many animals are running old clients

many animals are running old clients

Andrew Dunstan-8

Animal owners,

The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.

If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute the
server filters which will reject very old clients.

I do my best to keep things backwards compatible, so that usually an
upgrade is simply a matter of unpacking the release and you're done. I
don't think asking people to do that once every few months is terribly
onerous. It's a five minute job.

cheers

(43 rows)

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
> The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
> release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
> animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
> release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.

There's also a depressingly large number of animals that still aren't
building the REL_11_STABLE branch.  Some also have odd gaps in their
back-branch coverage.  If you don't use run_branches.pl to automate
branch selection, please also take the time to check that you are
building the right set of branches.

> If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute the
> server filters which will reject very old clients.

While I'd certainly encourage people to update, I'm not sure why
that's necessary?

Andrew Dunstan-8

On 08/17/2018 05:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
>> The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
>> release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
>> animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
>> release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.
> There's also a depressingly large number of animals that still aren't
> building the REL_11_STABLE branch.  Some also have odd gaps in their
> back-branch coverage.  If you don't use run_branches.pl to automate
> branch selection, please also take the time to check that you are
> building the right set of branches.
>> If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute the
>> server filters which will reject very old clients.
> While I'd certainly encourage people to update, I'm not sure why
> that's necessary?

Example: Some animals are still getting the Pre_run_port_check error.
That doesn't even exist any more, it disappeared when the security
enhancements went in.

cheers

andrew

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Mikael Kjellström
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8

On 2018-08-17 23:27, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
> release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
> animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
> release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.

I've updated all my animals below to version 8.

>   conchuela    | [hidden email] | 007000
>   grison       | [hidden email] | 007000
>   loach        | [hidden email] | 007000
>   sidewinder   | [hidden email] | 007000
>   curculio      | [hidden email] | 004018

It might be worth to send out a email directly to the animal owners that
a new version is out.  It's easy to miss if you don't follow the mailing
lists.

Just a suggestion.

And regarding:

"I do my best to keep things backwards compatible, so that usually an
upgrade is simply a matter of unpacking the release and you're done. I
don't think asking people to do that once every few months is terribly
onerous. It's a five minute job."

Every time I upgrade I need to go through all the .pl-files and change
the path to where perl is located as different os/distros has perl at
different paths and also it's not even consistent within the shipped files.

For example:

% head -n 1 *.pl
==> run_branches.pl <==
#!/usr/bin/perl

==> run_build.pl <==
#!/usr/bin/perl

==> run_web_txn.pl <==
#!/c/perl/bin/perl

==> setnotes.pl <==
#!/usr/bin/perl

==> update_personality.pl <==
#!/usr/bin/perl

I also go through the config-file line by line to see if anything is
changed or added.

It's not a big deal though.  Keep up the good work!

/Mikael

Andrew Dunstan-8

On 08/18/2018 06:48 AM, Mikael Kjellström wrote:

> On 2018-08-17 23:27, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
>> release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
>> animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
>> release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.
> I've updated all my animals below to version 8.
>>   conchuela    | [hidden email] | 007000
>>   grison       | [hidden email] | 007000
>>   loach        | [hidden email] | 007000
>>   sidewinder   | [hidden email] | 007000
>>   curculio      | [hidden email] | 004018

Thanks.

> It might be worth to send out a email directly to the animal owners
> that a new version is out.  It's easy to miss if you don't follow the
> mailing lists.

Mail goes to the buildfarm-members list. That should be sufficiently
specific. Having to email owners individually would be unpleasant.

> Just a suggestion.
> And regarding:
> "I do my best to keep things backwards compatible, so that usually an
> upgrade is simply a matter of unpacking the release and you're done. I
> don't think asking people to do that once every few months is terribly
> onerous. It's a five minute job."
> Every time I upgrade I need to go through all the .pl-files and change
> the path to where perl is located as different os/distros has perl at
> different paths and also it's not even consistent within the shipped
> files.
> For example:
> % head -n 1 *.pl
> ==> run_branches.pl <==
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> ==> run_build.pl <==
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> ==> run_web_txn.pl <==
> #!/c/perl/bin/perl
> ==> setnotes.pl <==
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> ==> update_personality.pl <==
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> I also go through the config-file line by line to see if anything is
> changed or added.
> It's not a big deal though.  Keep up the good work!
> /Mikael

run_web_txn.pl is only ever used on Windows/msys, that's why its path is
different. If you're not using one of those systems you can safely
ignore it.

Would it help if I added a script to set the perl locations?
Alternatively, we could switch to using /usr/bin/env, but I'm not sure
how universal it is. And if you want to use a non-distro perl it
possibly won't help anyway.

cheers

andrew

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 08/18/2018 06:48 AM, Mikael Kjellström wrote:
>> Every time I upgrade I need to go through all the .pl-files and change
>> the path to where perl is located as different os/distros has perl at
>> different paths and also it's not even consistent within the shipped
>> files.

> Would it help if I added a script to set the perl locations?

Is it really necessary to touch the shebang lines at all?
I thought if you invoked the top script with
        perl-of-choice /path/to/run_build.pl ... args ...
then you'd be good.  If that's not so, maybe we could make it work?

>> I also go through the config-file line by line to see if anything is
>> changed or added.

Yeah, this bit is the most time-consuming for me.  Not sure what's to
be done about it.

Andrew Dunstan-8

On 08/18/2018 11:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
>> On 08/18/2018 06:48 AM, Mikael Kjellström wrote:
>>> Every time I upgrade I need to go through all the .pl-files and change
>>> the path to where perl is located as different os/distros has perl at
>>> different paths and also it's not even consistent within the shipped
>>> files.
>> Would it help if I added a script to set the perl locations?
> Is it really necessary to touch the shebang lines at all?
> I thought if you invoked the top script with
> perl-of-choice /path/to/run_build.pl ... args ...
> then you'd be good.  If that's not so, maybe we could make it work?

Sadly it's not quite that simple. run_branches has this code:

sub run_branch
    {
         my $branch = shift;
         my @args = ($run_build,
    PGBuild::Options::standard_option_list(), $branch);

# Explicitly use perl from the path (and not this perl, so
    don't use $^X)
         # This script needs to run on Cygwin with non-cygwin perl if
    it's running
         # in tandem with AS/MinGW perl, since Cygwin perl doesn't honor
    locks
         # the samne way, and the global lock fails. But the build
    script needs
         # to run with the native perl, even on Cygwin, which it picks
    up from
         # the path. (Head exploding yet?).
         system("perl", @args);
         return;
    }

I could probably reasonably limit that so that everywhere but Cygwin we
use the called perl. Windows is really the only place where we have to
wrestle with multiple perls.

>>> I also go through the config-file line by line to see if anything is
>>> changed or added.
> Yeah, this bit is the most time-consuming for me.  Not sure what's to
> be done about it.

It's in my list of things to consider. One of the things on the roadmap
in my head is a possible switch to a YAML config file.

Perhaps I should publish in the release notes a diff of the sample
config file against the previous release.

cheers

andrew

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Mikael Kjellström
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8

On 2018-08-18 14:12, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Mail goes to the buildfarm-members list. That should be sufficiently
> specific. Having to email owners individually would be unpleasant.

OK, yes I agree.

> run_web_txn.pl is only ever used on Windows/msys, that's why its path is
> different. If you're not using one of those systems you can safely
> ignore it.

OK, that makes sense.

> Would it help if I added a script to set the perl locations?
> Alternatively, we could switch to using /usr/bin/env, but I'm not sure
> how universal it is. And if you want to use a non-distro perl it
> possibly won't help anyway.

Well, it's not that hard to go through all the .pl-files manually and
change the path to where perl is located.

Would be nice to have a script that automatically detected the perl
binary through using which or something like that but that wouldn't be
portable and work on other OS:es like Windows, I guess.

I did get a problem with my NetBSD 7 animal not accepting the
SSL-certificate (Let's Encrypt) that https://git.postgresql.org uses.

I got the error:
Git mirror failure:
Cloning into bare repository '/home/pgbf/buildroot/pgmirror.git'...
fatal: unable to access
'https://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git/': SSL certificate
problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

I managed to solve that in NetBSD but following the following guide:

what that does is basically installing the mozilla-rootscerts on to the
system and using it as default.

After that it worked fine again.  But I can imagine on older OS:es
where you can't easily upgrade the CA-certs on the system it could be a
big problem. HTTPS and the cert business is so broken it's not even
funny imho.

/Mikael

Andrew Dunstan-8
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8

On 08/18/2018 12:22 PM, Noah Misch wrote (offlist):
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 08:17:17AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Is there anything I can do to make upgrade easier?
> The show_log.pl web page could highlight a particular run's config change,
> including version number changes, when there is such a change compared to the
> previous run.  If it's clear enough that folks are unlikely to confuse an
> for post-upgrade buildfarm failures.

What I've done is add this to the database in a way that makes it easily
accessible to the web app, and added that info to the history page.

I might break that out into a separate history at some stage.

> It wouldn't make an upgrade easier, but the "Flags" column of show_status.pl
> could give an extra badge for being on the latest version.  That would motivate
> some folks.

Yes, I'll look at this, although I'm reluctant to make the dashboard any
more busy.

cheers

andrew

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Gael Le Mignot
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8
Hello,

I updated mine (mule), sorry for the lag on the update.

Regards,
Gaël Le Mignot - [hidden email]
Pilot Systems - 82, rue de Pixérécourt - 75020 Paris
Tel : +33 1 44 53 05 55 - www.pilot-systems.net
Découvrez notre offre Cloud privé 100% infogéré - www.pilotsystems.net/cloud/

Sandeep Thakkar-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8
Hi Andrew

Sorry about that. I've updated all the below animals to version 8.
- anole
- gharial
- clam
- quokka

I copied the buildfarm.conf from the previous client installation directory and to the new one. Hope that should be OK.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Animal owners,

The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26 animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.

If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute the server filters which will reject very old clients.

I do my best to keep things backwards compatible, so that usually an upgrade is simply a matter of unpacking the release and you're done. I don't think asking people to do that once every few months is terribly onerous. It's a five minute job.

cheers

Hi Tom,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 3:21 AM, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
> The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client code
> release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There are 26
> animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one case on a
> release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of delinquents.

There's also a depressingly large number of animals that still aren't
building the REL_11_STABLE branch.  Some also have odd gaps in their
back-branch coverage.  If you don't use run_branches.pl to automate
branch selection, please also take the time to check that you are
building the right set of branches.

All my animals use run_branches.pl except 'clam', which is a PPC64LE machine. and when we setup this animal we found 9.3 was failing with "error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one". This was discussed in the thread with sub: "Include ppc64le build type for back branches". Therefore, I explicitly run run_build.pl for all branches (I added for REL_11_STABLE as it was missing). Once we disable 9.3 runs, I'll move to using run_branhces.pl on 'clam' as well.

> If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute the
> server filters which will reject very old clients.

While I'd certainly encourage people to update, I'm not sure why
that's necessary?

Sandeep Thakkar

Noah Misch-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8
On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 03:04:58PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 08/18/2018 12:22 PM, Noah Misch wrote (offlist):
> >On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 08:17:17AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >>Is there anything I can do to make upgrade easier?
> >The show_log.pl web page could highlight a particular run's config change,
> >including version number changes, when there is such a change compared to the
> >previous run.  If it's clear enough that folks are unlikely to confuse an
> >upgrade-induced failure with a PG-commit-induced failure, I could stop checking
> >for post-upgrade buildfarm failures.
> What I've done is add this to the database in a way that makes it easily
> accessible to the web app, and added that info to the history page.

I think that wastes prime screen real estate.  If show_history.pl is going to
spend that space on something, I would choose commit hash.  But I liked it
better with nothing there.

The concept I had in mind was a "Config changed since last success" block
adjacent to the "Files changed since last success" block in show_log.pl.  It
might look like this:

- 'config_env' => { 'CC' => 'gcc' },
+ 'config_env' => { 'CC' => 'gcc -mips32r2' },
- 'script_version' => 'REL_7',
+ 'script_version' => 'REL_8',

Script version is a minor aspect, worth little by itself.  If you diff the
entire config block, though, that amounts to a meaningful feature.

Andrew Dunstan-8

On 08/20/2018 11:24 PM, Noah Misch wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 03:04:58PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> On 08/18/2018 12:22 PM, Noah Misch wrote (offlist):
>>> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 08:17:17AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>>> Is there anything I can do to make upgrade easier?
>>> The show_log.pl web page could highlight a particular run's config change,
>>> including version number changes, when there is such a change compared to the
>>> previous run.  If it's clear enough that folks are unlikely to confuse an
>>> upgrade-induced failure with a PG-commit-induced failure, I could stop checking
>>> for post-upgrade buildfarm failures.
>> What I've done is add this to the database in a way that makes it easily
>> accessible to the web app, and added that info to the history page.
> I think that wastes prime screen real estate.  If show_history.pl is going to
> spend that space on something, I would choose commit hash.  But I liked it
> better with nothing there.
> The concept I had in mind was a "Config changed since last success" block
> adjacent to the "Files changed since last success" block in show_log.pl.  It
> might look like this:
> - 'config_env' => { 'CC' => 'gcc' },
> + 'config_env' => { 'CC' => 'gcc -mips32r2' },
> - 'script_version' => 'REL_7',
> + 'script_version' => 'REL_8',
> Script version is a minor aspect, worth little by itself.  If you diff the
> entire config block, though, that amounts to a meaningful feature.

It's easy to revert the display change, and there is utility in having
the script version easily available in the database without having to
extract it in each query.

Getting the config summary from the previous build is possibly a bit
less simple.

I'll take a look when I get a bit more time.

cheers

andrew

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Bernd Helmle-3
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8
Am Freitag, den 17.08.2018, 17:27 -0400 schrieb Andrew Dunstan:
>   chub          | [hidden email]    | 005000

chub should be up to date now and builds REL_11_STABLE, too.

Dave Page-7
In reply to this post by Andrew Dunstan-8

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Animal owners,

It's very far from a 5 minute job on ancient Solaris boxes :-(

In my case, I've spent an hour or more trying to get Digest::SHA to install, and have failed miserably as it fails to compile for me with both Sun Studio and GCC. In the case of Sun Studio, CPAN seems insistent on trying to use the compiler in a way that makes it react like the crippled default compiler on the system, and it ignores variables like CC, and aliases and so-on, and insists on trying to run "cc" regardless. I'm going to have to give up for now.

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Andrew Dunstan-8

On 08/29/2018 10:35 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Andrew Dunstan
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     Animal owners,
>     The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client
>     code release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There
>     are 26 animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one
>     case on a release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of
>     delinquents.
>     If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute
>     the server filters which will reject very old clients.
>     I do my best to keep things backwards compatible, so that usually
>     an upgrade is simply a matter of unpacking the release and you're
>     done. I don't think asking people to do that once every few months
>     is terribly onerous. It's a five minute job.
> It's very far from a 5 minute job on ancient Solaris boxes :-(
> In my case, I've spent an hour or more trying to get Digest::SHA to
> install, and have failed miserably as it fails to compile for me with
> both Sun Studio and GCC. In the case of Sun Studio, CPAN seems
> insistent on trying to use the compiler in a way that makes it react
> like the crippled default compiler on the system, and it ignores
> variables like CC, and aliases and so-on, and insists on trying to run
> "cc" regardless. I'm going to have to give up for now.

eep!

Please let me know when issues like this arise.

Note BTW that we switched from Digest::SHA1 to Digest::SHA back in 2013,
because it's more commonly available, and I never heard of a problem
with that until now, AFAIR. Assuming you have Digest::SHA1 available, I
could probably save you all this grief by trying to use one and then the
other.

More generally, if people have difficulties I try to work out a way
around them. So please do sing out when that happens.

cheers

andrew

Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 08/29/2018 10:35 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> It's very far from a 5 minute job on ancient Solaris boxes :-(

> Please let me know when issues like this arise.

One thing of the same ilk is that a few months ago I had to give up on
using https reporting on gaur/pademelon, and switch back to http.
I don't think that was your fault, because it was not associated with a
buildfarm client upgrade.  It appeared to me that the pginfra folk had
changed something to require newer TLS versions in https connections to
the buildfarm server.  Like Dave, I spent a fair while trying to install
new-enough Perl modules to fix that, without a lot of success: newer
Perl code doesn't compile on that platform.

It's debatable of course how much anyone cares about buildfarm animals
that are this old.  I've already shut down pademelon since its compiler
never heard of C99, and I don't see much point in running it on just
the back branches.

Dave Page-7

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 08/29/2018 10:35 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> It's very far from a 5 minute job on ancient Solaris boxes :-(

> Please let me know when issues like this arise.

One thing of the same ilk is that a few months ago I had to give up on
using https reporting on gaur/pademelon, and switch back to http.
I don't think that was your fault, because it was not associated with a
buildfarm client upgrade.  It appeared to me that the pginfra folk had
changed something to require newer TLS versions in https connections to
the buildfarm server.  Like Dave, I spent a fair while trying to install
new-enough Perl modules to fix that, without a lot of success: newer
Perl code doesn't compile on that platform.

It's debatable of course how much anyone cares about buildfarm animals
that are this old.  I've already shut down pademelon since its compiler
never heard of C99, and I don't see much point in running it on just
the back branches.

Right - I do wonder that about this machine (whether it's worth supporting, not whether its compiler supports C99). Here's what we're talking about:

-bash-3.00$ cat /etc/release
                       Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC
           Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 14 November 2006
-bash-3.00$ prtconf -b
name:  SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000
model:  SUNW,501-6230
banner-name:  SUNW,Sun-Blade-2000 (2 X UltraSPARC-III+)

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Darcy Buskermolen-5
That particular era of equipment is still quite prominent in telecom central office environments, and I know of several telcom nms solutions that use PostgreSQL.  However having said that it's of little likelyhood that those are being updated to use newer versions of postgres or even wether or not they receive security/bugfixes....

Sent on the go, from somewhere other than here.

-------- Original message --------
From: Dave Page <[hidden email]>
Date: 2018-08-30 05:32 (GMT-06:00)
To: Tom Lane <[hidden email]>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Subject: Re: many animals are running old clients

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 08/29/2018 10:35 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> It's very far from a 5 minute job on ancient Solaris boxes :-(

> Please let me know when issues like this arise.

One thing of the same ilk is that a few months ago I had to give up on
using https reporting on gaur/pademelon, and switch back to http.
I don't think that was your fault, because it was not associated with a
buildfarm client upgrade.  It appeared to me that the pginfra folk had
changed something to require newer TLS versions in https connections to
the buildfarm server.  Like Dave, I spent a fair while trying to install
new-enough Perl modules to fix that, without a lot of success: newer
Perl code doesn't compile on that platform.

It's debatable of course how much anyone cares about buildfarm animals
that are this old.  I've already shut down pademelon since its compiler
never heard of C99, and I don't see much point in running it on just
the back branches.

-bash-3.00$ cat /etc/release
                       Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC
           Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 14 November 2006
-bash-3.00$ prtconf -b
name:  SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000
model:  SUNW,501-6230
banner-name:  SUNW,Sun-Blade-2000 (2 X UltraSPARC-III+)

Dave Page