disable create server

disable create server

Pavy Manuel
Hello,

I'm new in the pgadmin list.
I try to deploy pgadmin4 on my company but I want to manage the connections (server in pgadmin) the users can create.
So, I've found the line 84 of pgadmin/dashboard/templates/dashboard/welcome_dashboard.html to disable the link :
<a href="#" onclick="pgAdmin.Dashboard.add_new_server()">

, but I don't find how to disable the context menu in the right of the dashboard (each try has no impact on the application, perhaps caused by some cache or something like that).

Can someone help me please ? Is there any other way to do what I want ?

Thanks,

Manuel Pavy

Re: disable create server

Khushboo Vashi

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:56 AM Pavy Manuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm new in the pgadmin list.
<a href="#" onclick="pgAdmin.Dashboard.add_new_server()">

Can someone help me please ? Is there any other way to do what I want ?

I didn't get the idea of stopping users to create servers. If any user has database access (may be limited) then he should be able to create it and manage it as pgAdmin just connects the database with the given details in the server dialog.

Thanks,
Khushboo

Thanks,

Manuel Pavy

Re: disable create server

Dave Page-7

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:24 AM Khushboo Vashi <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:56 AM Pavy Manuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm new in the pgadmin list.
<a href="#" onclick="pgAdmin.Dashboard.add_new_server()">

Can someone help me please ? Is there any other way to do what I want ?

It seems like a reasonable request to me - for example, to stop students adding random servers to a shared instance of pgAdmin that they're only supposed to be using for coursework.

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: disable create server

Ashesh Vashi
On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:01 PM Dave Page <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:24 AM Khushboo Vashi <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:56 AM Pavy Manuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm new in the pgadmin list.
<a href="#" onclick="pgAdmin.Dashboard.add_new_server()">
pgAdmin saves server list per user.
You may need to keep that in mind.

Can someone help me please ? Is there any other way to do what I want ?

Agreed.

-- Thanks, Ashesh

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

RE: disable create server

Pavy Manuel

Thank you all.

<a href="#" onclick="pgAdmin.Dashboard.add_new_server()">

pgAdmin saves server list per user.

You may need to keep that in mind.

Yes I’m aware of that

Agreed.

My need is different : I deploy pgadmin4 in an ansible role which deploy the following (inside the [ ] ) :

User  ---->  [ Apache --->  pgadmin ----> pgbouncer ]  ----->  postgresql backend

And I have a script for adding a server for a specific user which create a pool and add the server tuple in the sqlite3 db.

The benefit is :

- I can serialize the connections (some users open many, many tabs)

- users who do not close their connections are not a problem (thanks to the pgbouncer timeout)

- I can reserve some connection to the production chain

- I can monitor the pool

Since yesterday, I’ve found a (ugly) solution : in the ./pgadmin/static/js/generated/browser_nodes.js, I deactivate the Server action.

But the pretty way should be to create a dedicated profile (in addition of administrator and user).

Manuel Pavy

Re: disable create server

Khushboo Vashi

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 6:11 PM Pavy Manuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you all.

<a href="#" onclick="pgAdmin.Dashboard.add_new_server()">

pgAdmin saves server list per user.

You may need to keep that in mind.

Yes I’m aware of that

Agreed.

The benefit is :

- I can serialize the connections (some users open many, many tabs)

- I can reserve some connection to the production chain

- I can monitor the pool

Please create a feature request @ https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4 .

Thanks,