postgis for beta releases

postgis for beta releases

Justin Pryzby
Would you consider building packages during beta ?

This would allow us to do testing more easily, and I'm guessing that's true for
other people too, which leads to wider field testing.

Re: postgis for beta releases

Paul Ramsey

> On Jul 10, 2020, at 1:04 PM, Justin Pryzby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would you consider building packages during beta ?
> This would allow us to do testing more easily, and I'm guessing that's true for
> other people too, which leads to wider field testing.

Re: postgis for beta releases

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
In reply to this post by Justin Pryzby

On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 15:04 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Would you consider building packages during beta ?

You mean PostGIS 3.1? I thought I pushed it already :(

Built packages now. They will sync soon  to v13 testing repos. Would
you like me to build against v12 as well?

Regards,
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

Re: postgis for beta releases

Justin Pryzby
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 05:09:12PM +0100, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 15:04 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Would you consider building packages during beta ?
> You mean PostGIS 3.1? I thought I pushed it already :(

I think the postgis that exists for the stable release(12) should also be built
for the beta release(13).  That allows test upgrades by 1) installing same
postgis for new postgres; and 2) pg_upgrade.

Whether to build a new version of postgis is a separate question, but if you
do, I'd suggest to build for both versions of postgres when possible.  That
allows choice of which to upgrade first.

During beta period in previous years, postgis has been the one important thing
missing.  That requires us to drop our postgis columns for beta testing.  Last
year for the first time, I instead built postgis locally on a couple servers.

I think most packages aren't built for beta, which is no problem (although I
think they sometimes needed to be added after the fact).  These are on our
list: pg_repack, fincore, libpqxx-devel.

Justin

Re: postgis for beta releases

Justin Pryzby
In reply to this post by Devrim GÜNDÜZ
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 05:09:12PM +0100, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi,
> On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 15:04 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Would you consider building packages during beta ?
> You mean PostGIS 3.1? I thought I pushed it already :(
> Built packages now. They will sync soon  to v13 testing repos. Would
> you like me to build against v12 as well?

Thanks - I see that postgis31 is available for postgres13.

As I mentioned, I think postgis30 should *also* be built for v13, and postgis31
should *maybe* be built for v12:

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 11:46:20AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> I think the postgis that exists for the stable release(12) should also be built
> for the beta release(13).  That allows test upgrades by 1) installing same
> postgis for new postgres; and 2) pg_upgrade.
> Whether to build a new version of postgis is a separate question, but if you
> do, I'd suggest to build for both versions of postgres when possible.  That
> allows choice of which to upgrade first.
> During beta period in previous years, postgis has been the one important thing
> missing.  That requires us to drop our postgis columns for beta testing.  Last
> year for the first time, I instead built postgis locally on a couple servers.
> I think most packages aren't built for beta, which is no problem (although I
> think they sometimes needed to be added after the fact).  These are on our
> list: pg_repack, fincore, libpqxx-devel.

Re: postgis for beta releases

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

On Tue, 2020-07-21 at 13:16 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> As I mentioned, I think postgis30 should *also* be built for v13, and
> postgis31
> should *maybe* be built for v12:

Pushing them to v11 and v12 *testing* repos in an hour or so.

Regards,
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

Re: postgis for beta releases

Justin Pryzby
On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 11:14:43AM +0100, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-07-21 at 13:16 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > As I mentioned, I think postgis30 should *also* be built for v13, and
> > postgis31 should *maybe* be built for v12:
> Pushing them to v11 and v12 *testing* repos in an hour or so.

Note, I still suggest that postgis30 and postgis31 should *both* be built for
postgres13 and (at least) postgres12.

I've done a couple test upgrades from pg12 to 13, some using pg_dump/restore,
some using pg_upgrade.  In both cases, I first had to do:

|DROP AGGREGATE st_union(geometry);
|DROP FUNCTION pgis_geometry_union_transfn;

I guess postgis30 and 31 are "compatible enough" that I was able to restore a
postgis30 DB into a DB with only postgis31 available.

Normally, I'd have to do a "rolling upgrade", either:
(pg12+gis30) => (pg12+gis31) => (pg13+gis31), or:
(pg12+gis30) => (pg13+gis30) => (pg13+gis31).

I guess this is related to postgis commit 75a044c61:

|Author: Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]>
|Date:   Fri Oct 4 18:25:46 2019 +0000
|    Restore ST_Union() aggregate signature and re-work...

Justin

Re: postgis for beta releases

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Hi Justin,

On Sat, 2020-09-12 at 16:56 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Note, I still suggest that postgis30 and postgis31 should *both* be
> built for
> postgres13 and (at least) postgres12.

:( Looks like you found *the* only package I forgot to move from
12testing to 12 stable repos. Just built it against v12 and v11. Will
sync them on Thursday latest, along with PG 13 rc1.

Regards,