The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

apt.postgresql.org Repository Update
The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/plpgsql-statements.html
Description:

Hey Kind Doc People
I was hoping we could add sub-anchors for each of the sections on this page.
It would make it easier to link to the specific content of interest
Thanks
Steve

Re: The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

Bruce Momjian
On Wed, Dec  2, 2020 at 08:21:27PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/plpgsql-statements.html
> Description:
> Hey Kind Doc People
> I was hoping we could add sub-anchors for each of the sections on this page.
> It would make it easier to link to the specific content of interest

Yes, I would like more sub-anchors too.  Sometimes I add them when
creating the major release notes, but other than that, I don't know
anyone working on adding more.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee

Re: The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

Álvaro Herrera
In reply to this post by apt.postgresql.org Repository Update
Hello

On 2020-Dec-02, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/plpgsql-statements.html
> Description:
> Hey Kind Doc People
> I was hoping we could add sub-anchors for each of the sections on this page.
> It would make it easier to link to the specific content of interest

Exactly where would you want more anchors in this page?  The
sections ("42.5.6. Doing Nothing At All") already have them.

Re: The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

Steven Pousty
They certainly do at the top of the page, that's why I sent the second email. I was hoping to have anchors down the page where that actual topic is. The rational for this is, when I write a blog post, teach a class, help someone on slack... I can give them the URL right to the section I want them to read. This anchor would prevent just giving the url to the whole page and telling them to search for it.

I guess I could also just copy the link in the TOC at the top of the page that points to the header I want.

So not a hig priority request but certainly easier if the anchor is right there to copy when I am reading the section.

Thanks
Steve

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:31 AM Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

On 2020-Dec-02, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/plpgsql-statements.html
> Description:
> Hey Kind Doc People
> I was hoping we could add sub-anchors for each of the sections on this page.
> It would make it easier to link to the specific content of interest

Exactly where would you want more anchors in this page?  The
sections ("42.5.6. Doing Nothing At All") already have them.

Re: The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

Steven Pousty

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Steven Pousty <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks
Steve

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:31 AM Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

On 2020-Dec-02, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/plpgsql-statements.html
> Description:
> Hey Kind Doc People
> I was hoping we could add sub-anchors for each of the sections on this page.
> It would make it easier to link to the specific content of interest

Exactly where would you want more anchors in this page?  The
sections ("42.5.6. Doing Nothing At All") already have them.

Sorry I forgot to put the reply after the quote. Reply on top is the default behavior in google and I just forget sometimes.

Re: The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

Álvaro Herrera
In reply to this post by Steven Pousty
On 2020-Dec-10, Steven Pousty wrote:

> They certainly do at the top of the page, that's why I sent the second
> email. I was hoping to have anchors down the page where that actual topic
> is. The rational for this is, when I write a blog post, teach a class, help
> someone on slack... I can give them the URL right to the section I want
> them to read. This anchor would prevent just giving the url to the whole
> page and telling them to search for it.

Ah -- so what you want is to have something like an icon (typically a
chain link icon) that appears next to the title, and points to itself?
Many sites do that.  I think it's a useful idea and we should consider
it, but it's a modification that would be done to the tooling and so
it'd affect the whole documentation, not just this page.

Re: The sub-categories do not have anchors on this page

Bruce Momjian
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 05:59:15PM -0300, Álvaro Herrera wrote:

> On 2020-Dec-10, Steven Pousty wrote:
> > They certainly do at the top of the page, that's why I sent the second
> > email. I was hoping to have anchors down the page where that actual topic
> > is. The rational for this is, when I write a blog post, teach a class, help
> > someone on slack... I can give them the URL right to the section I want
> > them to read. This anchor would prevent just giving the url to the whole
> > page and telling them to search for it.
> Ah -- so what you want is to have something like an icon (typically a
> chain link icon) that appears next to the title, and points to itself?
> Many sites do that.  I think it's a useful idea and we should consider
> it, but it's a modification that would be done to the tooling and so
> it'd affect the whole documentation, not just this page.

I see your point --- these sub-sections are mixed with others on the
same page, so how would you know the link location?  I usually dig
through the sgml and find one, or add one if it is missing, but that is
hardly scalable.  Having a link icon makes sense --- even if they can
just click on the subsection title and the URL changes to that section

> On 2020-Dec-10, Steven Pousty wrote:
> > They certainly do at the top of the page, that's why I sent the second
> > email. I was hoping to have anchors down the page where that actual topic
> > is. The rational for this is, when I write a blog post, teach a class, help
> > someone on slack... I can give them the URL right to the section I want
> > them to read. This anchor would prevent just giving the url to the whole
> > page and telling them to search for it.
> Ah -- so what you want is to have something like an icon (typically a
> chain link icon) that appears next to the title, and points to itself?
> Many sites do that.  I think it's a useful idea and we should consider
> it, but it's a modification that would be done to the tooling and so
> it'd affect the whole documentation, not just this page.

I see your point --- these sub-sections are mixed with others on the
same page, so how would you know the link location?  I usually dig
through the sgml and find one, or add one if it is missing, but that is
hardly scalable.  Having a link icon makes sense --- even if they can
just click on the subsection title and the URL changes to that section
URL would be helpful.

I would have used this numerous times recently when pointing people to where to find answers to their questions.

David J.

>     > > is. The rational for this is, when I write a blog post, teach a
>     class, help
>     > > someone on slack... I can give them the URL right to the section
>     I want
>     > > them to read. This anchor would prevent just giving the url to
>     the whole
>     > > page and telling them to search for it.
>     >
>     > Ah -- so what you want is to have something like an icon (typically a
>     > chain link icon) that appears next to the title, and points to itself?
>     > Many sites do that.  I think it's a useful idea and we should consider
>     > it, but it's a modification that would be done to the tooling and so
>     > it'd affect the whole documentation, not just this page.
>     I see your point --- these sub-sections are mixed with others on the
>     same page, so how would you know the link location?  I usually dig
>     through the sgml and find one, or add one if it is missing, but that is
>     hardly scalable.  Having a link icon makes sense --- even if they can
>     just click on the subsection title and the URL changes to that section
>     URL would be helpful.
> +1
> I would have used this numerous times recently when pointing people to
> where to find answers to their questions.
Something to help with this has been on my backlog for a bit. We may be
able to resolve this with the pgweb CSS layer.

Jonathan