color by default

color by default

Peter Eisentraut-6
With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
default in PG13.

For those who don't like color output, I also add support for the
environment variable NO_COLOR, which is an emerging standard for turning
off color across different software packages (https://no-color.org/).
Of course, you can also continue to use the PG_COLOR variable.

I have looked around how other packages do the automatic color
detection.  It's usually a combination of mysterious termcap stuff and
slightly less mysterious matching of the TERM variable against a list of
known terminal types.  I figured we can skip the termcap stuff and still
get really good coverage in practice, so that's what I did.

I have also added a documentation appendix to explain all of this.
(Perhaps we should now remove the repetitive mention of the PG_COLOR
variable in each man page, but I haven't done that in this patch.)

I'm aware of the pending patch to improve color support on Windows.
I'll check that one out as well, but it appears to be orthogonal to this
one.

Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

0001-Use-colors-by-default.patch (8K) Download Attachment

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 11:40 AM Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm aware of the pending patch to improve color support on Windows.
I'll check that one out as well, but it appears to be orthogonal to this
one.

Actually I think it would be better to rebase that patch on top of this, as the Windows function enable_vt_mode() incorporates the logic of both isatty() and terminal_supports_color() by enabling CMDs support of VT100 escape codes.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

In reply to this post by Peter Eisentraut-6
Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
> default in PG13.

FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.
I wonder how many people there are who actually *like* colored output?
I find it to be invariably less readable than plain B&W text.

I may well be in the minority, but I think some kind of straw poll
might be advisable, rather than doing this just because.

Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 7:35 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
> default in PG13.

FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.
I wonder how many people there are who actually *like* colored output?
I find it to be invariably less readable than plain B&W text.

I may well be in the minority, but I think some kind of straw poll
might be advisable, rather than doing this just because.

Daniel Gustafsson
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
> On 31 Dec 2019, at 14:35, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
>> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
>> default in PG13.
> FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.

Me too.

> I may well be in the minority, but I think some kind of straw poll
> might be advisable, rather than doing this just because.

cheers ./daniel

Andreas Joseph Krogh-2
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
På tirsdag 31. desember 2019 kl. 14:35:39, skrev Tom Lane <[hidden email]>:
Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
> default in PG13.

FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.
I wonder how many people there are who actually *like* colored output?
I find it to be invariably less readable than plain B&W text.

I may well be in the minority, but I think some kind of straw poll
might be advisable, rather than doing this just because.

It's easier to spot errors/warnings when they are colored/emphasized imo. Much like colored output from grep/diff; We humans have colored vision for a reason.

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Alvaro Herrera-9
On 2019-Dec-31, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> It's easier to spot errors/warnings when they are colored/emphasized imo. Much
> like colored output from grep/diff; We humans have colored vision for a reason.

I do use color output (and find it useful), for that reason.

I'm not sure that the documentation addition properly describes the
logic to be used; if it does, I'm not sure that the logic is really what
we want.  Is the logic in the docs supposed to be "last rule that
matches wins" or "first rule that matches wins"?  I think that should be
explicit.  Do we want to have NO_COLORS override the TERM heuristics?
(I'm pretty sure we do.)  OTOH we also want PG_COLORS to override
NO_COLORS.

Per https://no-colors.org (thanks for the link) it seems pretty clear
that people who don't want colors should be already setting NO_COLORS,
and everyone would be happy.  It's not just PG programs that are
colorizing stuff.

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Isaac Morland
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 10:18, Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

Per https://no-colors.org (thanks for the link) it seems pretty clear

Jose Luis Tallon
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On 31/12/19 14:35, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
>> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
>> default in PG13.
> FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.
> I wonder how many people there are who actually *like* colored output?
> I find it to be invariably less readable than plain B&W text.
> I may well be in the minority, but I think some kind of straw poll
> might be advisable, rather than doing this just because.

...and Happy New Year!

/ J.L.

Gavin Flower-2
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On 01/01/2020 02:35, Tom Lane wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
>> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
>> default in PG13.
> FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.
> I wonder how many people there are who actually *like* colored output?
> I find it to be invariably less readable than plain B&W text.
> I may well be in the minority, but I think some kind of straw poll
> might be advisable, rather than doing this just because.
> regards, tom lane
I find coloured output very difficult to read, as the colours seem to be
chosen on the basis everyone uses white as the background colour for
terminals -- whereas I use black, as do a lot of other people.

Cheers,
Gavin

Robert Haas
On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Gavin Flower
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I find coloured output very difficult to read, as the colours seem to be
> chosen on the basis everyone uses white as the background colour for
> terminals -- whereas I use black, as do a lot of other people.

I don't like colored output either.

(It is, however, probably not a surprise to anyone that I am
old-school in many regards, so how much my opinion ought to count is
debatable. I still use \pset linestyle old-ascii when I remember to
set it, use vi to edit, with hjkl rather than arrow keys, and almost
always prefer a CLI to a GUI when I have the option. I have conceded
the utility of indoor heat and plumbing, though, so maybe there's hope
for me yet.)

Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Jeff Janes
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 8:35 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <[hidden email]> writes:
> With the attached patch, I propose to enable the colored output by
> default in PG13.

FWIW, I shall be setting NO_COLOR permanently if this gets committed.
I wonder how many people there are who actually *like* colored output?
I find it to be invariably less readable than plain B&W text.

I find color massively useful for grep and its variants, where the hit can show up anywhere on the line.  It was also kind of useful for git, especially "git grep", but on my current system git's colorizing seems hopelessly borked, so I had to turn it off.

But I turned PG_COLOR on and played with many commands, and must say I don't really see much of a point.  When most of these command fail, they only generate a few lines of output, and it isn't hard to spot the error message.  When pg_restore goes wrong, you get a lot of messages but colorizing them isn't really helpful.  I don't need 'error' to show up in red in order to know that I have a lot of errors, especially since the lines which do report errors always have 'error' as the 2nd word on the line, where it isn't hard to spot.  If it could distinguish the important errors from unimportant errors, that would be more helpful.  But if it could reliably do that, why print the unimportant ones at all?

It doesn't seem like this is useful enough to have it on by default, and without it being on by default there is no point in having NO_COLOR to turn if off.  There is something to be said for going with the flow, but the "emerging standard" seems like it has quite a bit further to emerge before I think that would be an important reason.

Cheers,

Jeff

Michael Paquier-2
In reply to this post by Robert Haas
On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 01:10:30PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Gavin Flower
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I find coloured output very difficult to read, as the colours seem to be
>> chosen on the basis everyone uses white as the background colour for
>> terminals -- whereas I use black, as do a lot of other people.
> I don't like colored output either.

I don't like colored output either.  However there is an easy way to
disable that so applying this patch does not change things IMO as
anybody unhappy with colors can just disable it with a one-liner in
a bashrc or such.
Michael

Gavin Flower-2
On 06/01/2020 18:38, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 01:10:30PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Gavin Flower
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I find coloured output very difficult to read, as the colours seem to be
>>> chosen on the basis everyone uses white as the background colour for
>>> terminals -- whereas I use black, as do a lot of other people.
>> I don't like colored output either.
> I don't like colored output either.  However there is an easy way to
> disable that so applying this patch does not change things IMO as
> anybody unhappy with colors can just disable it with a one-liner in
> a bashrc or such.
> --
> Michael

That's kind of like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The colour in grep output is often useful.

I'd like to control it per application.

Cheers,
Gavin

Juan José Santamaría Flecha
The patch to improve color support on Windows has been commited [1], and I would like to share some of the discussion there that might affect this patch.

- The documentation/comments could make a better job of explaining the case of PG_COLOR equals 'always', explicitly saying that no checks are done about the output channel.

Aside from the decision about what the default coloring behaviour should be, there are parts of this patch that could be applied independently, as an improvement on the current state.

- The new function terminal_supports_color() should also apply when PG_COLOR is 'auto', to minimize the chances of seeing escape characters in the user terminal.

- The new entry in the documentation, specially as the PG_COLORS parameter seems to be currently undocumented. The programs that can use PG_COLOR would benefit from getting a link to it.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200302064842.GE32059%40paquier.xyz

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

Michael Paquier-2
On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 01:00:44PM +0100, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
> - The new entry in the documentation, specially as the PG_COLORS parameter
> seems to be currently undocumented. The programs that can use PG_COLOR
> would benefit from getting a link to it.

The actual problem here is that we don't have an actual centralized
place where we could put that stuff.  And anything able to use this
option is basically anything using src/common/logging.c.

Regarding PG_COLORS, the commit message of cc8d415 mentions it, but we
have no actual example of how to use it, and the original thread has
zero reference to it:

And in fact, it took me a while to figure out that using it is a mix
of three keywords ("error", "warning" or "locus") separated by colons
which need to have an equal sign to the color defined.  Here is for
example how to make the locus show up in yellow with errors in blue:
export PG_COLORS='error=01;34:locus=01;33'

Having to dig into the code to find out that stuff is not a good user
experience.  And I found out about that only because I worked on a
patch touching this area yesterday.
Michael

Bruce Momjian
On Tue, Mar  3, 2020 at 02:31:01PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 01:00:44PM +0100, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
> > - The new entry in the documentation, specially as the PG_COLORS parameter
> > seems to be currently undocumented. The programs that can use PG_COLOR
> > would benefit from getting a link to it.
> The actual problem here is that we don't have an actual centralized
> place where we could put that stuff.  And anything able to use this
> option is basically anything using src/common/logging.c.
> Regarding PG_COLORS, the commit message of cc8d415 mentions it, but we
> have no actual example of how to use it, and the original thread has
> zero reference to it:
> And in fact, it took me a while to figure out that using it is a mix
> of three keywords ("error", "warning" or "locus") separated by colons
> which need to have an equal sign to the color defined.  Here is for
> example how to make the locus show up in yellow with errors in blue:
> export PG_COLORS='error=01;34:locus=01;33'
> Having to dig into the code to find out that stuff is not a good user
> experience.  And I found out about that only because I worked on a
> patch touching this area yesterday.

I can confirm there is still no mention of PG_COLORS in our
documentation.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Bruce Momjian
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:15:57PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Tue, Mar  3, 2020 at 02:31:01PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 01:00:44PM +0100, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
> > > - The new entry in the documentation, specially as the PG_COLORS parameter
> > > seems to be currently undocumented. The programs that can use PG_COLOR
> > > would benefit from getting a link to it.
> > The actual problem here is that we don't have an actual centralized
> > place where we could put that stuff.  And anything able to use this
> > option is basically anything using src/common/logging.c.
> > Regarding PG_COLORS, the commit message of cc8d415 mentions it, but we
> > have no actual example of how to use it, and the original thread has
> > zero reference to it:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/6a609b43-4f57-7348-6480-bd022f924310@...
> > And in fact, it took me a while to figure out that using it is a mix
> > of three keywords ("error", "warning" or "locus") separated by colons
> > which need to have an equal sign to the color defined.  Here is for
> > example how to make the locus show up in yellow with errors in blue:
> > export PG_COLORS='error=01;34:locus=01;33'
> > Having to dig into the code to find out that stuff is not a good user
> > experience.  And I found out about that only because I worked on a
> > patch touching this area yesterday.
> I can confirm there is still no mention of PG_COLORS in our
> documentation.

My mistake, PG_COLOR (not PG_COLORS) is documented properly.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I can confirm there is still no mention of PG_COLORS in our
>> documentation.

> My mistake, PG_COLOR (not PG_COLORS) is documented properly.

Yeah, but the point is precisely that pg_logging_init()
also responds to PG_COLORS, which is not documented anywhere.

Bruce Momjian
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:15:07PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> writes:
> >> I can confirm there is still no mention of PG_COLORS in our
> >> documentation.
> > My mistake, PG_COLOR (not PG_COLORS) is documented properly.
> Yeah, but the point is precisely that pg_logging_init()
> also responds to PG_COLORS, which is not documented anywhere.

Oh, I thought it was a typo.  OK, so it still an open item.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us