pg_basebackup compression

pg_basebackup compression

Scott Ribe-2
pg_basebackup does not compress data over the wire, correct?

It's not that I need it to, it's that either pg_basebackup is doing compression that I wasn't aware of, or that a tool is giving me completely bogus numbers for network I/O. I suspect the latter, and just want to confirm.

Scott Ribe
[hidden email]

Re: pg_basebackup compression

Magnus Hagander-2

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:22 PM Scott Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
pg_basebackup does not compress data over the wire, correct?

Re: pg_basebackup compression

Scott Ribe-2
> On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Magnus Hagander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Correct. Unless you turn on SSL compression, which ias been deprecated a long time ago and is actually quite tricky (or even impossible) on most modern Linux distros.

Thanks for confirming--shortly after I posted I remembered that I'd noticed the same issue with the same tool once before (Rancher, FYI), and what it is doing is labeling the y-axis as "Mbps" when it's actually displaying MBps. So, LOL, data is appearing on my disk 8x faster than that UI shows it transferring over the network ;-)

Re: pg_basebackup compression

Marlene Villanueva

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 9:59 AM Scott Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Magnus Hagander <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: pg_basebackup compression

Marlene Villanueva
In reply to this post by Magnus Hagander-2

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 9:54 AM Magnus Hagander <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:22 PM Scott Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
pg_basebackup does not compress data over the wire, correct?

Re: pg_basebackup compression

Marlene Villanueva
In reply to this post by Scott Ribe-2

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 9:22 AM Scott Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
pg_basebackup does not compress data over the wire, correct?

Scott Ribe