the previous discussion[4], it is planned to start from "eager"
> approach. In our PoC
> implementaion, we used the other aproach, that is, using REFRESH command
> to perform IVM.
> I am not sure which is better as a start point, but I begin to think that
> the eager
> approach may be more simple since we don't have to maintain base table
> changes in other
> past transactions.

Certainly the eager approach allows progress to be made with less
infrastructure.

I am concerned that the eager approach only addresses a subset of the MV use
case space, though. For example, if we presume that an MV is present because
the underlying direct query would be non-performant, then we have to at
least question whether applying the delta-update would also be detrimental
to some use cases.

In the eager maintenance approache, we have to consider a race condition
where two
different transactions change base tables simultaneously as discussed in
[4].

I wonder if that nudges towards a logged approach. If the race is due to
fact of JOIN-worthy tuples been made visible after a COMMIT, but not before,
then does it not follow that the eager approach has to fire some kind of
reconciliation work at COMMIT time? That seems to imply a persistent queue
of some kind, since we can’t assume transactions to be so small to be able
to hold the queue in memory.

Hmm. I hadn’t really thought about that particular corner case. I guess a
‘catch' could be simply be to detect such a concurrent update and demote the
refresh approach by marking the MV stale awaiting a full refresh.

denty.

Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-hackers-f1928748.html

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Adam Brusselback
Hi all, just wanted to say  I am very happy to see progress made on this, my codebase has multiple "materialized tables" which are maintained with statement triggers (transition tables) and custom functions. They are ugly and a pain to maintain, but they work because I have no other solution...for now at least.

I am concerned that the eager approach only addresses a subset of the MV use
case space, though. For example, if we presume that an MV is present because
the underlying direct query would be non-performant, then we have to at
least question whether applying the delta-update would also be detrimental
to some use cases.

I will say that in my case, as long as my reads of the materialized view are always consistent with the underlying data, that's what's important.  I don't mind if it's eager, or lazy (as long as lazy still means it will refresh prior to reading).

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh
Dear all,

We have some result on incremental update for MVs. We generate triggers on C to do the incremental maintenance. We posted the code to github about 1 year ago, but unfortunately i posted a not-right ctrigger.h header. The mistake was exposed to me when a person could not compile the generated triggers and reported to me. And now i re-posted with the right ctrigger.h file.

You can find the codes of the generator here: https://github.com/ntqvinh/PgMvIncrementalUpdate/commits/master. You can find how did we do here: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0361768816050066. The paper is about generating of codes in pl/pgsql. Anyway i see it is useful for reading the codes. I don't know if i can share the paper or not so that i don't publish anywhere else. The text about how to generate triggers in C was published with open-access but unfortunately, it is in Vietnamese.

We are happy if the codes are useful for someone.

NTQ Vinh

the underlying direct query would be non-performant, then we have to at
least question whether applying the delta-update would also be detrimental
to some use cases.

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Tatsuo Ishii-3
In reply to this post by Adam Brusselback
> Hi all, just wanted to say  I am very happy to see progress made on this,
> my codebase has multiple "materialized tables" which are maintained with
> statement triggers (transition tables) and custom functions. They are ugly
> and a pain to maintain, but they work because I have no other
> solution...for now at least.
> I am concerned that the eager approach only addresses a subset of the MV use
>> case space, though. For example, if we presume that an MV is present
>> because
>> the underlying direct query would be non-performant, then we have to at
>> least question whether applying the delta-update would also be detrimental
>> to some use cases.
> I will say that in my case, as long as my reads of the materialized view
> are always consistent with the underlying data, that's what's important.  I
> don't mind if it's eager, or lazy (as long as lazy still means it will
> refresh prior to reading).

Assuming that we want to implement IVM incrementally (that means, for
example, we implement DELETE for IVM in PostgreSQL XX, then INSERT for
IVM for PostgreSQL XX+1... etc.), I think it's hard to do it with an
eager approach if want to MV is always consistent with base tables.

On the other hand, a lazy approach allows to implement IVM
incrementally because we could always let full MV build from scratch
if operations on MV include queries we do not support.

Best regards,
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
English: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/index_en.php
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh
Dear All,

The tool analyzes the input query and then generates triggers (trigger functions and pl/pgsql scripts as well) on all manipulating events (insert/updates/delete) for all underlying base tables. The triggers do incremental updates to the table that contains the query result (MV). You can build the tool, then see the provided example and try the tool. It is for synchronous maintenance.  It was hard tested but you can use it with your own risk.

For Asynchronous maintenance, we generate 1) triggers on all manipulating events on base tables to collect all the data changes and save to the 'special' tables; then 2) the tool to do incremental updates of MVs.

Best regards,

Vinh

TS. Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh
-----------------------------------------------
Chủ nhiệm khoa Tin học
Trường ĐH Sư phạm - ĐH Đà Nẵng
------------------------------------------------
Nguyen Tran Quoc Vinh, PhD
Dean
Faculty of Information Technology
Danang University of Education
Phone: (+84) 511.6-512-586
Mobile: (+84) 914.78-08-98

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM Tatsuo Ishii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all, just wanted to say  I am very happy to see progress made on this,
> my codebase has multiple "materialized tables" which are maintained with
> statement triggers (transition tables) and custom functions. They are ugly
> and a pain to maintain, but they work because I have no other
> solution...for now at least.
> I am concerned that the eager approach only addresses a subset of the MV use
>> case space, though. For example, if we presume that an MV is present
>> because
>> the underlying direct query would be non-performant, then we have to at
>> least question whether applying the delta-update would also be detrimental
>> to some use cases.
> I will say that in my case, as long as my reads of the materialized view
> are always consistent with the underlying data, that's what's important.  I
> don't mind if it's eager, or lazy (as long as lazy still means it will
> refresh prior to reading).

Assuming that we want to implement IVM incrementally (that means, for
example, we implement DELETE for IVM in PostgreSQL XX, then INSERT for
IVM for PostgreSQL XX+1... etc.), I think it's hard to do it with an
eager approach if want to MV is always consistent with base tables.

On the other hand, a lazy approach allows to implement IVM
incrementally because we could always let full MV build from scratch
if operations on MV include queries we do not support.

Best regards,
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
English: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/index_en.php
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Mitar
In reply to this post by Yugo Nagata
Hi!

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 4:57 AM Yugo Nagata <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to implement Incremental View Maintenance (IVM) on PostgreSQL.
> IVM is a technique to maintain materialized views which computes and applies
> only the incremental changes to the materialized views rather than
> recomputate the contents as the current REFRESH command does.

That sounds great! I am interested in this topic because I am
interested in reactive/live queries and support for them in
PostgreSQL. [1]

In that context, the problem is very similar: based on some state of
query results and updated source tables, determine what should be new
updates to send to the client describing changes to the query results.
So after computing those incremental changes, instead of applying them
to materialized view I would send them to the client. One could see
materialized views only type of consumers of such information about
incremental change.

So I would like to ask if whatever is done in this setting is done in
a way that one could also outside of the context of materialized view.
Not sure what would API be thought.

From the perspective of reactive/live queries, this package [2] is
interesting. To my understanding, it adds to all base tables two
columns, one for unique ID and one for revision of the row. And then
rewrites queries so that this information is passed all the way to
query results. In this way it can then determine mapping between
inputs and outputs. I am not sure if it then does incremental update
or just uses that to determine if view is invalidated. Not sure if
there is anything about such approach in literature. Or why both index
and revision columns are needed.

> and made a bit more surveys.

I also do not see much difference between asking users to have primary
key on base tables or asking them to have OIDs. Why do you think that
a requirement for primary keys is a hard one? I think we should first
focus on having IVM with base tables with primary keys. Maybe then
later on we could improve on that and make it also work without.

To me personally, having unique index on source tables and also on
materialized view is a reasonable restriction for this feature.
Especially for initial versions of it.

> However, the discussion about IVM is now stoped, so we would like to restart and
> progress this.

What would be next steps in your view to move this further?

> of performing delete & insert.

Why do you need OLD and NEW? Don't you need just NEW and a list of
columns which changed from those in NEW? I use such diffing query [4]
to represent changes: first column has a flag telling if the row is
representing insert, update, and remove, the second column tells which
column are being changed in the case of the update, and then the NEW
columns follow.

I think that maybe standardizing structure for representing those
changes would be a good step towards making this modular and reusable.
Because then we can have three parts:

* Recording and storing changes in a standard format.
* A function which given original data, stored changes, computes
updates needed, also in some standard format.
* A function which given original data and updates needed, applies them.

> In the previous discussion[4], it is planned to start from "eager" approach. In our PoC
> implementaion, we used the other aproach, that is, using REFRESH command to perform IVM.
> I am not sure which is better as a start point, but I begin to think that the eager
> approach may be more simple since we don't have to maintain base table changes in other
> past transactions.

I think if we split things into three parts as I described above, then
this is just a question of configuration. Or you call all three inside
one trigger to update in "eager" fashion. Or you store computed
updates somewhere and then on demand apply those in "lazy" fashion.

> different transactions change base tables simultaneously as discussed in [4].

But in the case of "lazy" maintenance there is a mirror problem: what
if later changes to base tables invalidate some previous change to the
materialized view. Imagine that one cell in a base table is first
updated too "foo" and we compute an update for the materialized view
to set it to "foo". And then the same cell is updated to "bar" and we
compute an update for the materialized view again. If we have not
applied any of those updates (because we are "lazy") now the
previously computed update can be discarded. We could still apply
both, but it would not be efficient.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKLmikP%2BPPB49z8rEEvRjFOD0D2DV72KdqYN7s9fjh9sM_32ZA%40mail.gmail.com
[2] https://github.com/nothingisdead/pg-live-query
[3] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-createtable.html
[4] https://github.com/tozd/node-reactive-postgres/blob/eeda4f28d096b6e552d04c5ea138c258cb5b9389/index.js#L329-L340

Mitar

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Yugo Nagata
In reply to this post by Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh
On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 14:46:25 +0700
Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have some result on incremental update for MVs. We generate triggers on
> C to do the incremental maintenance. We posted the code to github about 1
> year ago, but unfortunately i posted a not-right ctrigger.h header. The
> mistake was exposed to me when a person could not compile the generated
> triggers and reported to me. And now i re-posted with the right ctrigger.h
> file.
> You can find the codes of the generator here:
> https://github.com/ntqvinh/PgMvIncrementalUpdate/commits/master. You can
> find how did we do here:
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0361768816050066. The paper is
> about generating of codes in pl/pgsql. Anyway i see it is useful for
> reading the codes. I don't know if i can share the paper or not so that i
> don't publish anywhere else. The text about how to generate triggers in C
> was published with open-access but unfortunately, it is in Vietnamese.
> We are happy if the codes are useful for someone.

I have read your paper. It is interesting and great so that the algorithm
is described concretely.

After reading this, I have a few questions about your implementation.
Although I may be able to understand by reading your paper and code carefully,
I would appreciate it if you could answer these.

- It is said there are many limitations on the view definition query.
  How does this work when the query is not supported?

- Is it possible to support materialized views that have DISTINCT,
  OUTER JOIN, or sub-query in your approach?

- It is said that AVG is splitted to SUM and COUNT. Are these new additional
  columns in MV visible for users?

- Does this can handle the race condition discussed in [1], that is,
  if concurrent transactions update different two tables in the join
  view definition, is MV updated sucessfully?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1368561126.64093.YahooMailNeo%40web162904.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

Regards,
Yugo Nagata <[hidden email]>

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Yugo Nagata
In reply to this post by Mitar
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 00:39:00 -0800
Mitar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That sounds great! I am interested in this topic because I am
> interested in reactive/live queries and support for them in
> PostgreSQL. [1]
> In that context, the problem is very similar: based on some state of
> query results and updated source tables, determine what should be new
> updates to send to the client describing changes to the query results.
> So after computing those incremental changes, instead of applying them
> to materialized view I would send them to the client. One could see
> materialized views only type of consumers of such information about
> incremental change.
> So I would like to ask if whatever is done in this setting is done in
> a way that one could also outside of the context of materialized view.
> Not sure what would API be thought.

I didn't know about reactive/live queries but this seems share a part of
problem with IVM, so we might have common API.

BTW, what is uecase of reactive/live queries? (just curious)

> > For these reasons, we started to think to implement IVM without relying on OIDs
> > and made a bit more surveys.
> I also do not see much difference between asking users to have primary
> key on base tables or asking them to have OIDs. Why do you think that
> a requirement for primary keys is a hard one? I think we should first
> focus on having IVM with base tables with primary keys. Maybe then
> later on we could improve on that and make it also work without.
> To me personally, having unique index on source tables and also on
> materialized view is a reasonable restriction for this feature.
> Especially for initial versions of it.

Initially, I chose to use OIDs for theoretical reason, that is, to handle
"bag-semantics" which allows duplicate rows in tables. However, I agree
that we start from the restriction of having unique index on base tables.

> > If we can represent a change of UPDATE on a base table as query-like rather than
> > OLD and NEW, it may be possible to update the materialized view directly instead
> > of performing delete & insert.
> Why do you need OLD and NEW? Don't you need just NEW and a list of
> columns which changed from those in NEW? I use such diffing query [4]
> to represent changes: first column has a flag telling if the row is
> representing insert, update, and remove, the second column tells which
> column are being changed in the case of the update, and then the NEW
> columns follow.

According the change propagation equation approach, OLD is necessary
to calculate tuples in MV to be deleted or modified. However, if tables
has unique keys, such tuples can be identifeid using the keys, so
OLD may not be needed, at least in eager approach.

In lazy approach, OLD contents of table is useful. For example, with
a join view MV = R * S, when dR is inserted into R and dS is inserted
into S, the delta to be inserted into MV will be

dMV = (R_old * dS) + (dR * S_new)
    = (R_old * dS) + (dR * S_old) + (dR * dS)

, hence the old contents of tables R and S are needed.

> I think that maybe standardizing structure for representing those
> changes would be a good step towards making this modular and reusable.
> Because then we can have three parts:
> * Recording and storing changes in a standard format.
> * A function which given original data, stored changes, computes
> updates needed, also in some standard format.
> * A function which given original data and updates needed, applies them.

> I think if we split things into three parts as I described above, then
> this is just a question of configuration. Or you call all three inside
> one trigger to update in "eager" fashion. Or you store computed
> updates somewhere and then on demand apply those in "lazy" fashion.

I agree that defining the format to represent changes is important. However,
I am not sure both of eager and lazy can be handled in the same manner. I'll
consider about this more.

> > In the eager maintenance approache, we have to consider a race condition where two
> > different transactions change base tables simultaneously as discussed in [4].
> But in the case of "lazy" maintenance there is a mirror problem: what
> if later changes to base tables invalidate some previous change to the
> materialized view. Imagine that one cell in a base table is first
> updated too "foo" and we compute an update for the materialized view
> to set it to "foo". And then the same cell is updated to "bar" and we
> compute an update for the materialized view again. If we have not
> applied any of those updates (because we are "lazy") now the
> previously computed update can be discarded. We could still apply
> both, but it would not be efficient.

In our PoC implementation, I handled this situation by removing
old contents from NEW delata table. In your example, when the base
table is updated from "foo" to "bar", the "foo" tuple is removed
from and the "bar" tuple is inserted in NEW delta and the delta
of MV is computed using the final NEW delta.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata <[hidden email]>

Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

Mitar
Hi!

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:20 AM Yugo Nagata <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, what is uecase of reactive/live queries? (just curious)

It allows syncing the state between client and server. Client can then
have a subset of data and server can push changes as they are
happening to the client. Client can in a reactive manner render that
in the UI to the user. So you can easily create a reactive UI which
always shows up-to-date data without having to poll or something
similar.

How are things progressing? Any news on this topic?

Mitar