RE: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

Ram Pratap Maurya
Hi Team,

I am creating new server and installed postgres -13 and take PG_BACKUP  form current PRD server (PG version 11) and restore DB on PG-13 server.
can you suggest if we doing upgrade by this activity there is any issue.



Regards,
Ram Pratap.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Rowley [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 03 June 2021 18:01
To: Ram Pratap Maurya; PostgreSQL mailing lists
Subject: Re: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 00:22, PG Bug reporting form <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i am creating new server and installed postgres -13 and take PG_BACKUP
> form current PRD server (PG version 11) and restore DB on PG-13
> server. can you suggest if we doing upgrade by this activity there is any issue.

The form you've used is for reporting bugs yet, this does not seem to be a bug report.

If you're looking for general help and advice then you should consider asking on one of the mailing lists.

https://www.postgresql.org/list/

pgsql-general might be the best fit.

David
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

Adrian Klaver-4
On 6/3/21 5:53 AM, Ram Pratap Maurya wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am creating new server and installed postgres -13 and take PG_BACKUP  form current PRD server (PG version 11) and restore DB on PG-13 server.
> can you suggest if we doing upgrade by this activity there is any issue.

When doing this you should use the later version(13) of pg_dump to dump
the earlier version, are you doing that? If you are then you have
eliminated one possible issue.

You should also read the Release Notes section of version 12 and 13:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/release.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/release.html

to see what things have changed that may affect your current set up.

>
>
>
> Regards,
> Ram Pratap.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Rowley [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: 03 June 2021 18:01
> To: Ram Pratap Maurya; PostgreSQL mailing lists
> Subject: Re: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version
>
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 00:22, PG Bug reporting form <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i am creating new server and installed postgres -13 and take PG_BACKUP
>> form current PRD server (PG version 11) and restore DB on PG-13
>> server. can you suggest if we doing upgrade by this activity there is any issue.
>
> The form you've used is for reporting bugs yet, this does not seem to be a bug report.
>
> If you're looking for general help and advice then you should consider asking on one of the mailing lists.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/list/
>
> pgsql-general might be the best fit.
>
> David
>


--
Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

Ram Pratap Maurya
Dear Adrian,

 Currently I am using postgres 11 version and I want to upgrade postgres 13 and I am doing this activity , first we take pgbase_backup from from Postgres 11 and  restore this backup on postgres 13 (new server).
I am not using pg_dump .
I have done this activity on test server and its is working fine .
My confusion is it is possible to in future we face any issue like upgrade  and vacume or we can`t use all added new feature in postgres 13.




Regards,
Ram Pratap.

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 04 June 2021 03:07
To: Ram Pratap Maurya; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

On 6/3/21 5:53 AM, Ram Pratap Maurya wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am creating new server and installed postgres -13 and take PG_BACKUP  form current PRD server (PG version 11) and restore DB on PG-13 server.
> can you suggest if we doing upgrade by this activity there is any issue.

When doing this you should use the later version(13) of pg_dump to dump the earlier version, are you doing that? If you are then you have eliminated one possible issue.

You should also read the Release Notes section of version 12 and 13:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/release.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/release.html

to see what things have changed that may affect your current set up.

>
>
>
> Regards,
> Ram Pratap.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Rowley [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: 03 June 2021 18:01
> To: Ram Pratap Maurya; PostgreSQL mailing lists
> Subject: Re: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version
>
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 00:22, PG Bug reporting form <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i am creating new server and installed postgres -13 and take
>> PG_BACKUP form current PRD server (PG version 11) and restore DB on
>> PG-13 server. can you suggest if we doing upgrade by this activity there is any issue.
>
> The form you've used is for reporting bugs yet, this does not seem to be a bug report.
>
> If you're looking for general help and advice then you should consider asking on one of the mailing lists.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/list/
>
> pgsql-general might be the best fit.
>
> David
>


--
Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUG #17046: Upgrade postgres 11 to 13 version

Adrian Klaver-4
On 6/4/21 4:46 AM, Ram Pratap Maurya wrote:
> Dear Adrian,
>

Please do not top post. It is the convention on this list to post inline
or bottom post.

>   Currently I am using postgres 11 version and I want to upgrade postgres 13 and I am doing this activity , first we take pgbase_backup from from Postgres 11 and  restore this backup on postgres 13 (new server).

Which version of pg_basebackup are you using to take backup of 11 version?

See here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/app-pgbasebackup.html
"pg_basebackup works with servers of the same or an older major version,
down to 9.1."

What is the exact command you are using?


> I am not using pg_dump .
> I have done this activity on test server and its is working fine .
> My confusion is it is possible to in future we face any issue like upgrade  and vacume or we can`t use all added new feature in postgres 13.

You will still need to VACUUM, though AUTOVACUUM should take care of that.

Not sure what you mean about upgrade?

The new features will be available to you.

>
>
>
>
> Regards,
> Ram Pratap.
>
> -----Original Message-----



--
Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]