Re: community social media

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

ourdiaspora
Mail list readers,

Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???

Mmm...

Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

David G Johnston
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mail list readers,

Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???

Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.

Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.

If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on our site.

David J.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

ourdiaspora
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Mail list readers,
> >
> > Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>
> Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>

See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account

"allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice

> > Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.
>
> If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on our site.
>

Some examples:


https://fediverse.party/en/portal/servers
https://diasporafoundation.org
https://joinmastodon.org/

Postgresql home web page should have hyperlinks to official postgresql servers for these services.

So, next to the home page which shows:
https://twitter.com/postgresql

There should be:

https://postgresql.org/mastodon
https://postgresql.org/hubzilla
etc.

Of course, each community social media service should describe the postgreqsl configuration.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

Adrian Klaver-4
On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:

> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Mail list readers,
>>>
>>> Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>>
>> Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>>
>
> See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
>
> "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice

Still not sure what the issue is.



--
Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

ourdiaspora

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:17 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:
>
> > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> > On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora [hidden email] wrote:
> > >
> > > > Mail list readers,
> > > > Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
> > >
> > > Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
> >
> > See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
> > "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>
> Still not sure what the issue is.
>

https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579

Ignorance is bliss...

>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Adrian Klaver
> [hidden email]




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

Tomas Vondra-4
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:50:05PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:

>
>‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>On Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:17 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:
>>
>> > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>> > On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston [hidden email] wrote:
>> >
>> > > On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora [hidden email] wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > Mail list readers,
>> > > > Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>> > >
>> > > Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>> >
>> > See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
>> > "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>>
>> Still not sure what the issue is.
>>
>
>https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579
>
>Ignorance is bliss...
>

Ummm, are you sure the best way to change things is to go to a mailing
list and insult people who may be genuinely confused about what exactly
you're proposing?

In any case, this list is meant to deal with promoting PostgreSQL
itself, so maybe a better place to discuss this is pgsql-www, which is
where the people maintaining the websites are paying more attention.


regards

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

Dave Cramer-7


On Sat., Sep. 26, 2020, 4:06 p.m. Tomas Vondra, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:50:05PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:
>
>‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>On Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:17 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:
>>
>> > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>> > On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston [hidden email] wrote:
>> >
>> > > On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora [hidden email] wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > Mail list readers,
>> > > > Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>> > >
>> > > Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>> >
>> > See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
>> > "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>>
>> Still not sure what the issue is.
>>
>
>https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579
>
>Ignorance is bliss...
>

Ummm, are you sure the best way to change things is to go to a mailing
list and insult people who may be genuinely confused about what exactly
you're proposing?

Ironic isn't it ?

Dave



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

David G Johnston
In reply to this post by ourdiaspora
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:05 AM ourdiaspora <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.
>
> If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on our site.
>

Some examples:


https://fediverse.party/en/portal/servers
https://diasporafoundation.org
https://joinmastodon.org/

Postgresql home web page should have hyperlinks to official postgresql servers for these services.

So, next to the home page which shows:
https://twitter.com/postgresql

There should be:

https://postgresql.org/mastodon
https://postgresql.org/hubzilla
etc.

Of course, each community social media service should describe the postgreqsl configuration.

But I don't believe that there are official PostgreSQL servers for/on these platforms (and it seems difficult to know whether there are unofficial ones).  We do have Slack and IRC setup and links to those are on the "Community" page.

David J.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

Tomas Vondra-4
In reply to this post by ourdiaspora
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 06:05:14PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:

>‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Mail list readers,
>> >
>> > Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>>
>> Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>>
>
>See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
>
>"allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>
>> > Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.
>>
>> If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on our site.
>>
>
>Some examples:
>
>
>https://fediverse.party/en/portal/servers
>https://diasporafoundation.org
>https://joinmastodon.org/
>
>Postgresql home web page should have hyperlinks to official postgresql servers for these services.
>

I'm not sure there are official (i.e. operated by PGDG) postgresql
servers for these services.


>So, next to the home page which shows:
>https://twitter.com/postgresql
>
>There should be:
>
>https://postgresql.org/mastodon
>https://postgresql.org/hubzilla
>etc.
>

Those links lead nowhere, so it's not clear to me what exactly is your
proposal? Are you suggesting PGDG should start running those services?
I very much doubt PGDG has the resources (esp. manpower) to run and
maintain every possible service of this kind ...

>Of course, each community social media service should describe the
>postgreqsl configuration.
>

Not sure what you mean by this? What postgresql configuration?


regards

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

Adrian Klaver-4
In reply to this post by ourdiaspora
On 9/26/20 12:50 PM, ourdiaspora wrote:

>
> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:17 PM, Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:
>>
>>> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>>> On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora [hidden email] wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Mail list readers,
>>>>> Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>>>>
>>>> Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>>>
>>> See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
>>> "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>>
>> Still not sure what the issue is.
>>
>
> https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579
>
> Ignorance is bliss..

I would say ignorance is taking a word(black) and appropriating it for a
cause, wherever it appears, when said word has more them one meaning.

>
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> Adrian Klaver
>> [hidden email]
>
>


--
Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

Jonathan S. Katz-3
On 9/26/20 4:59 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 9/26/20 12:50 PM, ourdiaspora wrote:
>>
>> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>> On Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:17 PM, Adrian Klaver
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:
>>>
>>>> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>>>> On Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:04 PM, David G. Johnston
>>>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM ourdiaspora
>>>>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Mail list readers,
>>>>>> Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to
>>>>>> "blacklist"???
>>>>>
>>>>> Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
>>>>
>>>> See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql
>>>> web site account
>>>> "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>>>
>>> Still not sure what the issue is.
>>>
>>
>> https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579
>>
>> Ignorance is bliss..
>
> I would say ignorance is taking a word(black) and appropriating it for a
> cause, wherever it appears, when said word has more them one meaning.
As Magnus said[1] a bit earlier, there's already an in-progress item to
implement language updates on pglister, but it's not a trivial change.

Now that we're passed the PostgreSQL 13 release (which for who track
things with the pgweb ecosystem, *a lot* of changes were added to help
support the release ;) my guess is this will be handled in the
not-too-distant future.

Suffice to say, this is being addressed.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEyS0_xFc-7ZaWKR%3Dd5h-HfvGEt%2BPhEP2Dpp5H7sTxY6Ug%40mail.gmail.com


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

ourdiaspora
In reply to this post by Tomas Vondra-4
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, September 26, 2020 9:06 PM, Tomas Vondra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:50:05PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:
>
> > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> > On Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:17 PM, Adrian Klaver [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Still not sure what the issue is.
> >
> > https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579
> > Ignorance is bliss...
>
> Ummm, are you sure the best way to change things is to go to a mailing
> list and insult people who may be genuinely confused about what exactly
> you're proposing?
>

You should be sure that denialism per se is an insult to some



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: community social media

ourdiaspora
In reply to this post by David G Johnston
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, September 26, 2020 9:14 PM, David G. Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> But I don't believe that there are official PostgreSQL servers for/on these platforms (and it seems difficult to know whether there are unofficial ones).

Unofficial servers may be found via tags. Agree that's it's difficult to find within the fediverse (which is why the suggestion is made that official postgresql domains within the fediverse are created).

Example public "tags" that refer to postgresql:

https://mastodon.org.uk/tags/postgresql
https://mastodon.social/tags/postgresql