could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

Murali Paramu
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
സ്നേഹാദരങ്ങളോടെ
ഐ.പി.മുരളി
thanks & regards,
i.p.murali

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

Rahul Saha
Hi Murali,

Is the 9,4 instance up and running? Check ps -ef|grep -i postgres | grep 5432

Check few other settings if not connecting locally like 
#listen_addresses = 'localhost'(making to *) or pg_hba.conf settings.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:53 PM Murali Paramu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
സ്നേഹാദരങ്ങളോടെ
ഐ.പി.മുരളി
thanks & regards,
i.p.murali



--
Thanks & Regards
Rahul Saha

+91 8806351116
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

David G Johnston
In reply to this post by Murali Paramu
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:23 AM Murali Paramu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?



So what is the configuration in pgAdmin for its connection to the 9.4 server?  You need to make your psql invocation match.

David J.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

Jeff Janes
In reply to this post by Murali Paramu
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Murali Paramu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?



Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of  /var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always use -h 127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.

Cheers,

Jeff 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

zurich
Have you checked the local settings in the pg_hba.conf as this will affect permitted access.

You can compare what is set differently between the different versions of postgreSQL.

Cheers

Peter

On 2/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, "Jeff Janes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Murali Paramu
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Team,
>> I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
>> both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
>> But through psql I can connect only to 12.1
>>
>> when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *$ psql -U postgres -p 5432psql: error: could not connect to
>server: could
>> not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server
>running
>> locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket
>> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?*
>>
>>
>Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of
>/var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always
>use -h
>127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jeff



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

abbas alizadeh
In reply to this post by Jeff Janes
Hi.
You should use the right psql for version 9.4.
In linux run “which psql” to see which version is used to connect

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2020, at 01:11, Jeff Janes <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Murali Paramu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?



Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of  /var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always use -h 127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.

Cheers,

Jeff 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: could not connect via psql to 9.4 version

Murali Paramu
Thank you all guys for the help...
when i use right psql it connected.
/opt/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin$ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin/psql -U postgres

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 3:22 PM abbas alizadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
You should use the right psql for version 9.4.
In linux run “which psql” to see which version is used to connect

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2020, at 01:11, Jeff Janes <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Murali Paramu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Team,
I have two versions of PostgreSQL 9.4 and 12.1
both servers can be connected through pgAdmin.
But through psql I can connect only to 12.1

when i connect to 9.4 got below error:
$ psql -U postgres -p 5432
psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?



Perhaps 9.4 is configured to put its socket file in /tmp instead of  /var/run/postgresql/.  You can try -h /tmp, or you can just always use -h 127.0.0.1, then you don't need to worry where the socket file is.

Cheers,

Jeff 


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
സ്നേഹാദരങ്ങളോടെ
ഐ.പി.മുരളി
thanks & regards,
i.p.murali