Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Wayne Mell
Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30 seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to statement timeout" in Access.

Here is the code I've been using to test:

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command

Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
       cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)};Server=postgres.office.server;Port=5432;Database=DBS;UID=postgresuser;PWD=postgrespwd;"
       cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
       cnn.Open

Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0

Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")

There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started running pg_sleep to test.

If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30 second timeout limit.

Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Adrian Klaver-4
On 7/11/19 1:04 PM, Wayne Mell wrote:

> Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No
> matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30
> seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different
> ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to
> statement timeout" in Access.
> Here is the code I've been using to test:
> Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
> Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command
>   Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
>         cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL
> Unicode(x64)};Server=postgres.office.server;Port=5432;Database=DBS;UID=postgresuser;PWD=postgrespwd;"
>         cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
>         cnn.Open
> Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
> cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0
> Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")
> There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work
> as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started
> running pg_sleep to test.
> If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the
> same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they
> take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30
> second timeout limit.
> Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

George Weaver
In reply to this post by Wayne Mell

On 11/07/2019 3:04 p.m., Wayne Mell wrote:

Here is the code I've been using to test:

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command

Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
       cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
       cnn.Open

Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0

I found that the default of 0 meaning no timeout doesn't seem to work.

What happens if you set cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 60 for the sleep test of 50?

George

Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")

Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Cleartag Software, Inc.

In reply to this post by Wayne Mell
On 7/11/19 1:04 PM, Wayne Mell wrote:

> Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No
> matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30
> seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different
> ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to
> statement timeout" in Access.
> Here is the code I've been using to test:
> Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
> Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command
>   Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
>         cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL
>         cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
>         cnn.Open
> Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
> cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0
> Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")
> There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work
> as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started
> running pg_sleep to test.
> If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the
> same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they
> take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30
> second timeout limit.
> Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Realized you are setting CommandTimeout = 0.

Maybe this thread will help?:

Otherwise I would see if someone over on the -odbc list:

could help.

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Wayne Mell
In reply to this post by Adrian Klaver-4

The link you sent had an answer that worked.

I had to edit the psqlodbc35w.dll file and change SET statement_timeout =  %d to SET statement_timeout =  0 .

Somewhere in the thread, Hiroshi Inoue mentioned that a SQL_QUERY_TIMEOUT statement was built into the driver starting with version 9.5 of the driver, but all of my attempts to find documentation on how to use this feature in VBA have failed.

It certainly would be a better way to handle this.  Can anyone point me at some documentation?  I've copied this to the ODBC list as well.

Thanks everyone who replied.

Wayne

From: Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:21 PM
To: Wayne Mell; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

On 7/11/19 1:04 PM, Wayne Mell wrote:
> Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No
> matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30
> seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different
> ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to
> statement timeout" in Access.
> Here is the code I've been using to test:
> Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
> Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command
>   Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
>         cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL
>         cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
>         cnn.Open
> Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
> cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0
> Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")
> There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work
> as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started
> running pg_sleep to test.
> If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the
> same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they
> take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30
> second timeout limit.
> Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Inoue, Hiroshi-2
Hi Wayne,

On 2019/07/13 0:05, Wayne Mell wrote:

The link you sent had an answer that worked.

Thanks everyone who replied.

Wayne

From: Adrian Klaver [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:21 PM
To: Wayne Mell; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

On 7/11/19 1:04 PM, Wayne Mell wrote:
> Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No
> matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30
> seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different
> ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to
> statement timeout" in Access.
> Here is the code I've been using to test:
> Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
> Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command
>   Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
>         cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL
>         cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
>         cnn.Open

> Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
> cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0

ISTM the above 2 lines  are meaningless because the cnnCmd isn't use by the following
cnn.Execute command.

> Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")

Could you Please try

calling cnnCmd.Execute()         after setting cnnCmd.commandText

or

setting cnn.CommandTimeout = 0     before calling cnn.Execute()

?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

> There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work
> as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started
> running pg_sleep to test.
> If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the
> same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they
> take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30
> second timeout limit.
> Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

ウイルス フリー。 www.avg.com

Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Wayne Mell
Hello Hiroshi,

Thank you for your reply.

Your suggestion to try setting cnn.CommandTimeout = 0   before calling cnn.Execute() worked perfectly and was exactly the solution I needed.  Since the cnn connection was what owned the Execute, it was the object that needed the Command Timeout.  That is a much nicer solution than editing the DLL.

I am very grateful for your help.

Wayne

From: Inoue, Hiroshi <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 7:53 PM
To: Wayne Mell
Cc: Adrian Klaver; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

Hi Wayne,

On 2019/07/13 0:05, Wayne Mell wrote:

The link you sent had an answer that worked.

Thanks everyone who replied.

Wayne

From: Adrian Klaver [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:21 PM
To: Wayne Mell; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Postgresql and VBA - Connection Timeout

On 7/11/19 1:04 PM, Wayne Mell wrote:
> Can someone help me with executing a postgres function from VBA?  No
> matter what function I call, it always times out after exactly 30
> seconds.  I've tried to use the statement_timeout a million different
> ways and always get an error that states "Cancelling statement due to
> statement timeout" in Access.
> Here is the code I've been using to test:
> Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
> Dim cnnCmd As ADODB.Command
>   Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
>         cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={PostgreSQL
>         cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
>         cnn.Open

> Set cnnCmd = New ADODB.Command
> cnnCmd.CommandTimeout = 0

cnn.Execute command.

> Set cnnCmd = cnn.Execute("select pg_sleep(50);")

Could you Please try

calling cnnCmd.Execute()         after setting cnnCmd.commandText

or

setting cnn.CommandTimeout = 0     before calling cnn.Execute()

?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

> There are other functions that I've tried to execute, and they all work
> as long as they take less than 30 seconds to run.  I just started
> running pg_sleep to test.
> If I log into pgAdmin with the same user name and password, and on the
> same machine, then the functions will execute no matter how long they
> take.  It's only through VBA and the psqlODBC driver that I have the 30
> second timeout limit.
> Has anyone found a way to make this work?  Thanks.

Adrian Klaver