MS Access Frontend

MS Access Frontend

Jason L. Amerson

I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help. The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10 and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.

Jason L. Amerson

Re: MS Access Frontend

Adrian Klaver-4
On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:

> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be easier
> on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked online for
> some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only pick up after
> Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if someone knew of
> some updated material that they could point me to or maybe walk me
> through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago and things have
> changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC drivers, which I have
> already done. I have already setup the DSN and I clicked on test and it
> says everything is fine. I know that my next step has something to do
> with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not sure how to set it up. I
> guess that is where I start to need help. The client computers using the
> frontend will be running Windows 10 and Office 365, both are updated to
> the latest versions.

This might help:

> Jason L. Amerson

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: MS Access Frontend

Tim Clarke-3
On 29/11/2019 17:30, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be
>> easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked
>> online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only
>> pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if
>> someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or
>> maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago
>> and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC
>> drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and
>> I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next
>> step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not
>> sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help.
>> The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10
>> and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.
> This might help:
>> Jason L. Amerson
That will help you manage once you have created some linked tables, but
to create them:

1) Click "External Data" from the top Access menu, then "New data
source" on the left

2) Pick "From other sources" at the bottom and as you correctly
identified "ODBC Database".

3) From the dialogue box, change the default of the two options to the
bottom one "Link....by creating linked table"

4) Next pick your created DSN from the "Select data source" dialog

5) You should then see the list of tables etc from your Postgres database

Troubleshooting; make sure you have an ODBC 32 or 64 bit version
matching the 32 or 64 bit MS Access installed.

If you use any security at the MS Access level you will need to set up a
simultaneously shared central system.mdw file in some repository. Don't
try to get more than 6-7 people using this at the same time, it breaks.

Good luck.

Tim Clarke
IT Director
Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420

Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company

________________________________

RE: MS Access Frontend

Jason L. Amerson
In reply to this post by Jason L. Amerson

Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later. So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on them and just use a different client.

Jason L. Amerson

From: Martin Gainty <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 08:02 AM
To: Jason L. Amerson <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: MS Access Frontend

Hi Jason

this is how i got the majority of work in the 90s
I have Database X that wont talk to Database Y
you can write a program that
parses the query from <Postgres>
accesses the data from <Access>
inserts to <Progress>

you can save time and $ if you accomplish one of these steps and contract for the remainder

Makes Sense?
Martin

From: Jason L. Amerson <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 12:23 PM
To: PostgreSQL <[hidden email]>
Subject: MS Access Frontend

Jason L. Amerson

Re: MS Access Frontend

Tim Clarke-3
On 30/11/2019 19:04, Jason L. Amerson wrote:

Jason L. Amerson

Libreoffice has a quick and easy database front end. Not great but functional and effort free.

Tim Clarke

Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company

Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The Manifest Voting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/ for further information.

Re: MS Access Frontend

>>> someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or
>>> maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago
>>> and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC
>>> drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and
>>> I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next
>>> step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not
>>> sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help.
>>> The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10
>>> and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.
>> This might help:
>> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-linked-tables-1d9346d6-953d-4f85-a9ce-4caec2262797
>>>
>>>
>>> Jason L. Amerson
>>>
> That will help you manage once you have created some linked tables, but
> to create them:

Which is covered in the above:

> 1) Click "External Data" from the top Access menu, then "New data
> source" on the left
> 2) Pick "From other sources" at the bottom and as you correctly
> identified "ODBC Database".
> 3) From the dialogue box, change the default of the two options to the
> bottom one "Link....by creating linked table"
> 4) Next pick your created DSN from the "Select data source" dialog
> 5) You should then see the list of tables etc from your Postgres database
> Troubleshooting; make sure you have an ODBC 32 or 64 bit version
> matching the 32 or 64 bit MS Access installed.
> If you use any security at the MS Access level you will need to set up a
> simultaneously shared central system.mdw file in some repository. Don't
> try to get more than 6-7 people using this at the same time, it breaks.
> Good luck.
> --
> Tim Clarke
> IT Director
> Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420
> Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852 5803 1687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848
> Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/
> Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
> 9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom
> ________________________________
> Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you must not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
> Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The Manifest Voting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/ for further information.

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: MS Access Frontend

Martin Mueller
Leaving aside the question of money, a frontend like AquaData Studio or the equivalent program by Jetbrains would be a much better solution. I used to work with Access a lot and quite liked it. But AquaData Studio is not any more difficult to learn and gives you access to everything Postgress can do.

I haven't used the Jetbrains version, which is cheaper.

On 11/30/19, 8:53 AM, "Adrian Klaver" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11/30/19 3:15 AM, Tim Clarke wrote:
    > On 29/11/2019 17:30, Adrian Klaver wrote:
    >> On 11/29/19 9:23 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
    >>> I am trying to setup MS Access as a frontend so that it would be
    >>> easier on my wife and children to interact with PostgreSQL. I looked
    >>> online for some tutorials but the ones I found are out-date or only
    >>> pick up after Access is connected to PostgreSQL. I was wondering if
    >>> someone knew of some updated material that they could point me to or
    >>> maybe walk me through it. I have used Access quite a bit years ago
    >>> and things have changed since then. I know I must install the ODBC
    >>> drivers, which I have already done. I have already setup the DSN and
    >>> I clicked on test and it says everything is fine. I know that my next
    >>> step has something to do with Linked Tables in Access, but I am not
    >>> sure how to set it up. I guess that is where I start to need help.
    >>> The client computers using the frontend will be running Windows 10
    >>> and Office 365, both are updated to the latest versions.
    >> This might help:
    >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.office.com_en-2Dus_article_Manage-2Dlinked-2Dtables-2D1d9346d6-2D953d-2D4f85-2Da9ce-2D4caec2262797&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=n5gUTTvGiefsNhxsv4WNKTOok9pQSRe9TVdcXwWPjbI&e=
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Jason L. Amerson
    >>>
    > That will help you manage once you have created some linked tables, but
    > to create them:

Which is covered in the above:

> 1) Click "External Data" from the top Access menu, then "New data
    > source" on the left
    > 2) Pick "From other sources" at the bottom and as you correctly
    > identified "ODBC Database".
    > 3) From the dialogue box, change the default of the two options to the
    > bottom one "Link....by creating linked table"
    > 4) Next pick your created DSN from the "Select data source" dialog
    > 5) You should then see the list of tables etc from your Postgres database
    > Troubleshooting; make sure you have an ODBC 32 or 64 bit version
    > matching the 32 or 64 bit MS Access installed.
    > If you use any security at the MS Access level you will need to set up a
    > simultaneously shared central system.mdw file in some repository. Don't
    > try to get more than 6-7 people using this at the same time, it breaks.
    > Good luck.
    > --
    > Tim Clarke
    > IT Director
    > Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420
    > Web: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.manifest.co.uk_&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=yyQ5fbd8EgtdPmHpuM9zaCn-ZVfurKRUUMinpN3JQuI&e=
    > Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
    > ________________________________
    > Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The Manifest Voting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.manifest.co.uk_legal_&d=DwIC-g&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=q2mFiQLD3Q0WGNcvV6_A-Jva78TI-_O-TJQkuVHqU_Y&s=Feq9uaUTpmf5lF-gisHmsk_MNn-Q0hlJ2DiZXvdXb3I&e=  for further information.

Adrian Klaver
    [hidden email]

Re: MS Access Frontend

Adrian Klaver-4
In reply to this post by Jason L. Amerson
On 11/30/19 11:04 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
> Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but
> problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that
> Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later.
> So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on
> them and just use a different client.

I'm a Linux user and I applaud your move. Just be aware you will not
find an Access replacement on Linux. You will find things that have
subsets of its functionality, but not a drop in replacement.

> Jason L. Amerson

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

RE: MS Access Frontend

Jason L. Amerson
I am a Linux user too. I just bought my children Windows laptops so it would
be easier for them to use. I had to buy me a Windows one too so that I can
do the whole Microsoft Family thing and monitor them a little. But I think
it is time to throw them into the deep end and see if they can swim.

Jason L. Amerson

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 01:52 PM
To: Jason L. Amerson <[hidden email]>; 'Martin Gainty'
<[hidden email]>; PostgreSQL <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: MS Access Frontend

On 11/30/19 11:04 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
> Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but
> problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that
> Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later.
> So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on
> them and just use a different client.

I'm a Linux user and I applaud your move. Just be aware you will not find an
Access replacement on Linux. You will find things that have subsets of its
functionality, but not a drop in replacement.

> Jason L. Amerson

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: MS Access Frontend

Bret Stern
My two cents. Access is awesome. Extremley fast prototyping environment.
Found on most pc's in businesses. Great reporting tools.
It is my go-to tool for prototyping DB structures, reports, great
import/export tools, and boatloads of people who are glad to share
vba code and solutions

My only bitch is the dumbing down of the application by Microsoft,
Adding bands, and hiding past tools...killing the performance with xml
bs..."there, I feel better now"

Libre Base does alot of the same things, just a different way.

If learning is the point of this discussion, then learn as much as
possible about each one.

I started using win32 back in odd-06 with ODBC and direct db-api calls,
but have steadily drifted towards RAD environments...although there's
great satisfaction and control the lower you go.

When the prototyping is over , I've been pushing Lazarus as my
multi-plateform development environment.

It still pisses me off how abused Excel is, but people don't know the
difference.

Keep on rockin

On 11/30/2019 2:34 PM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:

> I am a Linux user too. I just bought my children Windows laptops so it would
> be easier for them to use. I had to buy me a Windows one too so that I can
> do the whole Microsoft Family thing and monitor them a little. But I think
> it is time to throw them into the deep end and see if they can swim.
> Jason L. Amerson
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 01:52 PM
> To: Jason L. Amerson <[hidden email]>; 'Martin Gainty'
> <[hidden email]>; PostgreSQL <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: MS Access Frontend
> On 11/30/19 11:04 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>> Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but
>> problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that
>> Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later.
>> So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on
>> them and just use a different client.
> I'm a Linux user and I applaud your move. Just be aware you will not find an
> Access replacement on Linux. You will find things that have subsets of its
> functionality, but not a drop in replacement.
>> Jason L. Amerson
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> [hidden email]

Re: MS Access Frontend

Vincenzo Campanella
In reply to this post by Adrian Klaver-4
Il 30.11.2019 19:52, Adrian Klaver ha scritto:

> On 11/30/19 11:04 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>> Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but
>> problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that
>> Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years
>> later. So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put
>> Linux on them and just use a different client.
> I'm a Linux user and I applaud your move. Just be aware you will not
> find an Access replacement on Linux. You will find things that have
> subsets of its functionality, but not a drop in replacement.

What about Lazarus IDE?

Free, cross platform, relatively complete and easy to use, based on
FreePascal, with reporting tools included...

Re: MS Access Frontend

mgainty
In reply to this post by Bret Stern
commenting to Jason that majority of my work in the 90s was read from one DB write to another DB
via ODBC2JDBC driver

Also 2 factor DB authentication was not implemented by Access

Feel free to ping me offline if you're interested in implementing ODBC2JDBC driver as an option
Good Luck!

From: bret_stern <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 7:14 PM
To: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: MS Access Frontend

My two cents. Access is awesome. Extremley fast prototyping environment.
Found on most pc's in businesses. Great reporting tools.
It is my go-to tool for prototyping DB structures, reports, great
import/export tools, and boatloads of people who are glad to share
vba code and solutions

My only bitch is the dumbing down of the application by Microsoft,
Adding bands, and hiding past tools...killing the performance with xml
bs..."there, I feel better now"

Libre Base does alot of the same things, just a different way.

If learning is the point of this discussion, then learn as much as
possible about each one.

I started using win32 back in odd-06 with ODBC and direct db-api calls,
but have steadily drifted towards RAD environments...although there's
great satisfaction and control the lower you go.

When the prototyping is over , I've been pushing Lazarus as my
multi-plateform development environment.

It still pisses me off how abused Excel is, but people don't know the
difference.

Keep on rockin

On 11/30/2019 2:34 PM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
> I am a Linux user too. I just bought my children Windows laptops so it would
> be easier for them to use. I had to buy me a Windows one too so that I can
> do the whole Microsoft Family thing and monitor them a little. But I think
> it is time to throw them into the deep end and see if they can swim.
> Jason L. Amerson
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 01:52 PM
> To: Jason L. Amerson <[hidden email]>; 'Martin Gainty'
> <[hidden email]>; PostgreSQL <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: MS Access Frontend
> On 11/30/19 11:04 AM, Jason L. Amerson wrote:
>> Thanks Martin. I have decided to go another route. I have nothing but
>> problems whenever I use Microsoft products. I personally think that
>> Microsoft was shit when it started, and it is still shit 35 years later.
>> So, I am just going to take Windows off my computers and put Linux on
>> them and just use a different client.
> I'm a Linux user and I applaud your move. Just be aware you will not find an
> Access replacement on Linux. You will find things that have subsets of its
> functionality, but not a drop in replacement.
>> Jason L. Amerson
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> [hidden email]

Re: MS Access Frontend

Michael Nolan

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:09 AM Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

that said I think MS missed the boat on 2-phase-commits

Microsoft has never really embraced the concept of a multi-user database environment.   (It doesn't really understand the concept of a multi-user operating system, either.)
Mike Nolan

Re: MS Access Frontend

Ron-2

On 12/1/19 10:46 AM, Michael Nolan wrote:

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:09 AM Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

that said I think MS missed the boat on 2-phase-commits

You haven't used SQL Server in quite a while (almost 20 years).

Neither have you used Windows Server in quite a while (by my experience, 16 years).

Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.