Erwin Moller

While trying to move an old 8.1 Postgres install to a new server with
postgres 10.10, I get an error, listed hereunder:
I am trying to get a mydump_x_x_x.sql file to use to reinstall on the
target machine.

From my new machine I connect to my old machine like this:
erwin@ubuntu:~$  pg_dump -f "/home/erwin/mydump_$(date +%d_%m_%Y).sql"
-C -h somehost.com -p 5433 -U myvalidusername -d myremotedb
Password:
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  relation "pg_opfamily"
does not exist
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT classid, objid, refclassid,
refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend WHERE deptype != 'p' AND deptype != 'e'
UNION ALL
SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amopfamily AS objid,
refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amop o WHERE deptype
NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amop'::regclass AND objid =
o.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND amopfamily =
refobjid)
UNION ALL
SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amprocfamily AS objid,
refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amproc p WHERE
deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amproc'::regclass AND
objid = p.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
amprocfamily = refobjid)
ORDER BY 1,2

And no archive is created.

Does any of you kind people have advice? I am sure this worked on postgres9.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Re: pg_dump problems: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR: relation "pg_opfamily" does not exist

Ian Barwick-3
On 8/20/19 7:12 PM, Erwin Moller wrote:

> Hi,
> While trying to move an old 8.1 Postgres install to a new server with postgres 10.10, I get an error, listed hereunder:
> I am trying to get a mydump_x_x_x.sql file to use to reinstall on the target machine.
>  From my new machine I connect to my old machine like this:
> erwin@ubuntu:~$  pg_dump -f "/home/erwin/mydump_$(date +%d_%m_%Y).sql" -C -h somehost.com -p 5433 -U myvalidusername -d myremotedb
> Password:
> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  relation "pg_opfamily" does not exist
> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT classid, objid, refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend WHERE deptype != 'p' AND deptype != 'e'
> UNION ALL
> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amopfamily AS objid, refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amop o WHERE deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amop'::regclass AND objid = o.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND amopfamily = refobjid)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amprocfamily AS objid, refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amproc p WHERE deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amproc'::regclass AND objid = p.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND amprocfamily = refobjid)
> ORDER BY 1,2
> And no archive is created.
> Does any of you kind people have advice? I am sure this worked on postgres9.

It looks like this was broken just before 10.10 was released, and has since been fixed;
see:

Your options are:
  - find a 10.9 or earlier package and use the pg_dump from that
  - build pg_dump yourself
  - wait for 10.11 to come out (though I imagine that won't be for a month or two)

Regards

Ian Barwick

Ian Barwick                   https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Erwin Moller-3

Op 8/20/2019 om 2:07 PM schreef Ian Barwick:

> On 8/20/19 7:12 PM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>> Hi,
>> While trying to move an old 8.1 Postgres install to a new server with
>> postgres 10.10, I get an error, listed hereunder:
>> I am trying to get a mydump_x_x_x.sql file to use to reinstall on the
>> target machine.
>>  From my new machine I connect to my old machine like this:
>> erwin@ubuntu:~$  pg_dump -f "/home/erwin/mydump_$(date
>> +%d_%m_%Y).sql" -C -h somehost.com -p 5433 -U myvalidusername -d
>> myremotedb
>> Password:
>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  relation "pg_opfamily"
>> does not exist
>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT classid, objid,
>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend WHERE deptype != 'p' AND
>> deptype != 'e'
>> UNION ALL
>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amopfamily AS objid,
>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amop o WHERE
>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amop'::regclass AND
>> objid = o.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>> amopfamily = refobjid)
>> UNION ALL
>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amprocfamily AS objid,
>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amproc p WHERE
>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amproc'::regclass
>> AND objid = p.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>> amprocfamily = refobjid)
>> ORDER BY 1,2
>> And no archive is created.
>> Does any of you kind people have advice? I am sure this worked on
>> postgres9.
> It looks like this was broken just before 10.10 was released, and has
> since been fixed;
> see:
> Your options are:
>  - find a 10.9 or earlier package and use the pg_dump from that
>  - build pg_dump yourself
>  - wait for 10.11 to come out (though I imagine that won't be for a
> month or two)
> Regards
> Ian Barwick

Thanks a lot, Ian!

That saved me an upcoming headache. I searched a lot on Google but
couldn't find any relevant information.

Will installing Postgres 11 also work? (Not the Ubuntu18.04 default for
Postgres, but doable).
Or does those pg_dump versions also expect pg_opfamily to exist?

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Adrian Klaver-4
On 8/20/19 6:18 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:

> Op 8/20/2019 om 2:07 PM schreef Ian Barwick:
>> On 8/20/19 7:12 PM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> While trying to move an old 8.1 Postgres install to a new server with
>>> postgres 10.10, I get an error, listed hereunder:
>>> I am trying to get a mydump_x_x_x.sql file to use to reinstall on the
>>> target machine.
>>>
>>>  From my new machine I connect to my old machine like this:
>>> erwin@ubuntu:~$  pg_dump -f "/home/erwin/mydump_$(date
>>> +%d_%m_%Y).sql" -C -h somehost.com -p 5433 -U myvalidusername -d
>>> myremotedb
>>> Password:
>>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  relation "pg_opfamily"
>>> does not exist
>>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT classid, objid,
>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend WHERE deptype != 'p' AND
>>> deptype != 'e'
>>> UNION ALL
>>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amopfamily AS objid,
>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amop o WHERE
>>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amop'::regclass AND
>>> objid = o.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>>> amopfamily = refobjid)
>>> UNION ALL
>>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amprocfamily AS objid,
>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amproc p WHERE
>>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amproc'::regclass
>>> AND objid = p.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>>> amprocfamily = refobjid)
>>> ORDER BY 1,2
>>>
>>> And no archive is created.
>>>
>>> Does any of you kind people have advice? I am sure this worked on
>>> postgres9.
>> It looks like this was broken just before 10.10 was released, and has
>> since been fixed;
>> see:
>> Your options are:
>>  - find a 10.9 or earlier package and use the pg_dump from that
>>  - build pg_dump yourself
>>  - wait for 10.11 to come out (though I imagine that won't be for a
>> month or two)
>> Regards
>> Ian Barwick
> Thanks a lot, Ian!
> That saved me an upcoming headache. I searched a lot on Google but
> couldn't find any relevant information.
> Will installing Postgres 11 also work? (Not the Ubuntu18.04 default for
> Postgres, but doable).
> Or does those pg_dump versions also expect pg_opfamily to exist?

From the bug that introduced the issue:

"Per bug #15934 from Tom Gottfried.  Back-patch to all supported branches."

So I'm guessing it is in the most recent release of all current versions.

> Thanks for your time!
> Regards,
> Erwin Moller

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Adrian Klaver <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 8/20/19 6:18 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>> Will installing Postgres 11 also work? (Not the Ubuntu18.04 default for
>> Postgres, but doable).
>> Or does those pg_dump versions also expect pg_opfamily to exist?

>  From the bug that introduced the issue:
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=07b39083c
> "Per bug #15934 from Tom Gottfried.  Back-patch to all supported branches."
> So I'm guessing it is in the most recent release of all current versions.

Yeah, it's broken in all the August minor releases.  Sorry about that :-(

Erwin Moller-3
In reply to this post by Adrian Klaver-4

Op 8/20/2019 om 3:32 PM schreef Adrian Klaver:

> On 8/20/19 6:18 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>> Op 8/20/2019 om 2:07 PM schreef Ian Barwick:
>>> On 8/20/19 7:12 PM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>> While trying to move an old 8.1 Postgres install to a new server
>>>> with postgres 10.10, I get an error, listed hereunder:
>>>> I am trying to get a mydump_x_x_x.sql file to use to reinstall on
>>>> the target machine.
>>>>
>>>>  From my new machine I connect to my old machine like this:
>>>> erwin@ubuntu:~$  pg_dump -f "/home/erwin/mydump_$(date
>>>> +%d_%m_%Y).sql" -C -h somehost.com -p 5433 -U myvalidusername -d
>>>> myremotedb
>>>> Password:
>>>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  relation
>>>> "pg_opfamily" does not exist
>>>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT classid, objid,
>>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend WHERE deptype != 'p'
>>>> AND deptype != 'e'
>>>> UNION ALL
>>>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amopfamily AS objid,
>>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amop o WHERE
>>>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amop'::regclass
>>>> AND objid = o.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>>>> amopfamily = refobjid)
>>>> UNION ALL
>>>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amprocfamily AS objid,
>>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amproc p WHERE
>>>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amproc'::regclass
>>>> AND objid = p.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>>>> amprocfamily = refobjid)
>>>> ORDER BY 1,2
>>>>
>>>> And no archive is created.
>>>>
>>>> Does any of you kind people have advice? I am sure this worked on
>>>> postgres9.
>>> It looks like this was broken just before 10.10 was released, and
>>> has since been fixed;
>>> see:
>>> Your options are:
>>>  - find a 10.9 or earlier package and use the pg_dump from that
>>>  - build pg_dump yourself
>>>  - wait for 10.11 to come out (though I imagine that won't be for a
>>> month or two)
>>> Regards
>>> Ian Barwick
>> Thanks a lot, Ian!
>> That saved me an upcoming headache. I searched a lot on Google but
>> couldn't find any relevant information.
>> Will installing Postgres 11 also work? (Not the Ubuntu18.04 default
>> for Postgres, but doable).
>> Or does those pg_dump versions also expect pg_opfamily to exist?
> From the bug that introduced the issue:
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=07b39083c
> "Per bug #15934 from Tom Gottfried.  Back-patch to all supported
> branches."
> So I'm guessing it is in the most recent release of all current versions.

Thank you, Adrian.

That is a bummer.
Since I have no idea how to safely install an older version of pg_dump
alongside my current 10.10 install, I will wait for the patch.

Thank you for your responses!

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Adrian Klaver-4
On 8/20/19 7:37 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:

> Op 8/20/2019 om 3:32 PM schreef Adrian Klaver:
>> On 8/20/19 6:18 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>>> Op 8/20/2019 om 2:07 PM schreef Ian Barwick:
>>>> On 8/20/19 7:12 PM, Erwin Moller wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> While trying to move an old 8.1 Postgres install to a new server
>>>>> with postgres 10.10, I get an error, listed hereunder:
>>>>> I am trying to get a mydump_x_x_x.sql file to use to reinstall on
>>>>> the target machine.
>>>>>
>>>>>  From my new machine I connect to my old machine like this:
>>>>> erwin@ubuntu:~$  pg_dump -f "/home/erwin/mydump_$(date
>>>>> +%d_%m_%Y).sql" -C -h somehost.com -p 5433 -U myvalidusername -d
>>>>> myremotedb
>>>>> Password:
>>>>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  relation
>>>>> "pg_opfamily" does not exist
>>>>> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query was: SELECT classid, objid,
>>>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend WHERE deptype != 'p'
>>>>> AND deptype != 'e'
>>>>> UNION ALL
>>>>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amopfamily AS objid,
>>>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amop o WHERE
>>>>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amop'::regclass
>>>>> AND objid = o.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>>>>> amopfamily = refobjid)
>>>>> UNION ALL
>>>>> SELECT 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AS classid, amprocfamily AS objid,
>>>>> refclassid, refobjid, deptype FROM pg_depend d, pg_amproc p WHERE
>>>>> deptype NOT IN ('p', 'e', 'i') AND classid = 'pg_amproc'::regclass
>>>>> AND objid = p.oid AND NOT (refclassid = 'pg_opfamily'::regclass AND
>>>>> amprocfamily = refobjid)
>>>>> ORDER BY 1,2
>>>>>
>>>>> And no archive is created.
>>>>>
>>>>> Does any of you kind people have advice? I am sure this worked on
>>>>> postgres9.
>>>> It looks like this was broken just before 10.10 was released, and
>>>> has since been fixed;
>>>> see:
>>>>
>>>> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=6844adba54f7d96f30f834efc6d9aa1e52e5672d
>>>> Your options are:
>>>>  - find a 10.9 or earlier package and use the pg_dump from that
>>>>  - build pg_dump yourself
>>>>  - wait for 10.11 to come out (though I imagine that won't be for a
>>>> month or two)
>>>> Regards
>>>> Ian Barwick
>>> Thanks a lot, Ian!
>>> That saved me an upcoming headache. I searched a lot on Google but
>>> couldn't find any relevant information.
>>> Will installing Postgres 11 also work? (Not the Ubuntu18.04 default
>>> for Postgres, but doable).
>>> Or does those pg_dump versions also expect pg_opfamily to exist?
>> From the bug that introduced the issue:
>> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=07b39083c
>> "Per bug #15934 from Tom Gottfried.  Back-patch to all supported
>> branches."
>> So I'm guessing it is in the most recent release of all current versions.
> Thank you, Adrian.
> That is a bummer.
> Since I have no idea how to safely install an older version of pg_dump
> alongside my current 10.10 install, I will wait for the patch.

A quick test showed that:

1) Go here:

2) Grab

3) Using Ark extract pg_dump from data.tar.xz at path
/usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin

./pg_dump -V
pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 11.4 (Ubuntu 11.4-1.pgdg18.10+1)

I do not have a 8.1 instance to try against, so I could not test that part.

> Thank you for your responses!
> Regards,
> Erwin Moller

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Adrian Klaver-4
On 8/20/19 8:02 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 8/20/19 7:37 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:

>> That is a bummer.
>> Since I have no idea how to safely install an older version of pg_dump
>> alongside my current 10.10 install, I will wait for the patch.
> A quick test showed that:
> 1) Go here:
> https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgresql-11/
> 2) Grab
> https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgresql-11/postgresql-client-11_11.4-1.pgdg18.10%2b1_amd64.deb
> 3) Using Ark extract pg_dump from data.tar.xz at path
> /usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin

Just to be clear I did the above in my home directory so as not to
overwrite the installed programs.

Also probably not a bad idea to rename the below to something like
pg_dump_11_4 to keep things straight.

> ./pg_dump -V
> pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 11.4 (Ubuntu 11.4-1.pgdg18.10+1)

> I do not have a 8.1 instance to try against, so I could not test that part.
>> Thank you for your responses!
>> Regards,
>> Erwin Moller

Adrian Klaver
[hidden email]

Erwin Moller-3
On 8/20/2019 5:11 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 8/20/19 8:02 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 8/20/19 7:37 AM, Erwin Moller wrote:

That is a bummer.
Since I have no idea how to safely install an older version of pg_dump alongside my current 10.10 install, I will wait for the patch.

A quick test showed that:

1) Go here:

2) Grab

3) Using Ark extract pg_dump from data.tar.xz at path
/usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin

Just to be clear I did the above in my home directory so as not to overwrite the installed programs.

Also probably not a bad idea to rename the below to something like pg_dump_11_4 to keep things straight.

./pg_dump -V
pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 11.4 (Ubuntu 11.4-1.pgdg18.10+1)

I do not have a 8.1 instance to try against, so I could not test that part

Thanks Adrian,

It took some time for me to get back to this, but thanks to your suggestions I got it working.
Since I am not too familiar with the inner workings of Ubuntu, some of your suggestions took me a while longer to parse, but with succes. ;-)

In case some other unskilled soul like me happens on this problem, here is what I did in babysteps:

I didn't want to grap the version you suggested (11.4), since I run 10.10, so I wanted to be safe and use 10.9 client tools:

Found it here:
postgresql-client-10_10.9-1.pgdg18.10+1_amd64.deb

I created a new directory in my home:
mkdir pg_dump_10.9
cd pg_dump_10.9
wget https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgresql-10/postgresql-client-10_10.9-1.pgdg18.10+1_amd64.deb

now how to extract my pg_dump? After a short Google I did the following:
dpkg-deb -R ./postgresql-client-10_10.9-1.pgdg18.10+1_amd64.deb tmp

then walked to the right (new) directory:
cd tmp/usr/lib/postgresql/10/bin

There it was.: pg_dump from 10.9. Yes!
I moved it to my home-dir, and renamed it as you suggested (to avoid confusion).

Work right from there. :-)

I was expecting all kind of dependencies I had to solve, but it worked right out of the box.

Thanks Adrian.