Query performance issue

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Query performance issue

Nagaraj Raj
I have a query which will more often run on DB and very slow and it is doing 'seqscan'. I was trying to optimize it by adding indexes in different ways but nothing helps.

Any suggestions?


Query:

EXPALIN ANALYZE select serial_no,receivingplant,sku,r3_eventtime 
from (select serial_no,receivingplant,sku,eventtime as r3_eventtime, row_number() over (partition by serial_no order by eventtime desc) as mpos 
from receiving_item_delivered_received 
where eventtype='LineItemdetailsReceived'
and replenishmenttype = 'DC2SWARRANTY'
and coalesce(serial_no,'') <> ''
) Rec where mpos = 1;


Query Planner: 

"Subquery Scan on rec  (cost=70835.30..82275.49 rows=1760 width=39) (actual time=2322.999..3451.783 rows=333451 loops=1)"
"  Filter: (rec.mpos = 1)"
"  Rows Removed by Filter: 19900"
"  ->  WindowAgg  (cost=70835.30..77875.42 rows=352006 width=47) (actual time=2322.997..3414.384 rows=353351 loops=1)"
"        ->  Sort  (cost=70835.30..71715.31 rows=352006 width=39) (actual time=2322.983..3190.090 rows=353351 loops=1)"
"              Sort Key: receiving_item_delivered_received.serial_no, receiving_item_delivered_received.eventtime DESC"
"              Sort Method: external merge  Disk: 17424kB"
"              ->  Seq Scan on receiving_item_delivered_received  (cost=0.00..28777.82 rows=352006 width=39) (actual time=0.011..184.677 rows=353351 loops=1)"
"                    Filter: (((COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying))::text <> ''::text) AND ((eventtype)::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text) AND ((replenishmenttype)::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text))"
"                    Rows Removed by Filter: 55953"
"Planning Time: 0.197 ms"
"Execution Time: 3466.985 ms"

Table DDL: 

CREATE TABLE receiving_item_delivered_received
(
    load_dttm timestamp with time zone,
    iamuniqueid character varying(200)  ,
    batchid character varying(200)  ,
    eventid character varying(200)  ,
    eventtype character varying(200)  ,
    eventversion character varying(200)  ,
    eventtime timestamp with time zone,
    eventproducerid character varying(200)  ,
    deliverynumber character varying(200)  ,
    activityid character varying(200)  ,
    applicationid character varying(200)  ,
    channelid character varying(200)  ,
    interactionid character varying(200)  ,
    sessionid character varying(200)  ,
    receivingplant character varying(200)  ,
    deliverydate date,
    shipmentdate date,
    shippingpoint character varying(200)  ,
    replenishmenttype character varying(200)  ,
    numberofpackages character varying(200)  ,
    carrier_id character varying(200)  ,
    carrier_name character varying(200)  ,
    billoflading character varying(200)  ,
    pro_no character varying(200)  ,
    partner_id character varying(200)  ,
    deliveryitem character varying(200)  ,
    ponumber character varying(200)  ,
    poitem character varying(200)  ,
    tracking_no character varying(200)  ,
    serial_no character varying(200)  ,
    sto_no character varying(200)  ,
    sim_no character varying(200)  ,
    sku character varying(200)  ,
    quantity numeric(15,2),
    uom character varying(200)  
);


-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_rece_eventtype_replenishmenttype_c_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_eventtype_replenishmenttype_c_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_eventtype_replenishmenttype_c_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  , replenishmenttype  , COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying)  )
    ;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_rece_serial_no_eventtype_replenish_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_serial_no_eventtype_replenish_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_serial_no_eventtype_replenish_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (serial_no  , eventtype  , replenishmenttype  )
    
    WHERE eventtype::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text AND replenishmenttype::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text AND COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying)::text <> ''::text;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_recei_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx1

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_recei_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx1;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_recei_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx1
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  , replenishmenttype  )
    
    WHERE eventtype::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text AND replenishmenttype::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_receiv_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_receiv_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_receiv_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  , replenishmenttype  )
    ;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_received_eventtype_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_eventtype_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_eventtype_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  )
    ;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_received_replenishmenttype_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_replenishmenttype_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_replenishmenttype_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (replenishmenttype  )
    ;

Thanks,
Rj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Thomas Kellerer-4
Nagaraj Raj schrieb am 04.09.2020 um 23:18:

> I have a query which will more often run on DB and very slow and it
> is doing 'seqscan'. I was trying to optimize it by adding indexes in
> different ways but nothing helps.
>
> EXPALIN ANALYZE select serial_no,receivingplant,sku,r3_eventtime
> from (select serial_no,receivingplant,sku,eventtime as r3_eventtime, row_number() over (partition by serial_no order by eventtime desc) as mpos
> from receiving_item_delivered_received
> where eventtype='LineItemdetailsReceived'
> and replenishmenttype = 'DC2SWARRANTY'
> and coalesce(serial_no,'') <> ''
> ) Rec where mpos = 1;
>
>
> Query Planner:
>
> "Subquery Scan on rec  (cost=70835.30..82275.49 rows=1760 width=39) (actual time=2322.999..3451.783 rows=333451 loops=1)"
> "  Filter: (rec.mpos = 1)"
> "  Rows Removed by Filter: 19900"
> "  ->  WindowAgg  (cost=70835.30..77875.42 rows=352006 width=47) (actual time=2322.997..3414.384 rows=353351 loops=1)"
> "        ->  Sort  (cost=70835.30..71715.31 rows=352006 width=39) (actual time=2322.983..3190.090 rows=353351 loops=1)"
> "              Sort Key: receiving_item_delivered_received.serial_no, receiving_item_delivered_received.eventtime DESC"
> "              Sort Method: external merge  Disk: 17424kB"
> "              ->  Seq Scan on receiving_item_delivered_received  (cost=0.00..28777.82 rows=352006 width=39) (actual time=0.011..184.677 rows=353351 loops=1)"
> "                    Filter: (((COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying))::text <> ''::text) AND ((eventtype)::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text) AND ((replenishmenttype)::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text))"
> "                    Rows Removed by Filter: 55953"
> "Planning Time: 0.197 ms"
> "Execution Time: 3466.985 ms"

The query retrieves nearly all rows from the table 353351 of 409304 and the Seq Scan takes less than 200ms, so that's not your bottleneck.
Adding indexes won't change that.

The majority of the time is spent in the sort step which is done on disk.
Try to increase work_mem until the "external merge" disappears and is done in memory.

Thomas


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Nagaraj Raj
In reply to this post by Nagaraj Raj
On Friday, September 4, 2020, 02:19:06 PM PDT, Nagaraj Raj <[hidden email]> wrote:


I have a query which will more often run on DB and very slow and it is doing 'seqscan'. I was trying to optimize it by adding indexes in different ways but nothing helps.

Any suggestions?


Query:

EXPALIN ANALYZE select serial_no,receivingplant,sku,r3_eventtime 
from (select serial_no,receivingplant,sku,eventtime as r3_eventtime, row_number() over (partition by serial_no order by eventtime desc) as mpos 
from receiving_item_delivered_received 
where eventtype='LineItemdetailsReceived'
and replenishmenttype = 'DC2SWARRANTY'
and coalesce(serial_no,'') <> ''
) Rec where mpos = 1;


Query Planner: 

"Subquery Scan on rec  (cost=70835.30..82275.49 rows=1760 width=39) (actual time=2322.999..3451.783 rows=333451 loops=1)"
"  Filter: (rec.mpos = 1)"
"  Rows Removed by Filter: 19900"
"  ->  WindowAgg  (cost=70835.30..77875.42 rows=352006 width=47) (actual time=2322.997..3414.384 rows=353351 loops=1)"
"        ->  Sort  (cost=70835.30..71715.31 rows=352006 width=39) (actual time=2322.983..3190.090 rows=353351 loops=1)"
"              Sort Key: receiving_item_delivered_received.serial_no, receiving_item_delivered_received.eventtime DESC"
"              Sort Method: external merge  Disk: 17424kB"
"              ->  Seq Scan on receiving_item_delivered_received  (cost=0.00..28777.82 rows=352006 width=39) (actual time=0.011..184.677 rows=353351 loops=1)"
"                    Filter: (((COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying))::text <> ''::text) AND ((eventtype)::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text) AND ((replenishmenttype)::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text))"
"                    Rows Removed by Filter: 55953"
"Planning Time: 0.197 ms"
"Execution Time: 3466.985 ms"

Table DDL: 

CREATE TABLE receiving_item_delivered_received
(
    load_dttm timestamp with time zone,
    iamuniqueid character varying(200)  ,
    batchid character varying(200)  ,
    eventid character varying(200)  ,
    eventtype character varying(200)  ,
    eventversion character varying(200)  ,
    eventtime timestamp with time zone,
    eventproducerid character varying(200)  ,
    deliverynumber character varying(200)  ,
    activityid character varying(200)  ,
    applicationid character varying(200)  ,
    channelid character varying(200)  ,
    interactionid character varying(200)  ,
    sessionid character varying(200)  ,
    receivingplant character varying(200)  ,
    deliverydate date,
    shipmentdate date,
    shippingpoint character varying(200)  ,
    replenishmenttype character varying(200)  ,
    numberofpackages character varying(200)  ,
    carrier_id character varying(200)  ,
    carrier_name character varying(200)  ,
    billoflading character varying(200)  ,
    pro_no character varying(200)  ,
    partner_id character varying(200)  ,
    deliveryitem character varying(200)  ,
    ponumber character varying(200)  ,
    poitem character varying(200)  ,
    tracking_no character varying(200)  ,
    serial_no character varying(200)  ,
    sto_no character varying(200)  ,
    sim_no character varying(200)  ,
    sku character varying(200)  ,
    quantity numeric(15,2),
    uom character varying(200)  
);


-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_rece_eventtype_replenishmenttype_c_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_eventtype_replenishmenttype_c_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_eventtype_replenishmenttype_c_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  , replenishmenttype  , COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying)  )
    ;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_rece_serial_no_eventtype_replenish_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_serial_no_eventtype_replenish_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_rece_serial_no_eventtype_replenish_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (serial_no  , eventtype  , replenishmenttype  )
    
    WHERE eventtype::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text AND replenishmenttype::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text AND COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying)::text <> ''::text;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_recei_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx1

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_recei_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx1;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_recei_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx1
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  , replenishmenttype  )
    
    WHERE eventtype::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text AND replenishmenttype::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_receiv_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_receiv_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_receiv_eventtype_replenishmenttype_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  , replenishmenttype  )
    ;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_received_eventtype_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_eventtype_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_eventtype_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (eventtype  )
    ;
-- Index: receiving_item_delivered_received_replenishmenttype_idx

-- DROP INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_replenishmenttype_idx;

CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received_replenishmenttype_idx
    ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree
    (replenishmenttype  )
    ;

Thanks,
Rj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Tomas Vondra-4
In reply to this post by Nagaraj Raj
On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 09:18:41PM +0000, Nagaraj Raj wrote:
> I have a query which will more often run on DB and very slow and it is doing 'seqscan'. I was trying to optimize it by adding indexes in different ways but nothing helps.
>Any suggestions?
>

1) It's rather difficult to read the query plan as it's mangled by your
e-mail client. I recommend to check how to prevent the client from doing
that, or attaching the plan as a file.

2) The whole query takes ~3500ms, and the seqscan only accounts for
~200ms, so it's very clearly not the main issue.

3) Most of the time is spent in sort, so the one thing you can do is
either increasing work_mem, or adding index providing that ordering.
Even better if you include all necessary columns to allow IOS.


regards

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Michael Lewis
In reply to this post by Nagaraj Raj
CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree ( eventtype, replenishmenttype, serial_no, eventtime DESC );

More work_mem as Tomas suggests, but also, the above index should find the candidate rows by the first two keys, and then be able to skip the sort by reading just that portion of the index that matches

eventtype='LineItemdetailsReceived'
and replenishmenttype = 'DC2SWARRANTY'
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Michael Lewis
Note- you may need to vacuum* the table to get full benefit of index only scan by updating the visibility map. I think index only scan is skipped in favor of just checking visibility when the visibility map is stale.

*NOT full
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Nagaraj Raj
In reply to this post by Michael Lewis
Sorry, I have attached the wrong query planner, which executed in lower environment which has fewer resources:

Updated one,



Thanks,
Rj
On Friday, September 4, 2020, 02:39:57 PM PDT, Michael Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:


CREATE INDEX receiving_item_delivered_received ON receiving_item_delivered_received USING btree ( eventtype, replenishmenttype, serial_no, eventtime DESC );

More work_mem as Tomas suggests, but also, the above index should find the candidate rows by the first two keys, and then be able to skip the sort by reading just that portion of the index that matches


eventtype='LineItemdetailsReceived'
and replenishmenttype = 'DC2SWARRANTY'
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Michael Lewis
"Subquery Scan on rec (cost=1628601.89..1676580.92 rows=7381 width=41) (actual time=22171.986..23549.079 rows=1236042 loops=1)" " Filter: (rec.mpos = 1)" " Rows Removed by Filter: 228737" " Buffers: shared hit=45 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> WindowAgg (cost=1628601.89..1658127.45 rows=1476278 width=49) (actual time=22171.983..23379.219 rows=1464779 loops=1)" " Buffers: shared hit=45 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> Sort (cost=1628601.89..1632292.58 rows=1476278 width=41) (actual time=22171.963..22484.044 rows=1464779 loops=1)" " Sort Key: receiving_item_delivered_received.serial_no, receiving_item_delivered_received.eventtime DESC" " Sort Method: quicksort Memory: 163589kB" " Buffers: shared hit=45 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> Gather (cost=1000.00..1477331.13 rows=1476278 width=41) (actual time=1.296..10428.060 rows=1464779 loops=1)" " Workers Planned: 2" " Workers Launched: 2" " Buffers: shared hit=39 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> Parallel Seq Scan on receiving_item_delivered_received (cost=0.00..1328703.33 rows=615116 width=41) (actual time=1.262..10150.325 rows=488260 loops=3)" " Filter: (((COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying))::text <> ''::text) AND ((eventtype)::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text) AND ((replenishmenttype)::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text))" " Rows Removed by Filter: 6906258" " Buffers: shared hit=39 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" "Planning Time: 0.375 ms" "Execution Time: 23617.348 ms"


That is doing a lot of reading from disk. What do you have shared_buffers set to? I'd expect better cache hits unless it is quite low or this is a query that differs greatly from the typical work.

Also, did you try adding the index I suggested? That lowest node has 488k rows coming out of it after throwing away 6.9 million. I would expect an index on only eventtype, replenishmenttype to be quite helpful. I don't assume you have tons of rows where serial_no is null.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Nagaraj Raj
Hi Mechel,

I added the index as you suggested and the planner going through the bitmap index scan,heap and the new planner is,


Mem config: 

Aurora PostgreSQL 11.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.9.3, 64-bit
vCPU = 64
RAM = 512
show shared_buffers = 355 GB
show work_mem = 214 MB
show maintenance_work_mem = 8363MB
show effective_cache_size = 355 GB


Thanks,
Rj

On Friday, September 4, 2020, 02:55:50 PM PDT, Michael Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:


"Subquery Scan on rec (cost=1628601.89..1676580.92 rows=7381 width=41) (actual time=22171.986..23549.079 rows=1236042 loops=1)" " Filter: (rec.mpos = 1)" " Rows Removed by Filter: 228737" " Buffers: shared hit=45 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> WindowAgg (cost=1628601.89..1658127.45 rows=1476278 width=49) (actual time=22171.983..23379.219 rows=1464779 loops=1)" " Buffers: shared hit=45 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> Sort (cost=1628601.89..1632292.58 rows=1476278 width=41) (actual time=22171.963..22484.044 rows=1464779 loops=1)" " Sort Key: receiving_item_delivered_received.serial_no, receiving_item_delivered_received.eventtime DESC" " Sort Method: quicksort Memory: 163589kB" " Buffers: shared hit=45 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> Gather (cost=1000.00..1477331.13 rows=1476278 width=41) (actual time=1.296..10428.060 rows=1464779 loops=1)" " Workers Planned: 2" " Workers Launched: 2" " Buffers: shared hit=39 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" " -> Parallel Seq Scan on receiving_item_delivered_received (cost=0.00..1328703.33 rows=615116 width=41) (actual time=1.262..10150.325 rows=488260 loops=3)" " Filter: (((COALESCE(serial_no, ''::character varying))::text <> ''::text) AND ((eventtype)::text = 'LineItemdetailsReceived'::text) AND ((replenishmenttype)::text = 'DC2SWARRANTY'::text))" " Rows Removed by Filter: 6906258" " Buffers: shared hit=39 read=1166951" " I/O Timings: read=29.530" "Planning Time: 0.375 ms" "Execution Time: 23617.348 ms"


That is doing a lot of reading from disk. What do you have shared_buffers set to? I'd expect better cache hits unless it is quite low or this is a query that differs greatly from the typical work.

Also, did you try adding the index I suggested? That lowest node has 488k rows coming out of it after throwing away 6.9 million. I would expect an index on only eventtype, replenishmenttype to be quite helpful. I don't assume you have tons of rows where serial_no is null.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

David Rowley
On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 10:20, Nagaraj Raj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I added the index as you suggested and the planner going through the bitmap index scan,heap and the new planner is,
> HaOx | explain.depesz.com

In addition to that index, you could consider moving away from
standard SQL and use DISTINCT ON, which is specific to PostgreSQL and
should give you the same result.

EXPLAIN ANALYZE
SELECT DISTINCT ON (serial_no) serial_no,receivingplant,sku,r3_eventtime
FROM receiving_item_delivered_received
WHERE eventtype='LineItemdetailsReceived'
  AND replenishmenttype = 'DC2SWARRANTY'
  AND coalesce(serial_no,'') <> ''
ORDER BY serial_no,eventtime DESC;

The more duplicate serial_nos you have the better this one should
perform.  It appears you don't have too many so I don't think this
will be significantly faster, but it should be a bit quicker.

David


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Michael Lewis
In reply to this post by Nagaraj Raj


On Fri, Sep 4, 2020, 4:20 PM Nagaraj Raj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mechel,

I added the index as you suggested and the planner going through the bitmap index scan,heap and the new planner is,


Mem config: 

Aurora PostgreSQL 11.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.9.3, 64-bit
vCPU = 64
RAM = 512
show shared_buffers = 355 GB
show work_mem = 214 MB
show maintenance_work_mem = 8363MB
show effective_cache_size = 355 GB

I'm not very familiar with Aurora, but I would certainly try the explain analyze with timing OFF and verify that the total time is similar. If the system clock is slow to read, execution plans can be significantly slower just because of the cost to measure each step.

That sort being so slow is perplexing. Did you do the two column or four column index I suggested?

Obviously it depends on your use case and how much you want to tune this specific query, but you could always try a partial index matching the where condition and just index the other two columns to avoid the sort.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query performance issue

Nagaraj Raj
Hi Michael,


I created an index as suggested, it improved.  I was tried with partial index but the planner not using it.

also, there is no difference even with timing OFF. 



Thanks,
Rj



On Saturday, September 5, 2020, 06:42:31 AM PDT, Michael Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:




On Fri, Sep 4, 2020, 4:20 PM Nagaraj Raj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mechel,

I added the index as you suggested and the planner going through the bitmap index scan,heap and the new planner is,


Mem config: 

Aurora PostgreSQL 11.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.9.3, 64-bit
vCPU = 64
RAM = 512
show shared_buffers = 355 GB
show work_mem = 214 MB
show maintenance_work_mem = 8363MB
show effective_cache_size = 355 GB

I'm not very familiar with Aurora, but I would certainly try the explain analyze with timing OFF and verify that the total time is similar. If the system clock is slow to read, execution plans can be significantly slower just because of the cost to measure each step.

That sort being so slow is perplexing. Did you do the two column or four column index I suggested?

Obviously it depends on your use case and how much you want to tune this specific query, but you could always try a partial index matching the where condition and just index the other two columns to avoid the sort.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AW: Query performance issue

Dirk Krautschick
Hi %,

in order to be able to readjust the effects of the stored procedure and, if necessary,
to save turnaround times, different requests can be concatenated using semicolons for
bundling several statements in one request. We did some tests against a postgres cluster.

The results in terms of optimizations are as follows:


Batchsize  | clients|  count Queries | average s/query| comment
--------------|---------|----------------------|----------------------|-------------------
1     | 1    |  15.86k     |  2.24ms           |
10     | 1    |  31.80k     |  332us           |
25     | 1    |  31.75k     |  312us           |
50     | 1    |  32.00k     |  280us           |
100     | 1    |  32.00k     |  286us           |
      |      |       |                                |
1     | 2    |  57.1k     |  733us           | Drop to 30k after some time!!
10     | 2    |  63.6k     |  323us           |
25     | 2    |  63.5k     |  308us           |
50     | 2    |  64k     |  293us           |
100     | 2    |  67.2k     |  290us           |
                   |           |                            |                           |
1     | 10    |  158.6k     |  2.15ms           |    
10     | 10    |  298.9k     |  383us           | Drop to ~200k!!
25     | 10    |  225k     |  1.16ms           |
50     | 10    |  192k     |  1.55ms           |
100     | 10    |  201.6k     |  1.44ms           |
      |      |                     |                                 |
10     | 50    |  800k                 |  2.2ms           |


It seems to be saturated here at around 200k requests per minute,
the question remains why this is so.

Does anyone has experience with something similar or are there some
hints about how to optimize the postgres cluster for such bundled statements?

Thanks and best regards

Dirk