Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Kitty Yuen

I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have start up the server with -i flag (i.e. postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access the database through SSH and I can connect with it.

Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?

Many thanks,
Kitty3A

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Matthew Terenzio
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag (i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Many thanks,
> Kitty3A

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Thomas Schindler
how do i get off this list?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:35 PM, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?
> On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
>> start up the server with -i flag (i.e. postmaster -D /usr/local/
>> pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still cannot
>> connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access the
>> database through SSH and I can connect with it.
>> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
>> Many thanks,
>> Kitty3A
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Thomas Schindler . Geschäftsführer
hundertelf GmbH . HRB 52839
Philippstraße 6 . 50823 Köln
fon +49 (0)221 - 5897566
cel +49 (0)162 - 9034568
fax +49 (0)221 - 35569618
www.hundertelf.com

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
       match

Thomas Schindler.vcf (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Valentín Orfila
In reply to this post by Matthew Terenzio
Hi!!! I'm Venezuelan and I don't know how to speak english very well, so excuse me if i make a mistake.

About the connection: Did you do your script by yourself?, or copied a functional one?

As Thomas Schindler said, send us any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

Here is my connection script, it is completly good check it out to see if you have anything wrong

<?  /*---------------*/
    $servidor = "localhost";
     $base = "databasename"; //change it
     $usuario = "postgresuser"; //change it
     $password = "postgresuser"; //change it

pg_pconnect("host=$servidor dbname=$base user=$usuario password=$password");

?>

That's all what I can do for now

2007/3/12, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]>:
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag ( i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Manythanks,
> Kitty3A

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

***************************************************************************
Ministerio de Planificación y Desarrollo de la República Bolivariana de Venezuela
Dirección de Planes de Personal

$base = "databasename"; //change it
     $usuario = "postgresuser"; //change it
     $password = "postgresuserpassword"; //change it

pg_pconnect("host=$servidor dbname=$base user=$usuario password=$password");

?>

2007/3/12, Valentín Orfila <[hidden email]>:

As Thomas Schindler said, send us any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

<?  /*---------------*/
    $servidor = "localhost";
     $base = "databasename"; //change it
     $usuario = "postgresuser"; //change it
     $password = "postgresuser"; //change it

pg_pconnect("host=$servidor dbname=$base user=$usuario password=$password");

?>

That's all what I can do for now

2007/3/12, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]>:
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag ( i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Manythanks,

Messenger: [hidden email]

Skype: valentinorfila

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

chris smith-9
In reply to this post by Thomas Schindler
Thomas Schindler wrote:
> how do i get off this list?

Find where you subscribed and choose the unsubscribe option?

Click the unsubscribe link that appears randomly in the footers?

Or even follow the links in the email headers included with every email.

List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[hidden email]?body=unsub%20pgsql-php>

Postgresql & php tutorials

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Kitty Yuen
In reply to this post by Matthew Terenzio
Here are my error messages from PHP:

[Mon Mar 12 16:01:26 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:   pg_connect() [<a href='function.pg-connect'>function.pg-connect</a>]: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Permission denied\n\tIs the server running locally and accepting\n\tconnections on Unix domain socket &quot;/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432&quot;? in /var/www/html/try.php on line 3

[Mon Mar 12 16:01:26 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:   pg_last_error() [<a href='function.pg-last-error'>function.pg-last-error</a>]: No PostgreSQL link opened yet in /var/www/html/try.php on line 4

PHP Code:

<?php

// Connecting, selecting database

$dbconn = pg_connect("dbname=test user=postgres")

or die('Could not connect: ' . pg_last_error());

# comma-separated list of addresses;

# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all

port = 5432

max_connections = 100

# note: increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per

# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).  You

# might also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.

superuser_reserved_connections = 2

unix_socket_directory = ''

unix_socket_group = ''

unix_socket_permissions = 0777              # octal

bonjour_name = ''                     # defaults to the computer name

Thanks a lot,
Kitty3A

On 3/12/07, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag (i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Manythanks,
> Kitty3A

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Kitty Yuen
Dear Valentín,

I think I have already enabled the extension and found the extension in my pgsql.ini file in php.d folder. However, I still cannot connect to the database. I guess I have something to be config in the PostgreSQL. Do you have any ideas?

Kitty3a

On 3/13/07, Valentín Orfila <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK. Now you have to activate the library to connect PHP to PostgreSQL, this is in the php.ini file. In Windows 2000 it is in the following folders: C:\WINNT and in the PHP installation folder, in my case: C:\AppServ\php. Once you find this file you have to discomment this extension: extension=php_pgsql.dll, to do that you are going to erase the ";" at the beggining of the line.

Look for this file (php.ini) in your O.S. and configured it. If you are using Linux I guess it is in the etc/profile/php.config directory, but I0m not sure.

I'm attaching you my file:

2007/3/12, Kitty Yuen <[hidden email]>:
Here are my error messages from PHP:

[Mon Mar 12 16:01:26 2007] [error] [client <a href="http://127.0.0.1" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:   pg_connect() [<a href='function.pg-connect'>function.pg-connect</a>]: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Permission denied\n\tIs the server running locally and accepting\n\tconnections on Unix domain socket &quot;/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432&quot;? in /var/www/html/try.php on line 3

[Mon Mar 12 16:01:26 2007] [error] [client <a href="http://127.0.0.1" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:   pg_last_error() [<a href='function.pg-last-error'>function.pg-last-error</a>]: No PostgreSQL link opened yet in /var/www/html/try.php on line 4

PHP Code:

<?php

// Connecting, selecting database

$dbconn = pg_connect("dbname=test user=postgres")

or die('Could not connect: ' . pg_last_error());

pg_close($dbconn);

pg_hba.cof

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER         CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

# "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only

local   all         all                                trust

# IPv4 local connections:

host    all         all          <a href="http://127.0.0.1/32" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">127.0.0.1/32          trust

# IPv6 local connections:

host    all         all          ::1/128               trust

postgresql.conf

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Connection Settings -

listen_addresses = 'localhost'             # what IP address(es) to listen on;

# comma-separated list of addresses;

# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all

port = 5432

max_connections = 100

# note: increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per

# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).  You

# might also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.

superuser_reserved_connections = 2

unix_socket_directory = ''

unix_socket_group = ''

unix_socket_permissions = 0777              # octal

bonjour_name = ''                     # defaults to the computer name

Thanks a lot,
Kitty3A

On 3/12/07, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag (i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Manythanks,
> Kitty3A

Dirección de Planes de Personal

José Valentín Orfila Briceño
Programador II

Teléfonos: Celular: (0416) 4131418

E-mail: [hidden email]

Messenger: [hidden email]

Skype: valentinorfila

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Valentín Orfila
I already told you all I thought, but...

Below is the local config in my pg_hba and i just see you have one line more than me, do you use Unix? if not, so erase that line and try again

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

I'm attaching you my file:

2007/3/12, Kitty Yuen <[hidden email]>:
Here are my error messages from PHP:

PHP Code:

<?php

// Connecting, selecting database

$dbconn = pg_connect("dbname=test user=postgres")

or die('Could not connect: ' . pg_last_error());

# comma-separated list of addresses;

# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all

port = 5432

max_connections = 100

# note: increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per

# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).  You

# might also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.

superuser_reserved_connections = 2

unix_socket_directory = ''

unix_socket_group = ''

unix_socket_permissions = 0777              # octal

bonjour_name = ''                     # defaults to the computer name

Thanks a lot,
Kitty3A

On 3/12/07, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag (i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Manythanks,

Messenger: [hidden email]

Skype: valentinorfila

Re: Problems in connecting to postgreSQL using PHP

Valentín Orfila
In reply to this post by Valentín Orfila
Kitty,

Try try using this function: pg_pconnect("host=$servidor dbname=$base user=$usuario password=$password");, I mean, use the connection script I'm going to paste below.

<?  /*---------------*/

$base = "databasename"; //change it
     $usuario = "postgresuser"; //change it
     $password = "postgresuserpassword"; //change it

pg_pconnect("host=$servidor dbname=$base user=$usuario password=$password");

?>

2007/3/12, Valentín Orfila <[hidden email]>:

As Thomas Schindler said, send us any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

<?  /*---------------*/
    $servidor = "localhost";
     $base = "databasename"; //change it
     $usuario = "postgresuser"; //change it
     $password = "postgresuser"; //change it

pg_pconnect("host=$servidor dbname=$base user=$usuario password=$password");

?>

That's all what I can do for now

2007/3/12, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]>:
Could you provide any PHP errors or the pg_hba.conf ?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Kitty Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to connect my postgreSQL with PHP in localhost. I have
> start up the server with -i flag ( i.e. postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i &) and edit the pg_hba.conf. However, I still
> cannot connect with the database. But, when I tried to remote access
> the database through SSH and I can connect with it.
> Would you please offer any suggestions or solutions?
> Manythanks,