log_destination reload/restart doesn't stop file creation

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

log_destination reload/restart doesn't stop file creation

Thom Brown-2
Hi,

I've tested the following on git head.  When changing log_destination
and reloading, the old destination file continues to be made, just not
populated with anything.  That means at every file rotation, 2 files
are created.

For example:

log_destination = 'stderr'

I get this in my log directory:

postgresql-2018-08-14_131640.log

If I change it to csvlog and reload, I end up with:

0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.log
4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 194 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.csv

So I get the csv file, but it's still producing the .log file which
remains 0 bytes.  The same happens in reverse. (i.e. I end up with an
empty .csv file and a populated .log file).

I expect the old file to stop being created.

What's also interesting is if I have log_destination set to 'csvlog',
then I restart, or stop then start the database manually, I still get
2 files, which contain:

postgresql-2018-08-14_132510.log:
2018-08-14 13:25:10 BST [21065]: [6-1] user=,db=,client= LOG:  ending
log output to stderr
2018-08-14 13:25:10 BST [21065]: [7-1] user=,db=,client= HINT:  Future
log output will go to log destination "csvlog".

postgresql-2018-08-14_132510.csv:
2018-08-14 13:25:10.626 BST,,,21065,,5b72ca26.5249,1,,2018-08-14
13:25:10 BST,,0,LOG,00000,"ending log output to stderr",,"Future log
output will go to log destination ""csvlog"".",,,,,,,""
2018-08-14 13:25:10.675 BST,,,21067,,5b72ca26.524b,1,,2018-08-14
13:25:10 BST,,0,LOG,00000,"database system was shut down at 2018-08-14
13:25:08 BST",,,,,,,,,""
2018-08-14 13:25:10.868 BST,,,21065,,5b72ca26.5249,2,,2018-08-14
13:25:10 BST,,0,LOG,00000,"database system is ready to accept
connections",,,,,,,,,""

Then I continue to get empty .log files:
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:26 postgresql-2018-08-14_132600.log
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:26 postgresql-2018-08-14_132600.csv
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:27 postgresql-2018-08-14_132700.log
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:27 postgresql-2018-08-14_132700.csv
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:28 postgresql-2018-08-14_132800.log
4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 195 Aug 14 13:28 postgresql-2018-08-14_132800.csv
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:29 postgresql-2018-08-14_132900.log
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:29 postgresql-2018-08-14_132900.csv

This doesn't happen if log_destination is set to 'stderr'.

Regards

Thom

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: log_destination reload/restart doesn't stop file creation

rafia.sabih


On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Thom Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've tested the following on git head.  When changing log_destination
and reloading, the old destination file continues to be made, just not
populated with anything.  That means at every file rotation, 2 files
are created.

For example:

log_destination = 'stderr'

I get this in my log directory:

postgresql-2018-08-14_131640.log

If I change it to csvlog and reload, I end up with:

0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.log
4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 194 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.csv

So I get the csv file, but it's still producing the .log file which
remains 0 bytes.  The same happens in reverse. (i.e. I end up with an
empty .csv file and a populated .log file).

I expect the old file to stop being created.

What's also interesting is if I have log_destination set to 'csvlog',
then I restart, or stop then start the database manually, I still get
2 files, which contain:

postgresql-2018-08-14_132510.log:
2018-08-14 13:25:10 BST [21065]: [6-1] user=,db=,client= LOG:  ending
log output to stderr
2018-08-14 13:25:10 BST [21065]: [7-1] user=,db=,client= HINT:  Future
log output will go to log destination "csvlog".

postgresql-2018-08-14_132510.csv:
2018-08-14 13:25:10.626 BST,,,21065,,5b72ca26.5249,1,,2018-08-14
13:25:10 BST,,0,LOG,00000,"ending log output to stderr",,"Future log
output will go to log destination ""csvlog"".",,,,,,,""
2018-08-14 13:25:10.675 BST,,,21067,,5b72ca26.524b,1,,2018-08-14
13:25:10 BST,,0,LOG,00000,"database system was shut down at 2018-08-14
13:25:08 BST",,,,,,,,,""
2018-08-14 13:25:10.868 BST,,,21065,,5b72ca26.5249,2,,2018-08-14
13:25:10 BST,,0,LOG,00000,"database system is ready to accept
connections",,,,,,,,,""


Hi,

I had a look at this issue and here are my comments for the same. As far as this part is concerned, this looks like intentional code in postmaster.c

* If we are in fact disabling logging to stderr, first emit a log message
* saying so, to provide a breadcrumb trail for users who may not remember
* that their logging is configured to go somewhere else.
*/
    if (!(Log_destination & LOG_DESTINATION_STDERR))
        ereport(LOG,
                (errmsg("ending log output to stderr"),
                 errhint("Future log output will go to log destination \"%s\".",
                         Log_destination_string)));

To me having one file at system restart doesn't seem too harmful.
 
Then I continue to get empty .log files:
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:26 postgresql-2018-08-14_132600.log
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:26 postgresql-2018-08-14_132600.csv
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:27 postgresql-2018-08-14_132700.log
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:27 postgresql-2018-08-14_132700.csv
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:28 postgresql-2018-08-14_132800.log
4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 195 Aug 14 13:28 postgresql-2018-08-14_132800.csv
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:29 postgresql-2018-08-14_132900.log
0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:29 postgresql-2018-08-14_132900.csv

This doesn't happen if log_destination is set to 'stderr'.

Regarding this issue, in logfile_rotate by default a .log file was created, I didn't quite get the logic behind it and assume it to be a bug. Hence, in the attached patch I have added a check to see if we need to create a log file and only then create it.

--
Regards,
Rafia Sabih

extra_logfile_bugfix_v1.patch (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: log_destination reload/restart doesn't stop file creation

Kuntal Ghosh
 On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Rafia Sabih
 <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Thom Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've tested the following on git head.  When changing log_destination
>> and reloading, the old destination file continues to be made, just not
>> populated with anything.  That means at every file rotation, 2 files
>> are created.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> log_destination = 'stderr'
>>
>> I get this in my log directory:
>>
>> postgresql-2018-08-14_131640.log
>>
>> If I change it to csvlog and reload, I end up with:
>>
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.log
>> 4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 194 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.csv
>>
>> So I get the csv file, but it's still producing the .log file which
>> remains 0 bytes.  The same happens in reverse. (i.e. I end up with an
    >>> empty .csv file and a populated .log file).

>>
>> I expect the old file to stop being created.
>>
>> What's also interesting is if I have log_destination set to 'csvlog',
>> then I restart, or stop then start the database manually, I still get
>> 2 files, which contain:
>> Then I continue to get empty .log files:
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:26 postgresql-2018-08-14_132600.log
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:26 postgresql-2018-08-14_132600.csv
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:27 postgresql-2018-08-14_132700.log
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:27 postgresql-2018-08-14_132700.csv
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:28 postgresql-2018-08-14_132800.log
>> 4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 195 Aug 14 13:28 postgresql-2018-08-14_132800.csv
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:29 postgresql-2018-08-14_132900.log
>> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:29 postgresql-2018-08-14_132900.csv
>>
>> This doesn't happen if log_destination is set to 'stderr'.
>>
> Regarding this issue, in logfile_rotate by default a .log file was created,
> I didn't quite get the logic behind it and assume it to be a bug. Hence, in
> the attached patch I have added a check to see if we need to create a log
> file and only then create it.
>
It doesn't look like a bug to me.

If log_destination is set to csv, there are few cases when we create
both csv and logfile.
1. pg_ctl logrotate/ select pg_rotate_logfile: When either of these is
issued, user forces to switch the log. So, both logfiles should be
switched.
2. time based rotation: When we use time-based rotation, it doesn't
matter how much bytes have been written in *.log file. Hence, both
*.log and *.csv should be switched. A lot of external log management
tools (like logrotate, pgBadger) expect this behavior when time-based
rotation is used.
3. size based rotation: In this case, *.log file is switched only when
it exceeds the specified/default log size. So, I don't see any problem
here.
4. During restart. You can find the explanation for the same in
SysLogger_Start(void):
    /*
     * The initial logfile is created right in the postmaster, to verify that
     * the Log_directory is writable.  We save the reference time so that the
     * syslogger child process can recompute this file name.
     *
     * It might look a bit strange to re-do this during a syslogger
restart,
     * but we must do so since the postmaster closed syslogFile after
the
     * previous fork (and remembering that old file wouldn't be right anyway).
     * Note we always append here, we won't overwrite any existing file.  This
     * is consistent with the normal rules, because by definition this is not
     * a time-based rotation.
     */

It's important to note that there are few (special) cases, when we
always write to *.log file even log_destination is set to csv. Please
see the following comments in write_syslogger_file(const char *buffer,
int count, int destination).
    /*
     * If we're told to write to csvlogFile, but it's not open, dump the data
     * to syslogFile (which is always open) instead.  This can happen
if CSV
     * output is enabled after postmaster start and we've been unable to open
     * csvlogFile.  There are also race conditions during a parameter
change
     * whereby backends might send us CSV output before we open csvlogFile or
     * after we close it.  Writing CSV-formatted output to the regular
log
     * file isn't great, but it beats dropping log output on the
floor.
     *
     * Think not to improve this by trying to open csvlogFile on-the-fly.  Any
     * failure in that would lead to recursion.
     */

To test, we can kill the postmaster while logger process is running
and set log level to debug5. The logger shutting down debug messages
will be redirected to *.log file.

Please let me know if you think otherwise.
--
Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: log_destination reload/restart doesn't stop file creation

akapila
In reply to this post by Thom Brown-2
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:03 PM Thom Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I've tested the following on git head.  When changing log_destination
> and reloading, the old destination file continues to be made, just not
> populated with anything.  That means at every file rotation, 2 files
> are created.
>
> For example:
>
> log_destination = 'stderr'
>
> I get this in my log directory:
>
> postgresql-2018-08-14_131640.log
>
> If I change it to csvlog and reload, I end up with:
>
> 0 -rw------- 1 thom thom   0 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.log
> 4 -rw------- 1 thom thom 194 Aug 14 13:19 postgresql-2018-08-14_131900.csv
>
> So I get the csv file, but it's still producing the .log file which
> remains 0 bytes.  The same happens in reverse. (i.e. I end up with an
> empty .csv file and a populated .log file).
>

I don't see this problem happening when you are changing
log_destination from csvlog to stderr and reload the conf via
pg_reload_conf().  The reason why it is happening when log_destination
is set to csvlog is that there are some cases as explained in Kuntal's
email when we can only write in the log file.  So, I don't see any bug
here, but I might be missing something here.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com