Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Justin Clift-2
A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
be useful:

'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
   wraps to make room for the Search box.'

Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
wrap around.

Not sure how to fix it, but figured it worth mentioning. :)

+ Justin

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those
who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the
first group; there was less competition there."
- Indira Gandhi

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Sarah Schnurr
Justin,

A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
be useful:

'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
   wraps to make room for the Search box.'

Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
wrap around.

Not sure how to fix it, but figured it worth mentioning. :)

Thanks for the report! A fix is being worked on. :)

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

In reply to this post by Justin Clift-2
Justin Clift <[hidden email]> writes:
> A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
> be useful:
>   'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
>    wraps to make room for the Search box.'

> Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
> wrap around.

Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.

If I make the window a little narrower, the search box and *all* of the
buttons disappear, turning the nav bar into a complete waste of space.
That needs some more thought too.

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Jonathan S. Katz-3

> On Apr 19, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Justin Clift <[hidden email]> writes:
>> be useful:
>>  'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
>>   wraps to make room for the Search box.'
>> Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
>> wrap around.
> Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
> use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
> a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.
> If I make the window a little narrower, the search box and *all* of the
> buttons disappear, turning the nav bar into a complete waste of space.
> That needs some more thought too.

Hmm…agreed.  It seems like we should have at least a few buttons there
to help with the navigation so it’s not completely at that in-between mobile /
larger browser window view.

Jonathan

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Greg Stark
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 at 13:05, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Justin Clift <[hidden email]> writes:
> > A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
> > be useful:
> >   'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
> >    wraps to make room for the Search box.'
> > Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
> > wrap around.
> Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
> use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
> a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.

I'm seeing the navbar actually appear on top of the content now hiding
the first few lines of the page. That completely hides the new release
banner and partially hides the list of releases making it hard to tell
what release you're actually looking at.

Didn't we decide to get rid of the fixed nav bar already? It seems
like just a recipe for wasting precious vertical space, especially on
small screens like mobile screens.

greg

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Daniel Gustafsson
> On 11 Feb 2019, at 19:50, Greg Stark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 at 13:05, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Justin Clift <[hidden email]> writes:
>>> A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
>>> be useful:
>>>  'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
>>>   wraps to make room for the Search box.'
>>> Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
>>> wrap around.
>> Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
>> use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
>> a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.
> I'm seeing the navbar actually appear on top of the content now hiding
> the first few lines of the page. That completely hides the new release
> banner and partially hides the list of releases making it hard to tell
> what release you're actually looking at.
> Didn't we decide to get rid of the fixed nav bar already? It seems
> like just a recipe for wasting precious vertical space, especially on
> small screens like mobile screens.

If you are referring to the navbar hiding content on the documentation pages,
it’s discussed in [hidden email] and Jonathan is
working on a patch for it.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Jonathan S. Katz-3
On 2/11/19 8:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> If you are referring to the navbar hiding content on the documentation pages,
> it’s discussed in [hidden email] and Jonathan is
> working on a patch for it.

I have pushed a fix for this. Apologies for the delay.

Jonathan

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Daniel Gustafsson
> On 13 Feb 2019, at 04:03, Jonathan S. Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2/11/19 8:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> If you are referring to the navbar hiding content on the documentation pages,
>> it’s discussed in [hidden email] and Jonathan is
>> working on a patch for it.
> I have pushed a fix for this. Apologies for the delay.

Wasn’t the shoutbox removed from the docs pages previously to conserve vertical
space?