System (and DB) upgrade problem.

System (and DB) upgrade problem.

W.P.
Hi there,

I am upgrading Fedora 24 to (now) 26, PostgreSQL stopped starting (as
expected), the message from systemctl was to do "postgresql-setup
--upgrade".

Did installed the tool, loaunched.

But it fails with (attached logs) messages, I am missing some libraries,
what should I install?

Laurent.

loadable_libraries.txt (394 bytes) Download Attachment
upgrade_postgresql.log (1K) Download Attachment

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem.

Laurenz Albe
On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 07:41 +0100, W.P. wrote:
> I am upgrading Fedora 24 to (now) 26, PostgreSQL stopped starting (as
> expected), the message from systemctl was to do "postgresql-setup
> --upgrade".
> Did installed the tool, loaunched.
> But it fails with (attached logs) messages, I am missing some libraries,
> what should I install?

The logs complain about missing the "dblink" library, so you forgot to install
the -contrib package.

Remember to REINDEX all indexes on string columns, because the collations
may have changed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

W.P.
W dniu 13.01.2021 o 12:28, Laurenz Albe pisze:

> On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 07:41 +0100, W.P. wrote:
>> I am upgrading Fedora 24 to (now) 26, PostgreSQL stopped starting (as
>> expected), the message from systemctl was to do "postgresql-setup
>> --upgrade".
>> Did installed the tool, loaunched.
>> But it fails with (attached logs) messages, I am missing some libraries,
>> what should I install?
> The logs complain about missing the "dblink" library, so you forgot to install
> the -contrib package.
> Remember to REINDEX all indexes on string columns, because the collations
> may have changed.
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
For 9.5 to 9.6 transition, it worked like charm. (except some problems
with parsing json data in a view, but this I will address later, after
upgrade to final version - Fedora 30, probably PG 10.x).

Now I have problem with 9.6 -> 10.7 (Fedora 27 -> 28) upgrade.
As expected after system upgrade, database fails to start "files
incompatible with binaries".

Found pg_upgrade, command line options "-b
/usr/lib/pgsql/postgresql-9.6/bin -B /usr/bin -d /var/lib/pgsql/data/"
BUT what should I put for option -D? ("new cluster data") Was
(directory) already created for me (during system upgrade), or have I to
create it somewhere (where? is best practice).

There are NO logs for today trial to start in
/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log/. Where they could be?

Laurent

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

Peter J. Holzer
On 2021-01-18 05:33:05 +0100, W.P. wrote:
> Now I have problem with 9.6 -> 10.7 (Fedora 27 -> 28) upgrade.
> As expected after system upgrade, database fails to start "files
> incompatible with binaries".
> Found pg_upgrade, command line options "-b /usr/lib/pgsql/postgresql-9.6/bin
> -B /usr/bin -d /var/lib/pgsql/data/" BUT what should I put for option -D?
> ("new cluster data") Was (directory) already created for me (during system
> upgrade), or have I to create it somewhere (where? is best practice).

The Debian/Ubuntu package contains a script pg_upgradecluster which
knows about the distribution-specific directory layout. You would
normally use that script instead pg_upgrade directly.

Maybe the Fedora package has something similar?

hp

_  | Peter J. Holzer    | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) |                    |
| |   | [hidden email]         |    -- Charles Stross, "Creative writing
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       challenge!"

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

Laurenz Albe
In reply to this post by W.P.
On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 05:33 +0100, W.P. wrote:

> For 9.5 to 9.6 transition, it worked like charm. (except some problems
> with parsing json data in a view, but this I will address later, after
> upgrade to final version - Fedora 30, probably PG 10.x).
> Now I have problem with 9.6 -> 10.7 (Fedora 27 -> 28) upgrade.
> As expected after system upgrade, database fails to start "files
> incompatible with binaries".
> Found pg_upgrade, command line options "-b
> /usr/lib/pgsql/postgresql-9.6/bin -B /usr/bin -d /var/lib/pgsql/data/"
> BUT what should I put for option -D? ("new cluster data") Was
> (directory) already created for me (during system upgrade), or have I to
> create it somewhere (where? is best practice).
> There are NO logs for today trial to start in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log/. Where they could be?

You would call "initdb" or "postgresql-10-setup" to create a new, empty
cluster in version 10 and use that with -D.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

W.P.
W dniu 18.01.2021 o 17:19, Laurenz Albe pisze:

> On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 05:33 +0100, W.P. wrote:
>> For 9.5 to 9.6 transition, it worked like charm. (except some problems
>> with parsing json data in a view, but this I will address later, after
>> upgrade to final version - Fedora 30, probably PG 10.x).
>> Now I have problem with 9.6 -> 10.7 (Fedora 27 -> 28) upgrade.
>> As expected after system upgrade, database fails to start "files
>> incompatible with binaries".
>> Found pg_upgrade, command line options "-b
>> /usr/lib/pgsql/postgresql-9.6/bin -B /usr/bin -d /var/lib/pgsql/data/"
>> BUT what should I put for option -D? ("new cluster data") Was
>> (directory) already created for me (during system upgrade), or have I to
>> create it somewhere (where? is best practice).
>> There are NO logs for today trial to start in
>> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log/. Where they could be?
> You would call "initdb" or "postgresql-10-setup" to create a new, empty
> cluster in version 10 and use that with -D.
Ok, so "step-by-step":
1), I copy / move "somewhere" OLD DB files (*/pgsql/data/* for -d option),
2). Do initdb / postgresql-10-setup to create NEW empty base (in
/var/lib/pgsql/ or  somewhere, for -D option),
3). do pg_upgrade.

Is that correct?

Is there somewhere "guide for 9.x -> 10.x CONCEPTS changes (and upgrade)
guide"? (clusters etc).

Laurent
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

Bruce Momjian
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 09:53:33PM +0100, W.P. wrote:

> W dniu 18.01.2021 o 17:19, Laurenz Albe pisze:
> > On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 05:33 +0100, W.P. wrote:
> > > For 9.5 to 9.6 transition, it worked like charm. (except some problems
> > > with parsing json data in a view, but this I will address later, after
> > > upgrade to final version - Fedora 30, probably PG 10.x).
> > >
> > > Now I have problem with 9.6 -> 10.7 (Fedora 27 -> 28) upgrade.
> > > As expected after system upgrade, database fails to start "files
> > > incompatible with binaries".
> > >
> > > Found pg_upgrade, command line options "-b
> > > /usr/lib/pgsql/postgresql-9.6/bin -B /usr/bin -d /var/lib/pgsql/data/"
> > > BUT what should I put for option -D? ("new cluster data") Was
> > > (directory) already created for me (during system upgrade), or have I to
> > > create it somewhere (where? is best practice).
> > >
> > > There are NO logs for today trial to start in
> > > /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log/. Where they could be?
> > You would call "initdb" or "postgresql-10-setup" to create a new, empty
> > cluster in version 10 and use that with -D.
> Ok, so "step-by-step":
> 1), I copy / move "somewhere" OLD DB files (*/pgsql/data/* for -d option),
> 2). Do initdb / postgresql-10-setup to create NEW empty base (in
> /var/lib/pgsql/ or  somewhere, for -D option),
> 3). do pg_upgrade.
> Is that correct?
> Is there somewhere "guide for 9.x -> 10.x CONCEPTS changes (and upgrade)
> guide"? (clusters etc).

The pg_upgade docs have all the steps.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

Ron-2
On 1/18/21 2:58 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 09:53:33PM +0100, W.P. wrote:
[snip]

>> Ok, so "step-by-step":
>> 1), I copy / move "somewhere" OLD DB files (*/pgsql/data/* for -d option),
>> 2). Do initdb / postgresql-10-setup to create NEW empty base (in
>> /var/lib/pgsql/ or  somewhere, for -D option),
>> 3). do pg_upgrade.
>> Is that correct?
>> Is there somewhere "guide for 9.x -> 10.x CONCEPTS changes (and upgrade)
>> guide"? (clusters etc).
> The pg_upgade docs have all the steps.

The documents tend to assume the reader thoroughly knows Postgresql, and
that's manifestly Not True.

Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

David G Johnston
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 2:13 PM Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:
The documents tend to assume the reader thoroughly knows Postgresql, and
that's manifestly Not True.

Maybe not, but users are still expected to read the documentation.  If there remains questions or concerns after doing so then by asking such there is a chance for someone to decide to volunteer an improvement to the documentation so that the same question doesn't have to be asked in the future.

David J.

Re: System (and DB) upgrade problem., "part 2"

Bruce Momjian
In reply to this post by Ron-2
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 03:13:13PM -0600, Ron wrote:

> On 1/18/21 2:58 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 09:53:33PM +0100, W.P. wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Ok, so "step-by-step":
> > > 1), I copy / move "somewhere" OLD DB files (*/pgsql/data/* for -d option),
> > > 2). Do initdb / postgresql-10-setup to create NEW empty base (in
> > > /var/lib/pgsql/ or  somewhere, for -D option),
> > > 3). do pg_upgrade.
> > >
> > > Is that correct?
> > >
> > > Is there somewhere "guide for 9.x -> 10.x CONCEPTS changes (and upgrade)
> > > guide"? (clusters etc).
> > The pg_upgade docs have all the steps.
> The documents tend to assume the reader thoroughly knows Postgresql, and
> that's manifestly Not True.

What is your point?  Maybe they shouldn't be using pg_upgrade then,
right?  If the documentaiton is unclear, please explain why.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us