pgindent && weirdness

pgindent && weirdness

Alvaro Herrera-9
I just ran pgindent over some patch, and noticed that this hunk ended up
in my working tree:

diff --git a/src/backend/statistics/extended_stats.c b/src/backend/statistics/extended_stats.c
index 861a9148ed..fff54062b0 100644
--- a/src/backend/statistics/extended_stats.c
+++ b/src/backend/statistics/extended_stats.c
@@ -1405,13 +1405,13 @@ examine_opclause_expression(OpExpr *expr, Var **varp, Const **cstp, bool *varonl
  if (IsA(rightop, RelabelType))
  rightop = (Node *) ((RelabelType *) rightop)->arg;

- if (IsA(leftop, Var) && IsA(rightop, Const))
+ if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&IsA(rightop, Const))
  {
  var = (Var *) leftop;
  cst = (Const *) rightop;
  varonleft = true;
  }
- else if (IsA(leftop, Const) && IsA(rightop, Var))
+ else if (IsA(leftop, Const) &&IsA(rightop, Var))
  {
  var = (Var *) rightop;
  cst = (Const *) leftop;

This seems a really strange change; this
git grep '&&[^([:space:]]' -- *.c
shows that we already have a dozen or so occurrences already.  (That's
ignoring execExprInterp.c's use of computed gotos.)

I don't care all that much, but wanted to throw it out in case somebody
is specifically interested in studying pgindent's logic, since the last
round of changes has yielded excellent results.

Thanks,

Álvaro Herrera                PostgreSQL Expert, https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> I just ran pgindent over some patch, and noticed that this hunk ended up
> in my working tree:

> - if (IsA(leftop, Var) && IsA(rightop, Const))
> + if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&IsA(rightop, Const))

Yeah, it's been doing that for decades.  I think the triggering
factor is the typedef name (Var, here) preceding the &&.

It'd be nice to fix properly, but I've tended to take the path
of least resistance by breaking such lines to avoid the ugliness:

if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&
            IsA(rightop, Const))

Bruce Momjian
On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 05:30:21PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I just ran pgindent over some patch, and noticed that this hunk ended up
> > in my working tree:
> > - if (IsA(leftop, Var) && IsA(rightop, Const))
> > + if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&IsA(rightop, Const))
> Yeah, it's been doing that for decades.  I think the triggering
> factor is the typedef name (Var, here) preceding the &&.
> It'd be nice to fix properly, but I've tended to take the path
> of least resistance by breaking such lines to avoid the ugliness:
> if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&
>    IsA(rightop, Const))

In the past I would use a post-processing step after BSD indent to fix
up these problems.

Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Thomas Munro-5
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:30 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I just ran pgindent over some patch, and noticed that this hunk ended up
> > in my working tree:
> > -     if (IsA(leftop, Var) && IsA(rightop, Const))
> > +     if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&IsA(rightop, Const))
> Yeah, it's been doing that for decades.  I think the triggering
> factor is the typedef name (Var, here) preceding the &&.
> It'd be nice to fix properly, but I've tended to take the path
> of least resistance by breaking such lines to avoid the ugliness:
>         if (IsA(leftop, Var) &&
>             IsA(rightop, Const))

I am on vacation away from the Internet this week but somehow saw this
on my phone and couldn't stop myself from peeking at pg_bsd_ident
again. Yeah, "(Var)" (where Var is a known typename) causes it to
think that any following operator must be unary.

One way to fix that in the cases Alvaro is referring to is to tell
override the setting so that && (and likewise ||) are never considered
to be unary, though I haven't tested this much and there are surely
other ways to achieve this:

diff --git a/lexi.c b/lexi.c
index d43723c..6de3227 100644
--- a/lexi.c
+++ b/lexi.c
@@ -655,6 +655,12 @@ stop_lit:
            unary_delim = state->last_u_d;
            break;
        }
+       /* && and || are never unary */
+       if ((token[0] == '&' && *buf_ptr == '&') ||
+               (token[0] == '|' && *buf_ptr == '|'))
+               state->last_u_d = false;
        while (*(e_token - 1) == *buf_ptr || *buf_ptr == '=') {
             * handle ||, &&, etc, and also things as in int *****i

The problem with that is that && sometimes *should* be formatted like
a unary operator: when it's part of the nonstandard GCC computed goto
syntax.

Thomas Munro-5
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Thomas Munro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:30 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yeah, it's been doing that for decades.  I think the triggering
> > factor is the typedef name (Var, here) preceding the &&.

Here's a better fix:

diff --git a/indent.c b/indent.c
index 9faf57a..51a60a6 100644
--- a/indent.c
+++ b/indent.c
@@ -570,8 +570,11 @@ check_type:
                ps.in_or_st = false;    /* turn off flag for structure decl or
                                         * initialization */
            }
-           /* parenthesized type following sizeof or offsetof is not a cast */
-           if (ps.keyword == 1 || ps.keyword == 2)
+           /*
+                * parenthesized type following sizeof or offsetof is
not a cast;
+                * likewise for function-like macros that take a type
+                */
+           if (ps.keyword == 1 || ps.keyword == 2 || ps.last_token == ident)
                ps.not_cast_mask |= 1 << ps.p_l_follow;
            break;

Alvaro Herrera-9
On 2020-Jan-17, Thomas Munro wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Thomas Munro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:30 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Yeah, it's been doing that for decades.  I think the triggering
> > > factor is the typedef name (Var, here) preceding the &&.
> Here's a better fix:

This is indeed a very good fix!  Several badly formatted sites in our
code are improved with this change.

Thanks,

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Michael Paquier-2
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 06:13:36PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> This is indeed a very good fix!  Several badly formatted sites in our
> code are improved with this change.

Nice find!  Could you commit that?  I can see many places improved as
well, among explain.c, tablecmds.c, typecmds.c, and much more.
Michael

Alvaro Herrera-9
On 2020-Jan-17, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 06:13:36PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This is indeed a very good fix!  Several badly formatted sites in our
> > code are improved with this change.
> Nice find!  Could you commit that?  I can see many places improved as
> well, among explain.c, tablecmds.c, typecmds.c, and much more.

I think Tom is the only one who can commit that,

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2020-Jan-17, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Nice find!  Could you commit that?  I can see many places improved as
>> well, among explain.c, tablecmds.c, typecmds.c, and much more.

> I think Tom is the only one who can commit that,
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pg_bsd_indent.git

I don't *think* that repo is locked down that hard --- IIRC,
PG committers should have access to it.  But I was hoping to
hear Piotr's opinion before moving forward.

Alvaro Herrera-9
On 2020-Jan-16, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On 2020-Jan-17, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >> Nice find!  Could you commit that?  I can see many places improved as
> >> well, among explain.c, tablecmds.c, typecmds.c, and much more.
> > I think Tom is the only one who can commit that,
> > https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pg_bsd_indent.git
> I don't *think* that repo is locked down that hard --- IIRC,
> PG committers should have access to it.  But I was hoping to
> hear Piotr's opinion before moving forward.

FWIW I think this code predates Piotr's involvement, I think; at least,
it was already there in the FreeBSD code he imported:

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2020-Jan-16, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... But I was hoping to
>> hear Piotr's opinion before moving forward.

> FWIW I think this code predates Piotr's involvement, I think; at least,
> it was already there in the FreeBSD code he imported:
> https://github.com/pstef/freebsd_indent/commit/55c29a8774923f2d40fef7919b9490f61e57e7bb#diff-85c94ae15198235e2363f96216b9a1b2R565

The roots of that code are even older than Postgres, I believe,
and there may not be anybody left who understands it completely.
But Piotr has certainly spent more time looking at it than I have,
so I'd still like to hear what he thinks.

Thomas Munro-5
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 3:58 PM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On 2020-Jan-16, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ... But I was hoping to
> >> hear Piotr's opinion before moving forward.

Me too.

Thinking about this again: It's obviously not true that everything
that looks like a function call is not a cast.  You could have
"my_cast(Type)" that expands to "(Type)" or some slightly more useful
variant of that, and then "my_cast(Type) -1" would, with this patch
applied, be reformatted as "my_cast(Type) - 1" because it'd err on the
side of thinking that the expression produces a value and therefore
the minus sign must be a binary operator that needs whitespace on both
sides, and that'd be wrong.  However, it seems to me that macros that
expand to raw cast syntax (and I mean just "(Type)", not a complete
cast including the value to be cast, like "((Type) (x))") must be rare
and unusual things, and I think it's better to err on the side of
thinking that function-like macros are values, not casts.  That's all
the change does, and fortunately the authors of indent showed how to
do that with their existing special cases for offsetof and sizeof; I'm
just extending that treatment to any identifier.

Is there some other case I'm not thinking of that is confused by the
change?  I'm sure you could contrive something it screws up, but my
question is about real code that people would actually write.  Piotr,
is there an easy way to reindent some large non-PostgreSQL body of
code that uses a cousin of this code to see if it gets better or worse
with the change?

Alvaro Herrera-9
On 2020-Feb-17, Thomas Munro wrote:

> Thinking about this again: It's obviously not true that everything
> that looks like a function call is not a cast.  You could have
> "my_cast(Type)" that expands to "(Type)" or some slightly more useful
> variant of that, and then "my_cast(Type) -1" would, with this patch
> applied, be reformatted as "my_cast(Type) - 1" because it'd err on the
> side of thinking that the expression produces a value and therefore
> the minus sign must be a binary operator that needs whitespace on both
> sides, and that'd be wrong.  However, it seems to me that macros that
> expand to raw cast syntax (and I mean just "(Type)", not a complete
> cast including the value to be cast, like "((Type) (x))") must be rare
> and unusual things, and I think it's better to err on the side of
> thinking that function-like macros are values, not casts.  That's all
> the change does, and fortunately the authors of indent showed how to
> do that with their existing special cases for offsetof and sizeof; I'm
> just extending that treatment to any identifier.

Hmm ... this suggests to me that if you remove these alleged special
cases for offsetof and sizeof, the new code handles them correctly
anyway.  Do you think it's worth giving that a try?  Not because
removing the special cases would have any value, but rather to see if
anything interesting pops up.

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Thomas Munro-5
On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 4:35 AM Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hmm ... this suggests to me that if you remove these alleged special
> cases for offsetof and sizeof, the new code handles them correctly
> anyway.  Do you think it's worth giving that a try?  Not because
> removing the special cases would have any value, but rather to see if
> anything interesting pops up.

Good thought, since keywords also have last_token == ident so it's
redundant to check the keyword.  But while testing that I realised
that either way we get this wrong:

-                       return (int) *s1 - (int) *s2;
+                       return (int) * s1 - (int) *s2;

So I think the right formulation is one that allows offsetof and
sizeof to receive not-a-cast treatment, but not any other known
keyword:

diff --git a/indent.c b/indent.c
index 9faf57a..ed6dce2 100644
--- a/indent.c
+++ b/indent.c
@@ -570,8 +570,15 @@ check_type:
                ps.in_or_st = false;    /* turn off flag for structure decl or
                                         * initialization */
            }
-           /* parenthesized type following sizeof or offsetof is not a cast */
-           if (ps.keyword == 1 || ps.keyword == 2)
+           /*
+                * parenthesized type following sizeof or offsetof is not a
+                * cast; we also assume the same about similar macros,
+                * so if there is any other non-keyword identifier immediately
+                * preceding a type name in parens we won't consider it to be
+                * a cast
+                */
+           if (ps.last_token == ident &&
+                       (ps.keyword == 0 || ps.keyword == 1 || ps.keyword == 2))
                ps.not_cast_mask |= 1 << ps.p_l_follow;
            break;

Another problem is that there is one thing in our tree that looks like
a non-cast under the new rule, but it actually expands to a type name,
so now we get that wrong!  (I mean, unpatched indent doesn't really
understand it either, it thinks it's a cast, but at least it knows the
following * is not a binary operator):

-       STACK_OF(X509_NAME) *root_cert_list = NULL;
+       STACK_OF(X509_NAME) * root_cert_list = NULL;

That's a macro from an OpenSSL header.  Not sure what to do about that.

Thomas Munro <[hidden email]> writes:
> Another problem is that there is one thing in our tree that looks like
> a non-cast under the new rule, but it actually expands to a type name,
> so now we get that wrong!  (I mean, unpatched indent doesn't really
> understand it either, it thinks it's a cast, but at least it knows the
> following * is not a binary operator):

> -       STACK_OF(X509_NAME) *root_cert_list = NULL;
> +       STACK_OF(X509_NAME) * root_cert_list = NULL;

> That's a macro from an OpenSSL header.  Not sure what to do about that.

If we get that wrong, but a hundred other places look better,
I'm not too fussed about it.

Thomas Munro-5
On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:42 PM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas Munro <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Another problem is that there is one thing in our tree that looks like
> > a non-cast under the new rule, but it actually expands to a type name,
> > so now we get that wrong!  (I mean, unpatched indent doesn't really
> > understand it either, it thinks it's a cast, but at least it knows the
> > following * is not a binary operator):
> > -       STACK_OF(X509_NAME) *root_cert_list = NULL;
> > +       STACK_OF(X509_NAME) * root_cert_list = NULL;
> > That's a macro from an OpenSSL header.  Not sure what to do about that.
> If we get that wrong, but a hundred other places look better,
> I'm not too fussed about it.
Here's the patch I propose to commit to pg_bsd_indent, if the repo
lets me, and here's the result of running it on the PG tree today.

I suppose the principled way to fix that problem with STACK_OF(x)
would be to have a user-supplied list of function-like-macros that
expand to a type name, but I'm not planning to waste time on that.

0001-Fix-formatting-of-macros-that-take-types.patch (2K) Download Attachment
0001-Fix-formatting-of-IsA-and-similar-macros.patch (31K) Download Attachment

Thomas Munro <[hidden email]> writes:
> Here's the patch I propose to commit to pg_bsd_indent, if the repo
> lets me, and here's the result of running it on the PG tree today.

+1.  I think the repo will let you in, but if not, I can do it.

Alvaro Herrera-9
In reply to this post by Thomas Munro-5
On 2020-May-16, Thomas Munro wrote:

> Here's the patch I propose to commit to pg_bsd_indent, if the repo
> lets me, and here's the result of running it on the PG tree today.

Looks good.  Of all these changes in PG, only two are of the STACK_OK()
nature, and there are 38 places that get better.

> I suppose the principled way to fix that problem with STACK_OF(x)
> would be to have a user-supplied list of function-like-macros that
> expand to a type name, but I'm not planning to waste time on that.

+1 on just ignoring that problem as insignificant.

Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Alvaro Herrera <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2020-May-16, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> Here's the patch I propose to commit to pg_bsd_indent, if the repo
>> lets me, and here's the result of running it on the PG tree today.

> Looks good.  Of all these changes in PG, only two are of the STACK_OK()
> nature, and there are 38 places that get better.

It should also be noted that there are a lot of places where we've
programmed around this silliness by artificially breaking conditions
using IsA() into multiple lines.  So the "38 places" is a lowball
estimate of how much of a problem this has been.

Thomas Munro-5
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Here's the patch I propose to commit to pg_bsd_indent, if the repo
> > lets me, and here's the result of running it on the PG tree today.
> +1.  I think the repo will let you in, but if not, I can do it.

It seems I cannot.  Please go ahead.

I'll eventually see if I can get this into FreeBSD's usr.bin/indent.
It's possible that that process results in a request to make it
optional (some project with a lot of STACK_OF- and no IsA-style macros
wouldn't like it), but I don't think it hurts to commit it to our copy
like this in the meantime to fix our weird formatting problem.