Postgresql, Cassandra & Data Platform Engineer - Permanent: UK & Remote a Possibility
Ocado Technology is looking to hire a data platform engineer, working
on Postgresql (mainly), Cassandra a few other data technologies. It's
a full-time, salaried position. Location-wise: certainly UK, and
remote is a possibility so if interested do please inquire.
The primary objective of the Data Platform team is to research, design
and maintain automated “Database As A Service” on our Infrastructure
platform. We are designing solutions to enable our development teams
to get resilient, high performance and production ready services to
support their applications, while ensuring that we can scale these
services out to multiple sites around the world in a fully automated
You will be working with relational and NoSQL database technologies on
both private and public cloud infrastructures, with a core focus on
containerisation and Kubernetes. Moving towards an Operations As Code
model, we want you to possess a passion for automation.
You’ll enjoy being part of the team if you like: learning fast
(through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but
able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us);
craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be
What will you be doing?
• Designing and maintaining services that allow the deployment and
management of relational and NoSQL database technologies.
• Providing tools to effectively monitor, manage, alert on and
performance tune Ocado's database estate.
• Establishing and implementing automated processes to ensure that we
can seamlessly update and patch our databases to protect against
vulnerabilities in accordance with Ocado's data security policies.
• Publishing documentation to provide smooth transition of database
services from the build and development phase into production support.
• Providing advice, training and mentoring to development teams on
issues relating to designing and building data solutions for their
• Actively contributing to the process of continual improvement, with
regard to self, team and systems.
• Root cause analysis and fix production issues as we strive to have
no support requirement and want our infrastructure to self-heal
• Supporting production systems as required outside of standard
working hours and participate in 24x7 on-call rota.
What do you need to know?
• Extensive experience deploying and managing databases (Postgresql or
• Exposure to containers and container orchestration systems such as
Docker / K8s
• Experience in Python or Go or other languages
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Passion for open source technologies
• Comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced
• Experience using monitoring and alerting tools (e.g.Prometheus,
Grafana, PagerDuty SNMP)
• Grasp of networking fundamentals
• Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
• Experience/understanding of supporting a 24x7 operation
Pay, Perks, Etc:
If in the UK: flexible work environment (postcode AL10), we can offer
technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes.
Benefits also include a generous pension scheme and discounts on Ocado products.
We also have monthly technology division socials, sports clubs such
as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention
the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses,
conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs
and external guest speakers.
Some blurb about Ocado Technology:
Ocado Technology is the in-house technology division of over 1,200
software developers, engineers, researchers and scientists that uses
the latest in AI, robotics, cloud services, big data, and mobile
technologies. We brainstorm, design, architect, innovate, experiment,
build and maintain the systems that power Ocado.
Notice: This email is confidential and may contain copyright material of
members of the Ocado Group. Opinions and views expressed in this message
may not necessarily reflect the opinions and views of the members of the
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately and delete all copies of this message. Please note that it is
your responsibility to scan this message for viruses.
Fetch and Sizzle
are trading names of Speciality Stores Limited and Fabled is a trading name
of Marie Claire Beauty Limited, both members of the Ocado Group.
References to the “Ocado Group” are to Ocado Group plc (registered in
England and Wales with number 7098618) and its subsidiary undertakings (as
that expression is defined in the Companies Act 2006) from time to time.
The registered office of Ocado Group plc is Buildings One & Two, Trident
Place, Mosquito Way, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9UL.