What we need to do

What we need to do

Lætitia Avrot
Hi all,

Welcome to the Postrgres Women mailing-list.

Here's the shortstory of where we are :
  1. Finding a name Images intégrées 1
  2. Writing Postgres Women's purpose (All) Images intégrées 1
  3. Creating a logo (Louise ?) Images intégrées 1
  4. Creating mailing-list (Vik ?) Images intégrées 1
  5. Creating website (Me ? Other interested people ?) Images intégrées 2 Well, we created a Wiki page(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Postgres_Women), a twitter account(https://twitter.com/PostgresWomen), a Facebook page and a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/PostgresWomen).
  6. Creating the administrative structure (french association as for PostgreSQL EU ?)
  7. Define goals and steps to reach them

For the facebook page/group and the twitter account, I will need 2 to 3 volunteers to manage and publish things onit (particularly on facebook as my account is a "fake" one and I never go there).

For the website, I had begun to create something with Go Hugo (https://l_avrot.gitlab.io/postgreswomen/), but then I was told that if we wanted to have an URL as women.postgresql.org, we would need to comply to the postgresql.org identity guidelines. Maybe Sarah can help as she's working on the new postgresql.org website.

If you think of something else we can do, be my guest. Each and every idea is welcome.

Payal Singh-2
  1. Define goals and steps to reach them
Since this is smack in the middle of the conference season, was wondering how many of us will be at pgCon or one of the other conferences? Maybe if enough of us will be attending one of these conferences, we can have an in-person meeting do discuss the steps and goals.

I'm pretty active on twitter. I do have a question though - do we want to publish general postgres news like other postgres accounts do, or does it have to be women focused postgres things?

Thanks,
Payal

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:57 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Welcome to the Postrgres Women mailing-list.

Here's the shortstory of where we are :
  1. Finding a name Images intégrées 1
  2. Writing Postgres Women's purpose (All) Images intégrées 1
  3. Creating a logo (Louise ?) Images intégrées 1
  4. Creating mailing-list (Vik ?) Images intégrées 1
  7. Define goals and steps to reach them

Dian Fay

I don't think there's enough content under the heading of women-focused Postgres stuff to keep this thing going without branching out some. As far as Twitter/social media goes, @postgresmen seem like a decent reference point: they publish general news, showcase interesting projects and useful tools, boost on-topic blog posts, and so forth. Doing that with an eye toward emphasizing and advancing the work women do on+with Postgres and developing a supportive community would be awesome.

I'm starting a new job next week and preparing a talk for NDC Oslo so unfortunately I don't have the spare time to volunteer for anything else at the moment, but thanks Lætitia & Louise for getting this rolling!

Dian

On 04/10/2018 01:31 PM, Payal Singh wrote:
  1. Define goals and steps to reach them

Thanks,
Payal

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:57 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Welcome to the Postrgres Women mailing-list.

Here's the shortstory of where we are :
  1. Finding a name Images intégrées 1
  2. Writing Postgres Women's purpose (All) Images intégrées 1
  3. Creating a logo (Louise ?) Images intégrées 1
  4. Creating mailing-list (Vik ?) Images intégrées 1
  7. Define goals and steps to reach them

Debra Cerda-2
In reply to this post by Payal Singh-2

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Payal Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
  1. Define goals and steps to reach them

We will have several women not only in attendance and speaking at PostgresConf US 2018 next week, but also the majority of our volunteer base is the local Women Who Code NYC chapter. I suggest prioritizing reaching out and engaging women in other open source and coding spaces as well, to foster more interest and growth in Postgres community as a whole and at large.

I'm active on Twitter as @snax and manage FB page and groups. I can support as an admin/publisher/moderator as you need.

Sincerely,
Debbie Cerda
Austin PostgreSQL User Group, Organizer | United States PostgreSQL Association, Secretary and Board Member

Thanks,
Payal

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:57 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Welcome to the Postrgres Women mailing-list.

Here's the shortstory of where we are :
  1. Finding a name Images intégrées 1
  2. Writing Postgres Women's purpose (All) Images intégrées 1
  3. Creating a logo (Louise ?) Images intégrées 1
  4. Creating mailing-list (Vik ?) Images intégrées 1
  7. Define goals and steps to reach them

Lætitia Avrot
In reply to this post by Payal Singh-2

1. Define goals and steps to reach them

I'll be at pgCon. I was wondering if we could give a lightning talk about Postgres Women as we did at PgDay Paris.

to
I think we need to focus on topic related to "women in tech". It doesn't matter if we don't publish a lot, but I don't want our message to be confusing. (It's only my opinion and your welcome to give yours)

Lætitia Avrot
In reply to this post by Dian Fay
Hi Dian,

I might be wrong but I think Postgresmen is related to a russian postgres meetup so their followers are interested in tech news whereas our purpuse is quite different. But maybe I'm wrong...

Lætitia Avrot
In reply to this post by Debra Cerda-2
Hi Debra,

1. Define goals and steps to reach them

Great idea!

Valeria Kaplan
In reply to this post by Lætitia Avrot
Hi All,

Here is my two-cents :)

@Postgresmen is run by Nikolay Samokhvalov and his main focus is indeed tech Pоstgres news. He also organises #RuPostgres meetups. I agree that purely tech news is not exactly what we should focus on since there are many other channels in place focusing on that. Agree on open source / women focus and maybe we can do general tech news/women focus too.

Partially, I think we need to do the last step (Define goals and steps to reach them) first and then we will realise who exactly we need to follow, how broad we should be and what to post overall.

Here is my thinking and please feel free to feedback :)

I am keeping in mind our already defined goal: Postgres Women is a non-profit organization created to encourage and support women to become active members of the PostgreSQL community and foster recognition of their contribution to PostgreSQL development.
  1. We want to increase awareness of our initiative across tech industry (this is broad I know, but I think there is no harm in it) >> To do this we could follow major women's initiatives in tech on twitter/facebook in hope they will follow us and we will boost each-other's content aka get a wider reach/awareness. Note: we could also get ideas on what initiatives we could do from their pages.
  2. We would like to raise awareness of contribution of women in Postgres >> @planetpostgres has a good flow of all news related to Postgres development, ideally we would retweet women-led contributions (blog posts, patch announcements etc.)
  3. We would like to encourage women to become active members in the community >> any big conferences in north America, Europe and Asia have their own twitter channels and announce relevant talks/blogs, we could take that content and amplify women in it (retweet announcements about women speakers, solicit content from those women for our channels e.g. interviews, focus posts, opinion posts etc.)
Reg face to face meeting, unfortunately I won't be there but if you will be meeting there maybe others might join via skype/slack/whatsapp?

thoughts?

Valeria

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dian,

Debra Cerda-2
Defining the vision of the group is also important, in regards to the role and contributions of men.

How do you envision a typical Postgres Women meetup to go?

For example, Women Who Code membership is restricted to women and people who identify as women, with men excluded from the majority of gatherings. This approach provides women with a comfortable space to empower one another and foster growth, but in my opinion alienates potential allies and supporters.

On the other hand, when I had opened a dialogue last year about creating an international group of women in Postgres, I was met with enthusiasm mostly from men stating "OH! We can do this, and this, and..." Which was appreciated, but why not let women be the catalysts and the leaders? IMO, we need allies and supporters, not "white knights" -- give us guidance, but let us do the heavy lifting.

As a female professional with a "portfolio" career in no less than 4 male-dominated industries -- Postgres, craft beer, water, and film! -- I've observed and been involved in a broad spectrum of approaches in creating diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Setting your goals and tactics are the first step to building a strong foundation and achieving your overall mission.

Respectfully,
Debbie

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM, Valeria Kaplan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Here is my two-cents :)

Here is my thinking and please feel free to feedback :)

thoughts?

Valeria

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dian,

Dian Fay
In reply to this post by Lætitia Avrot

I am also interested in tech news though! And there is no women-focused coverage of Postgres news & discussion at the moment, at least that I'm aware of. Stepping into that gap may not be directly what this group is about, but like Valeria says it helps maintain and expand our presence, which we need in order to accomplish our overall goal.

On 04/11/2018 02:53 AM, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
Hi Dian,

Payal Singh-2
In reply to this post by Debra Cerda-2

1. Define goals and steps to reach them

I think that's a good idea. We should definitely do that.

Great idea!

Getting more women interested and exposed to Postgres should be our top priority, closely followed by the need for a welcoming and warm community to make sure those women choose to stay :) Never one to complain, BUT I can't say I haven't felt isolated and lonely at times especially when at a postgres conference surrounded by all men. I have also been told I'm not the only one who feels this way by other women I've spoken to. These two goals - 1. Attracting more women to Postgres and 2. Making a healthy community where women feel represented should be our starting goal to focus on.

I would agree involving men is a good idea. The purpose of the group is to make women feel welcomed, and alienating men seems unnecessary in that regard, if not counter-productive.

I am keeping in mind our already defined goal: Postgres Women is a non-profit organization created to encourage and support women to become active members of the PostgreSQL community and foster recognition of their contribution to PostgreSQL development.
  1. We want to increase awareness of our initiative across tech industry (this is broad I know, but I think there is no harm in it) >> To do this we could follow major women's initiatives in tech on twitter/facebook in hope they will follow us and we will boost each-other's content aka get a wider reach/awareness. Note: we could also get ideas on what initiatives we could do from their pages.
  2. We would like to raise awareness of contribution of women in Postgres >> @planetpostgres has a good flow of all news related to Postgres development, ideally we would retweet women-led contributions (blog posts, patch announcements etc.)
  3. We would like to encourage women to become active members in the community >> any big conferences in north America, Europe and Asia have their own twitter channels and announce relevant talks/blogs, we could take that content and amplify women in it (retweet announcements about women speakers, solicit content from those women for our channels e.g. interviews, focus posts, opinion posts etc.)

Yes, I was thinking on slightly similar lines - the easiest way to start is to try to collect postgres blog posts written by women and post them on our twitter feeds. And from there, once we can get our own webpage, we can probably have a subset of planet postgresql feeds publishing women authored posts. Same goes for conference talks.

I also think that little things like anyone asking on slack channel "who's attending <blah> conference?" will be helpful. Probably not something we can do right off the bat, but having swag such a postgres_women stickers to have at the postgres booth in conferences will go a long way in getting the name out and making new women feel welcomed (I like PyWomen initiatives).

PyLadies also has an  extra day at the end of some python conferences to hold official meetups and workshops for women, of course I don't expect us to do this right away, but just laying out the possibilities and the need for such a community. ( http://www.pyladies.com/ )

Fair point. My initial concern regarding other similar postgres twitter accounts was mainly so we're not just left replicating their tweets the whole time. I think we can start slow, that is, tweet selective articles, and guage the response (retweets, views, etc.) and go from there.

One last thing, I believe if we want new women to approach postgres through this community, we can't reply on them subscribing to mailing lists or even the postgres wiki page. For daily interaction with newcomers, I think the most accessible way to get them in is via slack, so I propose we put our slack channel in our postgres_women mentions as the first way to become a member. Just putting myself in the shoes of a fresh college grad, I'd be much more inclined to check out a community if I can just sign up on a popular chat tool (slack) as opposed to subscribing to a mailing list. Once they're in Slack, I'm sure we can get them to become 'real' community members by making a postgres account :)

I am speaking at a couple of upcoming conferences and was thinking of adding a mention of postgres_women in my last thank you slide to get the word out. Yay or nay? Maybe other speakers can do the same.

Thanks,
Payal

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Debra Cerda <[hidden email]> wrote:

How do you envision a typical Postgres Women meetup to go?

Respectfully,
Debbie

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM, Valeria Kaplan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Here is my two-cents :)

Here is my thinking and please feel free to feedback :)

thoughts?

Valeria

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dian,

Boriss Mejias
In reply to this post by Debra Cerda-2
Hi all,

First of all, disclaimer, I'm a man trying to contribute here (but you obviously
already deduced that from the name)

Debra Cerda wrote on 11-04-18 17:53:
> Defining the vision of the group is also important, in regards to the role and
> contributions of men.

Some years ago I helped founding a group in the Alfresco community with the
mission to guarantee that the software would remain open source (Alfresco is
commercial open source and at the time we had the fear it would go close source).

One of the first steps was to identify the "vision", "mission" and "goals". In
my understanding, a "vision" is what you want to be or become. It's better when
it's inclusive because you want people involved and be part of it. A "goal" is
something concrete, aligned with the vision, that can be achieved and divided
into steps. The "mission" is also aligned with the vision and helps you define
the next goal once you achieve them (or discard them). So, one vision, one
mission, and several goals (but not too many, we want to achieve them one by one).

Taking that into account, I think "encourage and support women to become active
members of the PostgreSQL community" is a great mission, because it helps to
define goals after goals. It's a constant activity. One never finishes
encouraging and supporting. So, +1 to that as mission.

Coming back to Debra's comment, what would be the "vision" of the organization?

> [...]
> On the other hand, when I had opened a dialogue last year about creating an
> international group of women in Postgres, I was met with enthusiasm mostly from
> men stating "OH! We can do this, and this, and..." Which was appreciated, but
> why not let women be the catalysts and the leaders? IMO, we need allies and
> supporters, not "white knights" -- give us guidance, but let us do the heavy
> lifting.

I agree on this. Women has to be the catalysts and leader of this. Men should be
able to help and provide feedback, and most importantly, talk to other men about
how women contribute to our Postgres community.

In the next reply, Payal Signh wrote the following:

"I would agree involving men is a good idea. The purpose of the group is to make
counter-productive. "

I think excluding men from PostgresWomen as an organization can be
counter-productive because it can create the feeling that it's a fight between
two groups. I know it is not, but perception matters.

I think excluding men from certain activities can be positive in the goal of
good thing. Women-only Hackathon can also help in making women feel welcomed.

Those are my current thoughts.
Cheers
Boriss

> As a female professional with a "portfolio" career in no less than 4
> male-dominated industries -- Postgres, craft beer, water, and film! -- I've
> observed and been involved in a broad spectrum of approaches in creating
> diversity, equity, and inclusion.
> Setting your goals and tactics are the first step to building a strong
> foundation and achieving your overall mission.
> Respectfully,
> Debbie
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM, Valeria Kaplan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     Hi All,
>     Here is my two-cents :)
>     @Postgresmen is run by Nikolay Samokhvalov and his main focus is indeed tech
>     Pоstgres news. He also organises #RuPostgres meetups. I agree that purely
>     tech news is not exactly what we should focus on since there are many other
>     channels in place focusing on that. Agree on open source / women focus and
>     maybe we can do general tech news/women focus too.
>     Partially, I think we need to do the last step (/Define goals and steps to
>     reach them/) first and then we will realise who exactly we need to follow,
>     how broad we should be and what to post overall.
>     Here is my thinking and please feel free to feedback :)
>     I am keeping in mind our already defined goal: Postgres Women is a
>     non-profit organization created to*encourage and support women to become
>     active members of the PostgreSQL community*and *foster recognition of their
>     contribution to PostgreSQL*development.
>      1. We want to *increase awareness of our initiative across tech industry
>         *(this is broad I know, but I think there is no harm in it) >> To do
>         this we could follow major women's initiatives in tech on
>         twitter/facebook in hope they will follow us and we will boost
>         each-other's content aka get a wider reach/awareness. Note: we could
>         also get ideas on what initiatives we could do from their pages.
>      2. We would like to *raise awareness of contribution of women in
>         Postgres*>> @planetpostgres has a good flow of all news related to
>         Postgres development, ideally we would retweet women-led contributions
>         (blog posts, patch announcements etc.)
>      3. We would like to *encourage women to become active members in the
>         community *>> any big conferences in north America, Europe and Asia have
>         their own twitter channels and announce relevant talks/blogs, we could
>         take that content and amplify women in it (retweet announcements about
>         women speakers, solicit content from those women for our channels e.g.
>         interviews, focus posts, opinion posts etc.)
>     Reg face to face meeting, unfortunately I won't be there but if you will be
>     meeting there maybe others might join via skype/slack/whatsapp?
>     thoughts?
>     Valeria
>     On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>         Hi Dian,
>             I don't think there's enough content under the heading of
>             women-focused Postgres stuff to keep this thing going without
>             branching out some. As far as Twitter/social media goes,
>             @postgresmen seem like a decent reference point: they publish
>             general news, showcase interesting projects and useful tools, boost
>             on-topic blog posts, and so forth. Doing that with an eye toward
>             emphasizing and advancing the work women do on+with Postgres and
>             developing a supportive community would be awesome.
>         I might be wrong but I think Postgresmen is related to a russian
>         postgres meetup so their followers are interested in tech news whereas
>         our purpuse is quite different. But maybe I'm wrong...
>         Cheers,
>         Lætitia

Debra Cerda-2
Boriss,

huge +1 to everything that you’ve added here.

Thank you for your understanding and insight!!

Debbie

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 5:47 PM Boriss Mejias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

already deduced that from the name)

Debra Cerda wrote on 11-04-18 17:53:
> contributions of men.

Some years ago I helped founding a group in the Alfresco community with the
mission to guarantee that the software would remain open source (Alfresco is

One of the first steps was to identify the "vision", "mission" and "goals". In
my understanding, a "vision" is what you want to be or become. It's better when
it's inclusive because you want people involved and be part of it. A "goal" is
something concrete, aligned with the vision, that can be achieved and divided
into steps. The "mission" is also aligned with the vision and helps you define
the next goal once you achieve them (or discard them). So, one vision, one

Taking that into account, I think "encourage and support women to become active
members of the PostgreSQL community" is a great mission, because it helps to
define goals after goals. It's a constant activity. One never finishes
encouraging and supporting. So, +1 to that as mission.

Coming back to Debra's comment, what would be the "vision" of the organization?

> [...]
> On the other hand, when I had opened a dialogue last year about creating an
> men stating "OH! We can do this, and this, and..." Which was appreciated, but
> why not let women be the catalysts and the leaders? IMO, we need allies and
> supporters, not "white knights" -- give us guidance, but let us do the heavy
> lifting.

how women contribute to our Postgres community.

In the next reply, Payal Signh wrote the following:

counter-productive. "

I think excluding men from PostgresWomen as an organization can be
counter-productive because it can create the feeling that it's a fight between
two groups. I know it is not, but perception matters.

I think excluding men from certain activities can be positive in the goal of
good thing. Women-only Hackathon can also help in making women feel welcomed.

Those are my current thoughts.
Cheers
Boriss

> As a female professional with a "portfolio" career in no less than 4
> male-dominated industries -- Postgres, craft beer, water, and film! -- I've
> observed and been involved in a broad spectrum of approaches in creating
> diversity, equity, and inclusion.
> Setting your goals and tactics are the first step to building a strong
> foundation and achieving your overall mission.
> Respectfully,
> Debbie
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM, Valeria Kaplan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     Hi All,
>     Here is my two-cents :)
>     @Postgresmen is run by Nikolay Samokhvalov and his main focus is indeed tech
>     Pоstgres news. He also organises #RuPostgres meetups. I agree that purely
>     tech news is not exactly what we should focus on since there are many other
>     channels in place focusing on that. Agree on open source / women focus and
>     maybe we can do general tech news/women focus too.
>     Partially, I think we need to do the last step (/Define goals and steps to
>     reach them/) first and then we will realise who exactly we need to follow,
>     how broad we should be and what to post overall.
>     Here is my thinking and please feel free to feedback :)
>     I am keeping in mind our already defined goal: Postgres Women is a
>     non-profit organization created to*encourage and support women to become
>     active members of the PostgreSQL community*and *foster recognition of their
>     contribution to PostgreSQL*development.
>      1. We want to *increase awareness of our initiative across tech industry
>         *(this is broad I know, but I think there is no harm in it) >> To do
>         this we could follow major women's initiatives in tech on
>         twitter/facebook in hope they will follow us and we will boost
>         each-other's content aka get a wider reach/awareness. Note: we could
>         also get ideas on what initiatives we could do from their pages.
>      2. We would like to *raise awareness of contribution of women in
>         Postgres*>> @planetpostgres has a good flow of all news related to
>         Postgres development, ideally we would retweet women-led contributions
>         (blog posts, patch announcements etc.)
>      3. We would like to *encourage women to become active members in the
>         community *>> any big conferences in north America, Europe and Asia have
>         their own twitter channels and announce relevant talks/blogs, we could
>         take that content and amplify women in it (retweet announcements about
>         women speakers, solicit content from those women for our channels e.g.
>         interviews, focus posts, opinion posts etc.)
>     Reg face to face meeting, unfortunately I won't be there but if you will be
>     meeting there maybe others might join via skype/slack/whatsapp?
>     thoughts?
>     Valeria
>     On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>         Hi Dian,
>             I don't think there's enough content under the heading of
>             women-focused Postgres stuff to keep this thing going without
>             branching out some. As far as Twitter/social media goes,
>             @postgresmen seem like a decent reference point: they publish
>             general news, showcase interesting projects and useful tools, boost
>             on-topic blog posts, and so forth. Doing that with an eye toward
>             emphasizing and advancing the work women do on+with Postgres and
>             developing a supportive community would be awesome.
>         I might be wrong but I think Postgresmen is related to a russian
>         postgres meetup so their followers are interested in tech news whereas
>         our purpuse is quite different. But maybe I'm wrong...
>         Cheers,
>         Lætitia

Lætitia Avrot
In reply to this post by Valeria Kaplan
Hi Valeria,

I love those 3 points. It's simple, clever and efficient!

Lætitia Avrot
In reply to this post by Debra Cerda-2
Hi Debra,

I strongly disagree with that vision. There is plenty of room for women and men in this community (and world). To ban men from our group would send a hostile message. The other reason is that the under-representation of women in our comunity should matter to both men and women.

Again, I disagree with this vision. Anyone (men or women) that want to force their vision to our group should be explained that it's not the way we work. Trying to prevent that kind of behavior is being fear-controled and to my pointof view it will only lead to bad action.
Assuming it will come from men is simply gender bias.

My vision is that we want anyone, whatever sexe they identity themself, to be comfortable to discuss their ideas. We want smart ideas abd to have that, we need everyone. No exclusion.

Lætitia Avrot
In reply to this post by Boriss Mejias
Hi Boriss

I think excluding men from certain activities can be positive in the goal of making women feel welcomed. For instance: Women-only IRC/Slack channels can be a good thing. Women-only Hackathon can also help in making women feel welcomed.

I strongly disagree. I want everyone to feel welcome, whatever their gender is. If you start creating little worlds without men, first you exclude people and that's a negative message to give and then it's totally artificial as our world is populated with both men and women. So if we feel there is a problem with with women representation in our community, we need to find a solution together. Men and women both have brain, so they can both come with creative ideas.

Valeria Kaplan
Agree with Lætitia,
It doesn't matter what sex you are or feel that you belong to, everyone should feel welcomed in our group and activities. In my opinion, excluding men in any way would be contra-productive. As if to say, "you are not a woman - you can't contribute" or "you will be too pushy". Those are the exact assumptions we are striving to break, no?

another ++ to: Anyone (men or women) that want to force their vision to our group should be explained that it's not the way we work.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Boriss

Debra Cerda-2

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:51 AM Valeria Kaplan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Agree with Lætitia,

Please note these scenarios were mostly observations and not my beliefs. Indeed, most of my professional mentors have been men.

It’s wonderful and humbling to have past male colleagues reach out and ask for my advice and help in diversifying their workforce, or building up their female staff through female centric professional organizations. Paying it forward however I can.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Boriss

elein

A little history. I had tried to create a postgres-women mailing list several years ago. I wanted it to be women only, a la systers, and once established possibly opening to anyone. I felt the time to forge our space was important.

I was not included on most mail in the discussions with the committee. And so was prevented from arguing my case. I also received vicious personal emails.

I have worked as a woman in tech for 30+ years. I have worked on productized and open source postgres since 1992.

I have happily worked with many postgres men. But the vitriol about our list was beyond the pale.

With all that said, carry on in your best way and I will support you.

Elein Mustain
510-637-9106

On Apr 12, 2018, at 10:33 AM, Debra Cerda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:51 AM Valeria Kaplan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Agree with Lætitia,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM, Lætitia Avrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Boriss

Boriss Mejias
In reply to this post by Lætitia Avrot
Hi Lætitia,

Sorry for the late reply (almost a week already, times flies). Here are my thoughts.

I understand that we agree that as an organization, we better work on this
together, women and men. That was my first paragraph about. This seems to be
kind of a consensus in the group, so I feel welcome to participate and contribute.

More comments here below regarding the part where we disagree.

Lætitia Avrot wrote on 12-04-18 13:48:

> Hi Boriss
>     I think excluding men from certain activities can be positive in the goal of
>     making women feel welcomed. For instance: Women-only IRC/Slack channels can
>     be a good thing. Women-only Hackathon can also help in making women feel
>     welcomed.
> I strongly disagree. I want everyone to feel welcome, whatever their gender is.
> If you start creating little worlds without men, first you exclude people and
> that's a negative message to give and then it's totally artificial as our world
> is populated with both men and women.

I understand your concern, and I know you don't have problems participating in a
world with mostly men. I saw your presentation at FOSDEM and you didn't seem
intimidated at all. But for some women, maybe it is better to give some steps in
a community removing some of the barriers (fictionally, I agree), but as an
intermediate step, not as a fake reality, nor as a goal.

When I was in academia we often discussed the fact that so few women study
informatics. A professor told us that their statistics (sorry I don't have them
to confirm) showed that the percentage of women studying engineering was smaller
if they were coming from a mixed-school, than from a girls-only school. Their
conclusion was that women in a girls-only school didn't developed the idea that
computers and science was a boy-thing, so they wouldn't be affected by that
cliché when making a choice for their studies.

> So if we feel there is a problem with with
> women representation in our community, we need to find a solution together.

Absolutely. I started reading "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg (I like it a lot by
the way). She insists that this is something we have to work on together. She
also tells some stories of her experience speaking and participating in
women-only events, with very good results.

Note that I'm not saying that creating women-only activities is the solution. I
just feel we don't have to discard them a priori, because they seem to have a
benefit for some women in the long run, as an intermediate step. I think we
should evaluate this when there is a more concrete proposal.

Cheers
Boriss

> Men
> and women both have brain, so they can both come with creative ideas.
> Cheers,