WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Willy-Bas Loos-3
Hi , I'm upgrading a 1.5TB database from postgres 9.3 to postgres 13 on Debian 10. This is now in an Acceptance stage (DTAP). I have encountered a problem: the WAL is not being deleted. I now have 1.4 TB of WAL in pg_wal and my disks are getting full. The oldest WAL file is 18 days old.
I use Logical Replication from the new cluster to another new cluster with 1 subscriber and 1 subscription.

pg_stat_subscription tells me all recent timestamps.
and this:
xmin                |
catalog_xmin        | 269168
restart_lsn         | D4/908BC268
confirmed_flush_lsn | E1/25BF5710
wal_status          | extended
safe_wal_size       |

I've had problems with diskspace on this server, with postgres crashing because of it, then added more diskspace and postgres recovered. This doesn't seem to be a problem now.

The publication has the options publish = 'insert, update, delete, truncate', publish_via_partition_root = false
The subscription has the options connect = true, enabled = true, create_slot = false, slot_name = my_pub1, synchronous_commit = 'off'

The log on the publisher says:
2021-05-25 21:25:18.973 CEST [4584] user@db LOG:  starting logical decoding for slot "my_pub1"
2021-05-25 21:25:18.973 CEST [4584] user@db DETAIL:  Streaming transactions committing after D6/A82B5FE0, reading WAL from D4/908BC268.
2021-05-25 21:25:18.973 CEST [4584] user@db LOG:  logical decoding found consistent point at D4/908BC268
2021-05-25 21:25:18.973 CEST [4584] user@db DETAIL:  There are no running transactions.
2021-05-25 21:29:49.456 CEST [4614] user@db ERROR:  replication slot "my_pub1" is active for PID 4584
2021-05-25 21:29:54.474 CEST [4615] user@db ERROR:  replication slot "my_pub1" is active for PID 4584

And on the subscriber:
2021-05-28 21:23:46.702 CEST [40039] LOG:  logical replication apply worker for subscription "my_pub1" has started
2021-05-28 21:23:46.712 CEST [40039] ERROR:  could not start WAL streaming: ERROR:  replication slot "my_pub1" is active for PID 730
2021-05-28 21:23:46.714 CEST [19794] LOG:  background worker "logical replication worker" (PID 40039) exited with exit code 1

The postgres settings on the publisher are:
shared_buffers = 50GB # min 128kB
max_wal_size = 1GB
max_wal_senders = 10 # max number of walsender processes
wal_sender_timeout = 1min # in milliseconds; 0 disables
max_replication_slots = 7 # max number of replication slots

On postgres settings on the subscriber:
shared_buffers = 25GB # min 128kB
max_wal_size = 3GB
wal_receiver_timeout = 1min # time that receiver waits for
max_logical_replication_workers = 10 # taken from max_worker_processes
max_sync_workers_per_subscription = 5 # taken from max_logical_replication_workers

I've tried increasing wal_sender_timeout and wal_receiver_timeout to 10 minutes each, but this had no positive effect.

Some advice would be helpful
Willy-Bas Loos

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Vijaykumar Jain-2
I am not too sure with 9.3
i tried an upgrade from 9.6 to 11 using logical replication (pg_logical extension)

one thing to note.
logical replication initiates a copy from a snapshot, then changes from then on.

I had a very high insert rate on my source tables (v9.6) and the destination (v11) could not keep up (it had tons of indexes when I copied the schema) and it took around a day as the table had around 12 indexes.

So at the destination(v11), I dropped all but the primary index for each table, started subscription and when it was almost caught up, rebuilt the index on the destination concurrently.
it completed in 4-5 hours without stopping the source.
migration completed in a few mins :)

not sure if this would help, but just FYI.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 01:36, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:

pg_stat_subscription tells me all recent timestamps.
and this:

Willy-Bas Loos

Thanks,
Vijay
Mumbai, India

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Willy-Bas Loos-3
Yeah, indexes could slow things down, thanks. Btw I'm not using logical replication for the upgrade, that's not supported for 9.3.
It was more complicated but that's beside the point.

I could just delete the publication and all that belongs to it and start over. But since I'm trying out logical replication, I would like to be more in control than that. It's there anything that I can dig into to find out why the WAL is accumulating?

Op vr 28 mei 2021 22:20 schreef Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]>:
I am not too sure with 9.3

one thing to note.

it completed in 4-5 hours without stopping the source.
migration completed in a few mins :)

not sure if this would help, but just FYI.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 01:36, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:

pg_stat_subscription tells me all recent timestamps.
and this:

Thanks,
Vijay
Mumbai, India

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Vijaykumar Jain-2
WAL can be built up for reasons like
1) if you have an inactive replication slot. I mean you had a streaming replica which was turned off, but you did not remote the slot from primary.
2) Do you have archiving enabled? Are the archiving commands running fine ? if just the archiving is broken, then you can manually run archive cleanup provided, replication is all caught up fine.

3) logical replication can be broken for multiple reasons, like conflicts where the subscriber already has the data which primary wants to push. it will not proceed until the conflicts are resolved.
4) poor connectivity or the computer/network resources not able to keep up with the load, can result in WAL pile up.

there are many blogs around logical replication issues, but when it was new in pg10, I read this.

btw,
how are you doing logical replication with 9.3 ? using a pglogical extension ?
I can try many things, but it would be wrong to make assumptions since i did not work with 9.3
for ex.
there are many issues posted here that may be relevant to your setup.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 19:22, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:
It was more complicated but that's beside the point.

Op vr 28 mei 2021 22:20 schreef Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]>:
I am not too sure with 9.3

one thing to note.

it completed in 4-5 hours without stopping the source.
migration completed in a few mins :)

not sure if this would help, but just FYI.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 01:36, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:

pg_stat_subscription tells me all recent timestamps.
and this:

Mumbai, India

Thanks,
Vijay
Mumbai, India

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Willy-Bas Loos-3
Thank you for elaborating those possible causes and for the suggestions you made.
1) if you have an inactive replication slot.
There is only 1 replication slot and it is active. So that is not the issue.

2) Do you have archiving enabled?
No, i never turned it on and so this is in the settings of  both publisher and subscriber: #archive_mode = off (and show archive_mode; tells me the same)

That would have been in the log, but there isn't any conflict in the log. Only the messages that i posted with my first message.

This would be strange since there is a 10Gbps connection within the same rack. But it could theoretically be malfunctioning or the performance on the subscriber could be too low.
If any of this is the case, shouldn't that be visible in pg_stat_subscription ?

Thanks for the article, it's interesting to see how they transitioned from londiste, even if the article is about pglogical, not logical replication in the postgres core.
I was using Londiste to transfer the data to the new server and minimize downtime, so the article might come in handy.
I prepared by reading the documentation, which is very straightforward.
>btw,
>how are you doing logical replication with 9.3 ? using a pglogical extension ?
No, I'm not using logical replication in postgres 9.3 . Only on postgres 13.
About the link to the bug reports: Thanks for the suggestion. But first I'd like to get some better grip on what is going on before searching for bugs.

Still, any help will be much appreciated

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
WAL can be built up for reasons like

btw,
how are you doing logical replication with 9.3 ? using a pglogical extension ?
for ex.
there are many issues posted here that may be relevant to your setup.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 19:22, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:
It was more complicated but that's beside the point.

Op vr 28 mei 2021 22:20 schreef Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]>:
I am not too sure with 9.3

one thing to note.

it completed in 4-5 hours without stopping the source.
migration completed in a few mins :)

not sure if this would help, but just FYI.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 01:36, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:

pg_stat_subscription tells me all recent timestamps.
and this:

Thanks,
Vijay
Mumbai, India

Willy-Bas Loos

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Vijaykumar Jain-2
So I got it all wrong it seems :)
You upgraded to pg13 fine? , but while on pg13 you have issues with logical replication ?

There is a path in the postgresql source user subscription folder iirc which covers various logical replication scenarios.
That may help you just in case.

I have tried all known ways in which replication breaks like above and once I resolve conflicts it starts fine.
I’ll try to explore more scenarios.
Pardon my link to pglogical. I misunderstood.

On Mon, 31 May 2021 at 7:25 PM Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:
1) if you have an inactive replication slot.
There is only 1 replication slot and it is active. So that is not the issue.

2) Do you have archiving enabled?

If any of this is the case, shouldn't that be visible in pg_stat_subscription ?

I prepared by reading the documentation, which is very straightforward.
>btw,
>how are you doing logical replication with 9.3 ? using a pglogical extension ?
No, I'm not using logical replication in postgres 9.3 . Only on postgres 13.

Still, any help will be much appreciated

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
WAL can be built up for reasons like

btw,
how are you doing logical replication with 9.3 ? using a pglogical extension ?
for ex.
there are many issues posted here that may be relevant to your setup.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 19:22, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:
It was more complicated but that's beside the point.

Op vr 28 mei 2021 22:20 schreef Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]>:
I am not too sure with 9.3

one thing to note.

it completed in 4-5 hours without stopping the source.
migration completed in a few mins :)

not sure if this would help, but just FYI.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 01:36, Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:

pg_stat_subscription tells me all recent timestamps.
and this:

Thanks,
Vijay
Mumbai, India

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Willy-Bas Loos-3

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I got it all wrong it seems :)
Thank you for taking the time to help me!

Yes, the upgrade went fine. So here are some details:
I already had londiste running on postgres 9.3, but londiste wouldn't run on Debian 10
So i first made the new server Debian 9 with postgres 9.6 and i started replicating with londiste from 9.3 to 9.6
When all was ready, i stopped the replication to the 9.6 server and deleted all londiste & pgq content with drop schema cascade.
Then I upgraded the server to Debian  10. Then i user pg_upgrade to upgrade from postgres 9.6 to 13. (PostGIS versions were kept compatible).
Then I added logical replication and a third server as a subscriber.

I was going to write that replication is working fine (since the table contains a lot of data and there are no conflicts in the log), but it turns out that it isn't.
The subscriber is behind and It looks like there hasn't been any incoming data after the initial data synchronization.
So at least now i know that the WAL is being retained with a reason. The connection is working properly (via psql anyway)

I will also look into how to diagnose this from the system tables, e.g. substracting LSN's to get some quantitative measure  for the lag.

That may help you just in case.
OK, so comments in the source code you mean?

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Vijaykumar Jain-2

On Mon, May 31, 2021, 9:02 PM Willy-Bas Loos <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Vijaykumar Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I got it all wrong it seems :)
Thank you for taking the time to help me!

Yes, the upgrade went fine. So here are some details:
Then I added logical replication and a third server as a subscriber.

That may help you just in case.
OK, so comments in the source code you mean?

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Tomas Pospisek
In reply to this post by Willy-Bas Loos-3
Hi Willy-Bas Loos,

On 31.05.21 17:32, Willy-Bas Loos wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Vijaykumar Jain
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     So I got it all wrong it seems :)
> Thank you for taking the time to help me!
>     You upgraded to pg13 fine? , but while on pg13 you have issues with
>     logical replication ?
> Yes, the upgrade went fine. So here are some details:
> I already had londiste running on postgres 9.3, but londiste wouldn't
> run on Debian 10
> So i first made the new server Debian 9 with postgres 9.6 and i started
> replicating with londiste from 9.3 to 9.6
> When all was ready, i stopped the replication to the 9.6 server and
> deleted all londiste & pgq content with drop schema cascade.
> Then I upgraded the server to Debian  10. Then i user pg_upgrade to
> upgrade from postgres 9.6 to 13. (PostGIS versions were kept compatible).
> Then I added logical replication and a third server as a subscriber.
> I was going to write that replication is working fine (since the table
> contains a lot of data and there are no conflicts in the log), but it
> turns out that it isn't.
> The subscriber is behind and It looks like there hasn't been any
> incoming data after the initial data synchronization.
> So at least now i know that the WAL is being retained with a reason. The
> connection is working properly (via psql anyway)

I once maybe had a similar problem due to some ports that were needed
for replication being firewalled off or respectively the master having
the wrong IP address of the old master (now standby server) or such.

There was absolutely no word anywhere in any log about the problem I was
just seeing the new postgres master not starting up after hours and
hours of waiting after a failover. I somehow found out about the
required port being blocked (I don't remember - maybe seing the
unanswered SYNs in tcpdump? Or via ufw log entries?).

> I will also look into how to diagnose this from the system tables, e.g.
> substracting LSN's to get some quantitative measure  for the lag.
>     There is a path in the postgresql source user subscription folder
>     iirc which covers various logical replication scenarios.
>     That may help you just in case.
> OK, so comments in the source code you mean?

Re: WAL accumulating, Logical Replication pg 13

Willy-Bas Loos-3
Hi, I was going to follow up on this one, sorry for the long silence.
The replication is working fine now, and I have no idea what the problem was. Not cool.
If I find out, I will let you know.

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 6:06 PM Tomas Pospisek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Willy-Bas Loos,

On 31.05.21 17:32, Willy-Bas Loos wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Vijaykumar Jain
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     So I got it all wrong it seems :)
> Thank you for taking the time to help me!
>     You upgraded to pg13 fine? , but while on pg13 you have issues with
>     logical replication ?
> Yes, the upgrade went fine. So here are some details:
> I already had londiste running on postgres 9.3, but londiste wouldn't
> run on Debian 10
> So i first made the new server Debian 9 with postgres 9.6 and i started
> replicating with londiste from 9.3 to 9.6
> When all was ready, i stopped the replication to the 9.6 server and
> deleted all londiste & pgq content with drop schema cascade.
> Then I upgraded the server to Debian  10. Then i user pg_upgrade to
> upgrade from postgres 9.6 to 13. (PostGIS versions were kept compatible).
> Then I added logical replication and a third server as a subscriber.
> I was going to write that replication is working fine (since the table
> contains a lot of data and there are no conflicts in the log), but it
> turns out that it isn't.
> The subscriber is behind and It looks like there hasn't been any
> incoming data after the initial data synchronization.
> So at least now i know that the WAL is being retained with a reason. The
> connection is working properly (via psql anyway)

I once maybe had a similar problem due to some ports that were needed
for replication being firewalled off or respectively the master having
the wrong IP address of the old master (now standby server) or such.

There was absolutely no word anywhere in any log about the problem I was
just seeing the new postgres master not starting up after hours and
hours of waiting after a failover. I somehow found out about the
required port being blocked (I don't remember - maybe seing the
unanswered SYNs in tcpdump? Or via ufw log entries?).

> I will also look into how to diagnose this from the system tables, e.g.
> substracting LSN's to get some quantitative measure  for the lag.
>     There is a path in the postgresql source user subscription folder
>     iirc which covers various logical replication scenarios.
>     That may help you just in case.
> OK, so comments in the source code you mean?

Willy-Bas Loos