soumitra
Hi ,

I am using RHEL to install Postgres 10 and setting up replication . But in my OS no postgres user exists . Installed it with sudo access . Can I run the postgres DB with all it's utility (like psql, vaccumdb , pg_rewind , initdb etc.) along with Master slave replication, archival process without postgres user.

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,
Soumitra Bhandary Postgres Database Administrator

Shreeyansh dba
Hi Sumintra,

You have to create a postgres OS user,initdb must be run as the user that will own the server process, because the server needs to have access to the files and directories that initdb creates. Since the server cannot be run as root, you must not run initdb as root either. (It will in fact refuse to do so.)

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,

Ron-2
In reply to this post by soumitra
On 2/28/19 11:07 PM, soumitra bhandary wrote:
Hi ,

How are you installing it?  (Packages will automatically create Linux account "postgres".)

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Why?

Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Laurenz Albe
In reply to this post by soumitra
soumitra bhandary wrote:
> I am using RHEL to install Postgres 10 and setting up replication . But in my OS no postgres user exists .
> Installed it with sudo access . Can I run the postgres DB with all it's utility (like psql, vaccumdb ,
> pg_rewind , initdb etc.) along with Master slave replication, archival process without postgres user.
> If it can be done , do I need to follow any extra step to the os user apart from postgres ?
> Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

If you use the RPM packages from the PostgreSQL download page, as I would recommend,
a user "postgres" will be created automatically.

You can of course remove the user again, but you will need a user different
from "root" to run PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL will refuse to start under the "root" user for security reasons.
It is not commendable to run any software as "root" unless absolutely necessary.

Mind you, "postgres" is *not* the owner of the executables (this is not Oracle), but
the owner of the database files and processes.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

soumitra
In reply to this post by Shreeyansh dba
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

I installed postgres 10.0 rpm . It created osuser postgres and executed initdb and cluster is up and running .

Then I took my current user (not root) to create another cluster using initdb . It successfully created but I am not able to log in to the new cluster using psql and current user(through which initdb was executed).

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Installation of Postgres 10.0 and running application with HA without postgres user at OS

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,
Soumitra Bhandary Postgres Database Administrator

Shreeyansh dba
What error did you face during connectivity?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,

Shreeyansh dba
In addition to this.

Try with below command

psql -p db_port -d dbname -U username

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 12:54 PM Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:
What error did you face during connectivity?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,

soumitra
In reply to this post by Shreeyansh dba
Yes during connection.

Sent from my iPhone

On 07-Mar-2019, at 12:54 PM, Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:

What error did you face during connectivity?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,
Soumitra Bhandary Postgres Database Administrator

Shreeyansh dba
Change your port no. if already running which by default 5432 into the postgresql.conf file and try to connect it again.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 1:10 PM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes during connection.

Sent from my iPhone

On 07-Mar-2019, at 12:54 PM, Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:

What error did you face during connectivity?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,

soumitra
In reply to this post by Shreeyansh dba
Yes same commands I am using

Sent from my iPhone

On 07-Mar-2019, at 1:04 PM, Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:

In addition to this.

Try with below command

psql -p db_port -d dbname -U username

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 12:54 PM Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:
What error did you face during connectivity?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,
Soumitra Bhandary Postgres Database Administrator

soumitra
Hi Shreyansh ,

Thanks !!!
The issue was different in file permission . So now I am able to log in .  But can not start this postges instance (running on different user apart from postgres) as a systemd utility . Only way to start or stop the instance is pg_ctl . Even after changing  PGDATA in systemd file and reloaded .

What could be issue if my postgres is not running as a service from root .

Thanks

From: soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 5:00 PM
To: Shreeyansh Dba
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Yes same commands I am using

Sent from my iPhone

On 07-Mar-2019, at 1:04 PM, Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:

In addition to this.

Try with below command

psql -p db_port -d dbname -U username

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 12:54 PM Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:
What error did you face during connectivity?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shreeyansh ,

Thanks for the response .

Thanks,

From: Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:29 AM
To: soumitra bhandary
Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

Hi Sumintra,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ,

Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

Thanks ,
Soumitra Bhandary Postgres Database Administrator

Scott Ribe-2
User; you can't run it as root no matter how you're starting it. Set the user in your unit file.

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 10:27 PM, soumitra bhandary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What could be issue if my postgres is not running as a service from root .