Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Lætitia Avrot
Hi all,

It seems my approach was quite candid because, of all postgres client applications, some document usage of connection string whereas other don't. Then, several ways of using connection strings are involved.

Here is a little digest:

| Postgres Client Application | Connection string syntax                                                           | Documented ? |
|-----------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------|
| clusterdb                   | clusterdb -d <connection_string> or clusterdb <connection_string>                  | No           |
| createdb                    | createdb --maintenance-db <connection_string>                                      | No           |
| createuser                  | Couldn't find if possible                                                          | No           |
| dropdb                      | dropdb --maintenance-db <connection_string>                                        | No           |
| dropuser                    | Couldn't find if possible                                                          | No           |
| pg_basebackup               | pg_basebackup -d <connection_string>                                               | Yes          |
| pgbench                     | Couldn't find if possible                                                          | No           |
| pg_dump                     | pg_dump -d <connection_string>                                                     | Yes          |
| pg_dumpall                  | pg_dumpall -d <connection_string>                                                  | Yes          |
| pg_isready                  | pg_isready -d <connection_string>                                                  | Yes          |
| pg_receivewal               | pg_receivewal -d <connection_string>                                               | Yes          |
| pg_recvlogical              | pg_recvlogical -d <connection_string>                                              | Yes          |
| pg_restore                  | pg_restore -d <connection_string>                                                  | No           |
| psql                        | psql <connection_string> or psql -d <connection_string>                            | Yes          |
| reindexdb                   | reindexdb -d <connection_string> or reindexdb --maintenance-db <connection_string> | No           |
| vacuumdb                    | vacuumdb -d <connection_string> or vacuumdb --maintenance-db <connection_string>   | No           |

And here are some statistics about connection string usage:

|                  | Number of tool using that syntax |
|------------------|----------------------------------|
| No switch        | 2                                |
| -d               | 11                               |
| --maintenance-db | 4                                |

- Both tools that allow connection strings without strings also allow the -d switch.
- From the 4 tools that use the --maintenance-db switch, only 2 won't allow the -d switch. Those don't have a -d switch now.

Given that, I think it would be a good thing to generalize the -d switch (and maybe the --maintenance-db switch too).

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Lætitia

Le mar. 30 avr. 2019 à 19:10, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi all,

I'm a big fan a service file to connect to PostgreSQL client applications. However I know just a few people use them.

I ran into an issue today: I wanted to user pg_restore with my service file and couldn't find a way to do so.

Documentation didn't help. It was all about "basic" options like providing host, port, user and database... Nothing about how to connect using a connection string.

I tried `pg_restore service=my_db <other options> <dumpfile>`, but it didn't work. `pg_restore` complaining about too many arguments.

I had to ask people or IRC to find out that the `-d` switch accepted connection strings.

It's really disturbing because :
- It's undocumented
- It doesn't work the way it works with the other PostgreSQL client applications (For example, `pg_dump` will accept `pg_dump service=my_db <other_options>`)

**I write a quick patch to document that feature**, but maybe we could go further. I suggest :

- Creating a "Connection Options" section before the other options (as the synopsis is pg_restore [connection-option...] [option...] [filename])
- Put all connection parameters here (including the -d switch witch is somehow in the middle of the other options
- Change other PostgreSQL client application documentation accordingly
- As a bonus, I'd like pg_restore to accept connection strings just as other client accept them (without a switch), but maybe it's too difficult

Could you please tell me what you think about it before I make such a huge change ?

Cheers,

Lætitia
Paper doesn’t grow on trees. Please print responsibly.

Paper doesn’t grow on trees. Please print responsibly.

Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 9:16 AM Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just a couple of quick comments:

Some of those tools user --dbname as a long option.
    Most of those tools also use the connection environment variables used by libpq: PGDATABASE
    Pgbench is documented [1]: pgbench [option...] [dbname]

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Lætitia Avrot
Hi Juan,

Le ven. 17 mai 2019 à 11:26, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 9:16 AM Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just a couple of quick comments:

Some of those tools user --dbname as a long option.

You're right. I checked and each and every tool that allow the -d switch allows the --dbname. So, of course, if -d is implemented for all Postgres client, --dbname should be allowed too.

Pgbench is documented [1]: pgbench [option...] [dbname]

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My point was using a connection string is not documented. Here is PgBench documentation about dbname:

where dbname is the name of the already-created database to test in. (You may also need -h-p, and/or -U options to specify how to connect to the database server.)

Cheers,

Lætitia

Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 11:38 AM Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:

In the "Common Options" section of PgBench you can find the connect options.

I really just wanted to make a couple of comments, I have not intention on reviewing your proposal. So as a final note, dbname defaults to the username if no other information is found.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Lætitia Avrot

In the "Common Options" section of PgBench you can find the connect options.

Still nothing about how to use a connection string:

>pgbench accepts the following command-line common arguments:
>-h hostname
>--host=hostname
>The database server's host name
>-p port
>--port=port
>The database server's port number
>-U login
>--username=login
>The user name to connect as

I do really appreciate that you took the time and your point of view is valuable to me.

Regards,

Lætitia

Re: [Doc] pg_restore documentation didn't explain how to use connection string

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:28 PM Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:

I did not see your original mail from the 30th, we were talking about apples and oranges. Sorry for the noise.

I have gone though that original mail and the undocumented behaviour you are seeing is from libpq itself, maybe not intentional at tool level.

So, if you want to resize your proposal to a more manageable scope breaking it down at tool level might take you further, there you want to make sure the behaviour is actually supported.

Regards,