PGDN source browser

PGDN source browser

Gevik babakhani

Dear  all,

The PostgreSQL Developer Network’s Source Browser (beta1) is ready.

If you got the time to check it for a moment, please do not hesitate to send your opinion.

Regards,

Gevik

PGDN can be found at http://www.truesoftware.net/pgdn/

Re: PGDN source browser

Tom Flavel
On 04/06/2005 22:59:19, Gevik babakhani wrote:
> Dear  all,
> The PostgreSQL Developer Network's Source Browser (beta1) is ready.
> If you got the time to check it for a moment, please do not hesitate to send

Firstly, good that you're asking for comments (I assume as an attempt to
work with people), but starting an entirley seperatre "developer network"
seems rather like reinventing the wheel. Why not invest your time in
extending the existing rersources, rather than starting from scratch?

Other than saving me from downloading the source (which I keep around
anyway, mostly for ease of grepping for things the documentation cant be
expected to cover), I see no advantage to using this in it's current
form.

To me, the point of a source browsing system is that it provides
information which a directory structure can't provide. Off the top of my
head:

* CVS head. Without this, it's always going to be irrelevant to
  developers who commit to postgresql itself.
* CVS history. If you're targeting this at developers, I'd think this is
  important.
* Referencing between function calls and definitions (with ctags,
  perhaps. Doxygen-style browsers do this.) To me, this is the single
  only advantage of presenting source code in HTML: ease of navigation
  by hyperlinks. Apart from that, web pages are pretty inconvenient (to
  me, at least).
* Is a tree really appropiate? To compare two files (which is something
  I might want to use this for), that'd require a lot of scrolling to
  see where I am in the structure.
* diff.

Meanwhile, some aesthetic things which spring to mind:

The syntax hilighting is confusing for non-.c files; quite a few are
parsed incorrectly around comments, and hilighting applied to strange
things in plain-text files.

There is extreneous whitespace in the <pre> at the top by the line
numbers' gutters. There's a off-by-one error in your loop to pad out the
numbers: an extra space appears every power of 10.

The "number of views" is irrelevant, as is the "...Source Browser" title
on each page, which is unneccessary.

Hope that helps,

Tom

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
      subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: PGDN source browser

Havasvölgyi Ottó
In reply to this post by Gevik babakhani
Gevik,

I like your idea. I have already checked it out. Its treeview is really like MSDN's.
Some comments, ideas:
 - it would be better if the treeview was ordered by name
 - the current item in the treeview could be highlighted
 - the gutter should have a constant width
 - it would be pleasent if there were links to functions  in a given C file. I know this is not that simple, though. It would be good for people not yet familiar with the code

These come to my mind after some minutes of browsing fe-connect.c.
I would visit this site often.

Cheers,
Otto

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 10:59 PM
Subject: [HACKERS] PGDN source browser

Dear  all,

The PostgreSQL Developer Network’s Source Browser (beta1) is ready.

Regards,

Gevik

PGDN can be found at http://www.truesoftware.net/pgdn/

Re: PGDN source browser

Jonah H. Harris
In reply to this post by Tom Flavel
Gevik,

You still didn't answer my question as to why you're reinventing the
wheel.  Why not just work on updating techdocs instead?

-Jonah

Tom Flavel wrote:

>On 04/06/2005 22:59:19, Gevik babakhani wrote:
>>Dear  all,
>>The PostgreSQL Developer Network's Source Browser (beta1) is ready.
>>If you got the time to check it for a moment, please do not hesitate to send
>Firstly, good that you're asking for comments (I assume as an attempt to
>work with people), but starting an entirley seperatre "developer network"
>seems rather like reinventing the wheel. Why not invest your time in
>extending the existing rersources, rather than starting from scratch?
>Other than saving me from downloading the source (which I keep around
>anyway, mostly for ease of grepping for things the documentation cant be
>expected to cover), I see no advantage to using this in it's current
>form.
>To me, the point of a source browsing system is that it provides
>information which a directory structure can't provide. Off the top of my
>head:
>* CVS head. Without this, it's always going to be irrelevant to
>  developers who commit to postgresql itself.
>* CVS history. If you're targeting this at developers, I'd think this is
>  important.
>* Referencing between function calls and definitions (with ctags,
>  perhaps. Doxygen-style browsers do this.) To me, this is the single
>  only advantage of presenting source code in HTML: ease of navigation
>  by hyperlinks. Apart from that, web pages are pretty inconvenient (to
>  me, at least).
>* Is a tree really appropiate? To compare two files (which is something
>  I might want to use this for), that'd require a lot of scrolling to
>  see where I am in the structure.
>* diff.
>Meanwhile, some aesthetic things which spring to mind:
>The syntax hilighting is confusing for non-.c files; quite a few are
>parsed incorrectly around comments, and hilighting applied to strange
>things in plain-text files.
>There is extreneous whitespace in the <pre> at the top by the line
>numbers' gutters. There's a off-by-one error in your loop to pad out the
>numbers: an extra space appears every power of 10.
>The "number of views" is irrelevant, as is the "...Source Browser" title
>on each page, which is unneccessary.
>Hope that helps,

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
      subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: PGDN source browser

Gevik babakhani
Regarding to update the techdocs and not reinveting the wheel, I am having a
mailng with Robert Treat of (webmaster pg) in order to see what can be
done.. any help is welcome... :)

Regards,
Gevik.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonah H. Harris [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 4:50 PM
To: Tom Flavel
Cc: Gevik babakhani; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PGDN source browser

Gevik,

You still didn't answer my question as to why you're reinventing the
wheel.  Why not just work on updating techdocs instead?

-Jonah

Tom Flavel wrote:

>On 04/06/2005 22:59:19, Gevik babakhani wrote:
>>Dear  all,
>>The PostgreSQL Developer Network's Source Browser (beta1) is ready.
>>If you got the time to check it for a moment, please do not hesitate to

>Firstly, good that you're asking for comments (I assume as an attempt to
>work with people), but starting an entirley seperatre "developer network"
>seems rather like reinventing the wheel. Why not invest your time in
>extending the existing rersources, rather than starting from scratch?
>Other than saving me from downloading the source (which I keep around
>anyway, mostly for ease of grepping for things the documentation cant be
>expected to cover), I see no advantage to using this in it's current
>form.
>To me, the point of a source browsing system is that it provides
>information which a directory structure can't provide. Off the top of my
>head:
>* CVS head. Without this, it's always going to be irrelevant to
>  developers who commit to postgresql itself.
>* CVS history. If you're targeting this at developers, I'd think this is
>  important.
>* Referencing between function calls and definitions (with ctags,
>  perhaps. Doxygen-style browsers do this.) To me, this is the single
>  only advantage of presenting source code in HTML: ease of navigation
>  by hyperlinks. Apart from that, web pages are pretty inconvenient (to
>  me, at least).
>* Is a tree really appropiate? To compare two files (which is something
>  I might want to use this for), that'd require a lot of scrolling to
>  see where I am in the structure.
>* diff.
>Meanwhile, some aesthetic things which spring to mind:
>The syntax hilighting is confusing for non-.c files; quite a few are
>parsed incorrectly around comments, and hilighting applied to strange
>things in plain-text files.
>There is extreneous whitespace in the <pre> at the top by the line
>numbers' gutters. There's a off-by-one error in your loop to pad out the
>numbers: an extra space appears every power of 10.
>The "number of views" is irrelevant, as is the "...Source Browser" title
>on each page, which is unneccessary.
>Hope that helps,

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
      subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: PGDN source browser

Jonah H. Harris
Thanks!

Gevik babakhani wrote:

>Regarding to update the techdocs and not reinveting the wheel, I am having a
>mailng with Robert Treat of (webmaster pg) in order to see what can be
>done.. any help is welcome... :)
>Regards,
>Gevik.
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Jonah H. Harris [mailto:[hidden email]]
>Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 4:50 PM
>To: Tom Flavel
>Cc: Gevik babakhani; [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PGDN source browser
>Gevik,
>You still didn't answer my question as to why you're reinventing the
>wheel.  Why not just work on updating techdocs instead?
>-Jonah
>Tom Flavel wrote:
>>On 04/06/2005 22:59:19, Gevik babakhani wrote:
>>>Dear  all,
>>>
>>>The PostgreSQL Developer Network's Source Browser (beta1) is ready.
>>>
>>>If you got the time to check it for a moment, please do not hesitate to
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>Firstly, good that you're asking for comments (I assume as an attempt to
>>work with people), but starting an entirley seperatre "developer network"
>>seems rather like reinventing the wheel. Why not invest your time in
>>extending the existing rersources, rather than starting from scratch?
>>Other than saving me from downloading the source (which I keep around
>>anyway, mostly for ease of grepping for things the documentation cant be
>>expected to cover), I see no advantage to using this in it's current
>>form.
>>To me, the point of a source browsing system is that it provides
>>information which a directory structure can't provide. Off the top of my
>>head:
>>* CVS head. Without this, it's always going to be irrelevant to
>> developers who commit to postgresql itself.
>>* CVS history. If you're targeting this at developers, I'd think this is
>> important.
>>* Referencing between function calls and definitions (with ctags,
>> perhaps. Doxygen-style browsers do this.) To me, this is the single
>> only advantage of presenting source code in HTML: ease of navigation
>> by hyperlinks. Apart from that, web pages are pretty inconvenient (to
>> me, at least).
>>* Is a tree really appropiate? To compare two files (which is something
>> I might want to use this for), that'd require a lot of scrolling to
>> see where I am in the structure.
>>* diff.
>>Meanwhile, some aesthetic things which spring to mind:
>>The syntax hilighting is confusing for non-.c files; quite a few are
>>parsed incorrectly around comments, and hilighting applied to strange
>>things in plain-text files.
>>There is extreneous whitespace in the <pre> at the top by the line
>>numbers' gutters. There's a off-by-one error in your loop to pad out the
>>numbers: an extra space appears every power of 10.
>>The "number of views" is irrelevant, as is the "...Source Browser" title
>>on each page, which is unneccessary.
>>Hope that helps,

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
      subscribe-nomail command to [hidden email] so that your
      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: PGDN source browser

Tino Wildenhain
In reply to this post by Gevik babakhani
Am Samstag, den 04.06.2005, 22:59 +0200 schrieb Gevik babakhani:
> Dear  all,
> The PostgreSQL Developer Network’s Source Browser (beta1) is ready.
> If you got the time to check it for a moment, please do not hesitate
> to send your opinion.

Hm. wouldn't an install of trac/postgres
(http://trac.edgewall.com ) do much better w/ regard
to syntax highliting, diff, ...

Still someone would have to adapt the templates to
the postgres.org design.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?