pgsql function for roman2decimal?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pgsql function for roman2decimal?

F Bax
I found simple code for PHP to convert roman numeral to decimal here:
Can this be accomplished with a pgsql function?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pgsql function for roman2decimal?

Bruce Momjian
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 04:38:59PM -0400, F Bax wrote:
> I found simple code for PHP to convert roman numeral to decimal here:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6265596/
> how-to-convert-a-roman-numeral-to-integer-in-php  
>
> Can this be accomplished with a pgsql function?

Someone worked on this in 2017 but it was never added due to lack of
interest.  I am sure it can be cleaned up and added to PG 14 if there is
demand:

        https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAGMVOduAJ9wKqJXBYnmFmEetKxapJxrG3afUwpbOZ6n_dWaUnA%40mail.gmail.com

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

  The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pgsql function for roman2decimal?

Erik Brandsberg
This really feels like something that should be part of a module and not the core code.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 5:02 PM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 04:38:59PM -0400, F Bax wrote:
> I found simple code for PHP to convert roman numeral to decimal here:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6265596/
> how-to-convert-a-roman-numeral-to-integer-in-php  
>
> Can this be accomplished with a pgsql function?

Someone worked on this in 2017 but it was never added due to lack of
interest.  I am sure it can be cleaned up and added to PG 14 if there is
demand:

        https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAGMVOduAJ9wKqJXBYnmFmEetKxapJxrG3afUwpbOZ6n_dWaUnA%40mail.gmail.com

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

  The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee





--
Erik Brandsberg
[hidden email]

www.heimdalldata.com
+1 (866) 433-2824 x 700
AWS Competency Program
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pgsql function for roman2decimal?

Bruce Momjian
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 05:14:27PM -0400, Erik Brandsberg wrote:
> This really feels like something that should be part of a module and not the
> core code.

Well, we already do the numeric to Roman conversion, so doing the
reverse seems to make sense:

        SELECT to_char(335, 'RN');
             to_char
        -----------------
                 CCCXXXV

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

  The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pgsql function for roman2decimal?

Erik Brandsberg
If the core code already does one direction (I didn't know this) then I would agree.  It seems that both would make sense to be in a separate module, due to the rarity of use, possibly just as an "exotic function" module, which would have a lower barrier of entry to adding code to.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 5:24 PM Bruce Momjian <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 05:14:27PM -0400, Erik Brandsberg wrote:
> This really feels like something that should be part of a module and not the
> core code.

Well, we already do the numeric to Roman conversion, so doing the
reverse seems to make sense:

        SELECT to_char(335, 'RN');
             to_char
        -----------------
                 CCCXXXV

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

  The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee



--
Erik Brandsberg
[hidden email]

www.heimdalldata.com
+1 (866) 433-2824 x 700
AWS Competency Program
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pgsql function for roman2decimal?

Bruce Momjian
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 05:28:51PM -0400, Erik Brandsberg wrote:
> If the core code already does one direction (I didn't know this) then I would
> agree.  It seems that both would make sense to be in a separate module, due to
> the rarity of use, possibly just as an "exotic function" module, which would
> have a lower barrier of entry to adding code to.

Well, I don't think we would remove the numeric to Roman conversion
since it would break backward compatibility, and it isn't much code, so
going in the forward direction of adding a Roman to numeric conversion
would make sense in the core code.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[hidden email]>        https://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

  The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, Bruce Lee