PG 13 release notes, first draft

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
173 messages Options
1234 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
see them here:

        https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html

It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
build should happen in a few hours.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

David Rowley
On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 15:16, Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> see them here:
>
>         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> build should happen in a few hours.

Thanks a lot for putting that together.

In previous years, during the development of this you've had HTML
comments to include the commit details.  Are you going to do that this
year? or did they just disappear in some compilation phase you've
done?

David


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

David Rowley
On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 16:10, David Rowley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In previous years, during the development of this you've had HTML
> comments to include the commit details.  Are you going to do that this
> year? or did they just disappear in some compilation phase you've
> done?

Never mind. I just saw them all in the commit you've pushed.

David


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Thomas Munro-5
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:16 PM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> see them here:
>
>         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> build should happen in a few hours.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks!  Some feedback:

+2020-04-08 [3985b600f] Support PrefetchBuffer() in recovery.
+-->
+
+<para>
+Speedup recovery by prefetching pages (Thomas Munro)

Unfortunately that commit was just an infrastructural change to allow
the PrefetchBuffer() function to work in recovery, but the main
"prefetching during recovery" patch to actually make use of it to go
faster didn't make it.  So this item shouldn't be in the release
notes.

+2020-04-07 [4c04be9b0] Introduce xid8-based functions to replace txid_XXX.
+-->
+
+<para>
+Update all transaction id functions to support xid8 (Thomas Munro)
+</para>
+
+<para>
+They use the same names as the xid data type versions.
+</para>

The names are actually different.  How about: "New xid8-based
functions replace the txid family of functions, but the older names
are still supported for backward compatibility."

+2019-10-16 [d5ac14f9c] Use libc version as a collation version on glibc systems
+-->
+
+<para>
+Use the glibc version as the collation version (Thomas Munro)
+</para>
+
+<para>
+If the glibc version changes, a warning will be issued when a
mismatching collation is used.
+</para>

I would add a qualifier "in some cases", since it doesn't work for
default collations yet.  (That'll now have to wait for 14).


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Fabien COELHO-3
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian

Hello Bruce,

> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> see them here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> build should happen in a few hours.

Thanks for working on this.

* Add CREATE DATABASE LOCALE option (Fabien COELHO)
* Add function gen_random_uuid to generate version 4 UUIDs (Fabien COELHO)

I'm not responsible for these, I just reviewed them. ISTM that the author
for both is the committer, Peter Eisentraut.

Maybe there is something amiss in the commit-log-to-release-notes script?
My name clearly appears after "reviewed by:?"

* "DOCUMENT THE DEFAULT GENERATION METHOD"
   => The default is still to generate data client-side.

I do not see a "documentation" section, whereas there has been significant
doc changes, such as function table layouts (Tom), glossary (Corey,
Jürgen, Roger, Alvarro), binary/text string functions (Karl) and possibly
others. Having a good documentation contributes to making postgres a very
good tool, improving it is is not very glamorous, ISTM that such
contributions should not be overlooked.

--
Fabien.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Pavel Stehule
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
Hi

út 5. 5. 2020 v 5:16 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> napsal:
I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
see them here:

        https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html

It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
build should happen in a few hours.

There is not note about new polymorphic type "anycompatible"

 

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Julien Rouhaud
Hi,

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Pavel Stehule <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi
>
> út 5. 5. 2020 v 5:16 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> napsal:
>>
>> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
>> see them here:
>>
>>         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>>
>> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
>> build should happen in a few hours.
>
>
> There is not note about new polymorphic type "anycompatible"
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=24e2885ee304cb6a94fdfc25a1a108344ed9f4f7

There's also no note about avoiding full GIN index scan
(https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=4b754d6c16e16cc1a1adf12ab0f48603069a0efd).
That's a corner case optimization but it can be a huge improvement
when you hit the problem.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Juan José Santamaría Flecha
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:16 AM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
see them here:

        https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html

It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
build should happen in a few hours.
 
There is one entry "Add support for collation versions on Windows" where I am quoted as author. Actually, I was a reviewer, the author is Thomas Munro.

Also, I am credited as sole author of "Allow to_date/to_timestamp to recognize non-English month/day names", when the case is that Tom Lane did more than a few cosmetics changes when committing and I think he should be quoted as co-author (if he agrees).

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
On Mon, May  4, 2020 at 11:16:00PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> see them here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> build should happen in a few hours.

I wanted to point out there are 180 changes listed in the release notes,
which very closely matches the count of previous major releases.  I
don't think there are as many major _features_ in this release as
previous ones.

Also, I see little to no progress on these features in PG 13:

*  online checksum changes
*  zheap
*  sharding

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

John Naylor-2
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
Hi Bruce, thanks for working on this again!

+<para>
+Allow UTF-8 escapes, e.g., E'\u####', in clients that don't use UTF-8
encoding (Tom Lane)
+</para>

I believe the term we want here is "Unicode escapes". This patch is
about the server encoding, which formerly needed to be utf-8 for
non-ascii characters. (I think the client encoding doesn't matter as
long as ascii bytes are represented.)

+<para>
+The UTF-8 characters must be available in the server encoding.
+</para>

Same here, s/UTF-8/Unicode/.

--
John Naylor                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Fabien COELHO-3
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 07:43:09AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:

>
> Hello Bruce,
>
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> > see them here:
> >
> > https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
> >
> > It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> > build should happen in a few hours.
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> * Add CREATE DATABASE LOCALE option (Fabien COELHO)
> * Add function gen_random_uuid to generate version 4 UUIDs (Fabien COELHO)
>
> I'm not responsible for these, I just reviewed them. ISTM that the author
> for both is the committer, Peter Eisentraut.
>
> Maybe there is something amiss in the commit-log-to-release-notes script?
> My name clearly appears after "reviewed by:?"

Sorry, those were all my mistaken reading of the commit message.

>
> * "DOCUMENT THE DEFAULT GENERATION METHOD"
>   => The default is still to generate data client-side.

My point is that the docs are not clear about this.  Can you fix it?

> I do not see a "documentation" section, whereas there has been significant
> doc changes, such as function table layouts (Tom), glossary (Corey, Jürgen,

I did list the glossary.

> Roger, Alvarro), binary/text string functions (Karl) and possibly others.

I wasn't sure documentation _layout_ changes should be listed.

> Having a good documentation contributes to making postgres a very good tool,
> improving it is is not very glamorous, ISTM that such contributions should
> not be overlooked.

Yes, I would be good to know from others if that kind of stuff should
be included.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Thomas Munro-5
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 04:14:42PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:16 PM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> > see them here:
> >
> >         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
> >
> > It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> > build should happen in a few hours.
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks!  Some feedback:
>
> +2020-04-08 [3985b600f] Support PrefetchBuffer() in recovery.
> +-->
> +
> +<para>
> +Speedup recovery by prefetching pages (Thomas Munro)
>
> Unfortunately that commit was just an infrastructural change to allow
> the PrefetchBuffer() function to work in recovery, but the main
> "prefetching during recovery" patch to actually make use of it to go
> faster didn't make it.  So this item shouldn't be in the release
> notes.

Agreed, removed.

> +2020-04-07 [4c04be9b0] Introduce xid8-based functions to replace txid_XXX.
> +-->
> +
> +<para>
> +Update all transaction id functions to support xid8 (Thomas Munro)
> +</para>
> +
> +<para>
> +They use the same names as the xid data type versions.
> +</para>
>
> The names are actually different.  How about: "New xid8-based
> functions replace the txid family of functions, but the older names
> are still supported for backward compatibility."

Agreed.

> +2019-10-16 [d5ac14f9c] Use libc version as a collation version on glibc systems
> +-->
> +
> +<para>
> +Use the glibc version as the collation version (Thomas Munro)
> +</para>
> +
> +<para>
> +If the glibc version changes, a warning will be issued when a
> mismatching collation is used.
> +</para>
>
> I would add a qualifier "in some cases", since it doesn't work for
> default collations yet.  (That'll now have to wait for 14).

Done.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Pavel Stehule
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 07:46:34AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Hi
>
> út 5. 5. 2020 v 5:16 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> napsal:
>
>     I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
>     see them here:
>
>             https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
>     It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
>     build should happen in a few hours.
>
>
> There is not note about new polymorphic type "anycompatible"
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=
> 24e2885ee304cb6a94fdfc25a1a108344ed9f4f7

Sorry I missed that.  Must have thought it was non-visible work that was
part of another features.  Here is the new text:

        Add polymorphic data types for use by functions requiring
        compatible arguments (Pavel Stehule)

        The new data types are anycompatible, anycompatiblearray,
        anycompatiblenonarray, and anycompatiblerange.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Pavel Stehule


út 5. 5. 2020 v 16:18 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> napsal:
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 07:46:34AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> út 5. 5. 2020 v 5:16 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> napsal:
>
>     I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
>     see them here:
>
>             https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
>     It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
>     build should happen in a few hours.
>
>
> There is not note about new polymorphic type "anycompatible"
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=
> 24e2885ee304cb6a94fdfc25a1a108344ed9f4f7

Sorry I missed that.  Must have thought it was non-visible work that was
part of another features.  Here is the new text:

        Add polymorphic data types for use by functions requiring
        compatible arguments (Pavel Stehule)

        The new data types are anycompatible, anycompatiblearray,
        anycompatiblenonarray, and anycompatiblerange.

no problem, thank you

Pavel


--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Julien Rouhaud
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 08:10:54AM +0200, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Pavel Stehule <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > út 5. 5. 2020 v 5:16 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> napsal:
> >>
> >> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
> >> see them here:
> >>
> >>         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
> >>
> >> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
> >> build should happen in a few hours.
> >
> >
> > There is not note about new polymorphic type "anycompatible"
> >
> > https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=24e2885ee304cb6a94fdfc25a1a108344ed9f4f7
>
> There's also no note about avoiding full GIN index scan
> (https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=4b754d6c16e16cc1a1adf12ab0f48603069a0efd).
> That's a corner case optimization but it can be a huge improvement
> when you hit the problem.

OK, I have added this item:

        Allow GIN indexes to more efficiently handle NOT restrictions (Nikita
        Glukhov, Alexander Korotkov, Tom Lane, Julien Rouhaud)

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Juan José Santamaría Flecha
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 10:07:35AM +0200, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:

>
> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:16 AM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes.  You can
>     see them here:
>
>             https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
>     It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting.  The community doc
>     build should happen in a few hours.
>
>  
> There is one entry "Add support for collation versions on Windows" where I am
> quoted as author. Actually, I was a reviewer, the author is Thomas Munro.

Oops, my mistake, fixed.

>
> Also, I am credited as sole author of "Allow to_date/to_timestamp to recognize
> non-English month/day names", when the case is that Tom Lane did more than a
> few cosmetics changes when committing and I think he should be quoted as
> co-author (if he agrees).

OK, updated.  The text was:

            Juan José Santamaría Flecha, reviewed and modified by me,

and with reviewed first, and the generic term modified, I had assumed
you would the the only one listed.  Fixed.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by John Naylor-2
On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 09:20:39PM +0800, John Naylor wrote:

> Hi Bruce, thanks for working on this again!
>
> +<para>
> +Allow UTF-8 escapes, e.g., E'\u####', in clients that don't use UTF-8
> encoding (Tom Lane)
> +</para>
>
> I believe the term we want here is "Unicode escapes". This patch is
> about the server encoding, which formerly needed to be utf-8 for
> non-ascii characters. (I think the client encoding doesn't matter as
> long as ascii bytes are represented.)
>
> +<para>
> +The UTF-8 characters must be available in the server encoding.
> +</para>
>
> Same here, s/UTF-8/Unicode/.

OK, new text is:

        Allow Unicode escapes, e.g., E'\u####', in clients that don't use UTF-8
        encoding (Tom Lane)
       
        The Unicode characters must be available in the server encoding.

I kept the "UTF-8 encoding" since that is the only Unicode encoding we
support.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Alvaro Herrera-9
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
On 2020-May-05, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 07:43:09AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > I do not see a "documentation" section, whereas there has been significant
> > doc changes, such as function table layouts (Tom), glossary (Corey, Jürgen,
>
> I did list the glossary.

Please do list Jürgen, Corey and Roger as authors of the glossary.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Alvaro Herrera-9
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
In this item

+<listitem>
+<!--
+Author: Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]>
+2020-04-20 [5fc703946] Add ALTER .. NO DEPENDS ON
+-->
+
+<para>
+Add the ability to remove a function's dependency on an extension (Alvaro Herrera)
+</para>
+
+<para>
+The syntax is ALTER FUNCTION .. NO DEPENDS ON.
+</para>
+
+</listitem>

This works for several object types, not just a functions.  I propose

  Add the ability to remove an object's dependency on an extension (Álvaro Herrera)

  The object can be a function, materialized view, index, or trigger.
  The syntax is ALTER .. NO DEPENDS ON.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

Alvaro Herrera-9
In reply to this post by Alvaro Herrera-9
On 2020-May-05, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On 2020-May-05, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May  5, 2020 at 07:43:09AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>
> > > I do not see a "documentation" section, whereas there has been significant
> > > doc changes, such as function table layouts (Tom), glossary (Corey, Jürgen,
> >
> > I did list the glossary.
>
> Please do list Jürgen, Corey and Roger as authors of the glossary.

(Actually I should be listed as well, as the time I spent on it was
considerable.)

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


1234 ... 9