Logical replication monitoring

Logical replication monitoring

AYahorau
Hello PostgreSQL Community!

I configured logical replication for PostgreSQL 10.4 on 2 machines, set wal_level to logical, created a publication on master node and created a subscription on standby node according to the PostgreSQL documentation.
Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

According to my experience the monitoring of pg_stat_subscription and pg_publication, pg_replication_slots unfortunately is not enough for this aim. Moreover standby database does not prohibit write operations by default and it can lead to some inconsistency between these databases.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

So is there a reliable way of replication state monitoring for logical replication?

Re: Logical replication monitoring

Achilleas Mantzios
On 10/08/2018 13:05, [hidden email] wrote:
Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

tail_n_mail and look for relevant errors (logical, logical replication worker ... exited with ..., ERROR)

Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt

Re: Logical replication monitoring

AYahorau
In reply to this post by AYahorau
Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion.
I  afraid this approach is not suitable for me. As a rule my postgresql log  on subscriber side contains a  bunch of the following entries:

ERROR:  terminating logical replication worker due to timeout

00000 LOG:  worker process: logical replication worker for subscription 24578 (PID 6217) exited with exit code 1

How should I handle this situation?
As I understand this is quite normal situation. But why is severity for it  an ERROR ?

I have another assumption. Could you correct me if I am wrong.
I found out in the source code that logical replication worker termination depends on wal_receiver_timeout paramer.
So I propose setting wal_receiver_timeout  to 0.
In this case I think that monitoring of the following views  pg_stat_subscription, pg_publication and pg_stat_replication  is enough.

In case if there  is some problem with connection or with replication pg_stat_replication  will show nothing because wal sender will not be working otherwise it will give some information.
Am I right? Are there any vulnerabilities in this approach ?

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        10/08/2018 13:05
Subject:        Logical replication monitoring

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

Re: Logical replication monitoring

Rajni Baliyan-2

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 8:16 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion.

ERROR:  terminating logical replication worker due to timeout

How should I handle this situation?

I have another assumption. Could you correct me if I am wrong.
So I propose setting wal_receiver_timeout  to 0.

Am I right? Are there any vulnerabilities in this approach ?

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        10/08/2018 13:05
Subject:        Logical replication monitoring

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

Re: Logical replication monitoring

AYahorau
Hello,
Sorry for being persistent,

Could you please explain how to use these commands? Could you please provide an example?

From:        Rajni Baliyan <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        pgsql-admin <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Date:        14/08/2018 06:24
Subject:        Re: Logical replication monitoring

Check below link. Might help you.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 8:16 PM, <AYahorau@...> wrote:
Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion.

ERROR:  terminating logical replication worker due to timeout

How should I handle this situation?

I have another assumption. Could you correct me if I am wrong.
So I propose setting wal_receiver_timeout  to 0.
Am I right? Are there any vulnerabilities in this approach ?

From:
Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:
[hidden email],
Cc:
Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:
10/08/2018 13:05
Subject:
Logical replication monitoring

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery()

SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication
and

SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver

provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

Re: Logical replication monitoring

Achilleas Mantzios
In reply to this post by AYahorau
On 13/08/2018 13:16, [hidden email] wrote:
Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion.

ERROR:  terminating logical replication worker due to timeout

How should I handle this situation?
In my short experience with logical replication, those ERRORs should be avoided, you better increase the relevant timeouts: wal_receiver_timeout , wal_sender_timeout . One hand tool we use here is tail_n_mail , it is tailored specifically for parsing PostgreSQL logs and sending emails with alerts.

I have another assumption. Could you correct me if I am wrong.
So I propose setting wal_receiver_timeout  to 0.

Am I right? Are there any vulnerabilities in this approach ?

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        10/08/2018 13:05
Subject:        Logical replication monitoring

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt

Re: Logical replication monitoring

AYahorau
In reply to this post by AYahorau
Hello,
Thank you for the suggestion.
I increased
wal_receiver_timeout , wal_sender_timeout parameters and now this error does not occur.

I installed tail_n_mail utility, made a simple config started in debug mode.
I am constantly facing the same error:

WARNING! Skipping non-existent file "/var/lib/pgsql/pg_log/postgresql.log-2018-08-23_154034"
Too many loops (20161): bailing:

The configuration file tail_n_mail.conf is quiet standart:
EMAIL: [hidden email]
PGLOG: log
MAILSUBJECT: Acme HOST Postgres errors UNIQUE : NUMBER
INCLUDE: ERROR:
INCLUDE: FATAL:
INCLUDE: PANIC:
FILE1: /var/lib/pgsql/pg_log/postgresql.log-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S
LASTFILE1: /var/lib/pgsql/pg_log/postgresql.log-2018-08-23_154034

Could you please say is there anything wrong in my configuration or script usage?

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        13/08/2018 13:16
Subject:        Re: Logical replication monitoring

Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion.

ERROR:  terminating logical replication worker due to timeout

How should I handle this situation?

I have another assumption. Could you correct me if I am wrong.
So I propose setting wal_receiver_timeout  to 0.

Am I right? Are there any vulnerabilities in this approach ?

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        10/08/2018 13:05
Subject:        Logical replication monitoring

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

Re: Logical replication monitoring

Achilleas Mantzios
On 24/08/2018 11:49, [hidden email] wrote:
Hello,
Hello

Thank you for the suggestion.
I increased

Glad it worked!
I installed tail_n_mail utility, made a simple config started in debug mode.
I am constantly facing the same error:

I had my PITA moments with tail_n_mail myself, it seems it doesn't want to work with %c (session id) in the log_line_prefix. Anyways, some comments :
- are you doing anything exotic with your log files? which such file patterns? why do you need to create a new file every second? This is bad for many reasons.
- did you specify the same LOG_LINE_PREFIX in your tnm conf file as in postgresql.conf ?

In any case, for tnm related problems you better ask the ppl you maintain it. For the time being just make sure that your replication works.
Too many loops (20161): bailing:

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        13/08/2018 13:16
Subject:        Re: Logical replication monitoring

Hello!

Thank you for your suggestion.

ERROR:  terminating logical replication worker due to timeout

How should I handle this situation?

I have another assumption. Could you correct me if I am wrong.
So I propose setting wal_receiver_timeout  to 0.

Am I right? Are there any vulnerabilities in this approach ?

From:        Andrei Yahorau/IBA
To:        [hidden email],
Cc:        Mikalai Keida/IBA@IBA
Date:        10/08/2018 13:05
Subject:        Logical replication monitoring

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Could you please suggest an approach for replication state monitoring.

For example a chain of queries as
SELECT pg_is_is_recovery(),
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_replication and
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_wal_receiver
provide insight into replication state for hot_standby replication.

Achilleas Mantzios