postgres server crash

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

postgres server crash

Prabin Gade
Message
Hi all,
 
I am running DBT2 benchmarks on a 4 way Win 2003 server when the postgres server process crashes. Then I tried on a 1 GB P4 desktop running XP and could reproduce the problem quite often. The error message is at the end of this mail.
 
I did the following to dig more into the problem:
  • The server crashes with default postgresql.conf parameters
  • I tried to get more log info by turned few log params in postgresql.conf file and ran it for only 1 connection. To my surprise there was no crash and the entire DBT2 ran successfully.
  • Then I started making the log params one by one default so that I can zero on the log param which is making it pass. I see turning log_min_error_statement to a debug level is not causing server crash for 1 connection.
  • Then I tried to increase the no. of connections to 20 and see that it crashes always.
I had run the DBT2 tests on the same box on SLES 9.0 without any problems. Hence I suspect this is a win32 port problem.
 
It seems the server is crashing on a wait. Anyone else faced this problem/any reasons for this failure ?
 
 
"LOG:  server process (PID 940) was terminated by signal 5
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the curre
nt transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and po
ssibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat yo
ur command.
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the curre
nt transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and po
ssibly corrupted shared memory."
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: postgres server crash

Magnus Hagander
> Hi all,
>  
> I am running DBT2 benchmarks on a 4 way Win 2003 server when
> the postgres server process crashes. Then I tried on a 1 GB
> P4 desktop running XP and could reproduce the problem quite
> often. The error message is at the end of this mail.
>  
> I did the following to dig more into the problem:
>
> * The server crashes with default postgresql.conf parameters
> * I tried to get more log info by turned few log params
> in postgresql.conf file and ran it for only 1 connection. To
> my surprise there was no crash and the entire DBT2 ran successfully.
> * Then I started making the log params one by one default
> so that I can zero on the log param which is making it pass.
> I see turning log_min_error_statement to a debug level is not
> causing server crash for 1 connection.
> * Then I tried to increase the no. of connections to 20
> and see that it crashes always.
>
> I had run the DBT2 tests on the same box on SLES 9.0 without
> any problems. Hence I suspect this is a win32 port problem.

Seems reasonable to expact that, yes :)


> It seems the server is crashing on a wait.

What makes you say this?
Any chance you could get a debugger attached to the crashing process and
show us where it dies?


//Magnus

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq