don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

Alexey Bashtanov-4

I got somewhat scared when my explain took a few seconds to complete and
used a few gigs of RAM.
To reproduce try the following:

discard temp;
create temp table a as select to_timestamp(generate_series(1, 7000)) i;
analyze a;
set work_mem to '3GB';
explain select distinct a1.i - a2.i from a a1, a a2;

I would appreciate if someone could have a look at the patch attached,
which makes executor skip initializing hash tables when doing explain only.

Best, Alex

dont-build-agg-hashtable-on-explain-only-v1.diff (669 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

Heikki Linnakangas
On 13/11/2020 18:10, Alexey Bashtanov wrote:

> Hi,
> I got somewhat scared when my explain took a few seconds to complete and
> used a few gigs of RAM.
> To reproduce try the following:
> discard temp;
> create temp table a as select to_timestamp(generate_series(1, 7000)) i;
> analyze a;
> set work_mem to '3GB';
> explain select distinct a1.i - a2.i from a a1, a a2;
> I would appreciate if someone could have a look at the patch attached,
> which makes executor skip initializing hash tables when doing explain only.

Makes sense. Committed, thanks for the patch!

- Heikki

Re: don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

Greg Stark
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 05:40, Heikki Linnakangas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 13/11/2020 18:10, Alexey Bashtanov wrote:
>> > I would appreciate if someone could have a look at the patch attached,
> > which makes executor skip initializing hash tables when doing explain only.
> Makes sense. Committed, thanks for the patch!

Egads. That seems like a backpatchable bug fix to me. Have we been
doing this all along?!

greg

Re: don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

Heikki Linnakangas
On 19/11/2020 07:20, Greg Stark wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 05:40, Heikki Linnakangas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 13/11/2020 18:10, Alexey Bashtanov wrote:
>>>> I would appreciate if someone could have a look at the patch attached,
>>> which makes executor skip initializing hash tables when doing explain only.
>> Makes sense. Committed, thanks for the patch!
> Egads. That seems like a backpatchable bug fix to me. Have we been
> doing this all along?!

Yeah, I believe it's always been like that. Yeah, arguably it should be
backpatched. I felt conservative and didn't backpatch, but feel free to
do it if you think it should be.

- Heikki

Re: don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

Michael Paquier-2
On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:47:51AM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Yeah, I believe it's always been like that. Yeah, arguably it should be
> backpatched. I felt conservative and didn't backpatch, but feel free to do
> it if you think it should be.

+1 for a backpatch.  The difference in runtime for EXPLAIN in this case
is quite something.
Michael

Re: don't allocate HashAgg hash tables when running explain only

Heikki Linnakangas
On 20/11/2020 08:31, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:47:51AM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Yeah, I believe it's always been like that. Yeah, arguably it should be
>> backpatched. I felt conservative and didn't backpatch, but feel free to do
>> it if you think it should be.
> +1 for a backpatch.  The difference in runtime for EXPLAIN in this case
> is quite something.

That's two votes for backpatching. Ok, I'll go do it.

- Heikki