Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

SAMMY CRISWELL

Good morning,

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

The database is still running and working I just can’t use any of the client commands like psql, pg_dump….

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

rammohan ganapavarapu
Are you using -h localhost to connect? you can do lsof -p {pg pid} to see where is Unix socket directory pointing to, also check postgresql.conf file to check if Unix socket location is non default value.

On Thu, May 2, 2019, 8:50 AM SAMMY CRISWELL <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning,

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Pierre Ochsenbein-2
Hi Rammohan

Please check the error in postgresql log file.

Le jeu. 2 mai 2019 à 18:01, rammohan ganapavarapu <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Thu, May 2, 2019, 8:50 AM SAMMY CRISWELL <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning,

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Cordialement,

Pierre Ochsenbein
Mobile: +33668295394

RE: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

ALEXANDER JOSE
In reply to this post by SAMMY CRISWELL
Hi, Check if in the environment variables you have defined the route
export PGPORT = 5432
  export PGHOST = / var / run / postgresql / .s.PGSQL.5432.

Let me know if you can solve it.
Alexander Angel
DBA Postgresql

De: SAMMY CRISWELL <[hidden email]>
Enviado: jueves, 2 de mayo de 2019 3:50 p.m.
Para: pgsql-admin
Asunto: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Good morning,

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

In reply to this post by SAMMY CRISWELL
SAMMY CRISWELL <[hidden email]> writes:
> I am preparing to upgrade my pqsl server from 9.3.5 to 9.6.12. I have installed the 9.6 rpm onto the server that has 9.3.5 running. Postgres is still running 9.3.5 on that server, but when I try to run psql I get the following message.

> "psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?"
> The database is still running and working I just can't use any of the client commands like psql, pg_dump....
> And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

What you've probably run into here is that some packagers build Postgres
to put the server's socket file into /tmp, while others build it to put
the socket into /var/run/postgresql/ or some similar path.  Likely,
you are now using a new version of libpq.so that expects the latter
while your server is still doing the former.  You can override libpq's
default with "-h /tmp" or equivalent in order to connect.

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

robert@redo2oo.ch
In reply to this post by SAMMY CRISWELL

when you install PostgreSQL the installation copies all its binaries to their respective places and tries to start the server  afterwards.

This of course fails as the needed ports are already used by the running old PostgreSQL server.

So you end up with a mixture of new and old.

No idea whether it will be enough to stop the running PostgreSQL and the just restart the PostgreSQL service ..

robert

On 02.05.19 17:50, SAMMY CRISWELL wrote:

Good morning,

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Robert Rottermann CEO

031 333 10 20
[hidden email]
<a href="http://maps.apple.com/?q=Sickingerstrasse 3,3014 Bern" style="color:#3388cc;text-decoration:none"> Sickingerstrasse 3, 3014 Bern

Ihr Partner wenn es um ERP Lösungen geht.

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Ron-2
He could edit the 9.6/data/postgresql.conf file and have it use a different port, no?

On 5/2/19 1:34 PM, robert wrote:

So you end up with a mixture of new and old.

robert

On 02.05.19 17:50, SAMMY CRISWELL wrote:

Good morning,

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting

connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Robert Rottermann CEO

031 333 10 20
[hidden email]
<a href="http://maps.apple.com/?q=Sickingerstrasse 3,3014 Bern" style="color:#3388cc;text-decoration:none" moz-do-not-send="true"> Sickingerstrasse 3, 3014 Bern

Ihr Partner wenn es um ERP Lösungen geht.

Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.