postgresql history - article

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

postgresql history - article

Pavel Stehule
Hello

year ago I wrote a article about PostgreSQL history.

Now I am sending a link - translated by Google from Czech. I hope, so
informations from this article can be useful although it is translated
automatically.

http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpostgres.cz%2Fwiki%2FHistorie_projektu_PostgreSQL

Regards

Pavel


--
Sent via pgsql-advocacy mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: postgresql history - article

Pavel Stehule
2013/5/15 Pavel Stehule <[hidden email]>:
> Hello
>
> year ago I wrote a article about PostgreSQL history.
>
> Now I am sending a link - translated by Google from Czech. I hope, so
> informations from this article can be useful although it is translated
> automatically.
>
> http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpostgres.cz%2Fwiki%2FHistorie_projektu_PostgreSQL

sorry better link

http://translate.google.cz/translate?hl=cs&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpostgres.cz%2Fwiki%2FHistorie_projektu_PostgreSQL

possibly to use google translator manually - original text
http://postgres.cz/wiki/Historie_projektu_PostgreSQL

>
> Regards
>
> Pavel


--
Sent via pgsql-advocacy mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: postgresql history - article

Oleg Bartunov
In reply to this post by Pavel Stehule
Pavel,

I think the article is too wide. PostgreSQL history described very little, so I thought
at first it was wrote not by old member of our community :) For example, I think
that my first patch for postgres, which introduced locale support was important
for european users, Vadim Mikheev work on MVCC was very important (remove time-travel
for mvcc), nothing was written about our (me and Teodor) work on extendability of
postgres (GiST, GIN, SP-GiST), full-text search. I think every developer could write
a brief list of his contribution (important). Then we could obtain a big list, ordered
by date with links to hackers. This list could be commented by several sentences, so
we'll eventually have real PG history. Moreover, we could store it in one table and
have online version.

Oleg
On Wed, 15 May 2013, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Hello
>
> year ago I wrote a article about PostgreSQL history.
>
> Now I am sending a link - translated by Google from Czech. I hope, so
> informations from this article can be useful although it is translated
> automatically.
>
> http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpostgres.cz%2Fwiki%2FHistorie_projektu_PostgreSQL
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel
>
>
>

  Regards,
  Oleg
_____________________________________________________________
Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
Internet: [hidden email], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83


--
Sent via pgsql-advocacy mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: postgresql history - article

Pavel Stehule
Hi Oleg

2013/5/15 Oleg Bartunov <[hidden email]>:

> Pavel,
>
> I think the article is too wide. PostgreSQL history described very little,
> so I thought
> at first it was wrote not by old member of our community :) For example, I
> think
> that my first patch for postgres, which introduced locale support was
> important for european users, Vadim Mikheev work on MVCC was very important
> (remove time-travel
> for mvcc), nothing was written about our (me and Teodor) work on
> extendability of postgres (GiST, GIN, SP-GiST), full-text search. I think
> every developer could write a brief list of his contribution (important).
> Then we could obtain a big list, ordered by date with links to hackers. This
> list could be commented by several sentences, so
> we'll eventually have real PG history. Moreover, we could store it in one
> table and
> have online version.
>
> Oleg
>

sure, I am not old member :-) I started at 2004.

This article is not fully complete - I didn't find good materials
about community postgresql history - there is only mailing list and
release notes, nothing more. At time when I wrote this article, I was
fascinated older history - about academic Postgres and Ingres - and
this time is perfectly described by Stonebraker in lot of documents.
So it is clean, so strong part of this document is about this era. I
am thinking so there is relatively enough knowledges about community -
it is not too long history, but older times are little bit hidden -
probably nobody in Czech Republic has good information about Ingres
history and about relations between PostgreSQL and Informix - so It
was my primary target.

I invite, with pleasure, any notices, infos from any PostgreSQL veterans :)

Regards

Pavel

> On Wed, 15 May 2013, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> year ago I wrote a article about PostgreSQL history.
>>
>> Now I am sending a link - translated by Google from Czech. I hope, so
>> informations from this article can be useful although it is translated
>> automatically.
>>
>>
>> http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpostgres.cz%2Fwiki%2FHistorie_projektu_PostgreSQL
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pavel
>>
>>
>>
>
>         Regards,
>                 Oleg
> _____________________________________________________________
> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
> Internet: [hidden email], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83


--
Sent via pgsql-advocacy mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy