PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights

Amit Langote-2
On 2019/05/17 3:26, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I think the more specific we make the partition description, the more
> limited it will appear to be.  I think almost all partition operations
> will appear to be faster with PG 12, even if users can't articulate
> exactly why.

I agree that the current description captures at a high level the many
changes that made it possible.  Although, a couple of commits listed with
this item don't have much to do with that description, AFAICT.  Especially
959d00e9d [1], which taught the planner to leverage the ordering imposed
on partitions by range partitioning.  With that commit, getting ordered
output from partitioned tables is now much quicker, especially with a
LIMIT clause.  You can tell that it sounds clearly unrelated to the
description we have now, which is "processing thousands of partitions is
quicker when only small numbers of partitions are touched".  Some users of
partitioning may not be interested in the use case described as vastly
improved, but they may be delighted to hear about items such as the
aforementioned commit.  Also, I suspect that the users whose use cases
pushed them to use partitioning in the first place may also be the ones
who do some of their own research about partitioning and eventually know
many optimizations that are possible with it.  So, it's perhaps a good
idea to let them know about such optimizations through release notes if
it's the only place to put them, which I believe is the case with this
particular item.  There are not that many commits to be taken out of the
existing item and described separately, just this one I think.

That said, my intention is only to point out that the commit is being
mixed with an unrelated item.  Whether or not to list it as a separate
item, I can only give my vote in its favor.

Thanks,
Amit

[1] [959d00e9d] Use Append rather than MergeAppend for scanning ordered

Evan Macbeth
In reply to this post by Peter Geoghegan-4
Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

80% - 90% of the items listed in the release notes aren't interesting
to users, but *which* 80% - 90% it is varies. The release notes don't
have to function as a press release, because we'll have an actual
press release instead.
Peter Geoghegan

I think Peter's point here is really important. I read the release notes and the press releases, both, from a very different perspective than others, but I find both very valuable. The release notes benefit from completeness and detail, in my observer's opinion.

Back to my cave.

Evan

Evan Macbeth - Director of Support - Crunchy Data
+1 443-421-0343 - [hidden email]

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Alvaro Herrera-9
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:34:13PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On 2019-May-16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The release notes are written for the _average_ reader.
> I disagree with this assertion, and frankly I cannot understand why you
> think that's the most useful thing to do.  The release notes are not a
> press release, where you have to make things pretty or understandable to
> everyone.  Users can skip items they don't understand or don't care
> about; but would at least be given the option.  If we don't document,
> we're making the decision for them that they must not care.

The press release is not an exhaustive list of all features, so we can't
just fall back on the press release as a way for non-internals readers
to understand all the features in this release.

Frankly, when I am reading a document, if I hit a few items I don't
understand, I stop reading.  This is why I tend to write in a
generally-accessible level of detail.  You can see this in all my
writings, e.g., blogs.  I don't know how to write differently without
feeling I am being inconsiderate to the reader.

Also, when I say I write for the average reader, I write for the average
person who is likely to read the document, not for the average person in
general.

I suggest you look at how Tom Lane writes the minor release notes for an
example that is better or worse than my style.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Michael Paquier-2
On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:50:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:21:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think we expect people to read them fully because how would they know
> > what changed and what new features were added.  I do think allowing more
> > detail by showing the commit messages would be helpful for people who
> > want to drill down on an item.
> This point is interesting.  The release notes include in the sgml
> sources references to the related commits.  Could it make sense to
> have links to the main commits of a feature which can be clicked on
> directly from the html docs or such?  I understand that producing the
> notes is a daunting task already, and Bruce does an awesome job.  Just
> wondering if we could make that automated in some way if that helps
> with the user experience...  Anyway, this is unrelated to the topic of
> this thread.  My apologies for the digression.

Yes, I am sure it can be done.  The commits are always in a the same
style as output by src/tools/git_changelog, and always to the far left.
This has been discussed before, but no one felt it was urgent enough.

The good news is that once we do this, all release notes, even the
previous ones, will have this feature.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Evan Macbeth
On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 08:14:33AM -0400, Evan Macbeth wrote:

> Long time lurker, first time poster. :)
>     80% - 90% of the items listed in the release notes aren't interesting
>     to users, but *which* 80% - 90% it is varies. The release notes don't
>     have to function as a press release, because we'll have an actual
>     press release instead.
>     --
>     Peter Geoghegan
> I think Peter's point here is really important. I read the release notes and
> find both very valuable. The release notes benefit from completeness and
> detail, in my observer's opinion.

As I just stated, if the press release was exhaustive, we could have the
release notes be more detailed, but this is not the case.  I don't think
we want to get into a case where the items listed on the preess release
get a different level of detail from the items not listed.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Jonathan S. Katz-3
In reply to this post by Amit Langote-2
On 5/14/19 10:31 PM, Amit Langote wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
> Thanks for the updated draft.
> On 2019/05/15 11:03, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Without further ado:
>> # Feature Highlights
>> 1. Indexing
>> - Improvements overall performance to standard (B-tree) indexes with
>> writes as well as with bloat
>> - REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
>> - GiST indexes now support covering indexes (INCLUDE clause)
>> - SP-GiST indexes now support K-NN queries
>> - WAL overhead reduced on GiST, GIN, & SP-GiST index creation
>> 2. Partitioning Improvements
>> - Improved partition pruning, which improves performance on queries over
>> tables with thousands of partitions that only need to use a few partitions
>> - Improvements to COPY performance and ATTACH PARTITION
>> - Allow foreign keys to reference partitioned tables
> About the 1st item in "Partitioning Improvements", it's not just partition
> pruning that's gotten better.  How about writing as:
>  - Improved performance of processing tables with thousands of partitions
>    for operations that only need to touch a small number of partitions
Thanks, I will use some wording like this:

- Improved performance of processing tables with thousands of partitions
for operations that only need to use a small number of partitions

> Per discussion upthread, that covers improvements to both partition
> pruning and tuple routing.
> Also, could the title "2. Partitioning Improvements" be trimmed down to
> "2. Partitioning", to look like "1. Indexing" for consistency?

These are just my rough notes and do not reflect how it will read in the
PR itself; however I will keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan S. Katz-3
In reply to this post by Bruce Momjian
On 5/17/19 10:19 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 08:14:33AM -0400, Evan Macbeth wrote:
>> Long time lurker, first time poster. :)
>>     80% - 90% of the items listed in the release notes aren't interesting
>>     to users, but *which* 80% - 90% it is varies. The release notes don't
>>     have to function as a press release, because we'll have an actual
>>     press release instead.
>>     --
>>     Peter Geoghegan
>> I think Peter's point here is really important. I read the release notes and
>> the press releases, both, from a very different perspective than others, but I
>> find both very valuable. The release notes benefit from completeness and
>> detail, in my observer's opinion.
> As I just stated, if the press release was exhaustive, we could have the
> release notes be more detailed, but this is not the case.  I don't think
> we want to get into a case where the items listed on the preess release
> get a different level of detail from the items not listed.
To step back, it's important to understand the intended goals of the
press release.

I view the primary goal of the press release for a major version to be a
springboard to further dive into what is in the release. It helps to
give some global context to new features / changes and is an effective
"getting started" point. It needs just enough details for people to be
interested, and if they want more info, they can go to the release notes
+ docs.

The release notes then can provide additional details on what said
features (effectively a readable "diff" between versions) are, and, if
needed, the documentation can provide even greater details.

(The "diff" point is important: multiple times in recent weeks I've had
to refer back to the PG10 notes to highlight how the behavior for set
returning functions changed in the SELECT lists. So having that there
was certainly helpful.)

In my more heavy practitioner days, I needed both to help analyze and
make decisions on say, when to upgrade to a major version, or

Bringing it full circle, I view the primary goal of the Beta 1 press
release to be a springboard to _testing_ the release: we need people to
test to ensure the GA release is as stable as possible. It should be a
bit more exhaustive than the final GA press release - ideally I want
people to think of uses cases they can test the new features in -- but
sure, it should not be too much more exhaustive.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Amit Langote-2
On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 07:56:55PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:

> On 2019/05/17 3:26, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think the more specific we make the partition description, the more
> > limited it will appear to be.  I think almost all partition operations
> > will appear to be faster with PG 12, even if users can't articulate
> > exactly why.
> I agree that the current description captures at a high level the many
> changes that made it possible.  Although, a couple of commits listed with
> this item don't have much to do with that description, AFAICT.  Especially
> 959d00e9d [1], which taught the planner to leverage the ordering imposed
> on partitions by range partitioning.  With that commit, getting ordered
> output from partitioned tables is now much quicker, especially with a
> LIMIT clause.  You can tell that it sounds clearly unrelated to the
> description we have now, which is "processing thousands of partitions is

Yes, it does.  I added this text and moved the commit item:

Avoid sorting when partitions are already being scanned in the
        necessary order (David Rowley)

I certainly strugged to understand the maze of commits related to
partitioning.

> quicker when only small numbers of partitions are touched".  Some users of
> partitioning may not be interested in the use case described as vastly
> improved, but they may be delighted to hear about items such as the
> aforementioned commit.  Also, I suspect that the users whose use cases
> pushed them to use partitioning in the first place may also be the ones
> who do some of their own research about partitioning and eventually know
> many optimizations that are possible with it.  So, it's perhaps a good
> idea to let them know about such optimizations through release notes if
> it's the only place to put them, which I believe is the case with this
> particular item.  There are not that many commits to be taken out of the
> existing item and described separately, just this one I think.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

David Rowley-3
On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 03:36, Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, it does.  I added this text and moved the commit item:
>         Avoid sorting when partitions are already being scanned in the
>         necessary order (David Rowley)

Thank you for moving that out.

> I certainly strugged to understand the maze of commits related to
> partitioning.

With the utmost respect, because I certainly do appreciate the work
you did on the release note, I think if that's the case, then it
should only make you more willing to listen to the advice from the