Is there a way to log only a particular user connection attempts in Postgres?

Is there a way to log only a particular user connection attempts in Postgres?

pavan95
Hi Community,

Is there any way to log a user login/connection attempts in a log file ?

I  know that we have log_connections parameter for this. But it logs all the
connection attempts for all users across the instance.

But here my requirement is to exclude login attempts for a particular
user(as in my case its application user and postgres  user).

I have also seen "pg_audit" but it is not logging any login events.

Please shed some light on this scenario.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Pavan Teja,

Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Re: Is there a way to log only a particular user connection attempts in Postgres?

Ron-2
On 3/21/19 11:24 PM, pavan95 wrote:
> Hi Community,
> Is there any way to log a user login/connection attempts in a log file ?
> I  know that we have log_connections parameter for this. But it logs all the
> connection attempts for all users across the instance.
> But here my requirement is to exclude login attempts for a particular
> user(as in my case its application user

A user that can't log in isn't much of a user.

> and postgres  user).

In a misguided, auditor-mandated attempt at security?

Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Achilleas Mantzios
In reply to this post by pavan95
Hello
On 22/3/19 6:24 π.μ., pavan95 wrote:
> Hi Community,
> Is there any way to log a user login/connection attempts in a log file ?
> I  know that we have log_connections parameter for this. But it logs all the
> connection attempts for all users across the instance.
> But here my requirement is to exclude login attempts for a particular
> user(as in my case its application user and postgres  user).
You can't set that on a user level. At least not with pgsql 11. What you can do is use connection pooling (which is a good thing) so that login connections/disconnections will be not so frequent as to
create noise in your log files.

> I have also seen "pg_audit" but it is not logging any login events.
> Please shed some light on this scenario.
> Looking forward to hear from you.
> Regards,

Hi Pavan,

Thanks & Regards,
Shreeyansh DBA Team
www.shreeyansh.com

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 9:54 AM pavan95 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Community,

Is there any way to log a user login/connection attempts in a log file ?

I  know that we have log_connections parameter for this. But it logs all the
connection attempts for all users across the instance.

But here my requirement is to exclude login attempts for a particular
user(as in my case its application user and postgres  user).

I have also seen "pg_audit" but it is not logging any login events.

Please shed some light on this scenario.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Pavan Teja,

Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Renee
Have you considered changing your logging format to csv?

The noise will still be in there but it’ll be in a form where you can query it.

On Mar 22, 2019, at 4:51 AM, Shreeyansh Dba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Pavan,

Thanks & Regards,
Shreeyansh DBA Team
www.shreeyansh.com

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 9:54 AM pavan95 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Community,

Is there any way to log a user login/connection attempts in a log file ?

I  know that we have log_connections parameter for this. But it logs all the
connection attempts for all users across the instance.

But here my requirement is to exclude login attempts for a particular
user(as in my case its application user and postgres  user).

I have also seen "pg_audit" but it is not logging any login events.

Please shed some light on this scenario.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Pavan Teja,

Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

Michael Banck-3
In reply to this post by Shreeyansh dba

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 02:21:33PM +0530, Shreeyansh Dba wrote:
> Go through the below link hope this will help you.
> https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/118018/is-it-possible-to-exclude-specific-users-in-log-activity-of-postgresql

That qustion/answer is about exluding general log messages for some
user, not excluding connection (attempts)/disconnections for some user.

Michael