Install different directory issues

Thanks for any help!
Tom Carter

Re: Install different directory issues

Adrian Klaver-4
On 11/27/19 10:49 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:
> I installed Postgres to /app and now psql command not working under
> Postgres user along with not knowing how to start the service like with
> a traditional systemctl.

Installed using source, package, other and from where?

> RHEL7
> Postgres 10.11
> Thanks for any help!
> --
> Tom Carter

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: Install different directory issues

Thomas Carter

I’m not sure if I would have the same issue right now if I used rpm —prefix.

Tom Carter

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/27/19 10:49 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:
> Installed using source, package, other and from where?
>> RHEL7
>> Postgres 10.11
>> Thanks for any help!
>> --
>> Tom Carter
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> [hidden email]

Re: Install different directory issues

Justin-2
Hi Thomas

did you make sure the search paths and the paths in the config files were updated to find postgresql files.   I've seen this not get updated by the install scripts

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:20 PM Thomas Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m not sure if I would have the same issue right now if I used rpm —prefix.

Tom Carter

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/27/19 10:49 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:
> Installed using source, package, other and from where?
>> RHEL7
>> Postgres 10.11
>> Thanks for any help!
>> --
>> Tom Carter
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> [hidden email]

Re: Install different directory issues

Adrian Klaver-4
In reply to this post by Thomas Carter
On 11/27/19 11:19 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:
> I installed using the Postgres Installer package available on the Postgres site. With the system setup, I had to install to /app. I choose to use the installer because yum wouldn’t allow for me to choose a different install destination.

There is more then one installer, which one?

Do you have another instance of Postgres installed?

> I’m not sure if I would have the same issue right now if I used rpm —prefix.
> Tom Carter
>> On Nov 27, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/27/19 10:49 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:
>>> I installed Postgres to /app and now psql command not working under Postgres user along with not knowing how to start the service like with a traditional systemctl.
>> Installed using source, package, other and from where?
>>> RHEL7
>>> Postgres 10.11
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>> --
>>> Tom Carter
>> --
>> Adrian Klaver
>> [hidden email]

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: Install different directory issues

Justin-2
In reply to this post by Justin-2
I'm not that knowledgeable of  Redhat  paths
here is how i would start
first find the daemon or systemd  postgresql.service files.  on debian these are located in /etc/init.d or /etc/systemd    if the files exist modify them to the correct paths if they do not exist the install went very side-ways  uninstall and and try again and read help files regarding the command line switches to change the install path

If the the files are and paths are correct the something else went wrong.   either failed to register the daemon or initdb failed which will cause the service to fail to start.

try to  start postgres from the command prompt.  it will throw errors giving you an idea what the problem is

on debian logs are located in /var/log/postgresql/versionnumber/

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 3:58 PM Thomas Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Justin,
I expect this is the case since the traditional install will have everything “fall” into the right place. How would I correct since I’ve installed to the /app directory?

Thanks for your help.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:26 PM Justin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thomas

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:20 PM Thomas Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m not sure if I would have the same issue right now if I used rpm —prefix.

Tom Carter

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/27/19 10:49 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:
> Installed using source, package, other and from where?
>> RHEL7