@postgresql is now live

@postgresql is now live

Jonathan S. Katz-3

The PostgreSQL community’s official Twitter account is now live:

Please follow!

The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual postings that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way for us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our advocacy efforts.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: @postgresql is now live

Joe Conway
On 01/05/2018 06:21 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> Hi,
> The PostgreSQL community’s official Twitter account is now live:
> https://twitter.com/postgresql
> Please follow!
> The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual postings
> that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way for
> us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our
> advocacy efforts.
Shouldn't this be sent to announce? (I'm behind working through my
postgres mail, so perhaps I haven't seen it yet?)

Joe

Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com
PostgreSQL Support for Secure Enterprises
Consulting, Training, & Open Source Development

Re: @postgresql is now live

Jonathan S. Katz-3
Hi Joe,

> On Jan 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Joe Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/05/2018 06:21 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The PostgreSQL community’s official Twitter account is now live:
>> https://twitter.com/postgresql
>> Please follow!
>> The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual postings
>> that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way for
>> us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our
>> advocacy efforts.
> Shouldn't this be sent to announce? (I'm behind working through my
> postgres mail, so perhaps I haven't seen it yet?)

Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
for an announcement of this nature?

Jonathan

Re: @postgresql is now live

Joe Conway
On 01/05/2018 02:41 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>> On Jan 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Joe Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 01/05/2018 06:21 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>>> The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual postings
>>> that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way for
>>> us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our
>>> advocacy efforts.
>> Shouldn't this be sent to announce? (I'm behind working through my
>> postgres mail, so perhaps I haven't seen it yet?)
> Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
> that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
> for an announcement of this nature?
I'm not sure, but it seems that since this twitter account is explicitly
a community resource, it should not be an issue to use another community
resource (namely the announce list) to drive adoption.

Joe

Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com
PostgreSQL Support for Secure Enterprises
Consulting, Training, & Open Source Development

Re: @postgresql is now live

Marcin Cieslak
In reply to this post by Jonathan S. Katz-3
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> Hi Joe,
> Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
> that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
> for an announcement of this nature?

Would it be difficult to maintain also a Mastodon account (with
possibility to post 500 characters)? I am only not sure
which instance should we pick (there are over one thousand of them...)

Some general info is available at https://joinmastodon.org
After all, all instances run on PostgreSQL.

Of course, I am happy to help with this if needed!

Marcin

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: @postgresql is now live

Justin Clift-2
In reply to this post by Joe Conway
On 2018-01-05 22:45, Joe Conway wrote:

> On 01/05/2018 02:41 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>>> On Jan 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Joe Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 01/05/2018 06:21 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>>>> The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual
>>>> postings
>>>> that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way
>>>> for
>>>> us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our
>>>> advocacy efforts.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't this be sent to announce? (I'm behind working through my
>>> postgres mail, so perhaps I haven't seen it yet?)
>> Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
>> that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
>> for an announcement of this nature?
> I'm not sure, but it seems that since this twitter account is
> explicitly
> a community resource, it should not be an issue to use another
> community
> resource (namely the announce list) to drive adoption.

+1 :)

+ Justin

Re: @postgresql is now live

Stephen Frost
In reply to this post by Marcin Cieslak
Greetings,

* Marcin Cieslak ([hidden email]) wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
> > that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
> > for an announcement of this nature?
> Would it be difficult to maintain also a Mastodon account (with
> possibility to post 500 characters)? I am only not sure
> which instance should we pick (there are over one thousand of them...)

Well, one of the cool things about Mastodon is that we could actually
run our own instance of it and that's been discussed before.  If there's
enough interest, we could put some effort into it, the unfortuante thing
is that it's a stack that we (pginfra) aren't terribly familiar with
(or, well, maybe not 'keen' on it would be more accurate..).

> Some general info is available at https://joinmastodon.org
> After all, all instances run on PostgreSQL.

Yes..  with that thing on top of PG. ;)

> Of course, I am happy to help with this if needed!

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: @postgresql is now live

Stephen Frost
In reply to this post by Justin Clift-2
* Justin Clift ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 2018-01-05 22:45, Joe Conway wrote:
> >On 01/05/2018 02:41 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> >>>On Jan 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Joe Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>On 01/05/2018 06:21 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> >>>>The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual
> >>>>postings
> >>>>that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way
> >>>>for
> >>>>us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our
> >>>>advocacy efforts.
> >>>
> >>>Shouldn't this be sent to announce? (I'm behind working through my
> >>>postgres mail, so perhaps I haven't seen it yet?)
> >>
> >>Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
> >>that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
> >>for an announcement of this nature?
> >I'm not sure, but it seems that since this twitter account is explicitly
> >a community resource, it should not be an issue to use another community
> >resource (namely the announce list) to drive adoption.
> +1 :)
+1, it's been discussed before and I agree that we should send something
to -announce, just need to figure out when/how.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: @postgresql is now live

Jonathan S. Katz-3

On Jan 5, 2018, at 7:25 PM, Stephen Frost <[hidden email]> wrote:

* Justin Clift ([hidden email]) wrote:
On 2018-01-05 22:45, Joe Conway wrote:
On 01/05/2018 02:41 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
On Jan 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Joe Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/05/2018 06:21 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
The Twitter account will contain a mix of automated and manual
postings
that are all community-oriented.  We’re excited to have another way
for
us to better engage with our users as we continue to modernize our
advocacy efforts.

Shouldn't this be sent to announce? (I'm behind working through my
postgres mail, so perhaps I haven't seen it yet?)

Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
for an announcement of this nature?

I'm not sure, but it seems that since this twitter account is explicitly
a community resource, it should not be an issue to use another community
resource (namely the announce list) to drive adoption.

+1 :)

+1, it's been discussed before and I agree that we should send something
to -announce, just need to figure out when/how.

We’re targeting an announcement for Monday, just having some language
finalized as it will be coming from the PostgreSQL Global Development Group :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: @postgresql is now live

gabriel morin
In reply to this post by Marcin Cieslak
P

2018-01-05 18:07 GMT-05:00, Marcin Cieslak <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi Joe,
>> Maybe: we’ve been focused on getting it up and developing content,
>> that in all honesty it did not cross my mind.  Is there precedent
>> for an announcement of this nature?
> Would it be difficult to maintain also a Mastodon account (with
> possibility to post 500 characters)? I am only not sure
> which instance should we pick (there are over one thousand of them...)
> Some general info is available at https://joinmastodon.org
> After all, all instances run on PostgreSQL.
> Of course, I am happy to help with this if needed!
> Marcin